Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

With some of the Aussies though they like if you can give a bit back something a long the lines of accusing them of having sexual intercourse with kangaroos. They usually respect the retort and you can build great friendships based around casual racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You think people in this country know that about the Basque region and Catalonia?

Not a chance!

Most educated people in Ireland would know they're part of Spain. It's not rocket science. Maybe you think it is? :confused: By the way, I'm comparing like with like here....my students are all very educated people.....so educated they and high up in their companies that they can still get English classes in a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Most educated people in Ireland would know they're part of Spain. It's not rocket science. Maybe you think it is? :confused: By the way, I'm comparing like with like here....my students are all very educated people.....so educated they and high up in their companies that they can still get English classes in a crisis.

I work with people from many countries.
    And people's knowledge of the world outside of Ireland is limited.
    For example three Saudis I know said I was the first among all the Irish people they have met who EVER heard of the city of Riyadh!!
    I also dated a girl from Barcelona who always described herself as from Spain in exasperation. People here wouldn't have understood was was meant by anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Been called a "free state bastard" a few times while playing GAA against northern teams I usually just laughed at them.
    The Best one I've heard recently though is from a friend of mine who moved to Armagh and transferred to a local GAA team.
    He was playing a championship match when the guy marking him called him "a fcuking mexican" All my mate could do was burst out laughing.
    Sometimes bigotry can be very funny
    Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Never heard this.

I assume it a poor neighbours coming here for the work reference?

Mexicans are South of the border, and poorer. ( Historically).

This is the only racist insult where it is also racist to take offence.
    For example three Saudis I know said I was the first among all the Irish people they have met who EVER heard of the city of Riyadh!!
    I also dated a girl from Barcelona who always described herself as from Spain in exasperation. People here wouldn't have understood was was meant by anything else.

It is part of the state of Spain, in the same way that Ireland - the Republic - is not part of the UK. If Catalonia were a separate nation, I would know it.

This should be elementary.

I was coming back from Istanbul for a work trip via London Heathrow. so i was flying with British Airways from Istanbul. The guy checking passports asked me 'You are British?' I replied no i'm Irish.. He then said 'yeah but aren't they the same thing?' I just replied 'No it's a whole different country'

He just waved my passport back at me with a smirk on his face and also i heard an English girl behind me snigger to herself.

I travel a lot to different countries every week, other than this incident i havent come across anything, other than the usual taking off of an Irish accent that they try. But that's all in jest in my eyes i don't take it to heart.

Saying that though i don't exactly have a 'strong' Irish accent so maybe a lot of people don't pick up that i am Irish. I've been told i have a neutral accent and often get asked where I'm from.

I'm amazed at how many people give you that condescending, 'yea, sure it's a different country' attitude, as if you're just being awkward. It's one thing for someone from Northern Ireland to claim they're not British but I think a lot of people just can't get it into their heads that Ireland is a totally different country with different money, different passports, a different education system. This goes for British people and most other foreigners except most Americans and Canadians. I suppose it's because we all speak English and are culturally very close, but I'm constantly having to remind people that it's a different country.

That said, the whole Northern Ireland thing is something nobody outside Ireland can be expected to understand in full. I mean, the official version is that it's part of the UK, not Ireland, and a lot of people tell me that that's a fact, but it really isn't that simple. One of my students, a Spanish guy, said that surely Nationalists in NI who identify as Irish are deluded, but its more than a political opinion. Anyone born in NI is entitled to an Irish passport. They can send their kids to Irish speaking schools, play for Irish teams, run for president of Ireland. They can watch RTE all day long and never tune into BBC and listen to Irish language radio. Go to college in Dublin where they're classed as 'home' students. They're entitled to pretty much the same things as someone born in the ROI. So how are they deluded if they say they're Irish rather than British? It's all very confusing and I think you need to live in Ireland to really get it.

• Advertisement

You'd have to be pretty dim not to know these things, IMO. Maybe I associate with lots of culturally aware people, but I don't think I've ever had to explain Catalonia or Catalan to anyone. Perhaps not outdoor pyjama wearers, but educated people should know this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Was a good craic, mostly the same as an Irish wedding.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Walked back over and told the guy in a very friendly way

"Hey look, you shouldn't say that sort of thing to people, its a bit racist"

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

I just thought 'for f&ck sake' and went to bed.

Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience ?

the amount of times I have been called 'Paddy' in Ireland by English stags and they did not even realise it was offensive.

I have been in some countries where they assume you will be aggressive or anglophobe when they hear you are Irish.

Ehh....your ex WAS from Spain whether she likes it or not. The finer details of Catalona's desire for independence (which they haven't got yet and won't in our lifetime at least) is another thing. If your ex claimed to be from a seperate country, she would be wrong. No amount of wanting it to be true would make that a fact. She's no right to be exasperated. ROI, on the other hand, is and has been since the early part of the last century. Fact.

Not knowing Middle Eastern geography is one thing (not so hot on it myself if I'm honest) but not knowing a simple fact about the Geography of your part of the continent your from (and possibly even visited) is pure ignorance in my book. Ignorance to that degree is no one's fault but your own.

kfallon wrote: »
    Pot & Kettle? :confused:

Was called a 'fenian bastard' when I was about 10, was wearing my Celtic jersey when on holiday at the time! Two Rangers fans said it to me, they were both about 17 or 18.....nice! :rolleyes:

Also a bunch of us were called 'Paddy ****' by a guy no taller than 4 foot at a race meeting in England before. He said it as he walked past and said it in such a low tone he didn't think we'd hear but I did. Found it hilarious!

it cuts both ways. i know a dude who supports rangers and he is afraid to wear the jersey around Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been on hell lot countries and have to say the Irish have good reputation pretty much everywhere.

Places in South America and Africa seem have liking for Irish.

Oz was worst I have been to, they make Russia and Serbia look like saints.

• Advertisement

Oz was worst I have been to, they make Russia and Serbia look like saints.[/QUOTE]

how so?
    i heard south americans consider us the same as gringos. I was reading hectors book there recently and that seemed to be his opinion.I guess it depends on who you meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

stovelid wrote: »
    While you're right that we should never get into the mindset of straighforward denial that anti-Irish sentiment and racism exists, there is more than a kernel of truth in the fact that as a nation - perhaps like all nations - the Irish do love to endlessly rake over the coals of real and imagined greivance about the English while being outraged at any suggestion that we have our own minority of highly intolerant people here, like anywhere.
    The truth ...couldn't have said it better myself .

Ehh....your ex WAS from Spain whether she likes it or not. The finer details of Catalona's desire for independence (which they haven't got yet and won't in our lifetime at least) is another thing. If your ex claimed to be from a seperate country, she would be wrong. No amount of wanting it to be true would make that a fact. She's no right to be exasperated. ROI, on the other hand, is and has been since the early part of the last century. Fact.

Not knowing Middle Eastern geography is one thing (not so hot on it myself if I'm honest) but not knowing a simple fact about the Geography of your part of the continent your from (and possibly even visited) is pure ignorance in my book. Ignorance to that degree is no one's fault but your own.

You've displayed some ignorance of your own there.
    ROI only came into being in the middle of the 20th century not at the beginning.

Catalonia is needed by Spain far more than its needs Spain.
    People in Ireland don't know sh!t when it comes to the geo-political realities of the rest of the world.

Plus I never said these regions were not part of Spain!
    They remain part of Spain for the moment.

My point was that Spanish people view Ireland as part of the UK in the same way that Spanish see these regions as part of Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Jorah wrote: »
    The strangest comment I ever had for being English was in Cornwall lol. Apparently they're not English and a barman insisted on pointing out I was travelling abroad wearing an England Rugby shirt.

We have a similar proplem with some people in the north east of Ireland. They think they aren't in any way Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never got abuse abroad for being Irish , but often get slack off west Brits in Dublin.

Don't give it if you can't take it

ROI only came into being in the middle of the 20th century not at the beginning.

People in Ireland don't know sh!t when it comes to the geo-political realities of the rest of the world.

Plus I never said these regions were not part of Spain!
    They remain part of Spain for the moment.

My point was that Spanish people view Ireland as part of the UK in the same way that Spanish see these regions as part of Spain.

1949. No ignorance man. Never said the beginning, I said the early part of the last century....pre 1950 (just about). B2 in honours history in the LC and a Republican upbringing....booyakasha!

Edit: But really, nice try. Do you honestly think I'd go on here ranting about the ignorance of other countries with regards to ROI when I don't know that simple fact myself?

And?

Just an FYI, from the perspective of the people of Castilla (Castile), most wouldn't acknowledge the autonomous status of these regions and it pisses off the Catalans no end...

And I'm not even talking about just the Spanish here...I'm talking about every European I've discussed this with. Somethings up there....

1949. No ignorance man. Never said the beginning. ;)

Nice to see Google is up and running! :D

Those regions are part of Spain for the moment.
    The 26 county state is separate from the UK but don't expect
    anyone in any other country to know this.

1949. No ignorance man. Never said the beginning. ;)

Why shouldn't people know? I don't tell people from Croatia they are from Yugoslavia.

Are you serious? You honestly think I didn't know that and went and googled that? My god your full of yourself. Believe what you like. Your the only one who knows anything. Well done. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have no idea what your point about the regions of Spain are though. They're regions. You said your ex bird was exasperated when she had to say she was from Spain....eh.....she was from Spain. Not sure what point you were making there exactly.

Why shouldn't people know? I don't tell people from Croatia they are from Yugoslavia.

You mean from Serbia. ;)

They were part of Yugoslavia which was conceived 100 hundred years ago as a Southern Slavic confederation.

Yugo means South in Slavic.

Did you know all that?

You mean from Serbia. ;)

They were part of Yugoslavia which was conceived 100 hundred years ago as a Southern Slavic confederation.

Did you know all that?

....Looks like your pretty nifty on the Google-Machine yourself there, pal! :D

You mean from Serbia. ;)

Did you know all that?

yugo is a derogatory term.

I have no idea what your point about the regions of Spain are though. They're regions. You said your ex bird was exasperated when she had to say she was from Spain....eh.....she was from Spain. Not sure what point you were making there exactly.

Catalans bite their tongue when they say this.
    Catalonia remains part of Spain but has complete political independence on internal issues.
    They have a separate language and culture distinct from Spain.
    But like someone from Arkansas being described as a Yankee.

....Looks like your pretty nifty on the Google-Machine yourself there, pal! :D

You think I could have read and typed all of that from a standing start 2 minutes after he posted! :D

Talk about splitting hairs ...

Fuinseog wrote: »
    yugo is a derogatory term.

That's why they took into the name of the country then!

Catalonia remains part of Spain but has complete political independence on internal issues.

I'm aware of all this and read about it extensively...but they're still part of Spain. If someone from Ireland was to say, "Ah! Catalonia! Lovely part of Spain!" they'd be absolutely 100% right. Your ex had no reason to get exasperated with anyone. That's my point.

I'd love to see Catalonia get it's independence from Spain (seems like most people round here hate them anyway and visa versa) but until that happens, it remains part of Spain. Our situation is very different and has been that way since 1949 (no Google was needed btw and I don't appreciate your condescending post. Irish history shoved down my throat since I could talk, unfortunately.).

• Advertisement

Would you ever stop telling us what 'people in Ireland' know or don't know? I know plenty about the rest of the world and so do most of the Irish people I know. It's so arrogant of you to assume that you know more than anyone else.

You think I could have read and typed all of that from a standing start 2 minutes after he posted! :D

Sure....

Would you ever stop telling us what 'people in Ireland' know or don't know? I know plenty about the rest of the world and so do most of the Irish people I know. It's so arrogant of you to assume that you know more than anyone else.

The arrogance is gobsmacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oz was worst I have been to, they make Russia and Serbia look like saints.

how so?
    i heard south americans consider us the same as gringos. I was reading hectors book there recently and that seemed to be his opinion.I guess it depends on who you meet.[/QUOTE]

No I found the South Americans had great time for Ireland in general.

Cant say bad word. Spent about 2 months there and all good.

The arrogance is gobsmacking.
    Somebody had to tell him .

That's why they took into the name of the country then!

you could also argue that Paddy is not offensive as a lot of irish are called paddy.
    you could say 'abo' is a shortened form of aborgine, but when you meet the people who use the term you know they mean it in a derogatory sense. the same with 'jugo'.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of all this and read about it extensively...but they're still part of Spain. If someone from Ireland was to say, "Ah! Catalonia! Lovely part of Spain!" they'd be absolutely 100% right. Your ex had no reason to get exasperated with anyone. That's my point.

I'd love to see Catalonia get it's independence from Spain (seems like most people round here hate them anyway and visa versa) but until that happens, it remains part of Spain. Our situation is very different and has been that way since 1949 (no Google was needed btw and I don't appreciate your condescending post. Irish history shoved down my throat since I could talk, unfortunately.).

Been that way since 1922.
    The 1949 act only renamed the country.
    If someone said 'Londonderry an ancient city at the extreme of the United Kingdom I must visit' would you be surprised if people there were offended?

you could also argue that Paddy is not offensive as a lot of irish are called paddy.
    you could say 'abo' is a shortened form of aborgine, but when you meet the people who use the term you know they mean it in a derogatory sense. the same with 'jugo'.

Jugo means South Slavic.
    Get onto Google post haste!

Just reread your post...Catalonia doesn't have complete political independence on all internal issues. It doesn't have it's own tax system, for example. Not having fiscal autonomy is a pretty big deal.

But obviously you know all this already as you know absolutely everything else.

Been that way since 1922.
    The 1949 act only renamed the country.
    If someone said 'Londonderry an ancient city at the extreme of the United Kingdom I must visit' would you be surprised if people there were offended?

Wait....you corrected me now your correcting yourself? Man....you're all over the shop!!

Just reread your post...Catalonia doesn't have complete political independence on all internal issues. It doesn't have it's own tax system, for example. Not having fiscal autonomy is a pretty big deal.

But obviously you know all this already as you know absolutely everything else.

This Republic you preach on about doesn't have fiscal autonomy either.
    And the last elements of that are to be handed over on 31 May.

• Advertisement

You mean from Serbia. ;)

No, I don't.

Did you know all that?

Lol. Yes I did, my googling friend. I said Yugoslavia because Croatia used to be part of Yugoslavia, as we were part of the UK.

I have no idea what you think your googling of what Yugislavia means in English, is relevant to whatever. Let's put it down to a cut and paste over-enthusiasm. You over googled. ( The Southern Slavic federation is another giveaway)

At any rate, as some one who knows very little, you need to lose the sneer.

Jugo means South Slavic.
    Get onto Google post haste!

I don't doubt it and negro means black which is also factually accurate. when I hear the word jugo it is always used in a derogatory sense. same as Tschusch.

What Republic that I preach about? Am I preaching? It's a Republic! Are you disputing that? Keep digging my friend...

Wait....you corrected me now your correcting yourself? Man....you're all over the shop!!

And you're a teacher!!
    You made the point that the ROI came into being in the early 20th century!
    I correctly stated that it only came into being in the middle of the century.
    You googled it - 1949.
    Independence came in 1922.
    But as the Irish Free State.
    This is all news to you now. :p

boo hoo. hopefully our few masters will not be as corrupt or inefficient. maybe we should never have joined in the first place. what did the Eu ever do for us apart from keeping us afloat and building our roads.

No, I don't.

Lol. Yes I did, my googling friend. I said Yugoslavia because Croatia used to be part of Yugoslavia, as we were part of the UK.

I have no idea what you think your googling of what Yugislavia means in English, is relevant to whatever. Let's put it down to a cut and paste over-enthusiasm. You over googled. ( The Southern Slavic federation is another giveaway)

In any case, some one who knows very little, you need to lose the sneer.

If you want to rile Croats ask them why they supported the Nazis in WW2?
    Serbs - Tito - opposed and defeated them.

ps check your spelling for Yugoslavia.
    You can't even spell it but want to talk about it!

And you're a teacher!!
    You made the point that the ROI came into being in the early 20th century!
    I correctly stated that it only came into being in the middle of the century.
    You googled it - 1949.
    Independence came in 1922.
    But as the Irish Free State.
    This is all news to you now. :p

Yes....I'm a teacher! What subject? Oh...ye know.....everything!

What are you on about? Reread what you wrote there and explain to me what you're on about...please!!

What exactly were you correcting me on? Where was I wrong in the first place?

Edit: Nothing I've said in previous posts has been incorrect. Google has not been used to get any information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Once had a skinhead verbally abuse me in London, very scary stuff actually, really hit home just how much hatred there is out there. Its not something I ever thought about before. Really makes you appreciate how tough it must be for people who are obviously different ie skin colour etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, but i'll be expecting it from now on after Jedward....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Once on holiday in Thailand some Danish chick turned her nose up to me cause I was Irish, WTF is it with the Danish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement