Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was watching that sports related programme with Craig Doyle on RTE player last week and the long time ROI fan in the audience was explaining how after the Ireland v England game (where ' Houghton put the ball in the net ') he and his mates had to run for their lifes from a gauntlet of 200 odd English fans who obiously didn't like seeing their team loose to the Irish .

The thing is even if England had won the match ,they might still have been looking for Irish blood to spill anyway and the reality is that these people ,who are in a minority and not really representative of football fans per se ,operate on the fringes of society and countrys other than England ie , Scotland ,Germany ,Poland,Ukraine ,Turkey have them to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

If you want to rile Croats ask them why they supported the Nazis in WW2?
    Serbs - Tito - opposed and defeated them.

ps check your spelling for Yugoslavia.
    You can't even spell it but want to talk about it!

steady on their Happy Monday. you do not seem so happy.
    The croats supported the nazis for their own interests and the nazis knew how to manipulate age old tribalism. they paid dearly for it after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Fuinseog wrote: »
    steady on their Happy Monday. you do not seem so happy.
    The croats supported the nazis for their own interests and the nazis knew how to manipulate age old tribalism. they paid dearly for it after the war.

Demonstrating some knowledge of Yugoslavian history.
    Which I was accused by Duggy of not knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Never had any abuse for being Irish when abroad, I think the Donegal accent stumps any wannabe bigots:D.

I have however experienced abuse from fellow Irishpeople because of the same accent.
    Always from knuckledragging neanderthals who don't even know what country Donegal is in.

Some people are ignorant arseholes, most people aren't.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Once on holiday in Thailand some Danish chick turned her nose up to me cause I was Irish, WTF is it with the Danish.
    I met Jan Molby last year ...he was alright to chat to .

I was on holiday over in Playa Del Ingles once ,staying in a hotel that had a mixture of Spanish ,French , British ,some Irish and a group of Danish/Norwegian people and while you would pass and say Hi ,Hello ,Bonjour ,Ola , as you walked past on the corridor , stairs or in the lift the Danes / Norwegians didn't at all ...which I thought a bit odd .

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

They love the irish over there because they know we gave their language a beauty that they did'nt and it being their language .Now reverse that and ask them to speak irish and they might make our language popular and save it .Well think about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Yes....I'm a teacher! What subject? Oh...ye know.....everything!

What are you on about? Reread what you wrote there and explain to me what you're on about...please!!

What exactly were you correcting me on? Where was I wrong in the first place?

Edit: Nothing I've said in previous posts has been incorrect. Google has not been used to get any information.

You were wrong to suggest that the ROI came into being in the early part of the 20th century.

Independence did in 1922 as a free state within the Commonwealth.

But the Republic was only declared in the middle of the century.

What part of this can you not understand?

I also note you didn't comment on the Derry analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And you're a teacher!!
    You made the point that the ROI came into being in the early 20th century!
    I correctly stated that it only came into being in the middle of the century.
    You googled it - 1949.
    Independence came in 1922.
    But as the Irish Free State.
    This is all news to you now. :p

What Republic of Ireland?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Was a good craic, mostly the same as an Irish wedding.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Walked back over and told the guy in a very friendly way

"Hey look, you shouldn't say that sort of thing to people, its a bit racist"

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

I just thought 'for f&ck sake' and went to bed.

Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience ?

a mick mack paddy wack between the nuts would have done him just fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Once had a South African woman dismiss me with the wave of a hand for being "one of those Irish p****s" who destroyed her country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

girlonfire wrote: »
    Once had a South African woman dismiss me with the wave of a hand for being "one of those Irish p****s" who destroyed her country. :rolleyes:

How did she arrive at that conclusion?:confused:

Wondering the same, I asked her but she didn't even want to talk to me as I'm Irish. It's a strange one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Wondering the same, I asked her but she didn't even want to talk to me as I'm Irish. It's a strange one alright.

Was she a Boer?

If so, she was probably still sore over Triggers goal knocking them out of 2002 WCQs. :)

:)

She wasn't a Boer. Just a rude woman I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So those boycotts against goods from apatheid South Africa really did work then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure bigotry for sure E, but not really racism as we're the same "race". If the same muppet had muttered "nígger" to a black fellow Englishman it would be racist.

Race is also a cultural classification.

A good portion of the British Army that fought in the Boer war were Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sindri wrote: »
    Race is also a cultural classification.
    No. It isn't. Different things entirely.
    People of the same race can have many different cultures among them, and people of the same culture can have many different races among them.
    Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I used to teach 2 little boys English. They were taught in their class that Ireland was part of the UK. They were taught that in school! Ehhh...

Can I blame them for their ignorance? Yes as I'd take personal responsibility for my own ignorance on many subjects. It's a 2 hours flight from where they live and many, many Spanish have lived or had a holiday here. It's part of the European Union...I'd know my European geography fairly well....I'd at least know a basic fact like that. They'd be the same ones complaining about North Americans mistaking them for a South American country (because they speak Spanish).

I mean, most Irish know The Basque Country and Catalonia are still part of Spain..

Fact of the matter is they simply don't care enough. Nothing to do with many men in Ireland supporting a British football team (they're not aware of that by the way...). That's fine but it still gets on my ditties.

You think people in this country know that about the Basque region and Catalonia?

Not a chance!

Speak for yourself thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »

Source.

From your own source.
    To begin, we must start at the fundamental concepts of race and culture. Race is a social construct* that is used to categorize and divide people based on physical characteristics†, which often leads to conflict and oppression.

*Correct

I'm afraid that that is wrong. That is a biological classification of race.

Example:

The Irish have certain established opinions in society (social constructs) about the English and about themselves, it is these social constructs as evidenced in your own link* that attitudes regarding race, and thus the Irish are based on. In the context of the thread, and in fact from outside a purely biology perspective of it which is the only manner in which the question asked of us by the OP, "Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish" can be considered.

To clarify, behaviour and attitudes displayed towards the Irish are social constructs and are based on social constructs rather than physical characteristics.

We are not being asked about supposed physical characteristics to classify attitudes towards the Irish, which is what you have posited, which is actually outdated and is only the biological classification of race, but rather with the social constructs with which we are viewed and with which we view ourselves.

Do you understand? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It's xenophobia.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure bigotry for sure E, but not really racism as we're the same "race". If the same muppet had muttered "nígger" to a black fellow Englishman it would be racist.
    Pushtrak wrote: »

Source.
    Educate yourselves on the legal definition of racial discrimination laddies before you start making bold statements.
    the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.
    And it means the same in British law too.

it goes back to the 30's and 40's where many Irish moved to Scotland to work.

link

The Scottish National Party were concerned during the 30's and 40's that the country was being over-run by Irish immigrants. Anti Irish sentiments were strong in certain communities, and when the Scottish themselves emigrated to Canada in the 60's, that sentiment traveled with them and unfortunately much of it is still alive today.
    Goes back a lot further than that. Where do you think the rabid ulster planters came from?

stovelid wrote: »
    I just prefer to accept that every country (be it this one or England) has racist and/or sectarian citizens. That's not to negate the experience of people that have been abused (including myself) but you either accept that it happens everywhere - abhorrent as it is - and challenge it on a per-incident basis or you use it endlessly to validate certain preconceived ideas of nationality in your mind.
    Nah its fair to say the english are in general more racist than us. Almost annual race riots, institutional discrimination, far right racist political parties and elected members of parliament, hell even norn iron has become under their administration the most racist place in the developed world. What was that wikileaks where the US ambassador was saying something along the lines of "casual racism is commonplace, these people are living in the 19th century"? Its true, to be honest, although naturally not for all.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Latchy wrote: »
    There was up until recently 3 different entry spots for Irish passenger ships into Liverpool ,Birkenhead ,Bootle and the terminal at the Pier Head ( now only takes the Isle of Mann Ferry ) and I did work on the Seacat Liverpool v Dublin Ferry out of the Pier Head for 4 years .I can't say I've heard of anybody been jumped the minute they left any boat in Liverpool but as in any city in Ireland or UK ,people can sometimes get into grief, which doesn't always come down to their accent or where they are from .

Well, it was because of where I'm from. When I safely landed, they called me a fool, and then they began abusing Ireland. I couldn't stand it and my blood just boiled, so I let my fist fly. As I said, it was a bit hot headed of me, and were it not for the Galway lads being by, I'd have probably ended up in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nah its fair to say the english are in general more racist than us. Almost annual race riots, institutional discrimination, far right racist political parties and elected members of parliament, hell even norn iron has become under their administration the most racist place in the developed world. What was that wikileaks where the US ambassador was saying something along the lines of "casual racism is commonplace, these people are living in the 19th century"? Its true, to be honest, although naturally not for all.

annual race riots?
    Far right members of parliament?
    Norn Iron a reflections on the English being racist?
    Institutionalised discrimination?

When trolling, it is usually a good idea to at least have some sort of facts in your posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I had a party once when I was living in Edinburgh and the guy was was painting my flat from Dundee invited some girls along. Anyway when they arrived, a pretty redhead was introduced, turns out she was from Cork, when she heard my accent and asked where I was from she responded, "Would you go 'way from me I can't stand people from Dublin".

I was too shocked at how ridiculous this opinion was at the time to take it in and tell her to get the f*ck out so I can't even remember what my reaction was.

Anyway the moral of the story is there are c*nts from everywhere (mostly Cork though).

annual race riots?
    Well not quite, but I'll take our zero over their thirty plus any day. And that's just the ones which were really obviously race riots, to say nothing of the rest.
    Far right members of parliament?
    I never said which parliament.
    Norn Iron a reflections on the English being racist?
    Pretty much. You can't claim on the one hand to be in charge of a country and on the other hand disclaim any knowledge of the apartheid state you turned it into.
    Institutionalised discrimination?
    Yes, and plenty of it.
    More recently in 2007, the BBC reported that a "race row" had broken out in the wake of an official inquiry that identified institutional racism in British psychiatry, with psychiatrists, including from the IOP/Maudsley, arguing against the claim,[23] while the heads of the Mental Health Act Commission accused them of misunderstanding the concept of institutional racism and dismissing the legitimate concerns of the Black community in Britain.[24] Campaigns by voluntary groups seek to address the higher rates of sectioning, over-medication, misdiagnosis and forcible restraint on members of minority groups.
    When trolling, it is usually a good idea to at least have some sort of facts in your posts.
    This coming from the man who holds that the famine was caused by Irish people. Talk about a German making Jew jokes. Do you deny the holocaust as well? And hey, this makes for a fun read:
    DICKENS DESCRIBED THE SQUALOR, OVER-CROWDING, AND POVERTY IN BRITAIN'S CITIES OVER A CENTURY AGO. WHAT HAS CHANGED IS THAT THE PEOPLE AFFECTED ARE INCREASINGLY LIKELY TO BE MEMBERS OF MINORITY GROUPS.

STILL, THERE ARE ONLY ONE MILLION BLACKS AND BROWNS IN BRITAIN, OUT OF A POPULATION OF 54 MILLION, AND BY NOW HALF OF THESE ARE BRITISH-BORN. BUT THEIR OUTSIDER STATUS PERSISTS.
    So that's what, one in fifty people not of the same colour in britain and the country damn near burns to the ground. There's one in five people born outside the country of Ireland here today, and I can't see any sign of racial tension or rioting.

Anecdotes such as this thread is filled with aside, the facts and records speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

LOTS of South Africans would be unionist/loyalist.

The UVF have had financial and military support from SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

lol

• Advertisement

Well not quite, but I'll take our zero over their thirty plus any day. And that's just the ones which were really obviously race riots, to say nothing of the rest.

30, in the last 100 years. Hardly annual is it? most of them are pretty dubious as well.

I never said which parliament.

what does this mean then?
    Doc Ruby wrote:
    far right racist political parties and elected members of parliament

On the assumption you mean the BNP, they have 2, out of over 21,000 local councillors and 2 out of 72 MEPs. They do not have any members of parliament and at the last election received a massive 1.9% pf the vote. Wow. As we are talking about elected members and you want to go back to the earlier parts of last century, maybe you could explain this.
    How is it that we do not see any of these [Emergency Powers] Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? [...] There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money. ”
    —Oliver Flanagan, Dáil Éireann, 9 July 1943.
    Pretty much. You can't claim on the one hand to be in charge of a country and on the other hand disclaim any knowledge of the apartheid state you turned it into.
    who is claiming that?
    Yes, and plenty of it.

you will note that there have been subsequent enquiries into this that have been acted upon, much better than sweeping it under the carpet. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0322/1224313703040.html
    This coming from the man who holds that the famine was caused by Irish people. Talk about a German making Jew jokes. Do you deny the holocaust as well?
    I've never said that. you're really not very good at this trolling stuff are you?
    And hey, this makes for a fun read:

So that's what, one in fifty people not of the same colour in britain and the country damn near burns to the ground. There's one in five people born outside the country of Ireland here today, and I can't see any sign of racial tension or rioting.

Anecdotes such as this thread is filled with aside, the facts and records speak for themselves.

There are too many racists in England (on the basis that one is too many) but I certainly wouldn't describe it as more racist than Ireland, unless of course you consider the obligation for swearing allegiance to god to become a TD/president or the near complete control of Irish schools and hospitals by christian denominations as being "Inclusive".

Or are you one of those that thinks that every foreign national eats swans, gets a house and a car/taxi licence as soon as they arrive from Lagos and therefore complaining about this constantly is just being a good citizen.

30, in the last 100 years. Hardly annual is it? most of them are pretty dubious as well.
    And the last big one only six years ago. No doubt there are weekly or even daily racial scuffles that don't make the international headlines. And its worth pointing out that the UK has had more race riots than every other country on that list combined, except the USA. Connection? I think so.
    On the assumption you mean the BNP, they have 2, out of over 21,000 local councillors and 2 out of 72 MEPs. They do not have any members of parliament
    You are aware that MEP stands for Member of the European Parliament? Which is in fact a parliament? To which they were elected? By English people? The very fact that the BNP exists is a disgrace.
    who is claiming that?
    The human beliefs and values survey for one.
    And the most prejudiced country? Drumroll please...
    Northern Ireland with an estimated 44 percent of its population saying they wouldn't want to live next to one of the above five groups took the top "prize."

There are too many racists in England (on the basis that one is too many) but I certainly wouldn't describe it as more racist than Ireland
    I would, and I have the facts to back it up. Not anecdotes, facts.
    Or are you one of those that thinks that every foreign national eats swans, gets a house and a car/taxi licence as soon as they arrive from Lagos and therefore complaining about this constantly is just being a good citizen.
    As ripostes go, that was fairly weak. Come on now Fred, you can do better. Do It For The Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I thought the SNP were just a party working quietly towards their goals
    And lots of celebrity supporters, Sean Connery is one

I never knew they have such a sinister past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

She must've been just plain auld bonkers god love her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What have you been smoking ? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I thought the SNP were just a party working quietly towards their goals
    Yeah, and given that one of those goals is independence from the UK even stranger.

But from what I've heard there is massive sectarianism simmering under the surface up there. Wonder if it'll ever kick off like Northern Ireland.

And the last big one only six years ago. No doubt there are weekly or even daily racial scuffles that don't make the international headlines. And its worth pointing out that the UK has had more race riots than every other country on that list combined, except the USA. Connection? I think so.
    only six years ago, i thought they were annual? at least be consistent, please.

Very few countries have the diversity of the UK. the amount of non white irish catholics living in Ireland is very very low, so there is hardly likely to be any race riots.

You are aware that MEP stands for Member of the European Parliament? Which is in fact a parliament? To which they were elected? By English people? The very fact that the BNP exists is a disgrace.
    the BNP aren't that different to Sinn Fein to be honest. Except the BNP don't support terrorists.

Instead of blaming the English for all their problems, BNP supports blame foreigners.

I know what NI is like, who is claiming the English are in charge of it? they had their own parliament which managed to create an apartheid regime.
    I would, and I have the facts to back it up. Not anecdotes, facts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0321/1224313640600.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0322/1224313700478.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0321/breaking27.html
    http://www.thejournal.ie/racism-in-ireland-has-grown-during-recession-307806-Dec2011/

and that's ignoring the amount of Irish stuff on Stormfront.

I believe the saying is "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

only six years ago, i thought they were annual? at least be consistent, please.
    Please read what I wrote, rather than making up your own words and responding to them. "Almost" annual. Lets see, thirty in the last century, thats one every three years on average (hey well done, you're overdue), which is one more than "biannual" so I guess my comment was almost exactly on the money.
    Very few countries have the diversity of the UK. the amount of non white irish catholics living in Ireland is very very low, so there is hardly likely to be any race riots.
    Again with the reading difficulties. One in five people born outside the Republic, remember? That's ten times more than caused the english to burn their own country down.
    the BNP aren't that different to Sinn Fein to be honest. Except the BNP don't support terrorists.
    Nodin, paging Nodin to the front desk please. :D
    Instead of blaming the English for all their problems, BNP supports blame foreigners.
    Indeed, taking responsibility for your own mess would be very un-english.
    I know what NI is like, who is claiming the English are in charge of it? they had their own parliament which managed to create an apartheid regime.
    Remind me again, what's the capital city of the UK? And that's before we go back to the ulster plantations where the whole shambles started. Typical english mismangement of course.
    Oh the ironing, a british lawyer lecturing the Irish about racism. He must be angling for a job in the civil service, that's the usual deal with these sorts. "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. And only I have the solution. Now pay me!" Lets see he says "IRELAND’S RESPONSE to a multiethnic society was comparable to Britain in 1993 before the racially motivated murder of Stephen Lawrence, leading human rights lawyer Imran Khan said yesterday."

Since 1993, britain has had no less than six full blown race riots and god knows how many racially motivated murders. Since 1993, Ireland has had, er, zero. I really don't think he has much to teach us on racism.
    and that's ignoring the amount of Irish stuff on Stormfront.
    Familiar with stormfront are you?
    I believe the saying is "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".
    Better strap on your brodie helmet so, old bean.

Please read what I wrote, rather than making up your own words and responding to them. "Almost" annual. Lets see, thirty in the last century, thats one every three years on average (hey well done, you're overdue), which is one more than "biannual" so I guess my comment was almost exactly on the money.

Again with the reading difficulties. One in five people born outside the Republic, remember? That's ten times more than caused the english to burn their own country down.

Nodin, paging Nodin to the front desk please. :D

Indeed, taking responsibility for your own mess would be very un-english.

Remind me again, what's the capital city of the UK? And that's before we go back to the ulster plantations where the whole shambles started. Typical english mismangement of course.

Oh the ironing, a british lawyer lecturing the Irish about racism. He must be angling for a job in the civil service, that's the usual deal with these sorts. "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. And only I have the solution. Now pay me!" Lets see he says "IRELAND’S RESPONSE to a multiethnic society was comparable to Britain in 1993 before the racially motivated murder of Stephen Lawrence, leading human rights lawyer Imran Khan said yesterday."

Since 1993, britain has had no less than six full blown race riots and god knows how many racially motivated murders. Since 1993, Ireland has had, er, zero. I really don't think he has much to teach us on racism.

Familiar with stormfront are you?

Better strap on your brodie helmet so, old bean.

LOL.

• Advertisement

LOL.
    Well that's one way to look at it I suppose. Come on now Fred, lets bury this once and for all.
    Hate crime prosecutions reach record high (2012)

A record number of people were prosecuted for racially and religiously-motivated hate crimes in England and Wales last year.

Some 13,276 people came before the courts for such crimes in 2010-11. The Crown Prosecution Service said many had involved assaults or verbal abuse.

Of the cases that concluded last year, more than 80% resulted in convictions.

The prosecutions total is the highest since hate crime statistics were first compiled in 2005-06.
    Now that's convictions. According to your own link there, we had some 120 or so complaints (not convictions, and made to a private organistion, not to public bodies, so how factual it is, is anyone's guess) during the year.

So lets do the maths here, UK has ~10 times Ireland's population, so proportionately there should be 1200 or so complaints, roughly now, so in fact its fairly safe to say that even in the worst case scenario english people are ten times more racist than Irish people.

How bout them apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I had a party once when I was living in Edinburgh and the guy was was painting my flat from Dundee invited some girls along. Anyway when they arrived, a pretty redhead was introduced, turns out she was from Cork, when she heard my accent and asked where I was from she responded, "Would you go 'way from me I can't stand people from Dublin".

I was too shocked at how ridiculous this opinion was at the time to take it in and tell her to get the f*ck out so I can't even remember what my reaction was.

Anyway the moral of the story is there are c*nts from everywhere (mostly Cork though).

You continue to surprise me.

I completely agree with you that c*nts are everywhere but how can you come on to a thread like this and give out about people generalizing about you, not liking you because you're from Dublin and then do the exact same thing that they did at the end of your post.

I don't care if its an ongoing joke in Dublin, your posts so far put you across as a hypocrite.

I suppose you called her a 'culchie' after you realised she was from Cork yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

the statistics below would indicate that the largest proportion of race related crimes in the UK are carried out AGAINST the "indigenous" population, so far from it being the case that the UK is racist, surely it points to the fact that people who have moved there from other countries/cultures are more racist. This would indicate that perhaps the British are at risk of attack as a result of NOT being racist when it comes to immigration matters.

Racist crimes

In 2005-6, 1,543 victims of racist crime in Scotland were of Pakistani origin, while more than 1,000 victims were classed as being "white British".[20] Kriss Donald was a Scottish fifteen-year-old who was kidnapped and murdered in Glasgow in 2004. Five British Asian men were later found guilty of racially-motivated violence; those convicted of murder were all sentenced to life imprisonment.[21]

"The British Crime Survey reveals that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. They had suffered 49,000 violent attacks, with 4,000 being wounded. At the same time 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim of a racially motivated crime. The number of violent attacks against whites reached 77,000, while the number of white people who reported being wounded was five times the number of black and minority ethnic victims at 20,000.[22]"

:rolleyes:

you'd swear ireland was some kind of racial utopia the way you post

Toyosi Shillabey's murder in Tyrelstown north dublin

and this and this

as for no riots well its just a matter of time before that happens

Well that's one way to look at it I suppose. Come on now Fred, lets bury this once and for all.

Now that's convictions. According to your own link there, we had some 120 or so complaints (not convictions, and made to a private organistion, not to public bodies, so how factual it is, is anyone's guess) during the year.

So lets do the maths here, UK has ~10 times Ireland's population, so proportionately there should be 1200 or so complaints, roughly now, so in fact its fairly safe to say that even in the worst case scenario english people are ten times more racist than Irish people.

How bout them apples.

you obviously missed the link where it states that around one in six race crimes in Ireland aren't reported?

In England, race hate is stamped on, in Ireland it appears to be swept under the carpet. You also need to take into account that the UK has very strict laws on race and religious hate, which Ireland does not.

England is no more racist than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Ireland's black population is 1%...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You continue to surprise me.

I completely agree with you that c*nts are everywhere but how can you come on to a thread like this and give out about people generalizing about you, not liking you because you're from Dublin and then do the exact same thing that they did at the end of your post.

I don't care if its an ongoing joke in Dublin, your posts so far put you across as a hypocrite.

I suppose you called her a 'culchie' after you realised she was from Cork yeah?

I would've taken that bit of his post as a joke in fairness. The Cork V Dublin thing is seen as a bit of a joke in Dublin. No one takes it seriously. Sounds like that girl at the party does though.

I could be wrong though and if I am, then you're right.

Oh why oh why can't we all just get along! :(

fryup wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

you'd swear ireland was some kind of racial utopia the way you post

read this

http://www.humanrights.ie/index.php/2010/04/19/the-murder-of-toyosi-****tabey-and-racial-tension-in-dublin/

and this and this
    So? I never said there were no racists at all, but to be honest if those bastards hadn't found an immigrant they'd have done for an Irish person instead.
    fryup wrote: »
    as for no riots well its just a matter of time before that happens
    I have to call bollocks on that one. I live next door to several Nigerian families and they'd laugh in your face if you told them they were under siege. No, that's a taxpayer money grab, once again.
    Again, so? Let me introduce you to European history, and indeed english and American history, rife with racism against people of the same skin colour. Also why do you think that people can't be racist against Indians, Chinese, or other non-black populations?
    you obviously missed the link where it states that around one in six race crimes in Ireland aren't reported?
    According to who? Rumour and hearsay? Lets have some facts.
    In England, race hate is stamped on, in Ireland it appears to be swept under the carpet. You also need to take into account that the UK has very strict laws on race and religious hate, which Ireland does not..
    Take a wander down to your local GNIB office when you're next in Ireland, if ever. There are large posters on every wall proclaiming that racism is illegal, and urging people to report it. If it was happening, it would be well and truly reported.
    England is no more racist than Ireland.
    Ten times more racist mathematically, Fred. I know its not pleasant to realise your country is that way inclined, but the first step is you need to recognise the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Oh why oh why can't we all just get along! :(

Completely agree! :)

exactly, teeny weeny compared to the likes of UK France etc
    So? I never said there were no racists at all, but to be honest if those bastards hadn't found an immigrant they'd have done for an Irish person instead....

well you never mention it, prefering to concentrate on UK racism only
    I have to call bollocks on that one. I live next door to several Nigerian families and they'd laugh in your face if you told them they were under siege. ....

well i'm sure the ones living in inner city dublin feel differently...
    No, that's a taxpayer money grab, once again.....

oooohh that sounds a bit racist

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Well, it was because of where I'm from. When I safely landed, they called me a fool, and then they began abusing Ireland. I couldn't stand it and my blood just boiled, so I let my fist fly. As I said, it was a bit hot headed of me, and were it not for the Galway lads being by, I'd have probably ended up in hospital.

^ ' The Rocky Road To Dublin '

'' The boys in Liverpool, when we safely landed called myself a fool,
    I could no longer stand it blood began to boil,
    temper I was losing poor old Erin's Isle they began abusing hooray me soul,
    says I, let the shellaillagh fly some Galway boys were nigh.

^ I don't think I was the only the only one to get the jist of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement