Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I would've taken that bit of his post as a joke in fairness. The Cork V Dublin thing is seen as a bit of a joke in Dublin. No one takes it seriously. Sounds like that girl at the party does though.

I could be wrong though and if I am, then you're right.

Oh why oh why can't we all just get along! :(

I was just messing, I don't mind a bit of banter on these subjects. But being downright insulting when you're invited into someone's home is way beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

fryup wrote: »
    exactly, teeny weeny compared to the likes of UK France etc
    If you bothered to read the thread the uk nearly burned to the ground over 2% non-whites in the country, half of whom had been born there. We are well past the 2% non whites here, very few were born here, even if that was a legitimate issue.

And where exactly is this 1% figure coming from by the way? That's 40,000 in the whole country? Bollocks.
    well you never mention it, prefering to concentrate on UK racism only
    Its much easier since there's a lot more to concentrate on.
    well i'm sure the ones living in inner city dublin feel differently...
    Would you say the Irish residents of Dublin's inner city get more or less hassle than normal?
    oooohh that sounds a bit racist
    Money spends just as well no matter what colour you are. Me I like hard evidence myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Latchy wrote: »
    ^ ' The Rocky Road To Dublin '

'' The boys in Liverpool, when we safely landed called myself a fool,
    I could no longer stand it blood began to boil,
    temper I was losing poor old Erin's Isle they began abusing hooray me soul,
    says I, let the shellaillagh fly some Galway boys were nigh.

^ I don't think I was the only the only one to get the jist of it

Amazing...what happened was almost exactly the same as in that song.... unbelievable coincidence. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    So? I never said there were no racists at all, but to be honest if those bastards hadn't found an immigrant they'd have done for an Irish person instead.
    really? why didn't they then?
    I have to call bollocks on that one. I live next door to several Nigerian families and they'd laugh in your face if you told them they were under siege. No, that's a taxpayer money grab, once again.
    as longer as they don't dare drive a taxi I'm sure they'll be grand.
    Again, so? Let me introduce you to European history, and indeed english and American history, rife with racism against people of the same skin colour. Also why do you think that people can't be racist against Indians, Chinese, or other non-black populations?

history? why not stay in the present, that's where we all live.
    Take a wander down to your local GNIB office when you're next in Ireland, if ever. There are large posters on every wall proclaiming that racism is illegal, and urging people to report it. If it was happening, it would be well and truly reported.
    is that the sign next to the one that says that drugs are illegal?
    Ten times more racist mathematically, Fred. I know its not pleasant to realise your country is that way inclined, but the first step is you need to recognise the problem.

To be honest, looking over your posting history and they way you are obsessed with the English, i would hazard a guess and say that you may need to take a look at yourself.

Now then, is this wehre you start degrading women to try and wind me up, or just tell me I'm actually French.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

AEDIC wrote: »
    Amazing...what happened was almost exactly the same as in that song.... unbelievable coincidence. ;)
    Stood out like a sore thumb ...I was humming the tune to myself last night to .

really? why didn't they then?
    Tragically, they often do.
    as longer as they don't dare drive a taxi I'm sure they'll be grand.
    One of them does drive a taxi, and he is grand. He's got a lovely merc actually, doing quite well for himself. I loaned him a ladder to clean his gutters last week.
    history? why not stay in the present, that's where we all live.
    Indeed, in the land of UK race riots and record high racism convictions.
    is that the sign next to the one that says that drugs are illegal?
    No, its next to the sign warning about looking out for sex traffickers.
    To be honest, looking over your posting history and they way you are obsessed with the English, i would hazard a guess and say that you may need to take a look at yourself.
    I'd say you'd prefer to be able to make your baseless claims unopposed, alright. Now whenever you're done playing the man, lets get back to the facts of the dreadful state of racism in england. What have you done to make your country a better place?
    Now then, is this wehre you start degrading women to try and wind me up, or just tell me I'm actually French.:rolleyes:
    You're not French, fred, you just speak french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    When I was travelling before, I took a ferry across the water. We got into Liverpool, and the minute I left the boat, a few scumbag locals copped that I was Irish. I tried to ignore it, but these lads just wouldn't let up. I just lost the rag and ran at them. Probably wasn't the best idea, seeing as I was on my own and there were a group of them. Thankfully, a few lads from Galway saw what was going on and hopped onto them, and I got out with only a few bruises.
    yenom wrote: »
    Would ya not be disgraced to be running around a dock attacking the locals, on your own. Giving the Irish abroad a bad name.
    Irish people being attacked in Liverpool? I guess they've never met anyone from Ireland before, I mean, it's not like the majority of the city is half Irish or anything.
    CHealy wrote: »
    Dont worry yenom, I know this guy, this didnt happen, not in a million years.
    There was up until recently 3 different entry spots for Irish passenger ships into Liverpool ,Birkenhead ,Bootle and the terminal at the Pier Head ( now only takes the Isle of Mann Ferry ) and I did work on the Seacat Liverpool v Dublin Ferry out of the Pier Head for 4 years .I can't say I've heard of anybody been jumped the minute they left any boat in Liverpool but as in any city in Ireland or UK ,people can sometimes get into grief, which doesn't always come down to their accent or where they are from .
    Stood out like a sore thumb ...I was humming the tune to myself last night to .

I'm surprised I managed to catch even a few people, seeing as the original post got a few thanks. Yenom might have been playing along, though - t'was a funny enough comment if he was.

It's good to know that I've got an interent stalker in 'CHealy', though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

@ Doc & Fred

Aaaahh lads, lads.

Can we not just all criticise Americans or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Where To wrote: »
    Never had any abuse for being Irish when abroad, I think the Donegal accent stumps any wannabe bigots:D.

I have however experienced abuse from fellow Irishpeople because of the same accent.
    Always from knuckledragging neanderthals who don't even know what country Donegal is in.

Some people are ignorant arseholes, most people aren't.

I worked with a guy from Donegal once.........once!
    I used to tell him that the war of Indepencence was fought over who got to keep Donegal after the War was over and we lost.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Again, so? Let me introduce you to European history, and indeed english and American history, rife with racism against people of the same skin colour. Also why do you think that people can't be racist against Indians, Chinese, or other non-black populations?

Just pointing out how monumentally stupid your post was. You compared Ireland's foreign born population to the UKs black population.

• Advertisement

Just pointing out how monumentally stupid your post was. You compared Ireland's foreign born population to the UKs black population.
    Nothing like being called monumentally stupid by someone who can't manage to get a basic fact straight.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I'm surprised I managed to catch even a few people, seeing as the original post got a few thanks. Yenom might have been playing along, though - t'was a funny enough comment if he was.

It's good to know that I've got an interent stalker in 'CHealy', though.
    To be honest I'm familiar with the lyrics and knew after your post it was related to the song but it did have me thinking for a few minutes ,it might be used as 'stick ' to 'bate' the English with so I went along with it to

Nothing like being called monumentally stupid by someone who can't manage to get a basic fact straight.

Funny that you can't just admit your idiocy.
    Again with the reading difficulties. One in five people born outside the Republic, remember? That's ten times more than caused the english to burn their own country down.

The UKs foreign born population is roughly 10%. Ireland's foreign born population is 20%. So two times more not ten times more.

Funny that you can't just admit your idiocy.
    Ah the last refuge of the failed, personal abuse. Leave a bitter taste, does it?
    The UKs foreign born population is roughly 10%. Ireland's foreign born population is 20%. So two times more not ten times more.
    At the time of the race riots in the post in question, laddie, the US ambassador made the point that less than 2% of the UK population was non white:
    "There are only 1 million blacks and browns in Britain, out of a population of 54 million, and by now half of these are British born. But their outsider status persists." He added: "Reporting of the recent race riots has reflected the rabble-rousing racism which is still easy discourse in modern Britain.
    At this point in Ireland there's more like 4% non-whites, since that seems to be your fixation. And yet here we are; no race riots, no right wing parties, non of the british experience. Helps when you read the whole thread, doesn't it?

I'd say you'd prefer to be able to make your baseless claims unopposed, alright. Now whenever you're done playing the man, lets get back to the facts of the dreadful state of racism in england. What have you done to make your country a better place?

err, you are the one making baseless claims about a country you have probably never been to.

I've done quite a bit to fight racism in my time, it is part and parcel of growing up in a diverse culture as opposed to one where we get excited because we loan ladders to our black neighbours. It took us some time, but when we moved to Ireland (did you not know I live here?) we did manage to find a school that had different nationalities and cultures. I didn't want our daughter to grow up thinking everyone is a white Irish catholic. If you want to fight racism, that is probably the biggest thing you can do.

As I said earlier, there are too many racists in England but don't for one minute put your head in the sand and think Ireland is any better.
    You're not French, fred, you just speak french.

you've changed your tune a bit

err, you are the one making baseless claims about a country you have probably never been to.
    Link after link after link and he still calls it baseless.
    As I said earlier, there are too many racists in England but don't for one minute put your head in the sand and think Ireland is any better.
    Of course Ireland is better. We have some serious problems in this country, but widespread racism isn't among them. The sooner you deal with that the sooner your own head will be de-beached.
    Yeah I don't care about that. You still speak in the majority French however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

People in general, from any race or nationality, are just cnuts.

Ah the last refuge of the failed, personal abuse. Leave a bitter taste, does it?

At the time of the race riots in the post in question, laddie, the US ambassador made the point that less than 2% of the UK population was non white:

At this point in Ireland there's more like 4% non-whites, since that seems to be your fixation. And yet here we are; no race riots, no right wing parties, non of the british experience. Helps when you read the whole thread, doesn't it?

Why do you keep going off on a tangent. Does what leave a bitter taste?

I'll start again. You compared the UKs black and brown population (I missed the brown bit tbh) to Ireland's foreign born population. Can you still not see the error?

Why do you keep going off on a tangent. Does what leave a bitter taste?

I'll start again. You compared the UKs black and brown population (I missed the brown bit tbh) to Ireland's foreign born population. Can you still not see the error?
    This is like talking to a melon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

92.1% White
    4.0% South Asian
    2.0% Black
    1.2% Mixed
    0.4% Chinese
    0.4% Other
    was the ethnicity in 2001, not sure where you get this 2% figure from.

So was the 20% figure appropriate then? Or should you have used the more comparable 4% non-white population in Ireland to 2% non-white population in Britain at the time? You could still have made your point.

Of course Ireland is better. We have some serious problems in this country, but widespread racism isn't among them. The sooner you deal with that the sooner your own head will be de-beached..

When you neighbour gets your ladder back to you, ask him if he has ever been to England, or if he has family there (There is a good chance, most Nigerians I've met here do) and whether he feels England is more racist than Ireland.

Prepare yourself for a shock. Of course, he might just be being aggressive and playing the race card

summerskin wrote: »
    92.1% White
    4.0% South Asian
    2.0% Black
    1.2% Mixed
    0.4% Chinese
    0.4% Other
    was the ethnicity in 2001, not sure where you get this 2% figure from.
    From the wikileaks US ambassador leak I referenced a half dozen posts back, and for the what, third time in the thread? Come on ye english, try to keep up what what.

When you neighbour gets your ladder back to you, ask him if he has ever been to England, or if he has family there (There is a good chance, most Nigerians I've met here do) and whether he feels England is more racist than Ireland.

Prepare yourself for a shock.
    The only shock I'll be having today is if you accept the cast iron facts laid out before you. Race riots and record high racism convictions, right wing parties and all that stuff, yes, england is more racist than Ireland by a long shot.

This "everyone is doing it" bullshit just doesn't stand up to reality.

Link after link after link and he still calls it baseless.

Of course Ireland is better. We have some serious problems in this country, but widespread racism isn't among them. The sooner you deal with that the sooner your own head will be de-beached.

Yeah I don't care about that. You still speak in the majority French however.

So how come me and my wife have been verbally abused numerous times over here? she's even irish, FFS. I've had a middle aged man come at me with a metal pipe and tell me to "fcuk off back to england you english cnut" and my irish wife was called an "english bitch" by a woman in a supermarket.

She moved to england when she was 8 and has said she never suffered racism over there like she has received back here in what is meant to be her own country.

And how convenient for you to now "not care" about a previous nonsensical post. Still, it's one of many, i suppose.

• Advertisement

So how come me and my wife have been verbally abused numerous times over here? she's even irish, FFS. I've had a middle aged man come at me with a metal pipe and tell me to "fcuk off back to england you english cnut" and my irish wife was called an "english bitch" by a woman in a supermarket.

She moved to england when she was 8 and has said she never suffered racism over there like she has received back here in what is meant to be her own country.
    I suppose you reported these dreadful incidents to the guards? Or were they too imaginary for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

girlonfire wrote: »
    Once had a South African woman dismiss me with the wave of a hand for being "one of those Irish p****s" who destroyed her country. :rolleyes:

white south africans are exclusivley protestant , might have thought you sympathised with the ANC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

To answer the OP's question......
    Has anyone ever been nasty to me for being Irish? No. I was born in England to Irish parents and have Irish born siblings and my upbringing was, for most part, culturally and socially Irish.

Has anyone ever been nasty to me for being English? Yes based on my accent only and not knowing me.

I'm proud of the fact that I was born in England and I must say some of the comments on this thread are really starting to grate on me.

I suppose you reported these dreadful incidents to the guards? Or were they too imaginary for that?

What an odious comment. Pathetic really. Does racism not exist in ireland at all? not even from you? you seem to be the most racist person i've come across on Boards.

As it is, yes the metal pipe incident was reported to the Gardai by the landlord of the pub i was in at the time. Despite being less than 1km away it took them over 1 hour to respond and said "he's just a hot-head, if it happens again call us". Wonderful response.

The only shock I'll be having today is if you accept the cast iron facts laid out before you. Race riots and record high racism convictions, right wing parties and all that stuff, yes, england is more racist than Ireland by a long shot.

This "everyone is doing it" bullshit just doesn't stand up to reality.

The convictions are for hate crime, not just racism.

As I've said before, in England these things are dealt with and therefore they become statistics. In Ireland they are swept under the carpet.

As the article clearly states, those figures will include religious hatred, homophobic hatred and race hate. To make a fair comparison compare them with the homophobic, racial hatred and religous hatred convictions made in Ireland.

Then multiply the number by six, because as the survey i qouted states, one in six race crimes (and I presume religious and homophobic crimes) aren't reported.

by the way, homophobic crime doesn't include all the cases of nasty gay men having sex prior to 1993(:eek:) when Ireland decriminalised gay sex.

I guess the numbers would also be fairly low for discrimination against homosexuals, as discrimination against them is still acceptable under Irish law.

• Advertisement

Nah its fair to say the english are in general more racist than us. Almost annual race riots, institutional discrimination, far right racist political parties and elected members of parliament, hell even norn iron has become under their administration the most racist place in the developed world. What was that wikileaks where the US ambassador was saying something along the lines of "casual racism is commonplace, these people are living in the 19th century"? Its true, to be honest, although naturally not for all.

:D

irish people are too soft hearted to be proper racists , shouting at the owner of an indian restaraunt while pissed at 3 in the morning is not the same as being vice president of the BNP

we dont have the dedication and discipline required , look at the level of discipline and dedication to holding on to grudges that is required to keep the orange order going , three centurys of hate and superiority complex , truly admirable , the irish are too lazy for such dedicated tradition

What an odious comment. Pathetic really. Does racism not exist in ireland at all? not even from you? you seem to be the most racist person i've come across on Boards.
    Oh, right. Well my humblest apologies if linking to a bunch of factual news stories and joining a few obvious dots strikes you as racist. Hope you don't find many other realities offensive, there's only so much time in the day you know.

Of course there is racism in Ireland. My point is there's a lot less of it than in the UK, in particular england. All the anecdote swapping in the world won't change the facts linked to.

Here's a very simple one to get you started: count off for me the number of race riots there have been in Ireland.
    As it is, yes the metal pipe incident was reported to the Gardai by the landlord of the pub i was in at the time. Despite being less than 1km away it took them over 1 hour to respond and said "he's just a hot-head, if it happens again call us". Wonderful response.
    Why did you not escalate it to the ombudsman if you felt hard done by?

irish people are too soft hearted to be proper racists , shouting at the owner of an indian restaraunt while pissed at 3 in the morning is not the same as being vice president of the BNP

we dont have the dedication and discipline required , look at the level of discipline and dedication to holding on to grudges that is required to keep the orange order going , three centurys of hate and superiority complex , truly admirable , the irish are too lazy for such dedicated tradition

But not too soft hearted to create and maintain one of the most active terrorist organisations in the world?

The Irish are no different to anyone else to be honest.

The convictions are for hate crime, not just racism.

As I've said before, in England these things are dealt with and therefore they become statistics. In Ireland they are swept under the carpet.

As the article clearly states, those figures will include religious hatred, homophobic hatred and race hate. To make a fair comparison compare them with the homophobic, racial hatred and religous hatred convictions made in Ireland.
    You have to remember fred, I have not only read the article, I've read it before you. Maybe try a bit harder next time.
    The vast majority of prosecutions - 12,711 - were for racially-motivated offences.
    Then multiply the number by six, because as the survey i qouted states, one in six race crimes (and I presume religious and homophobic crimes) aren't reported.
    More melons. Did you miss the point being made by the rape and murder of that poor Swiss girl? I suppose you did.

But not too soft hearted to create and maintain one of the most active terrorist organisations in the world?

Take a good look at this, folks, this is the real picture. If he can't win he'll smear everyone else with as much of his own shite as he thinks he can get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I mean, most Irish know The Basque Country and Catalonia are still part of Spain...

My father's side of the family are a mix of Basque & Corsican, he would so slap you for that comment...even though it's true unfortunately :D

Espainiatik independentzia euskal onartzen

That's as bad as Doc Ruby. Are we to assume that every single crime in the UK is reported?

if they remained on their knees and continued to take a beating from their betters , you,d say the irish are pussys

damned if you do

damned if you dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Has anyone ever been nasty to me for being English? Yes based on my accent only and not knowing me.

I'm proud of the fact that I was born in England and I must say some of the comments on this thread are really starting to grate on me.

Yeah, that's the same with me. I was born in England and lived there for the first 3 1/2 years of my life. Then moved to France for a few years.

Then when I finally moved to Ireland (Mother is Irish) I still had a proper London accent and used to get pretty much bullied in primary school for it. These kids were only 8-9 years old :eek: So I tried my best to put on an Irish accent to stop being mocked about it, and it stuck. Don't really sound English at all now, just have this generic kinda Irish accent going on. Thinking back on it I just can't believe young kids were like that over an English accent..

Take a good look at this, folks, this is the real picture. If he can't win he'll smear everyone else with as much of his own shite as he thinks he can get away with.

sorry Doc, did i hit a nerve?
    That's as bad as Doc Ruby. Are we to assume that every single crime in the UK is reported?

No, but it does go a long way to disprove figures quoted.
    if they remained on their knees and continued to take a beating from their betters , you,d say the irish are pussys

damned if you do

damned if you dont

No, but it does disprove this notion that the Irish are too soft to become racists. The Irish are as capable of being racist as anyone else.

• Advertisement

Not at all, I'm finding the whole thing quite entertaining.
    Lets see if we can drum this in. Scumbags target anyone handy. If that person happens to be say an African, they are going to hurl anti-African slurs. African person feels they have been racially abused. The reality is yes they have been, but its not indicative of a trend of racism. Its just scumbags, who affect everyone at one stage or another.

Thats assuming there is any fact behind this six times number, which I doubt.
    No, but it does disprove this notion that the Irish are too soft to become racists. The Irish are as capable of being racist as anyone else.
    Sorry fred, you won't be tarring us with your mucky oul brush.

Here, some light reading for you:
    n the early 1980s, societal racism, discrimination and poverty — alongside further perceptions of powerlessness and oppressive policing — sparked a series of riots in areas with substantial African-Caribbean populations.[13] These riots took place in St Pauls in 1980, Brixton, Toxteth and Moss Side in 1981, St Pauls again in 1982, Notting Hill Gate in 1982, Toxteth in 1982, and Handsworth, Brixton and Tottenham in 1985.[14]

The report identified both "racial discrimination" and a " extreme racial disadvantage" in Britain, concluding that urgent action was needed to prevent these issues becoming an "endemic, ineradicable disease threatening the very survival of our society".[13] The era saw an increase in attacks on Black people by White people. The Joint Campaign Against Racism committee reported that there had been more than 20,000 attacks on non- Indigenous Britons including Britons of Asian origin during 1985.[15]

The British Crime Survey reveals that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. They had suffered 49,000 violent attacks, with 4,000 being wounded. At the same time 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim of a racially motivated crime. The number of violent attacks against whites reached 77,000, while the number of white people who reported being wounded was five times the number of black and minority ethnic victims at 20,000. Most of the offenders (57%) in the racially motivated crimes identified in the British Crime Survey are not white. White victims said 82% of offenders were not white.[16]

Racism in one form or another was widespread in Britain before the twentieth century, and during the 1900s particularly towards Jewish groups and immigrants from Eastern Europe. The British establishment even considered Irish people a separate and degenerate race until well into the 20th century.

Since World War I, public expressions of racism have been limited to far-right political parties such as the British National Front in the 1970s, whilst most mainstream politicians have publicly condemned all forms of racism. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that racism remains widespread, and many politicians and public figures have been accused of excusing or pandering to racist attitudes in the media, particularly with regard to immigration. There have been growing concerns in recent years about institutional racism in public and private bodies, and the tacit support this gives to crimes resulting from racism.

The Race Relations Act 1965 outlawed public discrimination, and established the Race Relations Board. Further Acts in 1968 and 1976 outlawed discrimination in employment, housing and social services, and replaced the Race Relations Board with Commission for Racial Equality. The Human Rights Act 1999 made organisations in Britain, including public authorities, subject to the European Convention on Human Rights. The Race Relations Act 2000 extends existing legislation for the public sector to the police force, and requires public authorities to promote equality.

Although various anti-discrimination legislation do exist, according to some sources most employers in the UK remain institutionally racist including public bodies such as the police [17] and particularly the legal profession.[18] It is also nearly impossible for persons subject to such institutional racism (who are normally economically disadvantaged) to seek legal redress, as in the UK public funding (legal aid) is not available at employment tribunals.[19] The situation with the implementation of Human Rights law is similar. The Terrorism Acts, which came into law in 2000 and 2006, have caused a marked increase in racial profiling and have also been the basis to justify existent trends in discrimination against persons of Muslim origin (or resembling such) by the British police.

There have been tensions over immigration since at least the early 1900s. These were originally engendered by hostility towards Jews and immigrants from Russia and Eastern Europe. Britain first began restricting immigration in 1905 under the Aliens Restriction Act. This was the first time that the United Kingdom implemented a policy that was designed to prevent the influx of immigrants. In particular it was aimed at those Jews who had fled persecution in Russia. Before the Act Britain had had a favourable immigration policy, most notably throughout the Victorian Period. However,for the first time policy was enacted to prevent the wholesale entry of foreign migrants. Although the Act was extreme Britain maintained its asylum policy. This meant that any persons who had fled their country due to religious or political persecution could be granted asylum in the United Kingdom. However, such policy was removed in the period before the Second World War to prevent the wholesale entry of Jewish refugees leaving from the Third Reich. Although Britain's policy was restrictive it was one of the leading nations that helped solve the refugee crisis preceding World War Two.

Britain has also had very strong limits on immigration since the early 1960s. Legislation was particularly targeted at members of the Commonwealth of Nations, who had previously been able to migrate to the UK under the British Nationality Act 1948. Conservative MP Enoch Powell made a controversial 1968 Rivers of Blood speech in opposition to Commonwealth immigration to Britain; this resulted in him being swiftly removed from the Shadow Cabinet.

Virtually all legal immigration, except for those claiming refugee status, ended with the Immigration Act 1971; however, free movement for citizens of the European Union was later established by the Immigration Act 1988. Legislation in 1993, 1996 and 1999 gradually decreased the rights and benefits given to those claiming refugee status ("asylum seekers"). 582,000 people came to live in the UK from elsewhere in the world in 2004 according to the office of National Statistics.

Some commentators believe that an amount of racism, from within all communities, has been undocumented within the UK, adducing the many British cities whose populations have a clear racial divide. While these commentators believe that race relations have improved immensely over the last thirty years, they still believe that racial segregation remains an important but largely unaddressed problem, although research [9] has shown that ethnic segregation has reduced within England and Wales between the 1991 Census and 2001 Census.

The United Kingdom has been accused of "sleepwalking toward apartheid" by Trevor Phillips, chair of that country's Commission for Racial Equality. Philips has said that Britain is fragmenting into isolated racial communities: "literal black holes into which no one goes without fear and trepidation and nobody escapes undamaged". Philips believes that racial segregation in Britain is approaching that of the United States. "You can get to the point as they have in the U.S. where things are so divided that there is no turning back."[20]

The BBC has reported that the latest crime statistics appear to support Phillips' concerns. They show that race-hate crimes increased by almost 600 per cent in London in the month after the July 7 bomb attacks, with 269 more offences allegedly "motivated by religious hatred" reported to the Metropolitan Police, compared to the same period last year.[20]

In 2007 racist remarks made by contestants on the Celebrity Big Brother TV series against Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty caused widespread outrage, within the UK and internationally. Demonstrators in Bangalore burned effigies of the TV Channel's directors.[21]
    Employment

An area of particular concern is institutional racism and discrimination in employment and recruitment, with discrimination being a significant factor affecting labour market outcomes for members of ethnic minorities and race being a significant consideration of UK employers, as opposed to a candidate's academic or other qualifications, in making recruitment decisions. [22]

This is particular in conditions of recession and lower levels of economic growth, as UK employers only tend towards ethnic minority candidates as a last resort and such candidates are only likely to be employed in an environment of high employment yet are otherwise rejected, making them largely unable to recoup their losses during economic recovery, as compared to the white majority; a phenomenon that "ratchets" the worsening gap between non-white and white unemployment. [23]

Public sector employers in the UK are somewhat less likely to discriminate on grounds of race, as they are required by law to promote equality and make efforts to reduce racial and other discrimination. The private sector, however are subject to little or no functional anti-discrimination regulation and short of self paid litigation, no remedies are available for members of ethnic minorities. [24] UK employers can also effectively alleviate themselves from any legal duty not to discriminate on the basis of race, by 'outsourcing' recruitment and thus any liability for the employers' racial screeening and discriminatory policies to third party recruitment companies. [25] [26]
    Racism within UK Police

Police forces in the United Kingdom have been accused of institutionalised racism since the late 20th century.[who?] A stand which many[who?] believe is the catalyst for the 2011 summer riot. During the riot, a Metropolitan Police officer, PC Alex MacFarlane [27], arrested and attempted strangling an African origin male and used racial words like '******' and 'black ****' on him. The case was referred to UK Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) who declined bringing charges against the officers involved. The CPS reconsidered their decision after being threatened by the victim's lawyer to escalate the case to a high court. On March 31st 2012, it was announced the victim has presented a taped recording of the recorded abuses from the police.[28]
    Modern England

In 2001, there have been both the Bradford riots and the Oldham Riots. These riots have followed cases of racism - either the public displays of racist sentiment or, as in the Brixton Riots, racial profiling and alleged harassment by the police force. In 2005, there have been Birmingham riots between Asian community and the black community, as a black teenager had been allegedly raped by South Asian men, although no teenager came forward claiming she had been raped. In July 2008, the London-based National Children's Bureau released a 366-page guide counseling adults on recognizing racist behavior in young children. The guide, titled Young Children and Racial Justice, warns adults that babies must also be included in the effort to eliminate racism. Nursery staff must be alert for racist remarks among toddlers, a government-sponsored agency report has said.[29]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

You lot are awful. No YOU lot are awful.

No, yousuns...no yousuns. Ad infinitum.

Build a bridge, get a room etc. It's pathetic.

striking back against centurys of institutional opression is not racist in my book , i dont consider nelson mandella to have been a racist

striking back against centurys of institutional opression is not racist in my book , i dont consider nelson mandella to have been a racist

So in your book it's ok to racially abuse me as i was born in the UK?

So in your book it's ok to racially abuse me as i was born in the UK?
    What possible relationship might that sentence have to what he said?

To answer the OP's question......
    Has anyone ever been nasty to me for being Irish? No. I was born in England to Irish parents and have Irish born siblings and my upbringing was, for most part, culturally and socially Irish.

The problem with these threads , which come around like a bad itch from time to time is that the old hangs up's about race relations never go away but at least there's enough posters around to give fair balance on the subjext so as not to become one whole '' Anti-Irish /English '' thread ,which the OP may not have had it mind ...but they can become embarrassing to many .

Not at all, I'm finding the whole thing quite entertaining.

Lets see if we can drum this in. Scumbags target anyone handy. If that person happens to be say an African, they are going to hurl anti-African slurs. African person feels they have been racially abused. The reality is yes they have been, but its not indicative of a trend of racism. Its just scumbags, who affect everyone at one stage or another

aaah, so in other words, if there are more immigrants in a country, then there will be more instances of scumbags using race as a reason to assault them.

It would also follow, that some of these immigrants themselves might be scumbags and engage in their own racial assaults.

Gotcha.

So therefore a country like Ireland, with very little in the way of diversity, would have few racist attacks than a country like England, which is one of the most culturally diverse in the world.

Yes?

:confused:

I never implied that it was

The problem with these threads , which come around like a bad itch from time to time is that the old hangs up's about race relations never go away but at least there's enough posters around to give fair balance on the subjext so as not to become one whole '' Anti-Irish /English '' thread ,which the OP may not have had it mind ...but they can become embarrassing to many .

Guilty your honour.

• Advertisement

So therefore a country like Ireland, with very little in the way of diversity, would have few racist attacks than a country like England, which is one of the most culturally diverse in the world.
    Look at this, "culturally diverse" means "different skin colour" it seems.

Ireland is more culturally diverse than the UK, as it turns out, with more non-Irish nationals in the country as a percentage of the whole, certainly a hell of a lot more who weren't born here. And if you're trying to say you can only be racist against people with different coloured skin, why did you bother linking to a story about that Polish guy a while back?

And yet here we are, with none of the english problems, no right wing parties, and no extremist politicians, no race riots, and all this in the middle of a serious recession.

Advertisement