Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead spots in grass

• 21-05-2012 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

i was walking through the silage field that i closed off from the cattle about a week ago and i noticed spots of dead grass, some are very big they are usually round some have a diamature of 4/5 foot and some have bearly a foot, ive no manure or slurry put on that field this year im planning on putting maure on this week but would like to find out what them spots are if anyone could please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I notice if cattle pee in one spot then it can burn it up if the weather is very dry. Usually when the rain comes then, it goes the other way, becoming lush green grass. 5 to 6 ft is a lot of pee though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I have the same thing, very puzzling. I wonder could it have been acid rain. We had a spell of rain from the East a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

ya i was thinkg acid rain as well but why would it be in only one spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

could be a combination of frost and p..s too. was some hard frosts around here last week and any grass walked on etcgot badly singed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Could also be leatherjackets

see here http://www.dowagro.com/ie/grass_bites/leatherjacket/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

Had the same problem in March, dug a hole and they they were -- Mr leatherJacket !. Sprayed whole field Trigger from DHM. 80e/5lt

what was the name of the spray you used, should i kill of the grass and plough? and use that spray that you used

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

I just ran a chain harrow through the field, then sprayed with an insecticide that has Trigger written on the container, made by DHM Agrochemicals in Dublin. Shook a bit of grass seed & fertilizer in the patches and gave it a rolling. Thats was my solution anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ptrlaurent

They may be caused by some machine leaking petrol or diesel onto the ground..

no its deffo not that, there hasnt been a tractor in that field sence silage last year, nd there was a few small dead spots in it last year but not as many and now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 basilbuster

More than likely pasture scorch caused by high nitrogen/urea content in the cattle urine. Seen it a few times but seems to be worse this year with the dry hot weather.

how can that be fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Had something like that a few years ago. It was in August and there was alot of lightening nearby, the static fried my computer so it must have been close. Came back in spring to find a bare patch about 6-8 feet in diameter. I wondered was it where the lightening grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

urea in urine is burning it

Advertisement