Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can engineered wood floor be floated over carpet underlay?

• 21-05-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

As per title, can carpet underway be used for this purpose? Taking up carpet, putting down wood.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If its much thicker than 3-4 mm I wouldn't. Carpet underlay is often too thick and soft and I guess it could allow the boards to flex too much when walking. You could find yourself with creaking boards in no time and I imagine the joints could be vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I tried this before in a small room, complete disaster. Its too springy. Pull up the underlay and put down the correct stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I did this ok with an upstairs bedroom and its perfect. Have had no problems with it at all....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie3

why take the chance ? I'm at this game over 10 years putting down floors and the like ,and i can't for the life of me understand why people don't just do it the right way .{ its as easy to do it the right way, as it is to do it the wrong way .}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    As per title, can carpet underway be used for this purpose? Taking up carpet, putting down wood.
    Rip in the underlay and get the foam roll down. Cheap as chips. Underlay is too thick, prob close to 8mm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement