Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddling => I suck at it

Options
  • 21-05-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Getting out the back has been killing me. I had to turn back after failing to make it out after catching a wave in. (got a kicking in the impact zone)

I then spent 15 min in a rip and had a lifeguard calling me back in. :( Thank feck they are not filming bondi rescue or i would be on it. Wasn't in danger and did everything right just slow at making ground and have been in a fair few rips in my time.

This is also proving to be a problem getting up to speed to catch a wave.

Is it all fitness or is there some fundamental im missing. Any pointers other than don't drowned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Spend some time on the shore before you paddle out to watch where the best route is and pick your line. Watch where the shoulders of the waves are, where are the rips, the flat sections etc. Read the beach / points etc before wasting time and energy paddling through endless crap.

Fitness plays a fairly strong role in successful paddling, but technique is also important, where are you getting tired; arms, shoulders, upper / lower back? You may be lying too flat, your chest / head may be too high. It may be worth getting a specific / focused lesson from someone like Bens Surf Clinic to work on a few buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNf8uTuxpE&feature=related

10.57 on is about paddling :)
    but i'd also reccommend Bens clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I used to run out of paddle power easily until I started doing press-ups regularly. About 100 a day in 5 sets of 20 did it for me. It really helped me anyway.

Use the full length of your arm as well when you are paddling. Stretch out your arm and try to pull the water into the underside of the board. Thats a Kelly Slater tip, not mine btw!
    An keep your fingers together while paddling!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What size is your board?

An important thing is to wait for the lulls between big sets I find. There's no point paddling against the big ones and getting nowhere, just turtle role/duck dive then paddle like hell when there's a lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Spend some time on the shore before you paddle out to watch where the best route is and pick your line. Watch where the shoulders of the waves are, where are the rips, the flat sections etc. Read the beach / points etc before wasting time and energy paddling through endless crap.

Fitness plays a fairly strong role in successful paddling, but technique is also important, where are you getting tired; arms, shoulders, upper / lower back? You may be lying too flat, your chest / head may be too high. It may be worth getting a specific / focused lesson from someone like Bens Surf Clinic to work on a few buts.

Ben was my fist surf lesson a year or so ago, I am currently living in Oz at Bondi honest. But yep it looks like a targeted lesson is on the cards.

I fixed some of my technique but im not making the progress id like. Since fixing it the biceps are where it hurts as opposed to the shoulders.

I do get out but its usually a case of a calm ish day or using a rip. On a windy messy day I get beaten back.

Generally im suffering after 4-5 large waves the lack of speed means I get pounded.

I do get out when I get one of those angry determined moments but nothing like the pace or ease that others get out at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNf8uTuxpE&feature=related

10.57 on is about paddling :)
    but i'd also reccommend Bens clinic

Ill take a look thanks. Ill have find an ozzie version of Ben.

dermo909 wrote: »
    I used to run out of paddle power easily until I started doing press-ups regularly. About 100 a day in 5 sets of 20 did it for me. It really helped me anyway.

Use the full length of your arm as well when you are paddling. Stretch out your arm and try to pull the water into the underside of the board. Thats a Kelly Slater tip, not mine btw!
    An keep your fingers together while paddling!

Ok il start dong a bundle of them after jogging. My fitness has improved allot but cold use more work. I'll give that tip a go later in the week.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What size is your board?

An important thing is to wait for the lulls between big sets I find. There's no point paddling against the big ones and getting nowhere, just turtle role/duck dive then paddle like hell when there's a lull.

The board is 7ft 4 and im 5f 9. I have a a habit of trying to paddle against everything that isn't breaking on top of me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The board is 7ft 4 and im 5f 9. I have a a habit of trying to paddle against everything that isn't breaking on top of me.

Yea, if its big just take the hit and don't waste your energy. Turtle rolling will stop you getting pushed back too much if done right also.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Had the same issue when surfing Bondi.

Best thing to do is to wait the set out.

Then get paddling when you see a lull. Can be heartbreaking though watching the better surfers catch several waves before you even make it out.

Last time I went out (Torquay) a few weeks ago, I wasted so much energy getting out all the time that when crunch time came I didnt have enough energy to pop up. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Could be that you're just lying too far back on the board as well, which pushes the arse end of the board under water more and creates a lot of drag. If that is the case and you don't shift yourself forward a bit all the press-ups and exercise in the world won't help you. How much nose is sticking out of the water when you paddle, and how much of you is hanging off the tail?

Thanks again I think my position on the board is ok but i think im too flat on the board. Im looking into a lesson this weekend to sort it out.

Ill let ye know when I get back in saturday evening.

Got out Saturday for about 4 hours. Paddling much improved but I still have quite a bit of work to do to catch more waves.

The video above helped so I ordered the DVD.

I wasn't missing too many but it was a very calm day so the one big set really needed to count.

I should have more time next weekend now the beaches are emptying out for the winter.

(16degrees C days and 20 degrees water temperature with wind chill of 10degrees is not a cold day) They should try Lehich in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

I find starting to pull with the next stroke just a you re taking your hand out from the last is important cadence to keep your momentum, and I try paddle light and fast going out keeping your muscles relaxed, looking at the water just infront of the board at bubbles you re passing etc helps you know you re progressing.

Not sure what fixed it exactly
    • Iv been training 4 times a week lately for an adventure race so im much much fitter already.
    • Been using rips allot more.
    • Eskimo Rolling allot more
    • Watching my technique left hand still doing weird stuff
    • Making sure I aim for a lull instead of being a hard ass.

Got out Saturday for a a good session. Got tossed badly and an hour later called it quits after breaking my leash.

Must invest in a very strong leash as this is the second leash iv broken this year and I really don't like loosing my board.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

How's your swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Not sure what fixed it exactly
    • Iv been training 4 times a week lately for an adventure race so im much much fitter already.
    • Been using rips allot more.
    • Eskimo Rolling allot more
    • Watching my technique left hand still doing weird stuff
    • Making sure I aim for a lull instead of being a hard ass.

Got out Saturday for a a good session. Got tossed badly and an hour later called it quits after breaking my leash.

Must invest in a very strong leash as this is the second leash iv broken this year and I really don't like loosing my board.:(
    Check your fin(s) - I went through 3 or 4 leashes in a season before I found the little sharp spot on the trailing edge of my fins that was nicking little chunks out of the cord

Check your fin(s) - I went through 3 or 4 leashes in a season before I found the little sharp spot on the trailing edge of my fins that was nicking little chunks out of the cord

This one broke at the joint with the ankle strap.

Thanks ill keep it in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

is it better to keep feet on or off the board when paddling?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

I've not found it makes much difference on my 7'6, as my feet aren't trailing through the water, and if you keep them tightly together i don't think it makes much difference. I guess if you've a short board and your feet are dragging it'll slow you down. Sometimes i like to put my feet in the air for my 9'3 too as it seems to center my weight and make me paddle faster though

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Sometimes i like to put my feet in the air for my 9'3 too as it seems to center my weight and make me paddle faster though

I do that when paddling for a wave. Putting my chest down on the board while putting my legs in the air seems to give me a little bit of a boost. Works pretty well when the waves are'nt very steep.

Advertisement