Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World War 1 + 2

• 21-05-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

= 3 :p

Can anyone recommend any good books about the history of both world wars. There's an awful lot I don't know about both.

I not going to be writing an assigent on them or anything, I'm just looking for a nice book that gives some background information on each countries part in he war.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can anyone recommend any good books about the history of both world wars. There's an awful lot I don't know about both.

I not going to be writing an assigent on them or anything, I'm just looking for a nice book that gives some background information on each countries part in he war.

Could you not just watch 'Allo 'Allo and Dad's Army???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

For WWII watch the tv series "The World at War". There's a book based on the series but its better to watch it. :D (the programme - not the book!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A Complete History of World War 1 & 2 by J. R. Hartley

eoin1981 wrote: »
    For WWII watch the tv series "The World at War". There's a book based on the series but its better to watch it. :D (the programme - not the book!)

Highly recommend this series too. Epic stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

26 episodes at an hour each, gives a brilliant insight into it. So much went on that a single book would never cover.
    Despite being a bookworm myself this is one of the times where TV does outshine a book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKbQhs0pO8
    The amount of books you would need to read to get that insight would have to be huge. The BBC researched it already for us :)
    If you find a battle or aspect of the war your interested that you spot in the series then go get some books on it. Thats the best way to do it. The series couldnt possibly cover it all either, too much happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

After Hours really?

Anyway Sir Basil Liddell Hart wrote a comprehensive history of both wars,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Blackadder has an unbiased account of WW1 I believe, riveting viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There are TV series out there and through the marvels of modern technology they've added colour to their footage
    It's amazing, like seeing the French army in their blue in WW1

Up on youtube and I think 40D

Once you watch colour it's hard to go back to the other documentaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Band of Brothers is excellent watching, but it is a drama rather than a documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 karenjlwalker

On your journey of reading through the histories of both, try to pick up some more personalised/soldier focused books, just to bring a bit of humanity to all the facts and figures.

The Band of Brothers book (The TV series is a great watch too) is one that I would recommend as well as Black Edelweiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

mein kampf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I suggest the 'Horrible Histories' accounts of both wars

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Discovery History runs nothing but war stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a Military Forum under Soc. Has a subforum for each war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Read Berlin The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor.
    It covers not just the Battle of Berlin in April/May but the invasion of Germany in January by the Red Army intent on revenge for what the Germans did in Russia - terrifying stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There's a Military Forum under Soc. Has a subforum for each war.
    This.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement