Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Malahide Castle

Options
  • 21-05-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Simple enough question. Are you allowed to cycle around the grounds in Malahide Castle ( or in any of the FCC parks). I've rarely seen any cyclists, and can't find anything on any website. I used to cycle through when I was going up to Malahide Community school, but wondered have things changed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I don't know if you are allowed exactly but tbh I wouldn't, most of the paths are really narrow and bumpy and there does be always a lot of joggers/walkers, people with dogs, prams, children etc

It's hard enough to jog on some of paths without dogging or bashing into people, never mind cycle.

Malahide /portmarnock coast road is a nice cycle route.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Plenty of kids cycle through there up to Scoil Iosa.

Best to ring Fingal CoCo and talk to the parks department for clarification.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Ardgillan Castle has shared pedestrian / cycling paths, more suited for mountain bikes. Wouldn't be so bad during weekdays, when no one is around.

http://www.ardgillancastle.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    It's hard enough to jog on some of paths without dogging or bashing into people, never mind cycle.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow dogging :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The signs at the various pedestrian entrances to the park do say no cycling. The also say that all dogs should be kept on a lead at all times but you know how that falls on deaf ears.

Without trying to tar all of the kids in Scoil Iosa with the same brush, it does my head in when a handful of their students decide that around the 4pm mark to cycle through the playground at speed. It literally shaves 20 seconds off their journeys but can endanger the small kids that would be in the playground at that time

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would say that unless they have dedicated cycling paths it would not be allowed. Ardgillan was only opened up to cyclists over the past couple of years, on the strict understanding they keep to the track (it's one-way also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I've seen signs in Ardgillan and Newbridge stating "No Cycling", so I would guess it's the same in Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Definately signs banning it at the entraces. Never stopped me though, I don't cycle particuarly fast (or often, any more).

Advertisement