Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show 50 Year Celebration Spectacular

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

The thought of Tubs, Pat and Gay doing Vaudeville is quite interesting...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,569 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Late Late Show's 50th anniversary celebrations, which will take place on Friday 1st of June in front of a very special audience with guests including Liam Neeson, Imelda May, Horslips, Tommy Tiernan and Daniel O'Donnell.

I wonder wil Gay and Pat host the show together with Ryan or part of it of their own

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What, no Crystal Swing?!

Not a single person watched the Late Late Show until young Derek high-kicked his way through the audience performing 'The Hucklebuck'.

RTE, please rectify this grave error immediately. It's a disgrace, Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who was on the first late late?any of them, bar Gay still alive enough to put in an appearance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who was on the first late late?any of them, bar Gay still alive enough to put in an appearance?

Balfie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thedecentofmanlatelateshow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Here's to another 50! (not that I'll be watching any of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

mike65 wrote: »
    Thedecentofmanlatelateshow.jpg

More like the descent of spelling standards! :)

I knew it looked wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I only noticed how much Tubridy looks like Andy Bernard from The Office (when he's pulling one of his gormless expressions).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Nothing hosted by Ryan Tubridy should ever be called a "celebration" or a "spectacular"... He'll probably be staging the show in a hospice..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Give a guess which one of the three will be relying on cue cards to get through the show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

arrggh wrong thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Smithers, release the boards hounds!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0529/tubridy.html

Well he's quite right I said on a Tubbers thread that the LLS needs to be cut to 90 mins, 130-140 is taking the piss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

and where's TWINK???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Well he's quite right I said on a Tubbers thread that the LLS needs to be cut to 90 mins, 130-140 is taking the piss.

Make it into two halfs with news in the middle
    A misery, politics and death half and then light entertainment for second half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Didn't feel too long in Gay's day...

Its only feels too long because of the quality of the host that currently presents it.

Quality of guests and topics too.

In Byrne's time and to a lesser extent, with Kenny, the show wasn't afraid to tackle contraversial subjects and set agendas.

It has now become a blasé, politically correct couple of hours of TV fearful of appearing to offend anyone.

Who was on the first late late? any of them, bar Gay still alive enough to put in an appearance?

By the way,

My response in post 6 to this question refers to Brendan Balfe who in his autobiography Radio Man describes being present in the studio audience for the first ever Late Late Show.

Given his immense contribution to Irish broadcasting in his 46 years with RTÉ since then, I think it would be a fitting gesture to invite him on to the show this Friday.

However, given the poor manner in which his forced retirement was conducted by RTÉ a couple of years ago, he could be forgiven for politely declining such an invitation.

His unique voice is missed on Ireland's airwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/50-year-old-late-late-show-is-one-part-too-long-says-host-ryan-tubridy-3123526.html

RYAN Tubridy thinks his own Late Late Show is too long.

Speaking to the RTE Guide ahead of this Friday’s 50th anniversary celebrations, he criticised the Late, Late for being a four-part ‘‘sprawl’’.

He told the magazine:

‘‘I don’t know anyone who could stay the course that long for a chat show.

‘’I’ll be honest, I reckon it’s too long by a part. It should be a three-part show, a lean mean fighting machine.’’

On Friday Tubridy is joined by his predecessors Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny to celebrate their 50 years presiding over one of the world’s longest-running TV shows.

Liam Neeson, Tommy Tiernan nd Daniel O’Donnell are among the guests on the special show.

According to RTE, Friday night’s audience will comprise of “people who have made the Late Late Show the most successful and watched chat show in Ireland over the past 50 years”.

The Late Late Show first went on air on Saturday, 6 July 1962, but was moved to Friday nights in September 1986.

- Independent.ie reporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ryan Tubridy, September 2011
    This is the year I hope to make the show my own. With two seasons under my belt, I'm looking forward to getting the show on the road.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

Ryan Tubridy, May 2012
    2011 was not a good year for me. If I was marking my own card it would have read 'could have done better'. I think I had a lapse in concentration. I can't identify one thing but it was a year that I'd like to have done again and done properly.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0529/tubridy.html

Talk is cheap, Mr. Tubridy. His concentration is not going to be helped by flying over to London for weeks at a time to present the BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show. I think he is a decent person in real life, but he has done poorly as host of the LLS. I can't see things improving next year, despite his comments above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The guys at FM 104 are really having it in now for Gay, Pat and Ryan. This video is definitely giving them the stick. Even though it is for a bit of craic.

Imagine if they have said this stuff on the actual night. It would be a first for the Late Late Show.

Hey I demand my picture back! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Thought the thread title said Cancellation.

Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I would have stars from Tv3 S latest offering of reality Dublin Housewives on. I would love to hear a 20 minute chat of the brown haired girl giving birth; because you know nobody has ever given birth before.
    Avid - avoid LLS fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,785 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tommy Tiernan is on? Cringe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Nothing hosted by Ryan Tubridy should ever be called a "celebration" or a "spectacular"... He'll probably be staging the show in a hospice..

What about a 'spectacular disaster' or a 'celebration of nepotistic gombeenism'?

The guest list is decent, but I was expecting; Twink, Dickie Rock, Louis Walsh, Boyzone, Jedward, Brendan O'Carrol etc. so thank **** I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Jedward are certainties for this show as is Sinead O'Connor and probably Louis Walsh, Boyzone and every self publicising talentless gimp going.

I'd say even Keith Barry will get another run out.

LLS is just a publicity platform for talentless gimps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

jimmynokia wrote: »

Liam Neeson, Tommy Tiernan and Daniel O’Donnell are among the guests on the special show.

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Guard" :D

I love Tommy Tiernan!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement