Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show 50 Year Celebration Spectacular

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Aren't we forgetting the most important star of all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan Tubridy announced tomorrow that he is quitting.

He has been in contract negotiations for ages, with no definitive announcement about the future.

His recent comments suggest he is cheesed off with the LLS and the criticism he is receiving.

If he does quit, you heard it here first. If he doesn't - move along, nothing to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »

Yeah Skid, cos life is just that good, isnt it..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MidlandsM wrote: »
    and where's TWINK???

Let sleeping dogs lie MidlandsM......:D:D:D

Yeah Skid, cos life is just that good, isnt it..

You've got to have a dream,
    If you don't have a dream,
    How you gonna make a dream come through? ...

• Advertisement

Good start to the impending madness Skid!!!........LOL........Bring it on!..:)

You've got to have a dream,
    If you don't have a dream,
    How you gonna make a dream come through? ...

There's more chance of him opening the show singing that, than there is of making my dream come true by retiring...

Did you hear that interview yesterday on The Last Word... Dear god... "I told Benicio Del Torro I'd meet him for a few pints after The Late Late Show, so we went off and talked Cuba and American politics".... i.e. God amn't I so clever that I have an interest in subject that the average "spuds in his ears" Irish bogger wouldnt know anything about.. insufferable, pretentious twat..

There's more chance of him opening the show singing that, than there is of making my dream come true by retiring...

Did you hear that interview yesterday on The Last Word... Dear god... "I told Benicio Del Torro I'd meet him for a few pints after The Late Late Show, so we went off and talked Cuba and American politics".... i.e. God amn't I so clever that I have an interest in subject that the average "spuds in his ears" Irish bogger wouldnt know anything about.. insufferable, pretentious twat..

On a roll there JA....

We should open a book on the number of threads tom;).....

Guests confirmed/rumoured for the Show include

Liam Neeson
    Imelda May
    Horslips
    Tommy Tiernan
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Patrick Kielty
    Dickie Rock
    Pat Shortt

although they claim to have over 100 people on, so some of them will be blink and you miss them appearances.

Nah, he is more of an Old School fan. He had three compilation CD's of 'Lounge Music' featuring Shirley Bassey, Tony Bennett, Andy Williams ... that kind of thing.

Perhaps Tubs will open by singing a version of this, and dedicate it to all the Boardsies drinking and posting at home :)

• Advertisement

I was walking through the shopping centre today and I saw this on the magazine rack...

latelate50th_copy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only one of them looks like the bastard son of Pete Campbell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

There's a cat who visits our house and I like to annoy it by singing random "meow meow meow"s in its face off-key in a Chief Wiggum style...

Anyway turns out I humming the verse to that Capt Sensible song and I didn't even know it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was walking through the shopping centre today and I saw this on the magazine rack...

latelate50th_copy.jpg

Switch Tuburty with the owl:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

If Tubbs retired we'd only get next off the RTE bench. Besides we need wait at least another ten years before Gerry Ryan's sprog is of age...it'll happen.

Here's crazy, imagine they interviewed people for the position, y'know people from the broader broadcast industry, granted they may even have to look outside of Ireland as to get experience you need be connected in the first place, but y'know hire based on skills and ability....

Don't run for the hills yet, but maybe they're grooming Tommy Tiernan:eek:

If Tubbs retired we'd only get next off the RTE bench.

They offered it to Patrick Kielty when Gay retired. He would have taken it to a more conventional light hearted show (similar to Kielty's old talk shows on BBC Northern Ireland and BBC1).

But unfortunately he didn't take it, and it has trundled on as an archaic overlong miseryfest ever since.

(Kielty is in the audience tonight, maybe they will introduce him as the next host! He is not in demand much in the UK now, maybe he will take it this time )

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Tommy Tiernan should be the next host.. Sure that'd be gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Tommy Tiernan should be the next host.. Sure that'd be gas!

That's why he would never get the job, RTE are ideologically opposed to comedy in all its forms, so no chance of him getting it or anyone even remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

He has been in contract negotiations for ages, with no definitive announcement about the future.

His recent comments suggest he is cheesed off with the LLS and the criticism he is receiving.

If he does quit, you heard it here first. If he doesn't - move along, nothing to see. :)

I'd be shocked because while he's just about good for the odd filling in role on the auld BBC, I don't think he'll be moving over there any time soon.

If Tubridy was really as good as some people make him out to be, he'd have a full time job on the BBC long ago.

Usually the guy who fills in at these stations is a hack broadcaster who is available at short notice, on the cheap and people can tolerate them for a few hours a week but no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Wonder will someone mention the elephant in the room tonight?

That is, the decline of the LLS from an often humdrum, yet always professional and occasionally brilliant youth, through an anodyne and sometimes cringeworthy middle aged decade under the often ill suited PK, and on to an extended undeserved and unworthy old age, prone to morbidity, dwelling on sadness, ill health and death, only visited in the nursing home by distant barely known relatives, dribbling into its soup and soiling itself with monotonous regularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Wonder will Bono and the lads make an appearance tonight...

Westlife and Dustin as well perhaps.

Sinead O'Connor a certainty (said it on Ray D'Arcy durig the week).

Hopefully should be a good night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wonder will someone mention the elephant in the room tonight?

That is, the decline of the LLS from an often humdrum, yet always professional and occasionally brilliant youth, through an anodyne and sometimes cringeworthy middle aged decade under the often ill suited PK, and on to an extended undeserved and unworthy old age, prone to morbidity, dwelling on sadness, ill health and death, only visited in the nursing home by distant barely known relatives, dribbling into its soup and soiling itself with monotonous regularity.

...... that still gets enormous audiences :D (heard a figure during the week but wasn't paying attention, so can't quote you stats unfortunately)

Graham Norton has Jon Hamm AND Charlize Theron on tonight - talk about a good-looking guest list! I think I know where I'll be migrating.... if I'm still awake by then.

ETA - found this by a little bit of googling (sorry, still don't know how to embed) http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0107/latelate2.html

But let me add, no-one - but no-one - would be gladder than me to see some RTE bod pop up tonight and say "y'know what, after 50 fantastic years, we've decided to quit while we're ahead". What's the chances??? :D:D

Okay drinking game tonight.... each posters on the thread must empty their glass when one of the following happens:

i) Tubridy to say "And how did you feel then" at any stage in the misery slot.

ii) Gay Byrne says "hmmm.. hmmmm.. Sonny" in a patronising manner.. nb. It is not enough for him to be just patronising without saying the magic words, otherwise we will continuously drinking all night..

iii) Pat Kenny says "WOW .. that's a wonderful sound you have" when some rubbish band finishes playing their hick bluegrass banjo medley..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I get the impression were the LLS to end, and I say this as someone who has seen two episodes in 3 or so years, there would be a lot of upset people on this very thread.

Okay drinking game tonight.... each posters on the thread must empty their glass when one of the following happens:

ii) Gay Byrne says "hmmm.. hmmmm.. Sonny" in a patronising manner.. nb. It is not enough for him to be just patronising without saying the magic words, otherwise we will continuously drinking all night..

iii) Pat Kenny says "WOW .. that's a wonderful sound you have" when some rubbish band finishes playing their hick bluegrass banjo medley..

Hic, hic, wha?????

Ooops (Lapin and the whiskey) again.....burp.....apologies......:o

If you're Irish come into the parlour......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

AuUpdAnCMAAZ8Ft.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Gaybo could never spell for sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Graham Norton has Jon Hamm ....... on tonight
    Whoever that is he's no Kevin Bacon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Realistically they'll have to endure it stone cold sober that way. Have a heart! How about:

i) Every time Tubridy complete misinteprets everything and gets his wires crossed, or says something incredibly obnoxious, cuts the person off just as they're about to say something interesting.

ii) Every time Gay puts on his stuuuuuuuuuuuuupid American accent for no reason and thinks everyone loves it (idiot...).

iii) Every time Pat pretends to be fascinated by something and puts on that ridiculous voice. An extra strong one if Pat dramatically gets "offended".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tubs will get shown up for the clown he is tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement