Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most beautiful sea/beach in Cork

Options
  • 21-05-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I would appreciate it if any of you could shed some light on this topic.

I'm looking to go to a nice beach with clear water, preferably with a decent family-friendly hotel/BBs. Which part of cork would be best suited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well i just came back from Barleycove/crookhaven area this weekend and I could not belive how clear and blue the water was down there. So so pretty remined me of a blue lagoon..There are plenty of places down there to stay..Barleycove caravan park has one of the beaches just across from it, not too sure how much but will be looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Quality Hotel in Youghal is a good option. Miles of beach to enjoy (you can walk from the hotel right along the beach to town). Perks Funfair is another attraction which will keep the kids amused. Geryhound racing every Tuesday and Friday nights and some really good restaurants in the town.

Hotel has playground, games room, all weather pitches, tennis courts, pool, gym etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishboard

Thank you for the advise, appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Whiting Bay is just around the corner from Youghal, too. A great beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

My vote would have to go to Dunmore. It is about 3 miles outside Clonakilty as you head for Ardfield.

Dunmore House Hotel is there, lovely family run establishment with lovely food and there is a beautiful cove with high cliffs, so well sheltered if the wind is coming off the land, about 1,000 yards from the hotel.

There is also a myriad of B&Bs in the area.

Enjoy west Cork - it is God's little piece of heaven on this earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Inchydoney would be another great option staying at http://www.inchydoneyisland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Most beautifull beach area is barleycove near crookhaven but it is very remote without a lot of services, similar to around Blasket islands on Dingle peninsula.

Around clonakilty has loads of beaches. Inchydoney and red strand the nicest but also the warren is very nice. 4 or 5 more in the area. Dunmore house hotel is a great setting (better then the inchadoney hotel as it looks down on the beach) however you need to drive to inchadoney though there is a small little beach called dunneen or dunowen v close to it.

Youghal wouldnt be as picturesque but great for family with kids as it has all the facilities in the town right on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Personally I just love the Barleycove/Crookhaven area and the fact that it is remote makes it even nicer. :) Looking forward to getting back there for a break this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey Cork Girl, do you stay in the caravan park down there then or a house. I am mad to get down there for a week, I stayed in the park before when I was a kid I was just wondering about prices and that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hey Cork Girl, do you stay in the caravan park down there then or a house. I am mad to get down there for a week, I stayed in the park before when I was a kid I was just wondering about prices and that

The last time I rented a house that is part of the hotel - it was fab, great value and you have the hotel beside you if you want to pop in for a drink. Overlooking the beach.. would recommend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 corkipedia

Garretstown is a really clean beach. I have a comprehensive list of the beaches in Cork including a map to see how to get there at http://corkipedia.ie/wiki/Cork_beaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

As an alternative to West Cork (lovely as it is) Ballycotton in east Cork is incredible IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ballycotton isn't a beach really though, Garryvoe would be the closest beach around there. You're right though, Ballycotton is beautiful on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Harbour View, Kilbrittain. and Courtmacsherry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Beware of the dangerous currents in the Barleycove area.

Advertisement