Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access and maintence order

Options
  • 21-05-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all. Myself and my partner are no longer together but still good friends with a newborn of 4 months who we both love. He's agreeable to anything I ask (money & minding him) and I want to get a maintenance and access agreement drawn up by a solicitor to make it water tight encase things ever change down the road. He thinks its a good idea too. can anyone tell me the procedure involved in such a thing and how much it would cost? we don't want to waste court time as were both agreeable, I believe that's only if both parties are not. I will also be getting a will drawn up at the same time not sure if it could be incorporated into that.
    Appreciate any replies. cant find much online.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring a solicitor... it's possible you can get it done for free through mediation if you are both agreeable. Or contact the Free Legal Advice Centre and they can give you an idea of what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Regarding court - here is what my ex partner and i did

The family court thing is really easy and basically consists of going down there after a date has been set. You both walk in together, stand in front of the judge and say - "we've come to an agreement. X for maintenance and Y for access"............the judge utters a sigh of relief as he doesn't have to watch another couple try and dismantle each other and takes the details. You're outta there in 10 minutes....................a few weeks later your access and maintenance order arrives...............it really is very quick and easy. AND FREE

I know you said you didn't want to pursue this route but at least be clear on whats involved before ya write it off :)

Don't what you're location is but access to free maintenance services can take a while in the Dublin area (AFAIK).

Personally i'm very wary of family law solicitors. Free legal aid (in the Dublin area anyway) can take a long time to come through.

Good luck - ye're both in agreement so whatever way ye go i'm sure it'll work out easily enough for ye :)

Advertisement