Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF is going on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We have a mega thread for this. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Any of those people even if caught will be free to do it again next weekend if they please. Isn't it great to live in a country where you hear of scumbags beating up elderly people or raping or murdering someone and on the news it's reported that they have say 81 previous convictions. We are the antithesis of zero tolerance.

Of course, we'll have to listen to the "if you don't like Waterford move" or "you should try to live in Limerick" brigade, who don't think that Waterford is any worse than ever.

By the way, this is why I dont leave my house anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im gonna go live in a tree house. With a sniper rifle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

letsbet wrote: »
    Of course, we'll have to listen to the "if you don't like Waterford move" or "you should try to live in Limerick" brigade, who don't think that Waterford is any worse than ever.

Not as bad as the "I moved away but think the place is a kip/dump/sh!thole even though I'm hardly, if ever, back there' brigade. ;)

There needs to be some serious changes in the way sentencing is carried out in this country. It does seem to be the same people offending (for the most part) in Waterford, what the hell are they doing in that courthouse in there? If I was a Garda and I spent time on a case of a repeat offender, only to see the guy get a slap on the wrist I'd be fuming. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I don't think I'd be able to hack it as a garda, the amount of work that must go into bringing a case against some of these people must be immense. Of course, people who refuse to pay certain charges or allow pylons be put on their land are thrown in jail much quicker. It seems in this country that the best way to avoid going to jail is to rob a small amount of money with a knife or millions with a banker's license.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

We have a mega thread for this. ;-)

sorry,didnt see it,mods can move it to there if they want

sorry,didnt see it,mods can move it to there if they want

we don't really...i was being factitious ;)

just so much happening in the town at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

letsbet wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be able to hack it as a garda, the amount of work that must go into bringing a case against some of these people must be immense. Of course, people who refuse to pay certain charges or allow pylons be put on their land are thrown in jail much quicker. It seems in this country that the best way to avoid going to jail is to rob a small amount of money with a knife or millions with a banker's license.

As I posted on another thread it's usually the same group of people that are committing the crimes. When they get caught, they either get a fine (which they won't pay) or get a very short prison sentence.

These criminals, in particular the violent ones, need to be locked up for a very long time. I would go as far as saying bring in three strikes and you're out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

"Another serious incident took place on Saturday night at 11.30pm, when a man was threatened with a large carving knife while at the Bank of Ireland ATM on Parnell Street."

Won't be using that ATM ever again. If I ever saw the headline "Two Gardai beat thief into coma", I'd expect a parade for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm going to sell my car and buy some rifles. Then I'm going to sell my rifles and buy crossbows.
    Well I'll probably keep a couple of rifles, but I'm definitely buying crossbows. And rope and duct tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I'm of a nervous disposition at the best of times, it's not very reassuring to hear of these things happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Body of man discovered in derelict building in New Street in Waterford. Scene preserved for technical examination.
    (wlr fm)

blaa85 wrote: »
    "Another serious incident took place on Saturday night at 11.30pm, when a man was threatened with a large carving knife while at the Bank of Ireland ATM on Parnell Street."

Won't be using that ATM ever again. If I ever saw the headline "Two Gardai beat thief into coma", I'd expect a parade for them.
    beazee wrote: »
    (wlr fm)

Oh FFS, it's actually getting ridiculous now. As we know petty crime naturally rises in times of recession, but a lot of these are far from 'petty' and actually quite scary. Why all of it in a small timeframe is what I'm wondering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

everyone should get pepper spray, i got it for my girlfrind a year ago and was thinking about getting one my self or one them night sticks the cops have that you can buy over the internet, or walk around with a hurley 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Got robbed outside the chipper in ferrybank about 2 months ago now sick of this place, what's the legal standing on pepper spray ?, tempted to get a stun gun even..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well whether people like it or not, Waterford is definitely getting a bad rep 'abroad' as it were. Was at a wedding in Wexford over the weekend and a conversation arose in relation to how rough and dodgy it's become down here.

I suppose I'll get the usual 'no worse than anywhere else' comments but whether it is or isn't any worse, there is definitely a growing perception issue growing that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Overdose id guess

• Advertisement

Possibly. That's the street by the old news and star offices. Are one of those houses abandoned? Or is there another disused building near by (apart from the old bottling place)

Couple of tweets from good old DT
    Damien Tiernan ‏@damienrte
    he may have fallen from the roof of the building or may be the victim of assault, post mortem examination should determine
    Damien Tiernan ‏@damienrte
    man who died in suspicious incident at old WIT building at top of New Street in Waterford is from waterford am told

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Old WIT/FAS place at the top of the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Was just about to post it myself. Been in that building a few times over the years, kinda scary to see that happening now..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

what's the legal standing on pepper spray ?, tempted to get a stun gun even..

Pepper spray, stun guns and "night sticks"/batons/asps all illegal

Let's not turn this into another argument about who likes / dislikes Waterford and why, most times there's not not even logical reasoning only personal opinion so leave it at that.

What I would say is there has been a big drug problem in town the last few years and it seems to be escalating IMO. If indeed this body turns out to be the cause of an OD it's a sad example. Thoughts are with the young mans family.

Edit: Just saw Damien Tiernans tweets. Very sad, hopefully (and it's little consolation) he wasn't the victim of a terrible assault.

d3exile wrote: »

Is there anything legal besides a Hurley that one could carry for protection? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

d3exile wrote: »

What if the pepper spray was to find it's way into the suir ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

from the journal.ie

Man’s body found in Waterford city

GARDAÍ ARE INVESTIGATING the circumstances surrounding the death of a man whose body was discovered in Waterford city this evening.
    The man’s remains were found at a disused building on New Street at around 6pm. He was aged in his 20s.
    The scene has been sealed off pending a full forensic examination and the State Pathologist has been notified.
    Gardaí are appealing to anyone with any information regarding the incident to contact Waterford Garda Station on 051 305300, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was actually up in Tesco buying the paper earlier last week when I saw the headline on the front.

Beside me were two female Gardai standing flicking through every magazine on the shelf. I should have showed them the article and asked them what they were doing to address the issue.

Advertisement