Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are TT bikes worth it ?

• 21-05-2012 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

I have a nice road bike but a lot in my club seem to have both road and TT.

Is there an advantage to them ?

Or they a disadvantage on a hilly course ?

What's the best option ( on cycle to work ) for about 2,300 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have a nice road bike but a lot in my club seem to have both road and TT.

Is there an advantage to them ?
    Yes, massive
    Or they a disadvantage on a hilly course ?
    Not always
    What's the best option ( on cycle to work ) for about 2,300 ?????

Piece of string, mainly fit. Just be careful where you shop. Some places sell you what they have and not what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Yes, massive

Not always

Piece of string, mainly fit. Just be careful where you shop. Some places sell you what they have and not what you need.

Cyrptic:D

I have a Focus Kayo with 105 and am looking at a Felt B16 as a TT but i'be been told they aren't great on hills and my main race for this year is the Lost Sheep ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I have a Focus Kayo with 105 and am looking at a Felt B16 as a TT but i'be been told they aren't great on hills and my main race for this year is the Lost Sheep ?

I did the Lost Sheep last year on a TT bike. Now my TT bike is much lighter than my road bike so that may not be a good comparison. However, I'm pretty sure all of the top 30 (at least) on the day used TT bikes. Read into that what you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I used a tt bike on UKIM and that had plenty of climbing at +2200mtrs so there should be no issues there.
    Have a look at some of the reviews around, get your short list and then try them on (were possible) and see what fits best.

I did the Lost Sheep last year on a TT bike. Now my TT bike is much lighter than my road bike so that may not be a good comparison. However, I'm pretty sure all of the top 30 (at least) on the day used TT bikes. Read into that what you want...

Well the TT would be roughy 1k heavier than my road bike...........but my own weight is a bigger issue:D

• Advertisement

I used a tt bike on UKIM and that had plenty of climbing at +2200mtrs so there should be no issues there.
    Have a look at some of the reviews around, get your short list and then try them on (were possible) and see what fits best.

I have to shop somewhere on the list from work which doesn't help and i have a budget of about 2300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The Planet X bikes seem to score highly in reviews and are well specced at just below your budget ~2k

Palnet X Ireland are in Athlone and I know people have been able to purchase through ride to work. For me it was just a case of getting an invoice off any bike shop in Ireland and then that was approved.

The Planet X bikes seem to score highly in reviews and are well specced at just below your budget ~2k

Palnet X Ireland are in Athlone and I know people have been able to purchase through ride to work. For me it was just a case of getting an invoice off any bike shop in Ireland and then that was approved.

I know a few people in my club who bought them and wouldn't buy again. Weren't happy with the build quality, i'd have to ask them.

I found a Focus TT but not everywhere stocks them so i'm trying to find out if one of the shops i'm looking at does as i like the feel of my road bike.

I have 105 of the Road so i'd like Ultegra on the TT if possible.

Yeah but you did a fvcking terrible time on the bike in the UK.

Why a Felt B16?

A TT bike is fine on uphills, not as fine on downhills. Kenmare isn't that hilly to be honest.

The problem IMHO in kenmare arethe descents, the switchbacks are a killer.

Would agree with this.

I'm not a huge fan of PX. Alot of dedicated followers though.
    I know a few people in my club who bought them and wouldn't buy again. Weren't happy with the build quality, i'd have to ask them.

I found a Focus TT but not everywhere stocks them so i'm trying to find out if one of the shops i'm looking at does as i like the feel of my road bike.

I have 105 of the Road so i'd like Ultegra on the TT if possible.

Right lets look at this Felt B16 and Ultegra.
    Remember that the expensive bits of a groupset are the cranks and shifters.

Firstly its TT bike so the shifters are not going to be the expensive Ultegra Flightdeck.

Oh look the chainset isn't ultegra, its an entry level FSA one.

But at least the brakes are ultegra right???? Oh wait no. own brand ones.

But the hubs at least they are ultegra?? Oh wait......

But at least the chain and cassette are ultrega??? Oh wait..........

The only ultegra on the Felts are the derailleurs, oldest trick in the book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well the TT would be roughy 1k heavier than my road bike...........but my own weight is a bigger issue:D

Plenty of reasons to get a TT rig, but I'd have weight at the bottom of my selection criteria - unless you are at the sharp end, losing a few KG off the jockey is a lot cheaper with more all round benefit.

Why a Felt B16?

A TT bike is fine on uphills, not as fine on downhills. Kenmare isn't that hilly to be honest.

Would agree with this.

I'm not a huge fan of PX. Alot of dedicated followers though.

Right lets look at this Felt B16 and Ultegra.
    Remember that the expensive bits of a groupset are the cranks and shifters.

Firstly its TT bike so the shifters are not going to be the expensive Ultegra Flightdeck.

Oh look the chainset isn't ultegra, its an entry level FSA one.

But at least the brakes are ultegra right???? Oh wait no. own brand ones.

But the hubs at least they are ultegra?? Oh wait......

But at least the chain and cassette are ultrega??? Oh wait..........

The only ultegra on the Felts are the derailleurs, oldest trick in the book

Cheers,

What would look at for around 2k ?

I see what you mean re decents !

Carbon or aliminium ?

Izoard wrote: »
    Plenty of reasons to get a TT rig, but I'd have weight at the bottom of my selection criteria - unless you are at the sharp end, losing a few KG off the jockey is a lot cheaper with more all round benefit.

I'm doing it !

Am i correct that the legs can be fresher coming off a TT compared to a road ?

Cheers,

What would look at for around 2k ?

I see what you mean re decents !

Carbon or aliminium ?

For a road bike there is an argument to be made. However for TT rigs - you can mould the carbon lay-up to be what you want. Alu - well you gotta start with a tube and then deform it. Carbon for TT. But that does depend on budget.

Second hand for TTs is a good market. TT bikes are usually always in much better condition than second hand road bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

What do you want the TT bike for, to help you go faster or to look good :D

Seriously, try and get a ride on a some clubmate's bikes and see how different they feel. Don't rush into it, €2k+ is a lot of dough to be sinking into a bike. Don't base your selection on one race. Will you keep the TT bike for racing or will you do all of your training on it? Your road bike is already a nice machine. As Tunney suggest look at the bike specs closely. FWIW my TT bike is mostly 105 with a bit of ultegra and I've ridden full ultegra and dura ace and tbh I can't tell the difference.

Oh and make sure you get hubs that 'click' when you freewheel :D

For a road bike there is an argument to be made. However for TT rigs - you can mould the carbon lay-up to be what you want. Alu - well you gotta start with a tube and then deform it. Carbon for TT. But that does depend on budget.

Second hand for TTs is a good market. TT bikes are usually always in much better condition than second hand road bikes.

Second hand isn't an option with the cycle to work:(

The B16 i'm looking at actually has 105 on it but its carbon............

I'd agree with this. Damn near came a cropper.

griffin100 wrote: »
    What do you want the TT bike for, to help you go faster or to look good :D

Seriously, try and get a ride on a some clubmate's bikes and see how different they feel. Don't rush into it, €2k+ is a lot of dough to be sinking into a bike. Don't base your selection on one race. Will you keep the TT bike for racing or will you do all of your training on it? Your road bike is already a nice machine. As Tunney suggest look at the bike specs closely. FWIW my TT bike is mostly 105 with a bit of ultegra and I've ridden full ultegra and dura ace and tbh I can't tell the difference.

Oh and make sure you get hubs that 'click' when you freewheel :D

As i said, speed and legs coming off the bike ( is that a myrth ?? )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Second hand isn't an option with the cycle to work:(

The B16 i'm looking at actually has 105 on it but its carbon............

This may be of no use, but the Bike Hub in Howth have/had a B16 recently reduced to €1,500. Have seen it there a couple of times. Pretty, pretty bike IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

Sounds like you might have already talked yourself into this one so if you feel you really need a TT bike go right ahead my question would be how much time you think you are going to get back.

I would map a 40km course stick in a couple of climbs and do it on your existing bike timed then if possible borrow a TT bike from clubmate that you can roughly adjust for yourself and see how much quicker if at all you are on the TT bike.

Then you can at least make a moderately scientific decision. Now I know if the environmental factors are different it is not exactly like for like but close enough.

Other questions.

How much do you weight and if over 12 stone would lipo be cheaper?

Have you ever had your bike properly setup for you?

Do you really think a groupset will make that much difference to you?

• Advertisement

Don't be such a d1ck to the guy ffs.

Sounds like you might have already talked yourself into this one so if you feel you really need a TT bike go right ahead my question would be how much time you think you are going to get back.

I would map a 40km course stick in a couple of climbs and do it on your existing bike timed then if possible borrow a TT bike from clubmate that you can roughly adjust for yourself and see how much quicker if at all you are on the TT bike.

Then you can at least make a moderately scientific decision. Now I know if the environmental factors are different it is not exactly like for like but close enough.

Other questions.

Have you ever had your bike properly setup for you?

Do you really think a groupset will make that much difference to you?

Lipo, no as the weight goes straight back on.........

Yes i've had my bike set up properly

No idea about the groupset, thats why i'm asking.

I'm not 100% sold on getting one, thus the questions on reasons to have one over the road bike.

Don't be such a d1ck to the guy ffs.

No skin off my fat nose:D

I feel i need lipo like he needs personality transplant............alas only one is available;)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-b16-2012/

B16 appears to come with front and rear ultegra derailleur but the the fsa cranks are pretty sh1t on it along with chainrings. Box wheels are also sh1t. Not sure on shifters.

B16 appears to come with front and rear ultegra derailleur but the the fsa cranks are pretty sh1t on it along with chainrings. Box wheels are also sh1t. Not sure on shifters.

Thanks, see i know little or nothing about this so good to hear advice like that.

The guy in the shop is going to have a search for me with a budget of 2300 so i'll see what he says when i pop in on wen.

For start I have no idea what size Elvis comes in but the point I am trying make probably not to much finesse is that I wouldnt think there is any point in spending 2.5k on a TT bike for a time advantage if you could just get that some other place else easier.

Try the road test and if you come in much quicker over the forty k then you can make your decision based on that.

For start I have no idea what size Elvis comes in but the point I am trying make probably not to much finesse is that I wouldnt think there is any point in spending 2.5k on a TT bike for a time advantage if you could just get that some other place else easier.

Try the road test and if you come in much quicker over the forty k then you can make your decision based on that.

Cheers !

Still looking for someone to advise me if legs feel fresher when you get off the bike If its TT ?

Oh and I was 18 stone, now just below 16 and intend to be close to 14 for Lost Sheep.

The reason for the legs supposedly being fresher is that triathlon TT bikes are designed with different frame geometry to road bikes essentially they should allow a rider use the leg muscles differently in order to have more in them for the run.

Now whether that works for everyone depends very much on your setup

http://cycnut.com/forums/topic/2302-frame-geometry-road-vs-triathlon-vs-time-trial/

The reason for the legs supposedly being fresher is that triathlon TT bikes are designed with different frame geometry to road bikes essentially they should allow a rider use the leg muscles differently in order to have more in them for the run.

http://cycnut.com/forums/topic/2302-frame-geometry-road-vs-triathlon-vs-time-trial/

Thanks,

It's something I've been told by a few club members who bought them and did see a difference in the legs after the bike.

Re weight, I've been blessed with build of a rugby player and not a runner/triathlete so any advantage I can get I'll take and of the 3 the cycle is my strongest.

• Advertisement

The reason for the legs supposedly being fresher is that TT bikes are designed with different frame geometry to road bikes essentially they should allow a rider use the leg muscles differently in order to have more in them for the run.

Not quite........

The UCI dictate what a TT position can be. Thats the reason for the difference. Nothing to do with having the legs ready for the run.

The reason for the legs supposedly being fresher is that TT bikes are designed with different frame geometry to road bikes essentially they should allow a rider use the leg muscles differently in order to have more in them for the run.

Not quite........

The UCI dictate what a TT position can be. Thats the reason for the difference. Nothing to do with having the legs ready for the run.

As Denzel would say, explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you want fresher legs off the bike, bike more.

If you want to get a better aero position on the bike, buy a TT setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

A TT bike is only worth it if your times dramatically improve, no? And does it depend on the tri distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

thats the bike of the current female Ironman record holder .......
    so good enough for an 9.15 IM ( ok not the wheels ) but apart from that the stock b16

felt is longish and low and that means you can ride quite and agressive positon
    or you can have 10 cm of spacers ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'll weigh in my experience.

TT bike was worth around 1.5-2 mins for me over Olympic distance.
    That's give or take, and hard to measure but a reasonable estimate based on my checks.

Defo more comfortable, enables more power and returns it in faster splits obviously.

So, is 2mins worth the cost of a TT bike?

That depends on your ambitions and plans, as well as your budget and interest.

For me, a tt bike wasn't going to make a whole lot of difference regarding finishing 80th, 40th or 25th or whatever, but I had the interest and knew I was going to get the use of it.

Simply if you want one and can afford one then go for it.

I got lucky with a second hand one in mint condition and a good price as well as fit obviously. Drove myself mad looking for a good while though. :)

Fit is defo most important as said, but I wouldn't be restricted to bike scheme if it's financially viable to purchase up front.

I know there's a new Felt B2 Pro going for an absolute bargain if you're 5'8 to 6'0.
    http://www.forum.pulsetri.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1910

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    thats the bike of the current IRISH female Ironman record holder .......
    so good enough for an 9.15 IM ( ok not the wheels ) but apart from that the stock b16

Isn't Chrissie the current female ironman record holder?

Edit just copped you meant Irish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

i recently bought a felt s22 tt bike and find it more comfortable in the the aero position than the clip ons on the road bike. I also find it easier to get the power down as well...best thing to do is road test a tt and be sure that its for you

Daz1214 wrote: »
    i recently bought a felt s22 tt bike and find it more comfortable in the the aero position than the clip ons on the road bike. I also find it easier to get the power down as well...best thing to do is road test a tt and be sure that its for you

I'm going to try them on wen when i'm in the shop.

Also looking at this, feedback would be great

http://www.isport.ie/index.php/en/component/virtuemart/details/494/5/tt/tri-bikes/focus-chrono-3.0-2012-carbon-red

This is the only shop i can find that stocks it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

If you can find a nice second hand frame, a few shops will allow you to purchase the accessories (wheels, groupset etc) as part of the b2w scheme.

following this thread as I may purchase one for next season.

thats the bike of the current female Ironman record holder .......

Thats great but in all honesty most here are

(a) not bound by the budget constraints of a neo-pro triathlete.
    (b) not able to maintain power production in an uber low and narrow position. Lower is not always faster (as you know).

• Advertisement

Thats great but in all honesty most here are

(a) not bound by the budget constraints of a neo-pro triathlete.
    (b) not able to maintain power production in an uber low and narrow position. Lower is not always faster (as you know).

I guess you are aware that joyce runs two quite successful physio clinics in the cork area and triathlon is her hobby.

She is just more rational than most people.Its not that she could not afford a more expensive bike, she just uses her budged wiser than most. She knows what makes her fast and whats of secondary importance.

As i always say its much better to have a cheaper bike that fits than an expensive bike that dosnt fit.......
    b/ did I not say or you have 10cm of spacers ;-)
    I think there is a big market for Aero carbon spacers out there in Ireland, as people shop for brands and not bikes that fit.

I guess you are aware that joyce runs two quite successful physio clinics in the cork area and triathlon is her hobby.

Obviously not, my respect for her has gone up now then.
    She is just more rational than most people.Its not that she could not afford a more expensive bike, she just uses her budged wiser than most. She knows what makes her fast and whats of secondary importance.

Her bike is still newer and more expensive than mine :)
    As i always say its much better to have a cheaper bike that fits than an expensive bike that dosnt fit.......
    b/ did I not say or you have 10cm of spacers ;-)
    I think there is a big market for Aero carbon spacers out there in Ireland, as people shop for brands and not bikes that fit.

Agreed. Fit first. Everything else after.

Obviously not, my respect for her has gone up now then.

Her bike is still newer and more expensive than mine :)

Agreed. Fit first. Everything else after.

Some great points there guys, thanks.

going to call you out on this one peter.

Who is her bike sponsor? And what bike did they give her.

Now tell me again how she use rational to pick her bike please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This is an excellent point to bear when researching any gear. I have, like most other examined images or clips of what the Pros ride, wear, eat etc.... Yes they using what works for them but they are also keeping sponsors happy. They swap gear as often as the sponsors come and go.

In the end of the day it still boils down to who has the biggest engine and biggest desire to suffer. Aesthetics would rank a whole lot lower on your wishlist if you had to race for your dinner...

Sounds like rational budgeting :):D

thats a v rational decision to take a bike that is simple but good.....
    as it is a bike that fits.......
    Her bike sponsor is a friendly tri club, trisports in connamara and she earned that bike as she learned how to drink from cups ;-)
    And before she took it she inquired if that bike would suit her.

So first you said your bike was cheaper and I thought I let you get away so you are happy ;-0 as I was to reply newer yes, cheaper I dodnt think...
    but the fact you you claim your bike was cheaper indicates some sponsorship deal as well, dosnt it ?

Anyway fact is that a bike that has an official resale value of 1700 euro with spiced up with wheels (not sponsored) is enough to be seriously fast.
    somebody said the crank set of this bike was not good enough .....thats why I mentioned the fact that this bike is defo a very solid bike.and I would struggle to find many new bikes that you can buy in ireland that have a better value for money ( there was a giant that was better value in 2010 but than giant increased the price massively and I would say deservedly. (the bike that Stephen Early rides)

ps your powermeter is more expensive than the b16

ps i am sure Bmcs or matt Ms bikes and wheels would have given her a faster bike split by about 4-5 min in austria last year , but then on the other hand the bike course was short by about 6 min so she can say I did a legitimate sub 5 bike split .....

ps i am sure Bmcs or matt Ms bikes and wheels would have given her a faster bike split by about 4-5 min in austria last year .

I find that difficult to believe. It would be like Jackyback trying to ride my bike. Wouldn't be anywhere near the pedals!! :D

I'm bored:rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement