Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are TT bikes worth it ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Fazz wrote: »
    Simply if you want one and can afford one then go for it.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    ps i am sure Bmcs or matt Ms bikes and wheels would have given her a faster bike split by about 4-5 min in austria last year , but then on the other hand the bike course was short by about 6 min so she can say I did a legitimate sub 5 bike split .....

6 minutes or 6km. The latter I think.

Never mind that in 2011 the run was shorter to 40km.

Are those records valid Ironman records? probably
    Are they valid ironman-distance records? .............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What TT bike do you race on yourself Peter?

mloc123 wrote: »
    What TT bike do you race on yourself Peter?

Peter no longer races.

When he did, he raced on a Cervelo P2 (aluminium, red and white I believe)

thats a v rational decision to take a bike that is simple but good.....
    as it is a bike that fits.......
    Her bike sponsor is a friendly tri club, trisports in connamara and she earned that bike as she learned how to drink from cups ;-)
    And before she took it she inquired if that bike would suit her.

I'm glad she was given a bike. However there is a difference between choosing and accepting.
    So first you said your bike was cheaper and I thought I let you get away so you are happy ;-0 as I was to reply newer yes, cheaper I dodnt think...

I have a humble P2C. A good few years old but well maintained.
    but the fact you you claim your bike was cheaper indicates some sponsorship deal as well, dosnt it ?

Nope, never sponsored. Offered once, turned it down.
    Anyway fact is that a bike that has an official resale value of 1700 euro with spiced up with wheels (not sponsored) is enough to be seriously fast.

Agreed, my road bike was used by another athlete to win races - beat top end Cervelos, Treks and Felts. Its the engine that matters. However the chassis can help.
    somebody said the crank set of this bike was not good enough
    Nope. I said the crank was not very good. Different too good enough. The bike was being billed as an Ultegra equipped bike. I pointed out that it wasn't, that it was equipped with inferior parts.

.....thats why I mentioned the fact that this bike is defo a very solid bike.and I would struggle to find many new bikes that you can buy in ireland that have a better value for money (

Is that a comment on the bikes available? Or on the pricing of the shops?
    there was a giant that was better value in 2010 but than giant increased the price massively and I would say deservedly. (the bike that Stephen Early rides)

Who is Stephen Early and why would I care what he rides?
    ps your powermeter is more expensive than the b16

Nope. A wired Durace SRM purchased today would be less than a B16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thoughts on this good people

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/d-6-302

The seat tube angle is 76. 78 or 80 would be more recommended than 76 for tri

However I am sure Peter coaches someone who rides fantastically on a 53.76 degree seat tube angled bike. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Her bike sponsor is a friendly tri club, trisports in connamara and she earned that bike as she learned how to drink from cups ;-)
    And before she took it she inquired if that bike would suit her.

Like the most of ye I'm bored +1.
    If any of ye need to learn how to drink from a cup, google 2 girls and a cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    The seat tube angle is 76. 78 or 80 would be more recommended than 76 for tri

However I am sure Peter coaches someone who rides fantastically on a 53.76 degree seat tube angled bike. :)

ok Iam out of here as I dont have time to argue for the arguements sake.

last 2 things for the OP
    your above fuji bike ( is some of the best bikes I have seen for females that are strong in their glutemus maximus and therefore want to sit more backwards or do not want to sit too much forward ( v short top tube- not too low not too high at least 2010 11 version)
    I have no idea how fast it is as I have never seen wind tunnel data
    but from eyeball aero it has to be good and I love the way they designed the rear brake.
    a great bike if you have long legs strong glutes, shortish upper body

and yes I agree 76 is not the optimun angle for tri bikes ( it works for many but sometimes you get to your limits. the cannondale slice falls in the same category. so for people like myself that ride 80 degree the fuji and slice would not work.
    ridley is usually the same, if i remember correctly
    generally european companies tend to lean towards a lied back angle ie 76 as they are more road bike time trial focused ie more slack ( but thats defo changing in the last 3-4 years)

my last tip first find out what body type you are before you bring up more bikes as I have a slight suspicion that so far non of the bikes you have shown will fit you. and with 16 stones you want to make sure to get slighly shorter cranks for your bike and most likley a bike that allowes you to go forward (ie 78 degree) and is high in the front.
    ie a head tube thats about 15 cm high and a bike that has bars that go high up ( see the bar in beauty bikes thread of the quintana roo something like that )

and if you ever meet me buy me a glass of wine ...

myself I have a 2004 Cervelo p3 9 speed aluminium and I have not had a sleepless night that Iam disadvantaged with that bike.ok I havent even used it for a long time but I would still use it in racing . (i bought it second hand for 1300 euro as there is a limit I would spend on a bike.
    I think its the only time trial bike that has been used for cyclo camping trips in the alps ;-)

my work bike and car is a 50 euro concorde steel bike that fernando from fit for bike kindly sold me at this amazing price, as he wanted to get rid of it (obviously he knows nothing about bikes ;-) ;-) , with ultegra 9 speed parts and mudguards and pretty much indestructible. and I love that thing to bits as she is low maintenance.

• Advertisement

ok Iam out of here as I dont have time to argue for the arguements sake.

Ah Peter when did you get sensitive??? It was just a little slag :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I bought a B16 earlier in the year. I think it's a savage machine. Maybe it's a combination of better fitness, more focused training, weight loss and placebo but it felt like going from a Skoda to a Porsche.

It's not the best bike out there and after reading the reviews of some people it's a crock of ****e basically, but it's all the bike I'll ever need and no doubt all the bike you'll ever need.

Good job with the weight loss, I was in the same boat, I went from over 18 stone 2years ago to under 13 stone now. It's a hard road but treat yourself to the bike and drive on.

Went looking today and tried the B16, Focus Chrono and Fuji D6 3.0

I went for the D6 in the end as it felt the best. I need to go down 1cm in frame size to suit me better. Nice stiff frame and lovely feel on the road.

Roll on the middle of june when it when be in my hands:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

well wear with it mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

Where did u go for it

[/B]
    Went looking today and tried the B16, Focus Chrono and Fuji D6 3.0

I went for the D6 in the end as it felt the best. I need to go down 1cm in frame size to suit me better. Nice stiff frame and lovely feel on the road.

Roll on the middle of june when it when be in my hands:)

nutzzz123 wrote: »
    Where did u go for it

[/B]

Tri and Run in Mullingar, Alan was a pleasure to deal with and spent ages going through everything on all the bikes and even gave cheaper options so trying to get me to spend more wasn't an issue !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement