Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography-Bullet points or paragraph form?

• 21-05-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

For the 20/30 markers, will you do them in bullet points or just as an essay? Ive heard bullet points make it easier for the examiner to see SRPs, but Ive heard from others that examiners hate them.

Bullet points or paragraphs? 6 votes

Bullet points
    0% 0 votes
    Paragraph/essay type
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Never thought of doing bullet points, sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I do it in bullet points. My teacher is an examiner and hes kind of stingy with marks but ever since I started doing bullet points I've gotten way more marks. No harm in it, and he even says you can do the option section in bullet points but eh, I'd do that one in paragraph form to be safe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Bullet points every single time. Never use the essay style for the 30 markers. I did the 30 markers in my mock in bullet points and got full marks in all of them. If you do the essay style then the examiner is more likely to miss out on SRP while with bullet each SRP stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I was told by my teacher not to do bullet points at the start of 5th year, ever since then I do an essay form.

Why not though? The only possible reason is the possibility that they'd reintroduce OC marks in every section, but that'd be really unfair and I cant even tell what coherence has to do with spreading out your answer. :rolleyes: It helps you to count how much you've done and you'll know if you need a few more SRPs or not. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Why not though? The only possible reason is the possibility that they'd reintroduce OC marks in every section, but that'd be really unfair and I cant even tell what coherence has to do with spreading out your answer. :rolleyes: It helps you to count how much you've done and you'll know if you need a few more SRPs or not. :D

That's what I tought too...easier to count SRPS, but I aint gonna change my ways now.....I rarely count SRPS anyway I just write whatever I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I would do bullet points but I do paragraphs. Both of the geography teachers I've had have said not to use bullet points that were supposed to write it into paragraphs as it reads better for the examiners :s.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

I was told to always do essay/paragraph style, and if I was writing bullet points I probably wouldn't even know if a certain point was a full SRP or not so Im sticking with paragraphs I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm not the best person at knowing what an actual SRP is so I stick with essay style and get out as much info that's in my head.

An SRP is a new, relevant piece of information, a diagram, a statistic or even some named examples as far as I know. If you wrote two halves of an SRP I think youd still get the marks. I just look at bullet points as a bit of a "Hey, I think this is an SRP, hint!" :P

• Advertisement

An SRP is a new, relevant piece of information, a diagram, a statistic or even some named examples as far as I know. If you wrote two halves of an SRP I think youd still get the marks. I just look at bullet points as a bit of a "Hey, I think this is an SRP, hint!" :P

In tests I've done I'd have a paragraph wrote and there's be several pieces of factual information and it'd get one mark. I can write quicker in essay style and it's worked for me so far (compulsary I got an A1 in the mocks comment)

M&S* wrote: »
    In tests I've done I'd have a paragraph wrote and there's be several pieces of factual information and it'd get one mark. I can write quicker in essay style and it's worked for me so far (compulsary I got an A1 in the mocks comment)
    1 mark? But an srp is 2, how can you get 1? :L I can write quicker in bullets I think, it helps me spread my thoughts better :D I got a B1 in my mock but my teacher is a stingy marker and didnt give me OC on my atmosphere-ocean question, so watch out wifey, I'll show you in June. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I put the srp's in bullet points while I am learning them but in the two sets of mocks I have done I did paragraph form.

1 mark? But an srp is 2, how can you get 1? :L I can write quicker in bullets I think, it helps me spread my thoughts better :D I got a B1 in my mock but my teacher is a stingy marker and didnt give me OC on my atmosphere-ocean question, so watch out wifey, I'll show you in June. :cool:

I meant 1 srp sorry, my teacher ticks everything that he counts as an SRP, my bad!
    Oh and bring it on! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

So does it actually matter which one you do? Will you lose marks if you do one, or is it just based on preference? I usually always do bullet points, but would I lose marks in an exam if I used them?

I really, really, really doubt you'd lose marks. Personally I'm going to do them and I think a lot of my friends will too. The most you would have lost when they did have OC marks in 2006 was 2 marks, and even then I'm not entirely sure if you'd have lost them or not...

Go for it is my advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

I really, really, really doubt you'd lose marks. Personally I'm going to do them and I think a lot of my friends will too. The most you would have lost when they did have OC marks in 2006 was 2 marks, and even then I'm not entirely sure if you'd have lost them or not...

Go for it is my advice. :)

Thanks. Think I'll do 20/30 markers in bullet points and the option in paragraphs:)

Me too, best way to do it! :)

Advertisement