Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My blog about living in Japan

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I've been living in Osaka for 8 weeks now, thoroughly enjoying it (if I didn't have to go to work, it would be 100% brilliant) and to my surprise, not experiencing any culture-shock at all.

I've been keeping a blog (when I have time, which is mostly at weekends) about Japan and what it's like to live here. It's not about "big" stuff - the idea is that each post is about some small detail and maybe eventually it builds up into a picture of life here.

It's mainly for friends and family back home in Ireland so that I can share my thoughts and my photos, but it occurred to me that some people here might be interested too, so please feel free to drop by. No ads, nothing commercial, just my words and photos.

awordfromjapan.wordpress.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

I've lived in 大阪 for more that ten years and have witnessed quite a few changes before I moved on up to Tokyo . I have a keen interest in Murphy's Irish Bar .

The old Pig & Whistle was the number one place for the expat community before it sadly had to close down , Just wondering how Murphy's are doing in Shinsaibashi and the big question ! How many Irish have even found the place ?.

Some photos of the place and area would be great for you to upload here and throw in a little Osaka ben comments with them.

Ookini .......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

hibby wrote: »
    it occurred to me that some people here might be interested too

I just spent the last 30mins mooching through it.
    Thanks, an interesting read from someone living there.
    You say that you're not experiencing any culture shock, it must help immensely to have a Japanese partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Freefaller

Hi, I do check in to boards from time to time :-) (long time lurker) and I thought this thread was very good especially the posters blog. I'm going to Japan in mid July/mid August. August depending on getting the 'working humanities visa' and July depending 'on working holiday.' Is there a good Irish social network in Kyoto/Kobe/Kansai? (I know they are very distinct places in their own right)

I know as the poster mentioned their are irish pubs, but on the whole is their one or two in say Kyoto for example or a few more then that? where you go to keep in contact with Irish people? Are there any other ex pat networks?

Perhaps their would be someone who would be interested in being a travel buddy, to Japan if they are going in July/August.

Can't wait to go to Japan by the way. Your blog is great and the white cat is so cute :)

Anyway, Chat again

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Thanks a million for the compliments on my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know if there is an Irish expatriate network. I know of quite a few Irish people who are living in Japan but I never meet them. I imagine they are quite spread out across the country and mostly all getting on with their own lives.

As for Irish pubs, I'm not really knowledgable but I doubt if there are more than one or two in any given city. Where I live is pretty much 100% Japanese except me.
    Freefaller wrote: »
    Can't wait to go to Japan by the way. Your blog is great and the white cat is so cute :)

When I go home I'll tell my dog you called him a cat!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Great blog, fascinating read. When I eventually visit I'll look you up haha!

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I just spent the last 30mins mooching through it.
    Thanks, an interesting read from someone living there.
    You say that you're not experiencing any culture shock, it must help immensely to have a Japanese partner.

Of course you are right. Without my wife's help I would not have been able to manage to rent a house, to get electricity and gas and a mobile phone, to get a driving licence and a car... I imagine getting a bank account would be very difficult, but fortunately my wife already had one.

Everything involves so much paperwork and bureaucracy, everything works on the assumption that you are Japanese. Even if you speak Japanese really well (which I don't - yet) it can be quite a battle.

If I were trying to do all this on my own, the obstacles would be overwhelming.

But, setting aside all the "official" stuff, everyday life is basically similar to at home in Ireland. Get up, walk the dogs, have breakfast, commute to work, work, commute home, have dinner, study, walk the dogs, sleep.

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I've lived in 大阪 for more that ten years and have witnessed quite a few changes before I moved on up to Tokyo . I have a keen interest in Murphy's Irish Bar .

The old Pig & Whistle was the number one place for the expat community before it sadly had to close down , Just wondering how Murphy's are doing in Shinsaibashi and the big question ! How many Irish have even found the place ?.

Some photos of the place and area would be great for you to upload here and throw in a little Osaka ben comments with them.

Ookini .......

Hi shindig.jp, I didn't realise you're an Osaka veteran! Maybe you'll be able to answer Freefaller's question about expat networks. I am aware of Murphy's pub, but I haven't been there yet. We're planning to go to a pizza restaurant on Friday evening in Shinsaibashi and might call into Murphy's afterwards to see what it's like. If we do I'll take a few pictures and post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Very informative and interesting. Thanks icon14.gif. :) What is that pun you mentioned you had when you visited an Indian restaurant?

Sindri wrote: »
    Very informative and interesting. Thanks icon14.gif. :) What is that pun you mentioned you had when you visited an Indian restaurant?

Ah, the joke.

So, you go to an Indian restaurant, then when the nan bread arrives you pick it up and with a completely straight face you say "Kore wa nan desu ka?"

Explanation available on request.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Explanation available on request.

Jeez hibby,
    just cough it up will ya!

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Jeez hibby,
    just cough it up will ya!

Well, "kore wa nan desu ka?" means "what's this?" and also means "is this nan (bread)?" That's the joke. Sorry.

A variation on the theme: "ikura" means caviar and also means "how much?" so if you see a jar of caviar on sale in a shop you can pick it up and say "kore wa ikura desu ka?", which can be understood equally well as "how much is this?" and "is this caviar?"

Hi thanks for replying :-)

Well I kind of guessed that might be the situation, no networks for Irish or much of an Irish social scene. Not to worry, i'll happily assume my place among the natives. Trying to listen to as much of the Japanese language as I can, to fight the inevitable sadness for the loss of English, perhaps. Its just good sometimes when your abroad to keep contact with your native Irish once in a while. What is it ha to stay grounded? To shy away from the lost in translation complex :-)

I'm sorry, I just saw a white cat in the Japanese style home, haha . My appologies to your dog. Going to check out more of the blog now from Osaka..

Well, thanks again and just to say, its looking August. Busy, busy getting everything organised. Very important to start right as you mean to go on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

Hi Freefaller,

There are a few irish networks in Japan, im not a member of any of these so cant comment too much , but will stick them up here for your own information, The INJ site in particular seems to have some useful information about living in Japan, also has a directory of Irish pubs, Which you might find useful!

http://www.irish-network-japan.com/en

There is also the Japan GAA, not sure if they are active in Kansai tho..

http://www.japangaa.com/index.html

Ireland Japan Chamber of Commerce
    http://www.ijcc.jp/http://www.ijcc.jp/

Hi Caybar,

Thanks a million, really appreciate the link to the Irish GAA in Japan and the groups of Irish in different regions. All very informative and helpful. I have signed up to the newsletter and I will be sure to check out some of those groups once I arrive :-) Hey you never know, if its possible that I work in Osaka/Kyoto and the posters are interested, we might all meet up in the pig and whistle some night haha :-) Sure its only an hour by train from Kyoto to Osaka.

Thanks again and to the poster of the blog, what breed is your white dog? Chat soon.

We actually have 2 Japanese Spitz dogs, who travelled with us when we moved from Ireland in March (talk about bureaucracy!)

Walking the dogs in the park and in the local area is a very good way of getting chatting with people.

Can I borrow one of them ;-)

I bet you wouldn't part with them for love nor money

They are part of the family!

shindig.jp, we called in to Murphy's for a drink on Friday night. It was fairly quiet, with a laid-back atmosphere. I got quite a shock when my pint of Guinness cost 950 yen! I won't be drinking too many of those! It was a nice pint though, first in two months.

2012-05-25 20.03.44.jpg

2012-05-25 20.04.08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That's pretty standard for a pint unfortunately :(

I have to say aswell.......that looks like a nasty pint :P

EDIT: HAve you seen the vibrator thing they have?

It's just a 350ml can they poor into a glass with no head, then it's placed on a metal plate that vibrates to creat the head.

Extremely Japanese.

They are part of the family!

shindig.jp, we called in to Murphy's for a drink on Friday night. It was fairly quiet, with a laid-back atmosphere. I got quite a shock when my pint of Guinness cost 950 yen! I won't be drinking too many of those! It was a nice pint though, first in two months.

Thanks for the pictures hibby . Did you get to speak to the manager ? I have a little surprise. The Irish manager's sister is married to the Japanese owner of Murphys he's called Miyachi-san .

Miyachi has a Yakisoba Stall in the Peoples Park in Dun Laoghaire so you can mix a little Irish connect into your blog on Japan and Osaka .

Guinness is expensive yes but when you're earning in the local economy it works out just about right. I'm a high roller when out on the town and often drop 40,000 on a good time .The street noodle stall on Midosuji was always a last stop for me before heading for the first train home in the mornings .

funky penguin in Kanazawa

Yep, I've had the half pint shaken Guinness . I first thought that the barman was warming the half pint on a coffee hot plate as i didn't notice the plate vibrate I just watched it come to the boil and was about to tell him he'd got my order wrong.....

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Thanks for the pictures hibby . Did you get to speak to the manager ? I have a little surprise. The Irish manager's sister is married to the Japanese owner of Murphys he's called Miyachi-san .

Miyachi has a Yakisoba Stall in the Peoples Park in Dun Laoghaire so you can mix a little Irish connect into your blog on Japan and Osaka .

I may have another connection - if the manager is a guy called Michael O'Carroll he was in my sister's class in school, and my mother was his teacher.

I'm not sure if it's the same stall but I've bought Japanese food from a stall in the People's Park in Dún Laoghaire. Does the owner Miyachi-san live in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I may have another connection - if the manager is a guy called Michael O'Carroll he was in my sister's class in school, and my mother was his teacher.

I'm not sure if it's the same stall but I've bought Japanese food from a stall in the People's Park in Dún Laoghaire. Does the owner Miyachi-san live in Ireland?

You have connected the dots . Yes he lives in Ireland.

have a good one hibby and looking forward to reading more blogging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Really enjoy reading this, got it bookmarked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Cheers for posting the blog hibby, I LOVE reading about people's experiences in Japan - no matter how big or little!

Looking forward to reading more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

@hibby Thanks for sharing your blog. May I ask in what area do you work and how did you happen to find employment in Japan (Before or when you arrived)? Do you work in a Japanese speaking environment?

I'm asking mainly as my wife (Japanese) and I hope to relocate to Japan in the year or two.

Thanks

Hi thechanger,

I didn't have to find a job in Japan because I was seconded to work here by my Irish employer, so the job was fully arranged before I arrived. Unfortunately that means I am being paid in euros, which aren't worth very much at present!

I am working in a Japanese-speaking environment in a Japanese-speaking company (regional gas supply company). However my own Japanese ability is very much not up to the task of doing useful work in Japanese, so my colleagues are being very helpful and accommodating in working with me in English. For example I will be giving a presentation this afternoon, in English.

Of course I am doing my best to learn but (as you may know) it's not easy!

Sorry that's not very helpful for you. I wish you the best of luck in finding a good job and moving here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hibby that's excellent to hear such accommodation with English! Sometimes the English teachers I work with get frustrated with my lack of Japanese. ENGLISH teachers.

Yeah, my colleagues are very good and I know how lucky I am. I am doing my best to use Japanese for "normal" (i.e. non-work) conversations. But there's just no way I can work in Japanese, not yet anyway.

It looks like the rainy season has just started today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I've been living in Osaka for 8 weeks now, thoroughly enjoying it (if I didn't have to go to work, it would be 100% brilliant) and to my surprise, not experiencing any culture-shock at all.

I've been keeping a blog (when I have time, which is mostly at weekends) about Japan and what it's like to live here. It's not about "big" stuff - the idea is that each post is about some small detail and maybe eventually it builds up into a picture of life here.

It's mainly for friends and family back home in Ireland so that I can share my thoughts and my photos, but it occurred to me that some people here might be interested too, so please feel free to drop by. No ads, nothing commercial, just my words and photos.

awordfromjapan.wordpress.com

I stumbled on this yesterday.what a brilliant read/blog.I'm really enjoying it keep it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Great read Hibby!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I just had my final exam yesterday for a course that was making me very busy, so I will have more time for blogging now.

Advertisement