Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV licence

• 21-05-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

TVlicence inspector called to the door while i wasn't at home. got a note saying they spotted the telly through the window so i have 5 days to pay. letter is only addressed to occupant though. do i have to pay or is it only when you actualy open the door to them theat you are nabbed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Tell him it was a custom fish bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Say it was a picture of a TV for decoration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bin it and forget it. How are they going to get payment out of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bin it

They need a name to issue a summons, something better then the occupant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I live in a duplex, only way to see my tv is from the duplex across the street. I hope they arent post office workers. Well I doubt it, they all drive BMWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The occupant can't be summonsed. Put the letter in the bin and forget about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You could always do the decent thing and pay it. . . .

Come on OP, could you live with the shame :eek:

Pay up, Pat Kenny needs that money to buy a bit of land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Your names not Owner Occupant is it?

If not bin it and dont answer the door for next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I live in a duplex, only way to see my tv is from the duplex across the street. I hope they arent post office workers. Well I doubt it, they all drive BMWs.
    Wow a Duplex, there is a throwback to the Celtic Tiger era if I ever heard one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Write 'Not at this address' on the front and pop it back in the letter box! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Tell them you're not paying until Ryan Tubridy stops interrupting people that are answering questions he asked them.

Me no speaky da inglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Darksaga87 wrote: »

they are public sector workers.... of course they can afford to drive BMW's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Wow a Duplex, there is a throwback to the Celtic Tiger era if I ever heard one.

They still exist....

Yeah but I want one.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in the public sector and none of my six models are BMWs, wouldn't touch the

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seachmall wrote: »
    Tell him it was a custom fish bowl.

That won't work.....they've heard all the excuses and none of them work!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

is there any point in paying the tv license now seeing as we will all be paying this public broadcast service charge soon?>

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Just pay the damn thing FFS.

Somebody has to and it sure as fúck ain't gonna be me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

There was an announcement on the radio this morning that the licence inspectors would be doing the rounds in Co. Laois today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Come on OP, could you live with the shame :eek:

Pay up, Pat Kenny needs that money to buy a bit of land

Won't matter to Pat he will just grab it anyhow and claim squatters rights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It is nearly a year since mine ran out; the amount of letters they have sent me, must come close to the cost of the licence!!

They are just chancing their arm with this.
    First of all they have to take your name to take this any further. Second of all seeing a television is only evidence, they are not permitted to take photos of your premises. So its your word against theirs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Second of all seeing a television is only evidence, they are not permitted to take photos of your premises. So its your word against theirs.

If they can see the tv set from public property (the street) then they can take pictures all they want, its perfectly legal to take a picture of people's houses from the street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

TV licence fees fund Fair City and pay for Pat Kenny to buy bits of elderly couple's gardens, don't pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

TVlicence inspector called to the door while i wasn't at home. got a note saying they spotted the telly through the window so i have 5 days to pay. letter is only addressed to occupant though. do i have to pay or is it only when you actualy open the door to them theat you are nabbed?

Tell him his eyesight's f*cking perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

could've easily just have the tv to only watch dvds or play consoles

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Reply back saying you can live with the shame....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Looking in your window constitutes an illegal search pursuant to the Criminal Evidence Act 1987.* Sue RTE for a million and one euros.

*made up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Was living in a 3rd floor apartment before OP, got same letter about seeing my tv...full of sh¡t, could they actually see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

No idea where to post this other than AH, hopefully i'll get some sensible answers.

So, I am living in an apartment for the last year. Got a letter ages ago to "The Occupant" in relation to there being no TV licence at this address. Ignored it. 2 weeks ago someone was incessantly buzzing my apartment, but I ignored it, wasn't expecting anyone. Today I received a letter, addressed to me, stating there was no TV licence registered in my name at this address and that an inspector will call and that I have 28 days to sort myself out. Also, I am moving out of this apartment at the end of August.

Has anyone else been in this predicament? Did you just reluctantly get a licence? How long before you received any serious letters threatening fines and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think it's fairly safe to assume that you have indeed been stung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

If you've no TV there is no need for concern. If you have a TV you need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Im just wondering where they obtained your name from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with recent thread on same topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Monife wrote: »
    No idea where to post this other than AH, hopefully i'll get some sensible answers.

:D

Been there, done that Monife

You can dodge The Occupant letters for years, you're caught now as they have your name

The inspector will call around
    He will have a letter ready to hand to you or if you ignore him, he'll drop it in your box

You'll get 2 or 3 of these, just reminders

By August you'll get a notice for a registered letter or your postman will come to you

It'll be a summons for District Court, they send them by registered post
    Probably late September/October date
    An Post can race through a few hundred of these a day, from your name called to you out the door takes about 3 minutes

If you show up just buy the licence on the day
    Judge asks what do you want to say and you say "nothing to say Judge"
    You'll get a fine, around €150

If you don't show up the judge takes it as disrespect and get pissed off.

Fine will be at least double, probably more, I'd say €350

Any other questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

How do you mean 'stung'??

Do you have a TV? Do you have a legitimately bought licence? If you have then there's nothing to worry about.

If you have a TV and a dodgy licence that you bought from a dodgy character then yes you have been stung by him.

If you don't have a TV then you can't have been stung by anybody.

lac007 wrote: »
    Im just wondering where they obtained your name from?

Yeah, I wondered about that also. But then I thought, they probably just got my name off a bill or bank statement or other item of post. Sneaky!

Do you have a TV?

Yes.
    Do you have a legitimately bought licence?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Yeah, I wondered about that also. But then I thought, they probably just got my name off a bill or bank statement or other item of post. Sneaky!
    Looks like your postman must be making a few bob in OT from issuing these notice's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Yes.

No.

Then you haven't been stung!!!

Get a licence now before they come back. Don't wait for the Court date or it'll be the equivalent of 3 or 4 licences that you'll be paying for.

It's not a popular law but it is the law unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ever notice how when you buy a new TV in a ..err..TV Shop, they always ask you for your name and address, "for the warranty purposes".
    Pottlers top tip(see, I told you I'm always giving them:D),- if you don't have/want/can't be ar5ed with a TV licence(I have one btw Mr Revenue, Sir:)), LIE.
    Make up a name, fake up an address, Mr Flute Rubbings, 26 Myholesaballoon Avenue, Baheeny, Co Leitrim, or similar. That way the TV shop won't get brownie points from the Licence Collector People when they shop you. They get rewarded with Clubcard points* for every poor soul they sell down the swanney.

*this bit may be a lie, it could be coke and hookers, or free fuel, or some ESB..

Advertisement