Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of ireland Defence Plans

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:35pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

I was waking past college green in dublin where i noiticed that the Bank of Ireland there has a set of cannons.

205855.JPG

Are these cannons loaded? And have they ever been used for protection of the bank?

I notice the Ulster bank across the road is getting repairs done.

was it attacked by the cannon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Agent Smith,

Thanks for getting in touch. No, the cannons aren't loaded. There is little information available about the cannons' origin, except that they were built in Liverpool in the late 18th century. In the early 1800's Bank of Ireland had its own militia who brought in and maintained the cannons. They were kept after the militia was disbanded.

For other historical information about College Green, why not take a tour of the building. These take place in the House of Lords most Tuesday's from 10:30am - 12:45pm.

Thanks
    Pat

Here are some more pics of the cannons for those of you that are interested.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Would recommend the tour Pat mentioned, very infomative

Could we use these or possibly re-form the militia in the event we vote no & the IMF arrive in force? :D

Advertisement