Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank charging me fees for declined swift

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭

I went to withdraw my savings (and old NR account). I provided the bank with my sort & ac numbers, and they decided to transfer the money by swift using an IBAN i did not provide (they said it was the same IBAN NR used).

Swift got declined by my current ac bank and they took a 25 Eur charge from what they returned.

My deposit ac bank is now telling me that they will be charging me that fee. I dont think its fair as I have provided the correct details and they coerced me to transfer the money by swift instead of normal bank transfer or cheque.

The reason my current ac bank rejected the swift is because it is incorrect. :eek: having talked to them, the only correct part of it was the account number on it :(

I waiting nearly 3 weeks now to have my money sent to my current account. not a happy bunny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

will be interesting to see what information you get. From the sort code, account number and bank name, they should have been able to generate the IBAN but I'll bet that some inexperienced member of staff assumed that the first set of two digits are fixed when in fact they are check sum digits for the whole iBAN. If the bank did not get the info from you and they did not seek further information which you failed to provide then I would see it as their issue. Even more so, I would ask for the transaction to be processed free of charge as they have not processed it in time - that is what I have recieved when incompetence or unfamiliarity on the bank's part has caused delay.

By the way, 3 weeks is a joke. My Irl-UK and UK-Irl transactions get credited same day, generally within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

they got back to me yesterday evening to say they have reissued the payment. They said the problem was dating back to when my branch changed sort code a number of years ago. They had both sets of data on file and they used the old instructins (even though I never provided an IBAN!). they made the payment free of charge also.

The payment itself hasnt taken 3 weeks...its taken them 3 weeks to give me the information I needed to actually access my demand deposit account! :mad:

i also dont know why the deposit bank is insisting on transferring by swift instead of through the normal domestic channels. payments were from PTSB to BOI!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

daheff wrote: »
    i also dont know why the deposit bank is insisting on transferring by swift instead of through the normal domestic channels. payments were from PTSB to BOI!

I would be very surprised if it going through SWIFT, more lightly them bank staff member does not know what they are talking about, or doing!.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Tow wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if it going through SWIFT, more lightly them bank staff member does not know what they are talking about, or doing!.

They gave me a swift form for the payment. Fairly sure it is being transferred by swift.

But in general the staff members i dealt with didnt seem to have a clue what they were talking about or doing!

Advertisement