Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarms

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

There are no smoke detectors in my apartment block. Can I forced management to install them? I am a tenant.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact your local environmental health officer to inspect the premise's compliance with minimum housing standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

it depends on the layout of the block and other factors like the type of alarm. In a lot of blocks with common entrances and lifts there is an alarm panel at the entrance with all apartments linked to it.

You would expect to see some detectors in common areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I don't think it's environmental health?
    I know what you mean about the panel, but I checked it out and there is no panel, no detectors and no alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Sala wrote: »
    I don't think it's environmental health?
    I know what you mean about the panel, but I checked it out and there is no panel, no detectors and no alarm.

The building owners do have a responsiblily to install adequate fire prevention. Lots of info here:

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/DublinFireBrigade/FirePrevention/Pages/LivinginApartments.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Sala wrote: »
    There are no smoke detectors in my apartment block. Can I forced management to install them? I am a tenant.

To be honest, I would have loved to not have any smoke detectors in the apartment building I have been living. I can live with the slight increase in the likelyhood of being caught in a fire with no chances to escape,rather than in a 100-some apartment building where, for some reason or the other, there is not a single week without fire alarms going off, sometimes for half an hour, and at times in the middle of the night.

The alarm console being just after the front door, with easy access from outsiders (that can easily force the door to enter the lobby and make fun with the alarm) doesn't help a bit in downtown Dublin 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks. Who is resposible for enforcing the regulation? If I approach the management company and theyrefuse, what then?

Advertisement