Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips on looking glossy and well groomed?

• 21-05-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I'm a postwoman and because I'm out in all weather getting sweaty or rained on, my hair is usually scraped back and makeup is a no-no (unless
    I want rivers of it running down my face :o ). I find it hard to switch out of work mode and into feminine goddess mode. I only wear a full face of makeup when I'm going out, I'm not averse to it but I feel odd wearing it just to leave the house. I'm sick of seeing polished, put together ladies and then looking at myself to find pale patchy skin and frizzy hair looking back at me :( What I'm looking for is a few tips to make me look more..... well..... PREENED (for want of a better word!). I'm willing to put in the time and effort but I know in my heart and soul that I'll never be the type to spend 2 hours beautifying just to go to the shops :D I know the devil is in the detail so I'm thinking maybe things like eyebrow maintenance etc will make all the difference....

So what are your beauty staples?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

When I was reading your post I thought "eyebrows", and then you mentioned them! I think tidy brows are a great step to being preened and gorgeous! Have you thought about threading? I recently tried it for the first time and am a total convert! Brows really frame a face, so you could also try filling them in for a more defined look. You can get a multitude of pencils to do the job, and many, like myself, also use a slanted brush plus matte eyeshadow to darken and shape.

For a day-to-day easy make up look, you should try a BB Cream or tinted moisturiser. They will brighten your complexion and hide any blemishes etc. They can be applied quickly and easily, none of that two hour lark you mentioned! Add some blush, mascara and lip gloss/stick and you're done!

If you don't want to do make up, you could look into your skin care regime, a few changes or additions could enhance your bare complexion for the no make up days. If you want a full make up overhaul and have some money to spend you can book in for a consultation or lesson at a make up counter. Often they charge but the cost is redeemable against purchases. Brands to look at : Dior, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Laura Mercier. They usually can give you a list of what they used so even if you don't buy from them, you can look at some cheaper brands with similar products in Boots/pharmacies.

I also have curly hair that can be frizzy and one of the best things I did was ditch the hairbrush :D I now only use a wide tooth comb after my shower to get rid of knots. Salt Spray (Toni & Guy range from Boots) is really handy, especially if you have time to let your hair air dry. A mousse, such as Tres Semme, scrunched into your hair before drying will create definition and help the frizz.

Haven't used it myself but lots of people swear by Moroccan Oil, argan oil and coconut oil for sleek hair. Might be worth a shot! For special styling, a curling wand or hot rollers are easy as pie to use and have great results.

Your hair might benefit from a good cut also, and be easier to manage in terms of styling it on the mornings and to make it special for the weekends.

Another little thing that makes me feel just lovely is having my nails painted! A subtle light pink is great for work days, and bold colours for days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Agree eyebrows really make a difference, I love Shu Uemura's eyebrow pencil!

Also a nice cheek and lipstain would be long lasting and would really brighten up your look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

ah mrs postman i feel the same lol even tho i wear makeup every day to work i still see these fab ladies walking around town or on the bus & they just seem to have it "together" i'm 32 now and reckon if i'm not little miss perfect at this stage i never will be.
    little things that might help you feel better tho would be to change ur hairstyle - maybe a fringe or layers?
    tinted moisturiser if u don't want full foundation?
    tint your brows & lashes if you don't want to wear mascara?
    a pretty coloured lip balm as opposed to lipstick or gloss.
    earrings - they dont have to be huge pat butcher ones lol a pretty pair of studs look nice there are so many cute styles now.
    sometimes people just look better without makeup tho - lucky ppl lol but i've seen some ppl with and without and my god the difference, in a bad way i mean, they are just naturally pretty without any help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

For easy, out in all weathers makeup, I'd stick to the basics.

Keep your eyebrows in shape, and dye your eyelashes (and brows if you feel like it) once a month or so. I don't do mine as often as I should, but dying my eyelashes at home takes about 10 minutes (I've never tried the eyebrows). The advantage is that highlights your eyes, and you won't end up with eye makeup running!

Maybelline do a 24 hour lipstick, which I find great. Put it on in the morning, and that's it for the day, no more applications required. You can click a bit of lip balm over it to pep it up if you like.

Add a lick of tinted moisturiser to that as well, and you're perfectly presentable, without worrying that your makeup is sliding down your face all day. If you really want to, you can buy those "blotter sheets" (I think they're pre-powdered) that might help reduce shine a bit during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks lads :D I do tint my eyebrows every once in a while but the stuff I use (Swiss o par) only seems to last about a week :( Thoie, what brand do you use on your eyelashes?

I think maybe a dose of fake tan once or twice a week wouldn't go astray either cos I'm very fair skinned and freckly. I've also been thinking about semi permanent eyeliner because it really opens out the eyes and the pencil and liquid irritate the sh1te outta me :o Not sure I'd be so committed as to let someone tattoo my eyelids though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks lads :D I do tint my eyebrows every once in a while but the stuff I use (Swiss o par) only seems to last about a week :( Thoie, what brand do you use on your eyelashes?

I think maybe a dose of fake tan once or twice a week wouldn't go astray either cos I'm very fair skinned and freckly. I've also been thinking about semi permanent eyeliner because it really opens out the eyes and the pencil and liquid irritate the sh1te outta me :o Not sure I'd be so committed as to let someone tattoo my eyelids though!

I use the Swiss-o-par on my eyelashes as well, and it usually lasts about a month. I've used another one as well that's 1 minute on/off that wasn't bad, I'll update if I can remember the name of it.

Maybe see if you could get a friend to apply it some night to see if it lasts longer when someone else does it?

I'm very pale, and have yet to find a fake tan that suits me (I haven't looked very hard, to be fair), so I'd be cautious.

Advertisement