Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLitt

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Anyone doing or recently done this? It has been suggested to me but it sounds a bit scary. Is it the same as a research Masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

doly wrote: »
    Anyone doing or recently done this? It has been suggested to me but it sounds a bit scary. Is it the same as a research Masters?

It is the same as a research masters. No coursework, just a thesis, which is generally more substantial than an MA thesis (but not as substantial as a PhD thesis).

Many would say that it's 80% of the work of a PhD without the prestige of a PhD, so it's not that popular. You can, however, transfer from an MLitt into a PhD programme (often, anyway) if you decide that the payoff isn't sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

No coursework, just a thesis

I thought MLitts require a minimum of 20 ECTS in taught modules? Certainly if you have any plan to switch to a PhD (where you generally need at least 30 ECTS from taught modules), you'll want to be doing coursework in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You sure about that generally? I know my PhD does, but that's because it's structured, and I was under the impression that's relatively new and unusual. My wifes History PhD doesn't seem to need credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Raphael wrote: »
    You sure about that generally? I know my PhD does, but that's because it's structured, and I was under the impression that's relatively new and unusual. My wifes History PhD doesn't seem to need credits.

As far as I know all PhDs are now 'structured' since a few years ago and have the 30 credit requirement. If your wife started before then she might be under 'old regs' and not have that requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Nope, she started recently enough. Interesting - Will get her to poke her school/supervisor about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement