Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a gluten free flour

Options
  • 21-05-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

I am hoping that some of you could recommend a gluten free flour, I have tried Oldums tricamyl and was not very happy with it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Doves Farm GF flour is a pretty good all-rounder replacement for normal flour (this is a rice/potato/tapioca blend).

Juvela White Mix (which is de-glutenised wheat starch-based) is fairly good too and does good light cakes and pastry (harder to get though, usually the chemist will order it in and its about twice the price of Doves).

The biggest thing about using GF flours is that you will have to adjust your existing recipe volumes/weights. GF batters and doughs are also often much stickier prior to baking and can therefore be trickier to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

rocky2 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am hoping that some of you could recommend a gluten free flour, I have tried Oldums tricamyl and was not very happy with it.

Thanks in advance.

I would have to say that it depends on what you're going to use the flour for.

If it is for bread then you're better off with a general purpose or mixed flour so I would agree that Doves is the best choice. However, for bread you will need to buy xanthan gum as well as a gluten replacement or you'll end up with a brick.

If it's for batters & breaded coatings I would recommend plain rice flour which you can find in any Asian supermarket. It has the added advantage of staying crispy for longer when it comes out of the fryer so its a great choice for party food.

If it's for sauces & thickening then I would recommend using cornflour or arrowroot or something more unusual such as a liaison or agar. Generally I try to avoid using flour at all as a thickener.

For cakes & desserts I generally find that chestnut flour gives the best results, particularly in chocolate cakes although admittedly it can be a bit hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rocky2

Coffee to go,

thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I would have to say that it depends on what you're going to use the flour for.

If it is for bread then you're better off with a general purpose or mixed flour so I would agree that Doves is the best choice. However, for bread you will need to buy xanthan gum as well as a gluten replacement or you'll end up with a brick.

If it's for batters & breaded coatings I would recommend plain rice flour which you can find in any Asian supermarket. It has the added advantage of staying crispy for longer when it comes out of the fryer so its a great choice for party food.

If it's for sauces & thickening then I would recommend using cornflour or arrowroot or something more unusual such as a liaison or agar. Generally I try to avoid using flour at all as a thickener.

For cakes & desserts I generally find that chestnut flour gives the best results, particularly in chocolate cakes although admittedly it can be a bit hard to find.

oldrnwisr,

Can you tell me where I can get xanthum gum, as that is the exact problem I was having when trying to make bread - it was like chalk.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I find the Dove range quite good too. It took a lot of messing around to get the mix just right (I use it for pizza bases) but keep a note of quantities every time you try cooking with flour until it comes out right. The most annoying thing about gluten free cooking is the number of ingredients you have to combine to get the same result as wheat flour! Xantham gum is easily available in any good health food shop.

• Advertisement

Thanks emer_b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Sorry for bumping an old thread but for people's information, Dove have a specific white bread mix - available in tesco. No need for xantham gum just found it today.

Advertisement