Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Shed for tools??...

• 21-05-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

After building an extension a few years back we got rid of our garden shed to free up some space in the remainder of the garden. Since then I have been storing all my tools in proper tool drawers etc in a room of our house.

Now with one kid growing up and another on the way I need to get the tools out of the house to free up the room for the kids and keep herself happy!! :).

I'd like to put them all in a good shed but it needs to be secure, I probably have a few grand worth of tools etc accumulated over the last 20 years that I couldn't afford to replace.

The other issue is space, there is some space left at the side of the house but it would be limited to about 5ft i.e. I could fit a 6x5ft or a 7x5ft, 8x5ft etc shed.

Anyone have a good suggestion as to a good 'secure' option?
    I can run electricity to it so I can mount a sensor light and maybe even a rudimentary alarm?

Cheers...

livingthedream

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

After building an extension a few years back we got rid of our garden shed to free up some space in the remainder of the garden. Since then I have been storing all my tools in proper tool drawers etc in a room of our house.

Now with one kid growing up and another on the way I need to get the tools out of the house to free up the room for the kids and keep herself happy!! :).

I'd like to put them all in a good shed but it needs to be secure, I probably have a few grand worth of tools etc accumulated over the last 20 years that I couldn't afford to replace.

The other issue is space, there is some space left at the side of the house but it would be limited to about 5ft i.e. I could fit a 6x5ft or a 7x5ft, 8x5ft etc shed.

Anyone have a good suggestion as to a good 'secure' option?
    I can run electricity to it so I can mount a sensor light and maybe even a rudimentary alarm?

Cheers...

livingthedream

Unless its a block shed, I'm not sure how secure it can be made. For the tools I don't use too often i store them in the attic and if I am doing a job its no bother to pop up and get what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

talk to shanette sheds, get a price for an insulatted steel shed with a window and a security door. You'll need to arrange a base too, it won't be cheap.
    Once there are tools in the shed it becomes a workshop. Make space for a chair and a fridge. Put a lock on the inside of the door. On no account should you install an intercom.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

DublinDilbert, unfortunately as part of the same extension we did an attic conversion too so no space there! :(
    Once there are tools in the shed it becomes a workshop. Make space for a chair and a fridge. Put a lock on the inside of the door. On no account should you install an intercom.

Yes we can all dream :) I was looking at some of those lovely big adman sheds in the Glen of the downs at the weekend, oh to have the space (and er money) for one of those, no more waiting for the rain to stop before working on the car etc....

Starting to think I might have to end up building a brick one myself....

~S.

Advertisement