Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iCloud - help me

• 21-05-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

If my phone is 16gb, and my total collection of stuff (music, videos, apps) etc, begins to exceed that 16gb limit, can I selectively store the excess on iCloud, and not on my device(s), assuming of course that I have purchased enough extra storage on iCloud?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No. iCloud isn't really any use for that. You'll need DropBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Ok, didn't know you could store apps, or music for that matter for apple products in drobox! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's with the attitude? Figure it out yourself then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

What's with the attitude? Figure it out yourself then.

Apologies. The sarcasm smilie, was directed at myself, for not having thought it possible to store such files in dropbox. I just never bothered to try it as I automatically assumed it would in no way be possible.

Sorry about the miscommunication!!!

While yes you can store music in dropbox, they won't be on the device (unless you want, in which case you need more memory). So you can't add them to the music app?

As for apps, I don't think apps can be installed/ran from dropbox, but I'm open for correction on that?

• Advertisement

Apologies. The sarcasm smilie, was directed at myself, for not having thought it possible to store such files in dropbox. I just never bothered to try it as I automatically assumed it would in no way be possible.

Sorry about the miscommunication!!!

That's okay. Sorry for snapping at you. The rolleyes smilie can be a bit inflammatory. :D

Anyway, I assumed you were referring more to documents than things like apps. Apps you can delete and re-download from the App Store no problem. Same goes for iTunes-purchased music. But as LaughingJoker said above, you can't run apps in the cloud. And you have to actually download the iTunes-purchased music again in order to play it. Apple also offer a paid service called iTunes Match for non-iTunes music, but again, you have to download it in order to play it, no streaming.

So while Apple's cloud services are great for backup and for syncing across multiple devices, they aren't really any good if you've run out of space and want to expand your storage. If want to be able to store some content in the cloud but still have easy access to it, then DropBox is really your best bet. It's particularly good for documents. However, there are limitations. You can play/stream music and video content, but only through the DropBox app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Must say for those of us living in the sticks, with puny broadband speed, backing up to the cloud takes for ever and ever and ever amen. It's a PAIN:mad:

Advertisement