Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Xbox & Optional Media Update

Options
  • 21-05-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Ok so my original Xbox RROD and after resurrecting it multiple time only for it to die again a week or two later I gave up and bought a new 250G S console.

Anyway I used my old xbox as an extender for media center in the past with no problem whatsoever. Now on the new slim console it keeps telling me I need to install the optional media center update (which is already installed). Nearly every time I want to stream a video I have to uninstall the optional update and download again to get it to work.

This problem is not unique to the media center as it also happens when I try to watch videos requiring the optional media update from a memory stick.

I've tried clearing the cache and reformatting the disk but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Having searched the web I've not come up with any new suggestions so would appreciate if someone here could help shed some light on this problem for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

I seem to remember having a similar problem a few years ago.
    I think what worked for me was to create a new silver live account and download the optional media update with that gamertag.
    Hope its some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

fran426ft wrote: »
    Ok so my original Xbox RROD and after resurrecting it multiple time only for it to die again a week or two later I gave up and bought a new 250G S console.

Anyway I used my old xbox as an extender for media center in the past with no problem whatsoever. Now on the new slim console it keeps telling me I need to install the optional media center update (which is already installed). Nearly every time I want to stream a video I have to uninstall the optional update and download again to get it to work.

This problem is not unique to the media center as it also happens when I try to watch videos requiring the optional media update from a memory stick.

I've tried clearing the cache and reformatting the disk but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Having searched the web I've not come up with any new suggestions so would appreciate if someone here could help shed some light on this problem for me.

I'm going to guess that you are using the same account/gamertag on the new console as on the RROD one? If you originally downloaded the optional media update on the RROD console (and any other DLC, for that matter) you should use the licence transfer tool (as it seems like you may not have done already), as otherwise you can have issues in using downloads that are "tied" to another console, as the Optional Media Update may be. Once you have done this you should be able to use it offline, where at present you probably have to be online, as you are using the license associated with the gamertag, rather than the one for the hardware.

ETA My GF has a console which is not her original, and she has issues with the Media Update offline having not run this tool, whereas I replaced a stolen console with a new 250GB slim, and have had no such issues having run this tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Thanks for the replies guys. That makes sense as I haven't transferred my licences yet since I'm pretty much at my monthly download limit and was waiting until it rolled over to my next months quota before having to download games and add ons again.

Will give it a go next week and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Forgot to get back on this.....transfered the licences and everything works fine again now. Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement