Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subway Personal Best Ad campaign

• 21-05-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone else find it insulting that Irish subway stores are displaying posters of all English athletes,obivously in conjunction with the olympics,and some of whom will be in direct competition with Irish athletes at the Olympics.
    I dont have anything againist the athletes in the ad campaign but what is wrong with using our own athletes :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

all I know is subs are tasty,
    couldnt care who they have on pictures.

I would place this in After Hours, might be more enjoyable,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm pretty sure this is a UK ad on UK channels, haven't seen it on rte, etc.

Ignore me, I misread the OP. I haven't noticed the posters in store tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is a UK ad on UK channels, haven't seen it on rte, etc.

What has television got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sorry I misread the OP, I thought they were referring to the ads on tv :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, may I suggest you contact Subway about your concern

http://subway.ie/business/contact/contact_us.aspx

I can't personally comment as I've not seen the adverts, but based on what you said it sounds like somebody in their marketing department was abit of a ejit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think to say I was insulted would be pushing it a bit too far. I thought it strange, certainly, to use athletes fron the UK on ads here and more so to use athletes at all to advertise junk food like Subs.

Hardly a Consumer Issue though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It is a bit ridiculous alright. They even have the UK athletes wearing green Ireland-looking kit on subway.ie, which is very misleading.

It wouldn't have killed them to throw a few quid at Irish Athletes for their campaign in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

i would say that this happens quite alot with products and companies that have a big placing in the Uk market,
    they just either dont have the budget for our small market,
    or they just dont see the point in bothering to change their designs and advertising.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They're not saying Support the UK Olympic team or anything, I don't see the problem. Is it insulting of Adidas to use Messi in their ads here instead of Stephen Rice?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Skid wrote: »
    It is a bit ridiculous alright. They even have the UK athletes wearing green Ireland-looking kit on subway.ie, which is very misleading.
    The Subway colour is green, they're using the same green in the UK

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

28064212 wrote: »
    They're not saying Support the UK Olympic team or anything, I don't see the problem. Is it insulting of Adidas to use Messi in their ads here instead of Stephen Rice?

Insulting = no but very much borders on it esp with use of green
    Lazy = Yes

If your going to advertise in a country it pays to show that you actually recognize the country and any famous sports people it may have as it can create brand loyalty more easily.

In this case Subway are being very lazy and after seeing the subway.ie adverts with Louis Smith I have to say the use of alot of green borders on being misleading to Irish people as well,

Its very sloppy and suggests that they can't be arsed to do up some separate marketing material for Ireland so they just decided to ship over posters from the UK.

Answer me this, if it was the world cup this year would you think it was ok for them to put some English players in green on the Irish website and on posters?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Insulting = no but very much borders on it esp with use of green
    Lazy = Yes

If your going to advertise in a country it pays to show that you actually recognize the country and any famous sports people it may have as it can create brand loyalty more easily.

In this case Subway are being very lazy and after seeing the subway.ie adverts with Louis Smith I have to say the use of alot of green borders on being misleading to Irish people as well,

Its very sloppy and suggests that they can't be arsed to do up some separate marketing material for Ireland so they just decided to ship over posters from the UK.
    Lazy? Maybe. Not unlike the Renault ads when they just dub in the English audio instead of reshooting it. Of course, it's much more likely that "Subway UK and Ireland" decided it wasn't cost-effective to pay more athletes for a small segment of their market
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Answer me this, if it was the world cup this year would you think it was ok for them to put some English players in green on the Irish website and on posters?
    If they were in white on the English posters, then no. But they're just wearing the Subway colour. Do you really think they're using the "Irish" colours instead of the Subway ones in the UK market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to After Hours

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

grantbp wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it insulting that Irish subway stores are displaying posters of all English athletes,obivously in conjunction with the olympics,and some of whom will be in direct competition with Irish athletes at the Olympics.
    I dont have anything againist the athletes in the ad campaign but what is wrong with using our own athletes :mad:

ENGLISH ATHLETES?
    THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

How dare they use English athletes what with the Olympics in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The smell in that kip is what i find offensive. I couldn't stand in the shop long enough to get on of their sambos, so i have no idea what they taste like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

800,000 Years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I couldn't care less what gombeens are on their posters - I'm there to look at the sub they're making for me not posters! The same way my dog doesn't care that there's a union jack on his Bonios! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I saw the ad on little boxes at the Subway I was at today.

Then I paid for my Sub and left. Was quite nice, actually, though I think a little bit too much red onion on it. I like red onions but too much of anything can spoil a good sub, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Just close your eyes and go la la la.
    PROBLEM SOLVED. (It really IS that easy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Never mind anabolic steroids and blood doping. Subway Subs will give you that vital edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

dudara wrote: »
    Not a Consumer Issue - moved to After Hours

dudara
    Erm.... cheers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hmm English Athletes you say? Never eating there again the disgusting bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dem fooking anglish commin here taking our subs and olympics and ****.
    bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

What offends me is yer man who refuses to have jalapenos.

Big fecking jessie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is sandwich eating an Olympic sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

1850 715815

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is sandwich eating an Olympic sport?

No. We would've heard if Mary Harney had qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Official breadrolls of London 2012.

The sheer amount of crap that's the official xxxxxx of London 2012.

I hate all the advertising that goes with it. If anything it puts me off buying things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I just can't believe I've been using the Luas all this time, when apparently we have a fecking subway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No. We would've heard if Mary Harney had qualified.

She qualified for the Dutch Gold and Pie-eating biathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Any ads I have seen have all had Irish athletes in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Subway tastes like shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If ever there was a topic for Joe Duffy, this is it

OP, I expect to hear you tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If ever there was a topic for Joe Duffy, this is it

OP, I expect to hear you tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I went there once. They dont have BUTTER!!!

Never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I just think that they picked the 2 most boring athletes to run this campaign. A guy afraid of Jalapenos and a girl thats so boring even Father stone would get bored.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I saw a Pepsi ad with Fernando Torres and Frank Lampard in it the other day. I was dead offended. They're going to be competing against our boys at the Euros. They should refilm it with Richard Dunne and John O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

First our spuds, now our Subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Gets Celtic Jersey and placard and goes straight to SubWay.
    Must stop at ATM for cash cos I need at least Euro 4.50 for the Breakfast Sub.
    This protesting is hungry work.
    Might wait till it stops raining first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

England doesnt compete at the olympics OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The recession is really biting hard for you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

28064212 wrote: »
    The Subway colour is green, they're using the same green in the UK

so they are putting British Athletes in Irish colours? I am insulted and outraged.

(Actually, no I'm not, I couldn't give a fiddlers)

so they are putting British Athletes in Irish colours? I am insulted and outraged.

(Actually, no I'm not, I couldn't give a fiddlers)

British athletes in Irish Subway restaurants?

/me puts republican hat on

This is an outrage! Rabble rabble rabble!

British athletes in Irish Subway restaurants wereing green?

/me puts unionist hat on

British athletes in Irish Subway restaurants standing next to pork products?

/me puts jewish hat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I've seen the ad, but didn't even notice who featured on it to be honest.

Although if it were to feature Irish Athletes no doubt the do gooder brigade would be slating them for encouraging unhealthy eating, the same as Katie Taylor received for featuring in a sports drink ad.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Although if it were to feature Irish Athletes no doubt the do gooder brigade would be slating them for encouraging unhealthy eating, the same as Katie Taylor received for featuring in a sports drink ad.

Which would be doubly stupid because if you are trying to eat healthily you can do much worse than subway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

syklops wrote: »
    Which would be doubly stupid because if you are trying to eat healthily you can do much worse than subway.

About as healthy as Mcdonalds who are an Olympic partner. Subway is highly processed. Reconstituted meat, high carb, high salt and sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dawn in Kildare supply all Subway meat for Europe

A rare succuss story these days :)

tuxy wrote: »
    About as healthy as Mcdonalds who are an Olympic partner. Subway is highly processed. Reconstituted meat, high carb, high salt and sugar.

Source?

Are their fresh fruit/vegetables processed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tuxy wrote: »

Huge amount of salt in the bread

• Advertisement
Advertisement