Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed editing a .conf file using vi or nano

Options
  • 21-05-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I want to enable ipv6 Privacy Addresses [aka Privacy Extensions] on Snow Leopard.

I've read that the way to do it is:
    sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1

I tried entering that in Terminal but it spat back "Operation not permitted"

Looking further [here, here and here] it seems that I have to create a file /etc/sysctl.conf, and then add net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1 to that file.

The thing is I have no idea how to do that with vi or nano. [I have no idea how to use vi or nano]

For example if I follow these instructions on unixfu.ch

It says entering
    sudo vi /etc/sysctl.conf

will create the /etc/sysctl.conf. But I don't understand how to do the second part, putting
    net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1

into the sysctl.conf file.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You would probably find nano easier to use as vi can be a bit complicated for the novice user.
    sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

Then you can easily just paste in the code you want, right click paste or ctrl+v.

Hit Ctrl+o to save
    and Ctrl+x to exit

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

jester77, thanks for the reply.

I'm a tiny bit stuck !!
    I followed your instructions. I tried Crtl+v to paste but that didn't work so I tried Cmd+v and that pasted.
    crtl+o seems to have worked too. The window kind of changed and it says File Name to Write /etc/sysctl.conf

But, when I try crtl+x to save nothing happens. Should I try cmd+x ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

firkin wrote: »
    jester77, thanks for the reply.

I'm a tiny bit stuck !!
    I followed your instructions. I tried Crtl+v to paste but that didn't work so I tried Cmd+v and that pasted.
    crtl+o seems to have worked too. The window kind of changed and it says File Name to Write /etc/sysctl.conf

But, when I try crtl+x to save nothing happens. Should I try cmd+x ?

When you get the prompt File Name to Write /etc/sysctl.conf, just hit enter and you will see a prompt showing "Wrote x line", x being the number of lines in the file. The file is now saved to your system. Ctrl+x is just for exiting out of Nano.

You can then type
    cat /etc/sysctl.conf

to show the contents of the file and confirm that it was written to.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

Perfect. Job done. Thank you. :)

I was a little unsure of my self there. Really sorry for PM-ing you over this.

Thanks again.

Advertisement