Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are no jobs in this town, and "jobsbridge" is a contributory factor.

Options
  • 21-05-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working for a company on a contractual basis so am obviously keeping an eye out for other positions for the future.

However, I'm getting sick of seeing the words "The intern will gain practical experience...bla bla bla"

Take a look at the "job" that I have attached, and tell me it isn't disgraceful.

I know there is a large thread on this elsewhere on boards, but i want to talk about how it's particularly effecting this region.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'd say it effecting Waterford as it is everywhere else, esp urban areas. Apart from being a way of employing someone for nothing it must be having a wider effect regarding wages. The above example is of course exactly the sort of position that should be specifically excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I also feel strongly about some of the 'jobs' posted. Even those that might offer development opportunities are actually real jobs that are being sucked out of the system.

I suggest emailing the local TD's. I think Paudie Coffey is on a Government committee in this area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I'd say it effecting Waterford as it is everywhere else, esp urban areas. Apart from being a way of employing someone for nothing it must be having a wider effect regarding wages. The above example is of course exactly the sort of position that should be specifically excluded.

Fully agree,

Essentially that job advertised is what used to be for many a student summer job and now its effectively gone and for those that now apply for it they get feck all money.

Shame on any business that use this scheme in this manner and even bigger shame on FG for coming up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fully agree,

Essentially that job advertised is what used to be for many a student summer job and now its effectively gone and for those that now apply for it they get feck all money.

Shame on any business that use this scheme in this manner and even bigger shame on FG for coming up with it

Agree as well there is an awful lot of companies abusing this scheme in Waterford and around the whole country. Why take on someone when you can get someone to work for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What annoys me is that a lot of very large companies are using the scheme. I'm talking about the likes of Merck, Deloitte, Pfizer etc.

While the candidate will probably have good opportunities to develop in the large organisation, many of these companies are doing very well and can easily afford the meagre salary that would be on offer a full time role in the same area.

SME's who may normally never be able to attract quality graduates should be able to benefit most from this scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

hardybuck wrote: »
    What annoys me is that a lot of very large companies are using the scheme. I'm talking about the likes of Merck, Deloitte, Pfizer etc.

While the candidate will probably have good opportunities to develop in the large organisation, many of these companies are doing very well and can easily afford the meagre salary that would be on offer a full time role in the same area.

SME's who may normally never be able to attract quality graduates should be able to benefit most from this scheme.

The chances of getting a job out of the scheme are slim as I found out in Limerick, once your time is up, they will just take on another person from the scheme instead of hiring. They all use the crap excuse its experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I honestly think that it should be only jobs like in Advertising or Retail management. Jobs that you need experience to get into but maybe don't have enough at the moment.

Having this scheme for jobs that are usually less then say €10 an hour or entry level positions is frankly a disgrace and I have have little time for any company that does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

90% of marketing jobs are now jobsbridge. So many small businesses who need someone to push their social marketing etc have now been given a cheap option.

Meanwhile, hundreds of marketing graduates join the dole queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It really is a load of old B@*%#ks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

See - there's loads of jobs in this country... it's just that employers don't want to pay any wages for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Take a look at the "job" that I have attached, and tell me it isn't disgraceful.

I know there is a large thread on this elsewhere on boards, but i want to talk about how it's particularly effecting this region.

Is that for real or is it off waterfordwhispersnews? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was at a small roundtable with Joan Burton a few weeks ago and asked her about this. Half way through her bullsh1t answer about "how it costs money to make space for an employee in your organisation" etc (which was pretty difficult to understand in the first place given the piece of 2 be 4 that appeared to be stuck up her ass) I stood up and left the room in the most awkward and noticeable way possible, knocking a chair "accidentally" on my way. At least that clown knows what I think of her and her governments absolutely sh1t work for free scheme.

If there is ever a revolution in this country (which is not entirely impossible), and all politicians including FF, FG, Labour, Greens and PDs are stripped of all income and pensions, I will make and investment to make space for her cleaning up sh1t in the most disgusting way I possibly can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm currently working for a company on a contractual basis so am obviously keeping an eye out for other positions for the future.

However, I'm getting sick of seeing the words "The intern will gain practical experience...bla bla bla"

That is pathetic alright but lets face it, who in their right mind is gonna work as an intern in a chipper. Some companies including massive corps like tesco have tried to capitalise on this. Just goes to show that this a previous govts cant manage a p-up in a brewery, how the hell are they to manage a country, they cant, thats why we need the EU to tell them what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

That's taking the Mickey alright, my interpretation at the time they announced this was, that it was for newly qualified professionals who had no experience and so could not get them a job.
    This is an immoral and crooked use of an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

once your time is up, they will just take on another person from the scheme instead of hiring.

From chatting to people who went through the whole process that is the one glaringly obvious flaw within the scheme, no punishment on the employer and no real incentive to take you on as they can take in a new slave person looking for experience instead. If the scheme barred an employer for even 6 months out of it if they fail to keep the person on then it might be worthwhile. A person would be more inclined to stay with them gaining experience and then getting a position out of it if they knew the system worked like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

wellboytoo wrote: »
    That's taking the Mickey alright, my interpretation at the time they announced this was, that it was for newly qualified professionals who had no experience and so could not get them a job.
    This is an immoral and crooked use of an internship.

... And an immoral use of the pension tax robbed from the private sector

Traitors the lot of them:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Do what I do, see an exploitative position, go onto their Facebook page and shame them in front of their friends/ staff, customers etc. It's not much, but it's something.

BTW, the idea of the scheme is to drive down the cost of labour in this country, nothing else. It helps make companies more profitable, and lowers wage demands for new applicants. It's beyond obvious that it's keeping people on Social Welfare, and that the Labour Party - The LEFT!!!!!! are the ones pushing it the most.
    Jesus, they are going to be annihilated in the next local and general elections.

I encourage other people to name and shame employers using this scheme, and unlike another poster above, there is NO job, repeat, NO job that anyone should work a 40 hour week for and get an 'extra' €50. If there is genuine work to be done, then one has to get paid for it.
    If you work for free, you will never be short of work in this short lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It makes me mad thinking about this, not only is the normal joe soap paying for the mistakes of bankers and politicians, now they expect us to work in a chipper for free !!
    whoever rubber stamped this needs to be removed from their position.
    It's a joke :mad:
    Rant over !

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I live in a different part of the country and I agree with you. I have seen a number of strong, well known companies in my area using job bridge.
    At the moment one of my friends is looking for work but they told me that the extra €50 a week would hardly cover there travel expenses if they took up this "kind offer" to work 40 hours a week for €50.
    Why can the gov give a incentive to employers to take some one off the dole even for a few days a week that is not exploiting people who are out of work at the moment. If a person has some more money they will spend it which will lead to more tax/vat ect paid. Other business would be in a position to stay open, keep on staff or take on more staff which would put more money into circulation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

gman2k wrote: »
    Do what I do, see an exploitative position, go onto their Facebook page and shame them in front of their friends/ staff, customers etc. It's not much, but it's something.

BTW, the idea of the scheme is to drive down the cost of labour in this country, nothing else. It helps make companies more profitable, and lowers wage demands for new applicants. It's beyond obvious that it's keeping people on Social Welfare, and that the Labour Party - The LEFT!!!!!! are the ones pushing it the most.
    Jesus, they are going to be annihilated in the next local and general elections.

I encourage other people to name and shame employers using this scheme, and unlike another poster above, there is NO job, repeat, NO job that anyone should work a 40 hour week for and get an 'extra' €50. If there is genuine work to be done, then one has to get paid for it.
    If you work for free, you will never be short of work in this short lifetime.

Nail on the head gman. As well as forcing down wages (cost of labour) it is also facilitating job displacement as companies instead of recruiting workers for a fair wage will instead hire the job bridge people for €50 per week while the State picks up the tab maximising profit for the firm(s) involved. After the 9 month period, the poor sods are simply replaced by others and so the cycle continues. The firm(s) involved in many cases have no intention of taking on potential full time employees and simply repeat and rinse when the placement is up.

It is simply exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    See - there's loads of jobs in this country... it's just that employers don't want to pay any wages for them.

This.

They basically want employees but don't want to pay them and cry that they have no money to pay them. Surely when this system was introduced they could've put some sort of qualifying terms into place.

I have seen numerous positions advertised that pretty much match word for word what I do in my job everyday - which is fairly full on and involves a lot of responsibility - for €50 extra a week. Surely the people running these schemes have a responsibility to keep an eye on these websites and do spot checks on employers. I know some places put up a job and when they actually take someone on the responsibilities differ from the advert but a lot of them are not even hiding what they're doing.
    witless1 wrote: »
    From chatting to people who went through the whole process that is the one glaringly obvious flaw within the scheme, no punishment on the employer and no real incentive to take you on as they can take in a new slave person looking for experience instead. If the scheme barred an employer for even 6 months out of it if they fail to keep the person on then it might be worthwhile. A person would be more inclined to stay with them gaining experience and then getting a position out of it if they knew the system worked like that.

This is a good idea. If an employer is happy to keep someone for 9 months (I think that's the normal term for these positions) without one complaint but then suddenly the term expires and they get rid of them surely that could be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Absolutely disgraceful!

I'm about to be one of those Marketing Graduates and despite absolutely immersing myself into any project that I could and gaining valuable experience and references, I feel like I'm kicking **** up a hill as far as securing an interview is concerned. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to leave Waterford as most of the jobs that I have been applying for are in Dublin.

An internship programme in this industry would be worthwhile and I know that I wouldn't mind working with an SME and gaining experience while also helping them grow. I know I mightn't get a job out of it but I would get experience and in this industry, experience is everything! However, seeing chippers exploit the system completely undermines any benefits it may bring!

https://www.facebook.com/supermacsofficial
    https://twitter.com/#!/supermacsire
    Supermacs official page is the place to let them know - Family Restaurant? Hope you don't have a family to feed on €50 a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If there is ever a revolution in this country (which is not entirely impossible), and all politicians including FF, FG, Labour, Greens and PDs are stripped of all income and pensions, I will make and investment to make space for her cleaning up sh1t in the most disgusting way I possibly can

funny you should say that, maybe it's not just a concidence after all that we are fast approaching the 100 anniversary of the 1916 rising, maybe we could bring it forward a bit.

To save some time, here are all the waterford ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

90% of marketing jobs are now jobsbridge. So many small businesses who need someone to push their social marketing etc have now been given a cheap option.

Meanwhile, hundreds of marketing graduates join the dole queue.

It's called JobBridge, not JobsBridge as far as I'm aware. The latter is thrown around the other threads as if that's what it was actually called;)

Does anyone see this scheme as a springboard to permanent employment with someone else, as in, a full-time, relatively well-paid position, due to the initial experience they have gained for the 9-12 months?

Most employers don't really want to take someone on that isn't working or hasn't really worked in the field they graduated from without a little bit of experience. At least garnering a number of months in relatively poorly paid scheme shows that the potential candidate is willing to do this to find something better after and that they are eager to put themselves out there to secure a future employment in a field that they're interested in.

It's also there to plug gaps in CVs, to be honest. I can't see why someone wouldn't do it if they were out of work for a long time. It's an indicator to a a potential employer that they were keen to get back in employment, whatever it might have been.

This is the side of the scheme that I think is beneficial. Hope I don't get lambasted for this view:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

du Maurier wrote: »
    It's called JobBridge, not JobsBridge as far as I'm aware. The latter is thrown around the other threads as if that's what it was actually called;)

Does anyone see this scheme as a springboard to permanent employment with someone else, as in, a full-time, relatively well-paid position, due to the initial experience they have gained for the 9-12 months?

Most employers don't really want to take someone on that isn't working or hasn't really worked in the field they graduated from without a little bit of experience. At least garnering a number of months in relatively poorly paid scheme shows that the potential candidate is willing to do this to find something better after and that they are eager to put themselves out there to secure a future employment in a field that they're interested in.

It's also there to plug gaps in CVs, to be honest. I can't see why someone wouldn't do it if they were out of work for a long time. It's an indicator to a a potential employer that they were keen to get back in employment, whatever it might have been.

This is the side of the scheme that I think is beneficial. Hope I don't get lambasted for this view:)

i think its more of an indicator that somone has lost their pride if they feel happy to become a 50bux slave for some big business or corporation, teva and the whitfield clinic were recently looking for jobridge slaves why would anyone go in and work the same hours alongside somone on say 700€ a week for a bullseye :confused:

So...you do this JOBBRIDGE thing for 9 months and then the company lets you go. The company then takes on another JOBBRIDGE candidate. The previous one thinks that he now has a better chance of securing employment...but guess what...all the companies that he's now well equipped to work for, are not taking on any paid employees. Just JOBBRIDGE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It's not just working the same hours, sometimes it's doing the exact same tasks as someone getting a proper wage while you struggle to get by on your pittance because the company employing you are riding the system.

Advertisement