Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are no jobs in this town, and "jobsbridge" is a contributory factor.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

This isn't cold call selling, stacking shelves or flipping burgers. Sounds like a proper internship to me, and as said above they are genuinely struggling to survive, it's not like they are too stingy to employ someone.

But if they makes people and departments redundant because 'their services aren't needed anymore' it doesn't seem right to hire a cheap intern to do the same work (graphic design & online marketing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Can't believe that Avox. I find it hard to believe they can't afford to take on a member of staff on a proper wage, even minimum wage.
    I know somebody who works there. There have been a lot of redundancies and staff have taken weeks off without pay. It is an industry in decline after all. So some companies are taking advantage this scheme just to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Avox wrote: »
    Even The Munster Express are taking advantage of this
    The biggest threat to newspapers like the Munster Express is Facebook. It used to be that people bought the local newspapers to see if anyone they knew was in it (Births/Deaths/Marriages etc). With Facebook - all that stuff is available in near real time. The newspaper business in Ireland is having problems adjusting to the web.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Its still the same in my books, Instead of taking on some qualified to do the job and pay them a wage they are taking the cheap option like every other company.
    Like a lot of businesses they can't afford to pay someone a proper salary for a proper position but they are not asking the intern to do the job of someone in a proper position.
    Media999 wrote: »
    Wouldnt feel sorry for that newspaper to be honest. The owners are probably only worth millions. lets all work for fifty quid a week so the millionaires dont have to downgrade there 745i.
    Interns are not working for €50 a week, they are working for social welfare plus €50 so about €235. And the word 'slavery' was bandied about here earlier - working for money is a job, and everyone who does an internship chooses to do it, they are not forced against their will. So what if the owners are millionaires? This is a 150 year old family business and they have earned whatever money they have personally. I doubt they are millionaires anyway.
    Media999 wrote: »
    Nope. Not begrudging. Just think its a **** newspaper that refuses to modernise.
    They are a local newspaper, and even major national and international papers are struggling to adapt to the changes in technology which are making print media redundant. How do you propose they should modernise?
    RumMonkey wrote: »
    But if they makes people and departments redundant because 'their services aren't needed anymore' it doesn't seem right to hire a cheap intern to do the same work (graphic design & online marketing).
    The departments/jobs they made redundant related to the printing which wasn't viable any more so they had to outsource it (and at least jobs elsewhere are secured by that). I would see this as a way for the intern to get experience and the company is helped stay functional. Again, they are not going to expect the intern to be doing the work of a qualified graphic designer, the intern will be helping out people in different positions and learning the ropes from professionals in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is a 150 year old family business and they have earned whatever money they have personally. I doubt they are millionaires anyway.

As someone who'd be fairly centre-right, I'd agree with you that they should have the right to keep most of the money that they earn regardless of how rich they are. I don't subscribe to the view that they're entitled to State handouts. In fact, this business of bailing out every organisation that's in trouble only leads to higher taxes. If they can't/won't adapt to changing times, then best to leave them expire and allow space there for startups who will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

I doubt they are millionaires anyway.

Why?

Stark wrote: »
    they should have the right to keep most of the money that they earn regardless of how rich they are.

Whats your opinion on people who dont pay suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm talking about taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

The departments/jobs they made redundant related to the printing which wasn't viable any more so they had to outsource it (and at least jobs elsewhere are secured by that). I would see this as a way for the intern to get experience and the company is helped stay functional. Again, they are not going to expect the intern to be doing the work of a qualified graphic designer, the intern will be helping out people in different positions and learning the ropes from professionals in the field.

Actually it wasn't just printing that was outsourced. They closed 4 departments: printing, distribution, internet and production (or layout & design). That internship seems to include duties from 2 of those departments.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Re: The Munster Express

This isn't cold call selling, stacking shelves or flipping burgers. Sounds like a proper internship to me, and as said above they are genuinely struggling to survive, it's not like they are too stingy to employ someone.

You could claim most any business is struggling these days, given the way some people have responded in this thread the fact the munster is struggling makes it ok for slave labor.

I guess its ok for any chipper or corner shop to also abuse the scheme too, after all these are hard times etc etc

I've heard of a pub that wants to employee a bar man on the scheme, you know so they'll gain valuable experience and all that lark....without a doubt the pub is struggling after all aren't they all in some way or another, sure they could employee and pay somebody even min wage but why bother when you can get somebody for free?

But its ok, they are struggling....
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RumMonkey wrote: »
    Actually it wasn't just printing that was outsourced. They closed 4 departments: printing, distribution, internet and production (or layout & design). That internship seems to include duties from 2 of those departments.

Then he has the cheek to use the hashtag #supportyourlocalnewspaper :D

Hes seriously playing that card with the way he treats locals. :eek:

If only everyone knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This was posted on the WIT Careers Page:
    Here's a few opportunities to think about over the weekend if you have Marketing or HR experience

Forward thinking Technology company are on the look out for a fast learner with Marketing Degree or similar based in Waterford. This is a job bridge Internship but will lead to a permanent role for the right candidate. Go-getters only please who would be comfortable in a fast paced global business.
    HR and Training Interns wanted for a variety of roles, both Internships and part-time roles in Waterford.

Give Karen or Christina a call on 051 844546 or email ask@thisisup.com

As a Marketing graduate (well, final exams over) this is exactly the type of job I'm looking for - I even have "looking for employment in a forward thinking technology company" in my CV! However, because it's a JobBridge programme, I assume I'm immediately ruled out because I currently have a job and haven't been out of college long enough to apply for a job under that scheme.

Mildly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I can't help but think that some of the players in this Jobsbridge programme are the equivalent of Kramerica Industries. :) Though hopefully some will provide real jobs for interns.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

Sign and share this petition and send a message to the government that this Jobbridge scheme is being taken advantage of by employers. A few changes and some common sense with this scheme and it could be good for actual internships, but at present it is just being taken advantage off by many employers.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jobbridge-taking-advantage-of-the-unemployed/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

Sign and share this petition and send a message to the government that this Jobbridge scheme is being taken advantage of by employers. A few changes and some common sense with this scheme and it could be good for actual internships, but at present it is just being taken advantage off by many employers.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jobbridge-taking-advantage-of-the-unemployed/

I'll definitely sign this and share it with my friends. It's kind of sickening that a company can make money out of 'recruiting' for these positions too, I know of one company who is doing this in town. That is money that could be given to the person on the programme instead of a private profit making company! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Just to say - it might not be so bad being paid 235, but some of us are on 100 pw. 150 for 40 hrs/9 months? There's nothing fair about that.

On a personal note, I begrudge internships but applied for a few, in desperation of employment. Despite have a fetac and a tiny bit of exp. in relation to internship, I was told on 4 occasions that I was under-qualified....This wasn't just small businesses either - exploitation at it's best. Also, one of said internships required 50hrs, not the usual 40.....Job-bridge is a good concept gone VERY wrong ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've just finished up a Contract position with a large company in Dublin and I was looking at something to do more closer to home.

I mind my daughter 3-4 days out of the week so something from home or something for the other days was preferable. Anyway...I looked on some websites and became even more furious as to how internships have obliterated all the jobs that would have been available for me

Anyway, I saw on the FAS site that there was a restaurant outside of the city looking for an intern to do their marketing for them. I'm pretty certain that the owner of that restaurant will be reading this, and I don't particularly care. He's a decent man that I have worked with in the past. Anyway, here's how the role appeared on the site:
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in a major product launch, supporting the ongoing employment of 12 people, securing significant investment and examining the impact of a new social / web media strategy in the tourism/restaurant sector The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following project management, strategic planning, objective setting and review analysis On completion the intern will have attained skills in marketing.

Skills Requirements
    The person fulfilling this role will be a highly motivated person, willing to think globally but act locally. In fact the ability to develop a social/web media strategy will be key to the role but equally an ability to create a plan and follow it through into action. Being people oriented will be an important feature of the successful candidate A leaning towards graphic design will he helpful also.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Marketing

The bit that I have in bold tells me that they don't so much want to teach people how to do something, more spend a week telling the person what they want, and then expecting them to do it for free.

I realise that I'm probably divulging too much information here, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time for me would it? I spoke to the owner of the restaurant on the phone and told him what I do for another restaurant in the town and how it might work for him. He seemed interested. I put together a 25 page PDF proposal for him, which he decided he wasn't even going to acknowledge. I thought that was odd, because I do think a lot of this person. My rate was unbelievably cheap, but of course there's nothing as cheap as FREE.

I hope it works out for him. But if you look at the FAS site you will see that there is no such thing as a Marketing/Design job anymore. Why should businesses pay someone when they can get someone else for free.

Here are some of the other internships currently on offer:

Tutor
    Friendly outgoing person required to assist our training team. Organised, efficient and able to schedule their day. People person willing to learn new skills and be flexible with the work load. Ability to think on the spot and use their own judgement. Highly reliable and methodical.

Receptionist
    The intern will gain practical experience in reception/answering telephones; record keeping and updating archives; filing and data input; Overall General administration in all aspects of the hotel. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Dealing with the general public at reception and on the switchboard; record keeping and Hotsoft training. On completion the intern will have attained skills in Dealing with the public; record keeping; word processing; and hotsoft hotel software, Office administration.
    (Woodlands Hotel)

Festival Organiser
    The intern will gain practical experience in being involved in setting up a unique new Christmas festival taking place in Waterford The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: co-ordinating commercial, entertainment and retail activities. Organising seasonal events in various historic locations throughout the city. On completion the intern will have attained skills in networking with the commercial, public and entertainment sectors operating in Waterford. Liaising with Transition Year Co-Ordinators, arts, cultural and theatrical organisations. Communications and reporting, marketing and advertising.

Insurance Handler
    The intern will gain practical experience in the Insurance broking industry. They will learn the processes for dealing with Personal Lines policies using the Open GI software. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following; Insurance processes and software, general office duties and working in a team. They will be expected to sit the Insurance Institute of Irelands Accredited Product Adviser exams, with a view to attaining the relevant qualification for giving advice to clients. On completion the intern will have attained skills in working in the Personal Lines insurance area, be part or fully qualified to work in that area as per the Central Bank of Irelands Minimum Competency Code.

Caretaker
    The intern will gain practical experience in: waste management in the school; management/repair/maintenance of classroom furniture; setting up for college events/meetings; opening and locking the school; monitoring Fire Safety equipment; Green Schools Initiative; and grounds management. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: waste systems at the school; Green School Policy; Planning for events; Fire Safety and School Fire Register; and Health and Safety Policy. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: managing waste systems; liaising with Waste Disposal Contractors; Fire Safety and Legislation; Health and Safety; and Team work. Applicants must supply suitable character references and be prepared to complete a Garda vetting application form.

ARE YOU F*%KING KIDDING ME?!!!

I could go on, and i assure you, it just gets worse. The above companies, and the rest of them on the jobs websites, I was tempted to say, should be ashamed of themselves. But, they're just using the system that has been presented to them.

I will however, say well done to GENZYME, who have taken on interns and then subsequently offered them contract work. These are the companies that internships work for, but without this national scheme I believe they would still have their own internship program.

This has to stop and it has to stop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Like most things the Irish Government touches - it's all well intentioned and sounds great in theory but then they implement it without any competent regulation or enforcement of any type and wonder why it's abused.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think I said this already, but have you emailed any of your examples to the appropriate Government department? I'm not saying they will fix it there and then, but you have an issue that has been discussed on national radio and the Minister said people need to email examples of such abuse. If you do and its ignored, go to the media and highlight it.

I have sully. Email ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have sully. Email ignored.

When? I'd fire of another email with the above examples (maybe cut out the blowing of your own trumpet tho :P) and to be honest maybe its time you spoke with TodayFM. It was Matt Cooper that covered this a while back. I'd see the media would love it and hey you might make change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I've just finished up a Contract position with a large company in Dublin and I was looking at something to do more closer to home.

I mind my daughter 3-4 days out of the week so something from home or something for the other days was preferable. Anyway...I looked on some websites and became even more furious as to how internships have obliterated all the jobs that would have been available for me

Anyway, I saw on the FAS site that there was a restaurant outside of the city looking for an intern to do their marketing for them. I'm pretty certain that the owner of that restaurant will be reading this, and I don't particularly care. He's a decent man that I have worked with in the past. Anyway, here's how the role appeared on the site:

The bit that I have in bold tells me that they don't so much want to teach people how to do something, more spend a week telling the person what they want, and then expecting them to do it for free.

I realise that I'm probably divulging too much information here, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time for me would it? I spoke to the owner of the restaurant on the phone and told him what I do for another restaurant in the town and how it might work for him. He seemed interested. I put together a 25 page PDF proposal for him, which he decided he wasn't even going to acknowledge. I thought that was odd, because I do think a lot of this person. My rate was unbelievably cheap, but of course there's nothing as cheap as FREE.

I hope it works out for him. But if you look at the FAS site you will see that there is no such thing as a Marketing/Design job anymore. Why should businesses pay someone when they can get someone else for free.

Here are some of the other internships currently on offer:

Tutor

Receptionist
    (Woodlands Hotel)

Festival Organiser

Insurance Handler

Caretaker

ARE YOU F*%KING KIDDING ME?!!!

I could go on, and i assure you, it just gets worse. The above companies, and the rest of them on the jobs websites, I was tempted to say, should be ashamed of themselves. But, they're just using the system that has been presented to them.

I will however, say well done to GENZYME, who have taken on interns and then subsequently offered them contract work. These are the companies that internships work for, but without this national scheme I believe they would still have their own internship program.

This has to stop and it has to stop now.

Thats quite a good post with very good points fair play for making a strong well worded statement, i definitely think if you could make those points on national radio it would be great as i do agree the system is being abused and i think your beliefs is what is needed to help bring the disgraceful internships to a halt.

Sully wrote: »
    When? I'd fire of another email with the above examples (maybe cut out the blowing of your own trumpet tho :P) and to be honest maybe its time you spoke with TodayFM. It was Matt Cooper that covered this a while back. I'd see the media would love it and hey you might make change.

I certainly didn't mean to blow my own trumpet...but yeah, I see how it would look like that. I think I was half trying to sell myself to anyone who was reading this haha, moment of anger really.

The main problem is that some of the internships are obviously disgraceful and others are made to look like they're not - until the person starts the job that is. 100% of interns expect a level of guidance and education. Instead they quickly learn that they are just another employee and will be ordered around like one. Just without the wage packet at the end of the week that all the other employees will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I was in FAS last week checking up on a course im on the waiting list for and wouldn't you know I was trying to get talked into applying for this slave scheme. I simply asked would I be promised a job out of it and I was told maybe!. The person working in FAS was actually trying to use the 50 quid as a selling point, yes 50 euro is a lot of money these days but seriously its pennys for whats expected.

Id work 9-12 months no problem for nothing if I was promised an opportunity at the end of it but no way other than that. I know it might sound bad but id rather sit on the dole than be taking advantage of that much and made feel that small.

Im reading through the comments here and people are saying one of the main reasons they don't get offered the job at the end is because of experience, wouldnt you gain enough experience over the actual internship to considered employable for this job? im sorry but your busting your balls for basically the dole (lets not kid ourselves) infact probably less than the dole if you include cost of transport, food etc over the week but after you complete the internship for free over a long period of time it should be law that you given some sort of a chance in the company at earning a decent wage packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

I was in FAS last week checking up on a course im on the waiting list for and wouldn't you know I was trying to get talked into applying for this slave scheme. I simply asked would I be promised a job out of it and I was told maybe!. The person working in FAS was actually trying to use the 50 quid as a selling point, yes 50 euro is a lot of money these days but seriously its pennys for whats expected.

Id work 9-12 months no problem for nothing if I was promised an opportunity at the end of it but no way other than that. I know it might sound bad but id rather sit on the dole than be taking advantage of that much and made feel that small.

Im reading through the comments here and people are saying one of the main reasons they don't get offered the job at the end is because of experience, wouldnt you gain enough experience over the actual internship to considered employable for this job? im sorry but your busting your balls for basically the dole (lets not kid ourselves) infact probably less than the dole if you include cost of transport, food etc over the week but after you complete the internship for free over a long period of time it should be law that you given some sort of a chance in the company at earning a decent wage packet.
    yeah even if it was minimum wage for the internship then it would'nt be too bad, i'm sure the company involved is getting some tax incentive for taking on an intern???

yeah even if it was minimum wage for the internship then it would'nt be too bad, i'm sure the company involved is getting some tax incentive for taking on an intern???

Min. wage sounds like a dream compared to 150e for 40+ hours!!!

About 3e an hour??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Gratuitous self promotion aside (mindful that there are plenty of people posting on this forum who don't have that option under present rules), excellent post abouttobebanned.

I'd happily see companies who abuse the scheme named and blacklisted. I'd happily know the name of the restaurant you are referring to and avoid eating there.

It's a sad state that during the so called good times we were ruined by companies and individuals who were happy to ride rough-shod over fellow Irish people through greed. That includes every local business who coined through the good years and offered up laughable Christmas sales for locals or charged €5 for a beer or whatever. Now that we hit the bad times the same greed still pervades. In this case it's a restaurant who want to establish themselves at the expense of an eager young person looking to gain employment or a local business. And, it's at our expense as well. We pay for this scheme and we're being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 watwag

I absolutely agree with most of what has been said here. Jobbridge is a farce and a disgrace. Pretty much every junior marketing job in the country has been turned into a pathetic internship but little hope of proper employment. The system needs to be scrapped or seriously reviewed at least. The sad fact is that many people, myself included, are suffering due to this introduction of this scheme. I genuinely feel that with the education and skills I have I would have secured a job by now, but instead most of these jobs have turned into jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

du Maurier wrote: »
    It's called JobBridge, not JobsBridge as far as I'm aware. The latter is thrown around the other threads as if that's what it was actually called;)

Does anyone see this scheme as a springboard to permanent employment with someone else, as in, a full-time, relatively well-paid position, due to the initial experience they have gained for the 9-12 months?

Most employers don't really want to take someone on that isn't working or hasn't really worked in the field they graduated from without a little bit of experience. At least garnering a number of months in relatively poorly paid scheme shows that the potential candidate is willing to do this to find something better after and that they are eager to put themselves out there to secure a future employment in a field that they're interested in.

It's also there to plug gaps in CVs, to be honest. I can't see why someone wouldn't do it if they were out of work for a long time. It's an indicator to a a potential employer that they were keen to get back in employment, whatever it might have been.

This is the side of the scheme that I think is beneficial. Hope I don't get lambasted for this view:)

I am currently employed in one of the roles on that list , its everything thats described in the advert , and now its my position to work to the best of my ability and make myself indispensable to that company, i took it on because it gets me out of the house , im activly working, and after being out of work for almost 2 years its great to feel i am actually being productive.....i complained about this scheme upto a point but the alternative is sitting at home watching jeremy kyle ....No thank you very much ......

• Advertisement

war_child wrote: »
    I am currently employed in one of the roles on that list , its everything thats described in the advert , and now its my position to work to the best of my ability and make myself indispensable to that company, i took it on because it gets me out of the house , im activly working, and after being out of work for almost 2 years its great to feel i am actually being productive.....i complained about this scheme upto a point but the alternative is sitting at home watching jeremy kyle ....No thank you very much ......

You are lucky that it is exactly as described - not everyone has had that experience.

Advertisement