Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are no jobs in this town, and "jobsbridge" is a contributory factor.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

So, a the government release a report about a government run initiative. No chance of that containing any bias so...

no bias no.....the figures are as usual completely misleading. the figure they are using is basically a percentage of who is in work compared with those people who have been on a job bridge program at ANY stage, doesnt have to be with same company or even next company. I heard a figure like 19% of those on it are offered employment with their job bridge company. A long way from figures like 61%. This doesnt take into account work displacement, companies taking advantage etc. Usual story, badly run by the govt and now trying to justify their incompetence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, a the government release a report about a government run initiative. No chance of that containing any bias so...

Didn't think it was a government report, but an independent report?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Don't know if many people are aware of this, but you have to be on jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance for at least 3 months before you are entitled to apply for jobsbridge. The graduates coming out of college in june wont be able to apply so don't know why the politicians are shouting about the graduates should consider it as a way of getting work experience.

Sully wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a government report, but an independent report?

C'mon,you are not serious, an independent report? (commissioned by the govt.)
    I reckon, if they came out and said, yeah its been implemented badly, but 19% of people got work out of it, we are gonna try harder people would be more willing to give it some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

was on the fas website recently there was about 102 jobs on it for waterford city only about 33 jobs on it were actually paid jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I'm currently working for a company on a contractual basis so am obviously keeping an eye out for other positions for the future.

However, I'm getting sick of seeing the words "The intern will gain practical experience...bla bla bla"

Take a look at the "job" that I have attached, and tell me it isn't disgraceful.

I know there is a large thread on this elsewhere on boards, but i want to talk about how it's particularly effecting this region.

I agree with this 100%.

Only thing that surprises me is that people are surprised about it. I said it from day one - this is just another farce to get people off the live register in makey up jobs when really all you are doing is taking someone else's possible job from them.

Farce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Hmmm...
    Some fine examples here of Jobbridge internships which should and normally would be paying jobs:
    Hasbro - Assembly Technical Assistant
    Lismore Park Pharmacy - Pharmacy Retail Assistant
    Woodlands Hotel - Receptionist
    Viking Hotel - Hotel Receptionist
    Hibernian Gifts - Retail / Cafe Catering Assistant

Personally, I won't give any of my hard earned cash to a business who partake in the scheme with jobs like the above. I encourage others to do likewise...

(here's a link to the rest of the Waterford City internships advertised at the moment)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think our local media has a role to play in this by highlighting the local questionable jobbridge schemes and speaking with them, and people who went through the schemes, to see what its all about.

Sully wrote: »
    I think our local media has a role to play in this by highlighting the local questionable jobbridge schemes and speaking with them, and people who went through the schemes, to see what its all about.

a minor role maybe. The govt have the major role in ensuring that any scheme are administered properly, that bull internships like catering assistant (Quoted from Gman) dont appear on it and take action against those who businesses who take the P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I work in a place where they have used a Job-bridge person to do a particular task (filing and archiving) that the paid staff were very slow at and at the end of their 6 months they are always told that, you never know, you might get a paid position here, and they always just get left go and replaced by another person and the cycle starts all over again. Its slave labour pure and simple, under the guise of a "government initiative". Just a quick glance at the website will tell you that they are now hiring solicitors, engineers and qualified accountants for no pay and double the productivity. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Agree as well there is an awful lot of companies abusing this scheme in Waterford and around the whole country. Why take on someone when you can get someone to work for nothing.

it's a bit like corporate tax avoidance imo

the scheme sux but it's up to the powers that be to regulate it or even better scrap it

business will automatically take advantage of cheap labour imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

whats wrong with people taking up crap like the slavebridge positions advertised above , those positions should be boycotted along with the scambridge businesses offering them......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And these idiots who say "you should be grateful to HAVE a job, even is its unpaid" are the worst kind of blinkered, institutionalised fools out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

the council are also using this..looking for tradesmen last week with an top up for 20 euro for your troubles.

sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hoffmans wrote: »
    whats wrong with people taking up crap like the slavebridge positions advertised above , those positions should be boycotted along with the scambridge businesses offering them......

While i agree with you totally and i am not a fan of Jobsbridge as i think it is exploitation there are people who are stuck at home and might be unemployed for a very long time and when it comes to applying for a job (its an employers market) Theres about 40 other people ahead in the que! that person who has been unemployed for a very long time will probably be at the end of that pile for every job they apply for, and getting back into the work scene during a recession can be very hard, and when you have so many knock backs you can suffer from confidence and then you can suffer from depression etc etc etc its like a viscious circle, so i mean for some people who are long term unemployed and finding it hard to get back into the workplace i think its ok, but i would be vary wary of employers taking advantage of this scheme and from what i read here its happening alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hoffmans wrote: »

The likes of FAS are putting people's names forward for these. I got called in 3 weeks ago to FAS and since then i have had 2 interviews and have another lined up next week. The sad thing is after 4 years of college i can't even get one of these jobs because people applying have more experience. I don't mind a scheme if it is ok and will give me experience. The last interview i wanted the job but didn't get it.

The fact is you have no choice but to apply for these jobs. In the letter they send out it says if you don't follow it up your payment may be cut. It's true because FAS called me last week saying i never applied for a job they sent. They had given me the wrong email address of the employer.

The fact is FAS are stepping up their efforts to get these jobs filled. You can get cut if you refuse a job. I don't mind getting some experience. But €50 extra for 40 hours a week for a year is excessive. If i liked the job it would be alright but by the time you get lunches and travel your €50 is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

While i agree with you totally and i am not a fan of Jobsbridge as i think it is exploitation there are people who are stuck at home and might be unemployed for a very long time and when it comes to applying for a job (its an employers market) Theres about 40 other people ahead in the que! that person who has been unemployed for a very long time will probably be at the end of that pile for every job they apply for, and getting back into the work scene during a recession can be very hard, and when you have so many knock backs you can suffer from confidence and then you can suffer from depression etc etc etc its like a viscious circle, so i mean for some people who are long term unemployed and finding it hard to get back into the workplace i think its ok, but i would be vary wary of employers taking advantage of this scheme and from what i read here its happening alot.

The problem is that many of the people you're describing aren't even getting offered job bridge 'jobs'. They're going to the more dynamic, well-qualified types a lot which is sort of a market distortion in many ways.

There's an assumption that anyone can get on a job bridge placement, the reality is that you have to apply and maybe be interviewed and there may be quite serious competition for the interesting placements.

A large % of job bridge placements seem to be genuinely useful, but another % are just using free labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think a rule should be brought in that a person can only hold one offical job.

I work with a guy who has 4 different jobs

the council are also using this..looking for tradesmen last week with an top up for 20 euro for your troubles.

sickening.

are you talking about a CE scheme? dont mix up the 2. I know lads on those CE schemes, If it is a CE scheme a lot of the lads on it are happy to do something, just to get out of the house, their is no promises made about FT jobs so everyones eyes are wide open when they do it. The CE schemes are also used to help finish the training of lads coming out of FAS as there is few private companies will to take on apprentices.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The likes of FAS are putting people's names forward for these. I got called in 3 weeks ago to FAS and since then i have had 2 interviews and have another lined up next week. The sad thing is after 4 years of college i can't even get one of these jobs because people applying have more experience. I don't mind a scheme if it is ok and will give me experience. The last interview i wanted the job but didn't get it.

The fact is you have no choice but to apply for these jobs. In the letter they send out it says if you don't follow it up your payment may be cut. It's true because FAS called me last week saying i never applied for a job they sent. They had given me the wrong email address of the employer.

The fact is FAS are stepping up their efforts to get these jobs filled. You can get cut if you refuse a job. I don't mind getting some experience. But €50 extra for 40 hours a week for a year is excessive. If i liked the job it would be alright but by the time you get lunches and travel your €50 is gone.

The gas thing is as ive said before i think on this thread or maybe another, the Germans are doing this ages now! they are called Euro jobs and they only get ONE EURO on top of their unemployment benefit, its suppose to be for people who just cant get work and are unemployed, so if you compare 50 euro extra to 1 euro extra plus the fact that the social welfare is much much more here than it is in Germany Spain or France, just thought id point that out! not saying its a good or bad thing either way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The gas thing is as ive said before i think on this thread or maybe another, the Germans are doing this ages now! they are called Euro jobs and they only get ONE EURO on top of their unemployment benefit, its suppose to be for people who just cant get work and are unemployed, so if you compare 50 euro extra to 1 euro extra plus the fact that the social welfare is much much more here than it is in Germany Spain or France, just thought id point that out! not saying its a good or bad thing either way!

Thanks for pointing that out ....again;).

Big difference in the cost of living in both countries as well. The social welfare is determined by many factors and I'm reasonably sure that it's fairly tough for most people to get by on the dole in Ireland.Cut it to German levels and it'd be alot worse.

I think alot of the ce schemes are fairly decent ,mainly in small towns where people can actually contribute to the community and get some thing for it.As well as that its only 19 hours a week. You compare that to some of the internships that want people to work a full 40 hours for a private company and its tantamount to slave labour. The only ones benefiting are the employers and they're not gonna reduce prices because of lower costs. It needs to be regulated alot better and I agree with many of the posters who say that business's that exploit the scheme should be boycotted. I like to support local, but when the local business is taking advantage its time to pull the plug.

I'm not saying that every one involved is taking advantage but from what I've seen , there's a liitle bit too much of it going on. Interference like this in the market only weakens the economy and leaves the way open for unscrupulous employers to fire people gainfully employed and replace them with free labour.

Meatwad wrote: »

Big difference in the cost of living in both countries as well. The social welfare is determined by many factors and I'm reasonably sure that it's fairly tough for most people to get by on the dole in Ireland.Cut it to German levels and it'd be alot worse.

I think alot of the ce schemes are fairly decent ,mainly in small towns where people can actually contribute to the community and get some thing for it.As well as that its only 19 hours a week. You compare that to some of the internships that want people to work a full 40 hours for a private company and its tantamount to slave labour. The only ones benefiting are the employers and they're not gonna reduce prices because of lower costs. It needs to be regulated alot better and I agree with many of the posters who say that business's that exploit the scheme should be boycotted. I like to support local, but when the local business is taking advantage its time to pull the plug.

I'm not saying that every one involved is taking advantage but from what I've seen , there's a liitle bit too much of it going on. Interference like this in the market only weakens the economy and leaves the way open for unscrupulous employers to fire people gainfully employed and replace them with free labour.

Yeah i wasnt comparing like for like, that was me just throwing in what might be an interesting bit of info, might be interesting for some and not so interesting for others;)

Its also tied into the fact that we have new overlords in Ireland and dont be surprised of you see the 50euro being lowered, after all they are telling us to do alot here at the moment anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

defo dealt with an estate agent who told me ah I had two girls in de boom now I have one jobsbridge ! now I'm sure if that scheme wasn't there one of the two would be employed/ re-employed ! also known of a multi national that's taking the pee !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Yeah i wasnt comparing like for like, that was me just throwing in what might be an interesting bit of info, might be interesting for some and not so interesting for others;)

Its also tied into the fact that we have new overlords in Ireland and dont be surprised of you see the 50euro being lowered, after all they are telling us to do alot here at the moment anyway![/QUOTE]

Yeah, have to agree on that. It's fairly scary really that we essentially sold our sovereignty for a loan of a few quid. Probably doesn't help that theirs an image of Ireland being portrayed to other countries, that we're doing better than we actually are. Its like the neighbour in the merc looking like he's doing well for himself and going home to eat pot noodles for dinner in front of the fire he lite with broken furniture.
    I can see it getting worse before it gets better. I wonder if there was an honest portrayal of how the country actually is suffering would we get a bit better treatment from our overlords. Probably doesn't help that we have people begging for bailouts that are earning more money than the people they're asking, but I suppose thats a debate for another thread.

Its also tied into the fact that we have new overlords in Ireland and dont be surprised of you see the 50euro being lowered, after all they are telling us to do alot here at the moment anyway![/QUOTE]

Yeah, have to agree on that. It's fairly scary really that we essentially sold our sovereignty for a loan of a few quid. Probably doesn't help that theirs an image of Ireland being portrayed to other countries, that we're doing better than we actually are. Its like the neighbour in the merc looking like he's doing well for himself and going home to eat pot noodles for dinner in front of the fire he lite with broken furniture.
    I can see it getting worse before it gets better. I wonder if there was an honest portrayal of how the country actually is suffering would we get a bit better treatment from our overlords. Probably doesn't help that we have people begging for bailouts that are earning more money than the people they're asking, but I suppose thats a debate for another thread.

Yeah some people who are driving the merc probablay put down a deposit on the car and are paying back a very large loan on the car and the house, that seems to be the case, I dont understand why people feel they must buy a new car and lots of fancy goods, even if they cant afford them, if you cant afford a new car keep the old one, just service it and look after it youl be fine, plumping for the new car cos you can cover it now on your income might not be the best idea, mind you holding onto money causes the economy to contract. I think alot of Irish people judge success on their image and how they see theirselves and how others see them, so its important to have the expensive clothes or cars or phones so people think they are successful, even if it means getting into debt, thats not how i judge success,

I agree with you that it will be a very long time for Ireland to get better and Waterford in particular, if i hadnt had bought a house i would have left a few years ago but there you go, just have to make the most of it.

Another thing is dont forget the German tax paying public are also a bit peeved that their tax is being used to loan money to some countries who are struggling to get their house in order and when ze germans start saying well hold on they are getting compared to Nazis whic infuriates them, why should we lend them money and so on, so i do have sympathy for them(the general public), i bet if irish tax payers were paying for greece's bailout and they didnt get their sh't together Irish people would be going bonkers! and before anyone asks this isnt a generalisation ive seen this debate on German TV is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Deise67 wrote: »
    defo dealt with an estate agent who told me ah I had two girls in de boom now I have one jobsbridge ! now I'm sure if that scheme wasn't there one of the two would be employed/ re-employed ! also known of a multi national that's taking the pee !

thats why they call it scambridge.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The scariest thing of all is the silence from the Unions. Not a peep because Labour is in power. You couldn't make it up.

Advertisement