Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Nutshell version: he saw messages on my phone from another guy I'm dating and went mad. The irony is, I would have happily gone exclusive with this first guy, only he was at pains to point out that he wasn't in the headspace for a relationship. I took this to mean that he was dating other people too, but apparently not. In fairness to him, he accepted that he didn't really have any right to be jealous, given that we weren't in a relationship, but said he couldn't help it, he felt "cheated on". Haven't heard from him since Sunday, and don't think I will be.

Anyway, maybe you can patch things up....to be honest I would be the exact same in his position.

I would try not to date multiple people for that reason, at least not over several weeks anyway. Just as I wouldn't like it myself, if someone I was seeing was doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

ladylost wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Are u sure u blew it?

Yep :( I had a lot of stuff on top of me and we got into silly arguments over text over nothing. She said she got over it and still wanted to see me. She was even saying to me how she had told her friends all about me and was even thinking about what to get for my birthday this week, I mean this was all from just texting and Skyping. Even better when we were only chatting a week, I had to go into hospital for a night near where she was and she was going to come visit me. I know ye might think she was a little forward but she was very sweet in fairness.

We met spent all Saturday holding hands, kissing, even cilled at hers and she was cuddling upto me on her bed. SHe said she was very happy with how it was going. But she said she wanted to give me a chance by meeting but she kinda felt a bit like she'd be walking on egg shells around after those occasions. It was totally out of character for me but I understood tbh and am ashamed and bummed out :(

I even have a few other girls giving me their nums/Skype now but I'm not really in form now.

riveratom wrote: »
    Grr. Had date 2 with a smokin' hot girl last night, it was strange though as even though we got on great, it felt a bit 'flat', like there was nothing really there. We had a laugh and got on well, but just didn't feel like there was much between us. Got a text confirming the same on her end earlier....onwards and upwards so!!

Just as an extension to this, it's funny how you can think everything is fairly good, and then it just abruptly stops. I guess I would have been willing to go another date or two and see if there was much spark then...ah well, better to nip it in the bud early I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dovies wrote: »
    Nutshell version: he saw messages on my phone from another guy I'm dating and went mad.

How did he see them Honey?

He took a picture of us making stupid faces on my phone and went to WhatsApp it to himself, saw it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Herrick wrote: »
    Yep :( I had a lot of stuff on top of me and we got into silly arguments over text over nothing. She said she got over it and still wanted to see me. She was even saying to me how she had told her friends all about me and was even thinking about what to get for my birthday this week, I mean this was all from just texting and Skyping. Even better when we were only chatting a week, I had to go into hospital for a night near where she was and she was going to come visit me. I know ye might think she was a little forward but she was very sweet in fairness.

We met spent all Saturday holding hands, kissing, even cilled at hers and she was cuddling upto me on her bed. SHe said she was very happy with how it was going. But she said she wanted to give me a chance by meeting but she kinda felt a bit like she'd be walking on egg shells around after those occasions. It was totally out of character for me but I understood tbh and am ashamed and bummed out :(

I even have a few other girls giving me their nums/Skype now but I'm not really in form now.

I don't think it's beyond repair at all. I think all too often we are quick to shut down when we feel we may have been too full on or too eager or that the other person may know to much about us in the initial stages... Hell I'm pretty guilty of it!

Can you try and talk to her about it or have a chat over text or email? Explain that you like her and would love to see her again if she was willing?

• Advertisement

Sarah** wrote: »
    I don't think it's beyond repair at all. I think all too often we are quick to shut down when we feel we may have been too full on or too eager or that the other person may know to much about us in the initial stages... Hell I'm pretty guilty of it!

Can you try and talk to her about it or have a chat over text or email? Explain that you like her and would love to see her again if she was willing?

Oh we talked about it in person before I left. She's had exes that were quick to give out to her/accuse her over stuff. Basically the really jealous type and she's worried that cause I went off at her so easy any little thing she might do would set me off. I tried to explain it was out of character but she said she was afraid of getting too into me, then having to break up with me if I turned out to be like that. I left Sat night, she said she needed time to think.

She text early Sun morning saying she wouldn't be comfortable. I said I really liked her and it wouldn't happen again but she said she'll text if she feels different, but her mind is set for now :( I just said ok to get in contact any time if she wants. I don't want to pester her and look like a right psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Oh we talked about it in person before I left. She's had exes that were quick to give out to her/accuse her over stuff. Basically the really jealous type and she's worried that cause I went off at her so easy any little thing she might do would set me off. I tried to explain it was out of character but she said she was afraid of getting too into me, then having to break up with me if I turned out to be like that. I left Sat night, she said she needed time to think.

She text early Sun morning saying she wouldn't be comfortable. I said I really liked her and it wouldn't happen again but she said she'll text if she feels different, but her mind is set for now :( I just said ok to get in contact any time if she wants. I don't want to pester her and look like a right psycho.

You're right, don't pester and give her time to think. Hopefully she will see that this wasn't in your nature. You handled it well and hopefully she will see that you are being genuine.

Don't be too downhearted. If it is meant to be... It wont pass you. As the saying goes. :)

Sarah** wrote: »
    You're right, don't pester and give her time to think. Hopefully she will see that this wasn't in your nature. You handled it well and hopefully she will see that you are being genuine.

Don't be too downhearted. If it is meant to be... It wont pass you. As the saying goes. :)

Thanks :( It's just such a pain after wading through all the timewasters and false starts to know you were onto a good thing but for acting the knob :( I hadn't met anyone I liked that much in a long time.

One thing I wondered is maybe she liked me but wasn't totally into me though and said that rather than I don't fancy you. But then I think she wouldn't have spent a whole day kissing me, cuddling me and the whole lot surely if she didn't feel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Nutshell version: he saw messages on my phone from another guy I'm dating and went mad. The irony is, I would have happily gone exclusive with this first guy, only he was at pains to point out that he wasn't in the headspace for a relationship. I took this to mean that he was dating other people too, but apparently not. In fairness to him, he accepted that he didn't really have any right to be jealous, given that we weren't in a relationship, but said he couldn't help it, he felt "cheated on". Haven't heard from him since Sunday, and don't think I will be.

If he doesn't have the headspace for a relationship he shouldn't be on a dating website. Ridiculous reaction from him to be honest. If he is too immature to be able to handle this situation it would not be worth it in the long run.

Did he honestly expect you to commit exclusively to him and wait for him to decide he wants a real relationship? That's just expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

"Most people are watching the Olympics because the chance only comes around once in every four years. I'm messaging you instead because the chance to know someone so special only comes around once in a lifetime".

I thought it was brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Novella wrote: »
    "Most people are watching the Olympics because the chance only comes around once in every four years. I'm messaging you instead because the chance to know someone so special only comes around once in a lifetime".

I thought it was brilliant!!

Nice line !!! i wonder how many people got sent that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Nice line !!! i wonder how many people got sent that ...

Probably loads but it definitely made me smile so it's okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Got my first random message in a while. Apparently I'm "super adorable". :pac: Gonna need to take new pics of me with a beard, chopping some wood methinks! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I got an attempt at dirty talk last in the early hours of the morning on POF, from a girl?!? So it's not always guys who are out for the bit of smut! :D

I got an attempt at dirty talk last in the early hours of the morning on POF, from a girl?!? So it's not always guys who are out for the bit of smut! :D

Have you got here username handy?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Is it just me or are all other girls getting messages from older men this weekend, as in im 25 and men over 50 are messaging me :o no success otherwise really!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Been on POF a few weeks now. Sent a good few messages, to maybe 20 different women. Different approaches with different messages - sometimes longer and asking her one or two questions about her profile while rambling on a bit about myself, sometimes short and sweet just focusing in on one thing and trying to be witty or whatever.

ONE girl replied, which turned into several messages back and forth and seemed to be going well enough, but she has since gone quiet for several days. We'd semi-agreed to meet last weekend although we were both busy, but I messaged her my mobile number to let me know if she was free at any point... not heard back since.

Okay I'll stop moaning - my question is this:

Lads - I am wondering, what is the average message-to-reply ratio? Like for every message sent to a girl, would you typically get a reply? For every 10 messages? 50? How uncommunicative are the girls on these things, or am I just getting unlucky? I'm not amazingly handsome or anything but have a reasonable profile up, good few photos, small bit of detail. I'm in Galway so presumably have a relatively small pool compared to Limerick/Cork/Dublin but still, was kinda expecting one or two replies more at least. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

newbee22 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are all other girls getting messages from older men this weekend, as in im 25 and men over 50 are messaging me :o no success otherwise really!

I got messages from a guy in his fifties and another in his forties over the w/e.... I'm pretty sure I was a straight bloke the last time I checked:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Morgoth wrote: »
    ...Lads - I am wondering, what is the average message-to-reply ratio?

About 15:1 for me. I'd rarely receive unsolicited messages. I'm not at all photogenic and I'm probably not the most handsome guy either but it does knock your confidence. It's hard not to scratch the online dating itch when you're new to it but the quicker you learn to be detached, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I would say 1 out of every 20, then maybe out of every 10 that I message 1 will result in regular conversation and slightly less resulting in a date.

• Advertisement

I think I had an average of about 5 :1 or 6 :1 however! that's on replies, from a first mail, not on date's....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

newbee22 wrote: »

I can't explain why they message - but as a guy of ~50 on POF it is disappointing how many profiles of 23-27 year old girls they persist in highlighting to me in emails and on the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

I would say 1 out of every 20, then maybe out of every 10 that I message 1 will result in regular conversation and slightly less resulting in a date.

Sound, slightly encouraged by this. ;P Will keep mixing it up!

Would suggest the following:

- Change your profile photo every couple of weeks

- Update your description too

This is fantastic advice I got off fellow boardsies and it is working.......got a message off a very attractive lady, and it is not even a reply message. First time for everything i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally started using PoF properly, but only sent one message so far. Ease into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Finally started using PoF properly, but only sent one message so far. Ease into it. :)

So going by Armaghmagic's figures above you can expect approximately a 1/20 of a message return! ;)

Cygnus wrote: »
    CastorTroy wrote: »

So going by Armaghmagic's figures above you can expect approximately a 1/20 of a message return! ;)

He could be goodlooking though which is bound to reduce that. Also if he has his city set to Dublin then I would say its down to 1/5 so good luck! I have neither of the above going in my favour.......doesnt stop me giving it a bash though :-)

Well I sent her a nice long message apologizing and explaining my silly behavior on FB. I said I knew she had made up her mind and I didn't want a reply to the message just wanted to get it off my chest. She was online as I sent it as it showed as read.

A few minutes later, I got a text off her wishing me a happy birthday. We exchanged a few messages of chit chat and then she said night, this was at like 12.30am.

My feckin heart was in my mouth when I saw her number come up. I don't really know what to take from it. I'm just putting it down to her being friendly otherwise I'll only get my hopes up. Although I don't think she would have text but for my email.

I said I hoped she didn't feel she had to text me because of my message. She said no that she knew it was my birthday and wanted to wish me a happy one.

Don't really think there's anything more I can do at this stage. Would it maybe be worth waiting a few days and send a simple "how are you doing" text the weekend or something? Or should I leave it?

Well I sent her a nice long message apologizing and explaining my silly behavior on FB. I said I knew she had made up her mind and I didn't want a reply to the message just wanted to get it off my chest. She was online as I sent it as it showed as read.

A few minutes later, I got a text off her wishing me a happy birthday. We exchanged a few messages of chit chat and then she said night, this was at like 12.30am.

My feckin heart was in my mouth when I saw her number come up. I don't really know what to take from it. I'm just putting it down to her being friendly otherwise I'll only get my hopes up. Although I don't think she would have text but for my email.

I said I hoped she didn't feel she had to text me because of my message. She said no that she knew it was my birthday and wanted to wish me a happy one.

Don't really think there's anything more I can do at this stage. Would it maybe be worth waiting a few days and send a simple "how are you doing" text the weekend or something? Or should I leave it?

Why not follow up with her in a few days, casually, really casually, just a simple "hey who's it going" will suffice... build on that after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If it were me, I wouldn't initiate any more contact. You've apologised, you've initiated contact with the mail, she responded, so leave it to her now.

If I were in her position, I'd get a bit annoyed at another message (and I usually love getting messages!). If you haven't heard from her in a week, then maybe, but not a few days.

And have a happy birthday, mate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement