Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've done the OD thing before and didn't run into this mental block that I seem to be having with it right now, I actually got on great with it before, but I've just no interest whatsoever in it at the moment, only seems to have come over me in the last 2 days...

Cancel the dates. No point going on them if you're not arsed. It will show on the date and it's not far on your date.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    I got a telling off for not asking 2 people for dates. I wasn't going to anyhow, but that was that....

How so?
    Can i just say i think POF is gone total **** now. it is always the same old people thats on it..No new faces & if there is they only last afew days then they are gone. i found the women to be very stuck up full of them selves on it.Some of them no pic no reply, yet they dont have pic themselves..& if u donk look like george clooney or ryan renolds your screwed..

Don't find either of them attractive so that's not true. (Esp. Renolds, ew!)

Maybe take a break from PoF for a while if you're getting so fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

[QUOTE Maybe take a break from PoF for a while if you're getting so fed up with it.[/QUOTE]

would you believe i did & it was the same ones that are on it as usual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Larianne wrote: »
    Cancel the dates. No point going on them if you're not arsed. It will show on the date and it's not fair on your date.

Yeah I did that, there's no point going on something that I've now discovered that I've zero interest in.

After trying it again, I think it's a fair comment to make that I'd only be interested in going on a date with someone AFTER I've found I have an interest in them and with someone who has an interest in me, where I know there is chemistry and attraction there, as opposed to going on a date to explore whether or not I have an interest in them or them in me. It's just too much time and effort to be putting in, meeting complete strangers in the hope of finding a connection.

So goodbye POF and the hopelessly cringeworthy "I'm getting tired of the pub/club scene" profiles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@Larianne,

I just wasn't attracted to them in their photos. But I have around 5 emailing me now, and I have no intention of meeting them. I am just being polite replying :(

The only few I was attracted to by their photos didn't reply to me :). So what does that say about me hahaha..... aiming too high.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So goodbye POF and the hopelessly cringeworthy "I'm getting tired of the pub/club scene" profiles!

And profiles containing "need not apply"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

only on 2 days, and from what I can see, if you're outside Dublin, it's a lot harder, simply due to population. Limerick area seems very low with people on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

My approach to Internet Dating is a little bit different from most of the people who try it out.

After the initial buzz of going on lots of 1-2-1 dates wore off, I quickly realised that it's a numbers game. Some dates went great, some ok, and some were very, very awkward! I decided that if it was indeed a numbers game, I would tilt the numbers in my favour.

So instead of going on lots of 1-2-1 dates, I now organise Singles events and get 200+ people from sites like POF. Essentially, I fill a nightclub full of single people who are single and looking to meet other people. The vibe is a lot more relaxed than first time 1-2-1 dates because there is no chemistry to feel chemistry with any one person. Plus it tends to speed things up a lot in terms of finding out who you fancy and who you don't! :P

Occasionally, I go on 1-2-1 dates with girls I haven't already met, but it's an exception. I prefer to date girls I've already met so I know that the chemistry is there. Chemistry is a must because it's the foundation of everything to me. Without it, nothing is going to happen!

I talk to a lot of the girls at the Singles Nights and their most common complaints about guys on the site would be:
    • Guys sending messages like "Hi" and "Hi. How are you?" as their first introduction. Girls get dozens of messages like this every day and many don't bother even checking out your profile because you haven't bothered writing anything of worth to begin with. Often it's not your looks which is preventing your success, it's your failure to capture a girl's imagination and interest. Be more interesting and stand out from all the others!
    • Poor grammar and spelling can often determine whether a girl will reply to you or not, so I recommend checking your profile text again and making sure everything is correct. Text speak tends not to be very well liked either.
    • Put a recent photo of yourself, not one which is 10 years old or is one of you when you were 2 stone lighter. This will kill your chances immediately when you meet.
    • Never boast about your height!!! I have heard many tales of guys claiming to be 5ft10 really only being 5ft6 in person. How these guys expect the girls not to notice is beyond me. Don't do it!
    Hope that helps!

cantdecide wrote: »

Was browsing a few profiles last night, one woman who was in her early 40's, mentioned that she was 5'7" (hardly even tall!), but told everyone under 5'11" not to contact her, and this is a 41 year old?!?!?

Another girl in the legal profession (has been on & off the site for 3 years!), who is actually very physically attractive (in terms of what I'd go for), yet has a profile that again points to a highly narcissistic & childlike personality, telling guys what they should put in a mail if they mail her and what they should not put in a mail and why they should not put certain sentences or phrases in a mail, & basically ridiculing any person, via her profile commentary, who has ever messaged her in a way other than that which she would find to be ideal. Maybe she should send a mail off to herself because that would seem to be the only person who would be on her wavelength, and of course, she only wants to get mails from "professionals"! Seriously, what on earth is a "professional"?!? I worked hard for a degree in what I do, I'm a "professional", but it seems that in the parallel universe that is the Irish legal world, you are only a "professional" if you are in law, accounting or medicine?!?

It's mind blowing how someone can be really attractive, (let's face it, a trait you really have absolutely no control over!), but can then completely let themselves down with regard to how they then go about describing themselves (something you clearly have 100% control over), to the point where people will immediately go completely off you as a person, in terms of how you have presented.

cantdecide wrote: »

And "MUST BE ABLE TO MAKE ME LAUGH!", yeah because that's why God decided to put me on the planet... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Alright guys, let's try and swap out the negativity, nobody's forcing you to talk to these girls ... so try and keep things positive plz ...

Any body manage to organise a few date's for the weekend ? I know one of two have said it in private so let's hope we have a few good ? / nice stories after the weekend ...

I've lost track of which date number this is with my crush so, we'll say it's Date X, a lot of planning going in to this one to night ... but i'm sure i can achieve what i've set out to do ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Was browsing a few profiles last night, one woman who was in her early 40's, mentioned that she was 5'7" (hardly even tall!), but told everyone under 5'11" not to contact her, and this is a 41 year old?!?!?

Another girl in the legal profession (has been on & off the site for 3 years!), who is actually very physically attractive (in terms of what I'd go for), yet has a profile that again points to a highly narcissistic & childlike personality, telling guys what they should put in a mail if they mail her and what they should not put in a mail and why they should not put certain sentences or phrases in a mail, & basically ridiculing any person, via her profile commentary, who has ever messaged her in a way other than that which she would find to be ideal. Maybe she should send a mail off to herself because that would seem to be the only person who would be on her wavelength, and of course, she only wants to get mails from "professionals"! Seriously, what on earth is a "professional"?!? I worked hard for a degree in what I do, I'm a "professional", but it seems that in the parallel universe that is the Irish legal world, you are only a "professional" if you are in law, accounting or medicine?!?

It's mind blowing how someone can be really attractive, (let's face it, a trait you really have absolutely no control over!), but can then completely let themselves down with regard to how they then go about describing themselves (something you clearly have 100% control over), to the point where people will immediately go completely off you as a person, in terms of how you have presented.

I nearly like when you can see for a person profile that they are not your type personality wise. That way you don't waste time emailing or meeting them.

Alright guys, let's try and swap out the negativity, nobody's forcing you to talk to these girls ... so try and keep things positive plz ...

Any body manage to organise a few date's for the weekend ? I know one of two have said it in private so let's hope we have a few good ? / nice stories after the weekend ...

I've lost track of which date number this is with my crush so, we'll say it's Date X, a lot of planning going in to this one to night ... but i'm sure i can achieve what i've set out to do ..

I've noticed an emerging tendency on the thread, to basically try to sideline/silence anyone who isn't bounding about the place with positivity, in relation to their current or past experiences with OD. Is it too much to ask, to be allowed give an honest appraisal of your experiences of the subject under discussion on the thread, without being told to be quiet, cancel dates or take a rain check on the whole thing?

I've made the point before, that OD is a completely difference experience for men than it is for women. It's not lost on me, how it seems that its guys on the thread who have lost faith or are rapidly losing faith in OD, and its women on the thread who are telling people to take a rain check on it if they are not happy with the results, etc? :confused::confused::confused:

Any chance it just is a lot more complicated and intricate than dating in the real world, and on that basis, just not worth the hassle, for guys anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

On the flip side reading the same people constantly piss and moan about it is even more annoying.

If its that much of a pain in the hole then why do it at all?

mood wrote: »
    I nearly like when you can see for a person profile that they are not your type personality wise. That way you don't waste time emailing or meeting them.

Well I find it frustrating when you look at a pic, and it's exactly the type you'd go for, you see that you have loads of stuff in common, but you end up thinking that they are untouchable because of a load of ridiculously petty qualifications that are hanging out of the profile. If it was just the odd one here or there, you'd understand it, but it's a high enough percentage of profiles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I've noticed an emerging tendency on the thread, to basically try to sideline/silence anyone who isn't bounding about the place with positivity, in relation to their current or past experiences with OD. Is it too much to ask, to be allowed give an honest appraisal of your experiences of the subject under discussion on the thread, without being told to be quiet, cancel dates or take a rain check on the whole thing?

I've made the point before, that OD is a completely difference experience for men than it is for women. It's not lost on me, how it seems that its guys on the thread who have lost faith or are rapidly losing faith in OD, and its women on the thread who are telling people to take a rain check on it if they are not happy with the results, etc? :confused::confused::confused:

Any chance it just is a lot more complicated and intricate than dating in the real world, and on that basis, just not worth the hassle, for guys anyway?

The reason some people are annoyed at just how much negativity is being posted is because it's generally the same people posting negatively for a few weeks at a time, posting pretty much the same rants all the time, and generally insulting women (I'm not saying that you in particular are, I'm saying this in general terms).

Plenty of women have complained, and plenty of men have complained. But most do it in a constructive way, not in having several massive rants. At the end of the day, if you ARE unhappy to the point where you're writing regular rants (again, not aimed at you in particular!), why bother?

I got sick of it, so I took a break for a month. Didn't delete my profiles, but took a break. Went back, ended up on a date with the first guy who messaged me (who also happened to not be anything like my type - he uses constant text speak, wasn't my type looks-wise, not a hell of a lot in common bar a love of science), now have a boyfriend. Going in with a positive attitude can make all the difference.

Necronos wrote: »
    On the flip side reading the same people constantly piss and moan about it is even more annoying.

If its that much of a pain in the hole then why do it at all?

Because it's healthy I think to want to explore why something doesn't particularly work as it should, or at all.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Going in with a positive attitude can make all the difference.

I think that's the very point I'm actually trying to make here. Why are so many people joining a dating site, with what appears to be a serious attitude problem in respect of people that they are trying to attract? I think it's a fair question to ask, and I can't do anything about my gender, as a straight guy, where I'm referring to profiles who are authored by women. Do guys have profiles up where there are a load of silly qualification attached? If so, sure say so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I think that's the very point I'm actually trying to make here. Why are so many people joining a dating site, with what appears to be a serious attitude problem in respect of people that they are trying to attract? I think it's a fair question to ask, and I can't do anything about my gender, as a straight guy, where I'm referring to profiles who are authored by women. Do guys have profiles up where there are a load of silly qualification attached? If so, sure say so...

You're doing the same thing with regards to a lack of a positive attitude, in complaining so much about those people, though. :confused:

If somebody looks like your type, has similar interests and hobbies, but has a profile that turns you off straight away, stop complaining about it. Instead, be glad you're not wasting any time on that person. Turn it into a positive, because your lack of positivity now is the same as those you see on narcissistic profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Date lined up tonight :D.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    You're doing the same thing with regards to a lack of a positive attitude, in complaining so much about those people, though. :confused:

If somebody looks like your type, has similar interests and hobbies, but has a profile that turns you off straight away, stop complaining about it. Instead, be glad you're not wasting any time on that person. Turn it into a positive, because your lack of positivity now is the same as those you see on narcissistic profiles.

That's simply not true. I've had plenty of success with it within the last fortnight (based on having a positive attitude towards it and this was evident in my profile), and if I pursued the dates that had been organised, I'd have been doing little else for the next week other than going on a series of dates. But for me, that really isn't something that I feel comfortable with. Where is the problem with someone saying that on the thread? That there are aspects of OD that do not sit well with someone?

Also, with regard to the frustrations felt where a user has a profile that in one sense ticks a load of boxes, but in another sense, childishly pushes many people away on the basis of a series of petty whims being set out, that also appears to be a norm on the website, where is the problem with commenting upon that, on a thread that is for discussing OD? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

They do but I just pass them by. I don't get hung up with complaining about it.

That's simply not true. I've had plenty of success with it within the last fortnight (based on having a positive attitude towards it and this was evident in my profile), and if I pursued the dates that had been organised, I'd have been doing little else for the next week other than going on a series of dates. But for me, that really isn't something that I feel comfortable with. Where is the problem with someone saying that on the thread? That there are aspects of OD that do not sit well with someone?

Also, with regard to the frustrations felt where a user has a profile that in one sense ticks a load of boxes, but in another sense, childishly pushes many people away on the basis of a series of petty whims being set out, that also appears to be a norm on the website, where is the problem with commenting upon that, on a thread that is for discussing OD? :confused::confused::confused:

I understand the frustration you feel HFC, and i'm sure it must get to you also, seems it does based on a lot of the post's here, but i also see a lot of people offering great advice, and support your way ....

I think the main problem right now is what's generally known as Broken Record Syndrome, yes we get that, these little quirk's annoy you, and others !! but why not just let it go .. i cant see how ranting about it helps on here to anyone, bar getting the other lads riled up also, and in turn we see post's from them giving out that they get on replies what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

I wouldn't be overly concerned with any "petty whims" listed in any profile. Much like people tend to put the very best pictures of them in their profiles, they also tend to overemphasise their strengths and grossly exaggerate their "minimum requirements".

To be perfectly honest, I pay absolutely no attention to such qualifiers. For example, if I like a profile and they say they are looking for someone outside of my age group, I still email them anyway, not mentioning it at all (i.e. not saying "I know you're looking for someone younger/older etc). I would sidestep it altogether and just focus on capturing her imagination and interest. If it's genuinely an issue for them, then they will bring up the subject again in their reply or simply won't write back to you. You'd be surprised how often it's NOT an issue.

Simply put, recognise the absolute bullshit in many profiles, ignore it for the most part and mail whoever you want without any fear.

Remember that everyone is in the same boat, male or female. If anyone was that amazing, they wouldn't be on the site because they would have been snapped up by now! So don't let anyone look down on you or make you feel bad about not living up to superficial expectations!

Why not just arrange one date at a time if you don't want to multi day? That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Just One Q Whats the average age here?? commenting on a post... 30

Just One Q Whats the average age here?? commenting on a post... 30

32 ... for a few more week anyway .. I'd say the average age here is late 20's to mid 30's .. we do have some outside those ages of course...

Why not just arrange one date at a time if you don't want to multi day? That's what I do.

Because for the last 2 weeks I've been using the site, I've been asked out on dates, I'm a slow burner when it comes to this stuff, as much as I enjoyed having the opportunity to explore the possibility of meeting someone, I'm not into meeting different people every day of the week, after an hour of exchanging messages, and doing the whole, "ah nice meeting you but I'm just not into you after having met you...", I'm not into sending those texts or receiving them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having that position on dating in general, in the sense that I'd be cautious when it comes to dating and this is why I imagine I'm identifying the things I am on profiles, a lot of guys would go on dates with these people just for the laugh, I certainly wouldn't, so apologies for having the audacity to be a bit more conservative and "different" than others on here.

Some of the posts on here that I read, seem to be to be strangely resigned to the never ever ending circle of dates that some posters seem to go on, something that could be argued to be boring, without having much to report by way of progress for the time & effort taken up, but you don't see me on the thread basically trying to sideline their opinions, do you?

Remember that everyone is in the same boat, male or female. If anyone was that amazing, they wouldn't be on the site because they would have been snapped up by now! So don't let anyone look down on you or make you feel bad about not living up to superficial expectations!

Firstly, everyone isn't in the same boat because OD is a completely different experience, depending on your gender.

Ehhh that's not actually a problem that I complained about having at all. Nobody has ever made me feel inferior in relation to how I have presented myself, in profile of in person.
    I understand the frustration you feel HFC, and i'm sure it must get to you also, seems it does based on a lot of the post's here, but i also see a lot of people offering great advice, and support your way ....

I think the main problem right now is what's generally known as Broken Record Syndrome, yes we get that, these little quirk's annoy you, and others !! but why not just let it go .. i cant see how ranting about it helps on here to anyone, bar getting the other lads riled up also, and in turn we see post's from them giving out that they get on replies what so ever.

It's not frustration, it's just an attempt at a healthy discussion about the viability of OD, and whether or not it has fault lines that really render it more or less useless for guys, that some folks on here don't seem to be able to handle. It's not about rising people, there is a consistent view (in my opinion), on this thread that OD for guys is about as rewarding as pushing water uphill, and I genuinely don't see where the problem is in exploring why that is so...

Because for the last 2 weeks I've been using the site, I've been asked out on dates, I'm a slow burner when it comes to this stuff, as much as I enjoyed having the opportunity to explore the possibility of meeting someone, I'm not into meeting different people every day of the week, after an hour of exchanging messages, and doing the whole, "ah nice meeting you but I'm just not into you after having met you...", I'm not into sending those texts or receiving them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having that position on dating in general, in the sense that I'd be cautious when it comes to dating and this is why I imagine I'm identifying the things I am on profiles, a lot of guys would go on dates with these people just for the laugh, I certainly wouldn't, so apologies for having the audacity to be a bit more conservative and "different" than others on here.

Some of the posts on here that I read, seem to be to be strangely resigned to the never ever ending circle of dates that some posters seem to go on, something that could be argued to be boring, without having much to report by way of progress for the time & effort taken up, but you don't see me on the thread basically trying to sideline their opinions, do you?

Firstly, everyone isn't in the same boat because OD is a completely different experience, depending on your gender.

Ehhh that's not actually a problem that I complained about having at all. Nobody has ever made me feel inferior in relation to how I have presented myself, in profile of in person.

It's not frustration, it's just an attempt at a healthy discussion about the viability of OD, and whether or not it has fault lines that really render it more or less useless for guys, that some folks on here don't seem to be able to handle. It's not about rising people, there is a consistent view (in my opinion), on this thread that OD for guys is about as rewarding as pushing water uphill, and I genuinely don't see where the problem is in exploring why that is so...

Then only meet people who you want to meet and space dates out. I would be the same and wouldn't be comfortable having a number of dates a week etc so I just don't do it.

I am female and have found the same issues that guys have posted about here. You seem to think women on dating sites have it easy and guys don't. That is not the case.

Maybe OD is just not for you if you are finding it such a negative experience.

Then only meet people who you want to meet and space dates out. I would be the same and wouldn't be comfortable having a number of dates a week etc so I just don't do it.

I am female and have found the same issues that guys have posted about here. You seem to think women on dating sites have it easy and guys don't. That is not the case.

Maybe OD is just not for you if you are finding it such a negative experience.

Possibly, it's just very difficult to get any balance I think, if you are not rushing into dates or running with requests for dates, you are viewed as a timewaster, people using the site seem to have a fairly narrow definition of what OD is all about for them and if you don't fit within that narrow definition, you seem to be flagged as a timewaster or an ego tripper, or whatever.

I'd much rather mailing someone back and forth for a few days, swop numbers, talk to them a few times over the phone, than just arrange to meet someone after 45 minutes of exchanging messages, as seems to be the convention for a lot of people. I know I know I know, why bother drawing it out, just meet them and find out if you get on in person, I see the logic in that argument, but I'd rather be more acquainted with someone before I meet them than just running into things...

• Advertisement

Possibly, it's just very difficult to get any balance I think, if you are not rushing into dates or running with requests for dates, you are viewed as a timewaster, people using the site seem to have a fairly narrow definition of what OD is all about for them and if you don't fit within that narrow definition, you seem to be flagged as a timewaster or an ego tripper, or whatever.

I'd much rather mailing someone back and forth for a few days, swop numbers, talk to them a few times over the phone, than just arrange to meet someone after 45 minutes of exchanging messages, as seems to be the convention for a lot of people. I know I know I know, why bother drawing it out, just meet them and find out if you get on in person, I see the logic in that argument, but I'd rather be more acquainted with someone before I meet them than just running into things...

From my experience mailing for a few weeks before arranging dates is the norm. However, I wouldn't want to talk to someone on the phone before meeting. i would find that awkward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement