Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Larianne wrote: »
    Is there no lakes around there? What do tourists do? Do that! :D

They go to the Information office, find out there's nothing to do, then go to Derry. :D

There are things like climb Mount Errigal, go to Glenveagh National Park(really nice place to walk around) But for something like first or second date, I wouldn't really want to do anything too far out of town because I just find being in the car with someone can be awkward, mainly because I seem to get all serious behind the wheel, probably due to concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They go to the Information office, find out there's nothing to do, then go to Derry. :D

There are things like climb Mount Errigal, go to Glenveagh National Park(really nice place to walk around) But for something like first or second date, I wouldn't really want to do anything too far out of town because I just find being in the car with someone can be awkward, mainly because I seem to get all serious behind the wheel, probably due to concentration.

Oh, so this lady was saying for first date ideas? Eh, cafe or pub. A walk somewhere. The usual, no? If that was her first response, could you be bothered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Did anyone have any dates over the weekend? Any stories tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

mood wrote: »

Untitled-1.jpg

Came across a guys profile that actually says:

"you have a filter on who can contact you, please remove it :)"

Does he not know that people use filters so that they won't get contacted by people who they feel would be unsuitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Had 4th date during the week. Not 4th date of the week which someone asked me. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

After going on a good 5 dates over the past 6 weeks or so, have now emailed approx 25 different women, without a single reply.

I'm early 30s, good-looking (been told I'm an '8'), work out, have lots of stuff going on. All emails referenced something from their profile, couple of paragraphs, nice and breezy and cheerful.

Just don't come looking for me when you're 35 and wondering 'where have all the decent men gone'....!!

riveratom wrote: »
    After going on a good 5 dates over the past 6 weeks or so, have now emailed approx 25 different women, without a single reply.

I'm early 30s, good-looking (been told I'm an '8'), work out, have lots of stuff going on. All emails referenced something from their profile, couple of paragraphs, nice and breezy and cheerful.

Just don't come looking for me when you're 35 and wondering 'where have all the decent men gone'....!!

But you went on 5 dates! I am right to assume these were with women you meet through a dating site? 5 dates in 6 weeks is doing very well I think.

But you went on 5 dates! I am right to assume these were with women you meet through a dating site? 5 dates in 6 weeks is doing very well I think.

This is true :)

I'm actually not complaining, the above is meant as more tongue in cheek :) Also I think most of the women haven't even visited my profile, suppose I also need to give it time too. Maybe!

Yep all bar one was via online dating, 3 via a paid site, the other via OkC. The first one was following a dating event.

The OkC girl was basically a model too (2 dates), so I am defo not complaining.

This is true :)

I'm actually not complaining, the above is meant as more tongue in cheek :) Also I think most of the women haven't even visited my profile, suppose I also need to give it time too. Maybe!

Yep all bar one was via online dating, 3 via a paid site, the other via OkC. The first one was following a dating event.

The OkC girl was basically a model too (2 dates), so I am defo not complaining.

They may not have logged in since you emailed. Or some people simple might read email if someone is out of the age bracked or a certain location. Give it time. It's on line dating not instant dating as one boardie put it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Looks like I can close my profile. :D

Success!

Varied wrote: »
    Looks like I can close my profile. :D

Success!

Great. Tell us more? What site did you use etc?

Great. Tell us more? What site did you use etc?

POF, she didn't have much on the profile but she was very chatty when I messaged her. Shes also 6ft lol :D which is unbelievable since I have a serious thing for tall girls.

We went to sandymount and sat at the beach for about and hour or so chatting, went out then for a drink or two and went to hers afters.

Lucked out I guess, she's gorgeous and she's feckin great Craic. She's coming over to mine tonight so it looks like its cool.

Can't believe it came from online dating. Seriously can't. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Northclare, I like to have a drink and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my date doesn't drink. Actually think there could be a good few pluses. Anyway don't nind her, sounds like a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Been mailing a girl back n' forth for a while now. Just realised she's on the other side of the country :o
    Bah, serves me right for not checking location. I just assume people who show up in my matches live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

When it comes to online dating, good looks can often work against you!

EVen though most people these days have given it a go, there is still an unfortunate stigma regarding online dating. People tend to believe that people (especially guys) only try it because they can't get attract women and get dates otherwise.

As a result, many women can be suspicious if you appear "too good to be true" - i.e. tall, good looking, well-read, ticking all the boxes etc etc.

Couple with this with the fact that there sadly are plenty of false profiles online and it only adds to the confusion! I have been emailed countless times by girls asking "Is that your real photo?"

One thing I'd suggest is to have more than one photo of yourself on your profile page, and not just headshots. The more variety in your pics, the more "three-dimensional" and "real" you become in the eyes of the person viewing your profile for the first time.

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh, so this lady was saying for first date ideas? Eh, cafe or pub. A walk somewhere. The usual, no? If that was her first response, could you be bothered?

She messaged me first but I didn't reply due to the fact it was mostly in text spek, crap grammar, bad punctuation combined with the fact her profile said she enjoyed the student lifestyle despite not being a student and being 32.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Been mailing a girl back n' forth for a while now. Just realised she's on the other side of the country :o
    Bah, serves me right for not checking location. I just assume people who show up in my matches live in Dublin.

Most sites allow you to determine the settings in terms of the location of people who email you, i.e. "must not live more than 50 miles away" etc.

When it comes to online dating, good looks can often work against you!

EVen though most people these days have given it a go, there is still an unfortunate stigma regarding online dating. People tend to believe that people (especially guys) only try it because they can't get attract women and get dates otherwise.

As a result, many women can be suspicious if you appear "too good to be true" - i.e. tall, good looking, well-read, ticking all the boxes etc etc.

Couple with this with the fact that there sadly are plenty of false profiles online and it only adds to the confusion! I have been emailed countless times by girls asking "Is that your real photo?"

One thing I'd suggest is to have more than one photo of yourself on your profile page, and not just headshots. The more variety in your pics, the more "three-dimensional" and "real" you become in the eyes of the person viewing your profile for the first time.

Yeah, well I'm not tall but everything else is good :)

I think you just never know what someone is thinking, which is why I take it all with a pinch of salt. I also think it's all very dependent on people's past experiences and their perception of the whole thing.

For example, I was dating a girl last month, everything was going great up until the very end. Nice few dates, good craic, definite attraction. On the last date she was saying that she liked me and was asking 'how are you single' and stuff, as in why my friends hadn't set me up with someone, etc. Then it was over the next week!

So I suppose there can always be more to situations that meets the eye.

Most sites allow you to determine the settings in terms of the location of people who email you, i.e. "must not live more than 50 miles away" etc.

I actually mailed her first. In my search criteria I had it down as within 5 miles of Dublin. Must have been a glitch or something.

• Advertisement

I actually mailed her first. In my search criteria I had it down as within 5 miles of Dublin. Must have been a glitch or something.

Well just because you don't allow girls who are more than 5 miles away to contact you doesn't mean you can't contact them! ;)

Her settings will determine what emails she choose to get and not get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Congratulations on getting a lady on POF, and particularly well done on finding a tall one.

Most that I message/message me are less than 5ft3.....women say the same about the men too!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Congratulations on getting a lady on POF, and particularly well done on finding a tall one.

Most that I message/message me are less than 5ft3.....women say the same about the men too!

What's wrong with women under 5 ft 3??

I didn't plan it or put a preference on tall women as I don't think it's fair to judge someone on height. It's just a like I have.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Sore necks for both parties? :P
    For example, I was dating a girl last month, everything was going great up until the very end. Nice few dates, good craic, definite attraction. On the last date she was saying that she liked me and was asking 'how are you single' and stuff, as in why my friends hadn't set me up with someone, etc. Then it was over the next week!

Oddly, that's one thing that never happens with me. Setups I mean. Maybe my friends don't dislike anyone enough to inflict me upon them. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

Here's a quick review of some of the online sites I'm a member of (yes, I'm a member of them all!). It's by no means definitive, just my opinion based on my experiences, so feel free to share your own experiences on the site. It might be useful for people who are curious about online dating and don't know where to start.

POF.com/Plentyoffish.com - I like this site a lot because it is extremely user-friendly. Being a free site, there are loads of people from Ireland, specifically Dublin on it. I've met hundreds of girls and guys from POF over the last year through the Singles Nights I organise. Trust me when I say that there actually IS a lot of very cool girls and guys on the site!:)

They changed the Instant Messenger on it a few months ago, which was a big mistake in my opinion. It doesn't work as well as the previous one they had and often you can lose connection. Since it's free, you have anyone and everyone on the site. This is more a problem for women who sadly have to put up with receving obscene messages from facelss strangers who essentially cut and paste the same filthy message to every profile they see in hope of a taker. The upside of that is that if you are a genuine guy, the women you speak to via the site will appreciate you even more.

Match.com - this is a paid site and a pretty good one. Each day, they recommend 6 potential matches for you, based on your preferences. It also notifies you in real time when someone is looking at your profile, i.e. XXXXX is looking at your profile now. This is a good feature because it allows you to strike when the iron is hot and email that person right away while you are fresh in their mind. Often people look at profiles, meaning to write to that person, but forget to do so and they end up too distracted to do so amongst all the other emails they get. So I think it's good to take the initiative and this feature helps a lot. The site could use a forum though.

Zoosk.com - This is a site I don't like at all. I joined up as a paid member, assuming that there would be lots more options available to me, compared to when I was a free members. There isn't and it's not a user friendly site at all. To me, it's a very confused mix between Facebook and a dating site. It doesn't work for me at all, through I have had a few good dates from it.

Anotherfriend.com - this used to be a very good site. New people took it over, though, and have absolutely ruined it. The worst feature is that new members, even free members, are allowed to broadcast a mass message out to everybody on the site. As a result, your inbox is full of messages from people who have not even read your profile, saying stuff like "Hi, I'm new to the site and looking to meet a nice guy" etc. Essentially much of the time you spend on the site will be deleting emails like this from your inbox. Extremely annoying and totally unneccessary. :mad:

Badoo: This site is a little like Zoosk but a lot, lot better in my opinion. Again, it's like a mix between a social networking site and a dating site. It's free so worth joining. I have met some cool people through the site. The chat features allows you to chat to many people individually at the same time, which is a good feature.

Eharmony - this is very different from most sites and its hook is that it concentrates on improving the quality of your dates as opposed to the quantity. I believe this is aimed at appealing to the female market, especially those disattisfied with the results they've been getting from online dating. Completing your profile involves answeriing lots of questions, which will then be used to compare against the answers of your potential matches. For example, if a girl likes your profile, she might message you with a request to answer 3 questions. Questions can range from "Would you forgive a partner for cheating on you?" to the much more crucial "Toilet roll: Over or Under?" :D

OkCupid: this is a free site and a very good one indeed. It shares many of the features of POF, but without a chat forum. It doesn't really miss one though. The search features are excellent and the quality of the users, male and female, is very good.

To conclude, I'd recommend starting of with POF and/or OKCupid and seeing how you get on. After that, check out the other options. People who join the paid sites tend to be more serious about dating so often the quality of their emails will be better. They will probably be more likely to actually want to meet up rather than just chat endlessly if they are paying €20 a month+ to be a member of the site!

Hope that helps!

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Am seriously considering closing my POF account. No messages whatsoever on it.

Sore necks for both parties? :-P

How tall are you? I'm very short and like men of all heights but I am particularly attracted to tall men...

I have gone out with men over a foot taller than me before :-P

Sore necks for both parties? :-P

How tall are you? I'm very short and like men of all heights but I am particularly attracted to tall men...

I have gone out with men over a foot taller than me before :-P

• Advertisement

Well just because you don't allow girls who are more than 5 miles away to contact you doesn't mean you can't contact them! ;)

Her settings will determine what emails she choose to get and not get.

Search criteria, not mail criteria. My point is I didn't expect profiles from so far away to appear in my searches so wasn't keeping vigilant for such. Lesson learned I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement