Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Ankhyu wrote: »
    LoTwan wrote: »
    What distance are you taking about?

Well he lives about 3 hours away, but he'll be closer for the summer months, about an hour and a half which is quite good! :)

Hmmm... That would be too far for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Hmmm... That would be too far for me :(

I could probably manage that distance over the summer months, but I don't know otherwise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here's one of the main problems of online dating: looking at people/profiles as commodities.
    We suggest that the failure of online dating sites to live up to user expectations is due in part to a funda- mental gap between the kinds of information people both want and need to determine whether someone is a good romantic match and the kind of information available on online dating profiles.

Might be a bit too academic psychology though!

This is better - same professor, just talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

coco_lola wrote: »
    Yeah, majority of women who use that quote are total drama queens anyway!

On that note, what is the deal with this "YOLO" craze circulating profiles (and Facebook pages)?? It's very annoying :mad:

A quick google shows Drake uses that line in his rap song :rolleyes:

What a stupid sheep like thing to be saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

According to a guy who messaged me, YOLO = Carpe Diem for dummies! That alone got him a reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭charman

you only live once

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Profiles deleted. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I joined a different site last night. Within a few minutes of signing up I was getting girls viewing my profile, winking at me and two sent me emails. I remember thinking "This must be what it feels like to be a girl joining an internet dating site" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Congrats LoTwan... Another one bites the dust... I'm jealous :p

Nice one.

It's an enjoyable feeling to delete your profile as you've met someone, as opposed to deleting them out of frustration. Unfortunately I mostly have experience of the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Congratulations. :)

Have to say... Trying to delete your profile is a right pain.

"Are you sure you want to delete your POF account?"

"Are you really sure?"

"Ah go on.. Stay. Sure write your testimonial there"

"Come on. Don't leave us."

"If you're that sure... Alright enter your password there. If you happen to forget it, you'll have to stay. Sure what's the point in entering unneccesary numbers/letters. It's not worth the hassle.. Stay."

hammer-to-computer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

G-Money wrote: »
    I thought so but she just text again there now asking the same thing.

Why don't you do the decent thing and tell her you've no interest instead of ignoring her texts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Nothing bad happened per se, or anything at all really, it's just that it seems like a lot of effort for little or no reward.

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when I read that Marilyn Monroe quote?
    The exact same could apply to men. I should add it to my profile.

+1
    It sounds retarded.Anyone with that on their profile instantly gets rejected.Another thing that bug me and seems to be on the rise is members uploading the most random pictures on their profiles.Pictures that I came across today include a castle,whale(maybe that's what she looks like?),and a bottle of makeup(wtf?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm thinking of rejoining POF. Talk me out of it, please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm thinking of rejoining POF. Talk me out of it, please!

Stay with on-line dating, do not rejoin POF. It just seems to be getting worse by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

What would people recommend instead of POF then?

What would people recommend instead of POF then?

I used OK Cupid. It's got a smaller pool of people but the calibre of profile is an awful lot better imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

So I deleted my profiles last night as I am leaving the country in a month or so (just recently found out) and I don't think it's fair to people.

P.S. My Marilyn quote (in my sig, would never put it on a online dating profile) is tongue in cheek

Daisies wrote: »
    So I deleted my profiles last night as I am leaving the country in a month or so (just recently found out) and I don't think it's fair to people.

P.S. My Marilyn quote (in my sig, would never put it on a online dating profile) is tongue in cheek

They could always fly out to Malawi to meet you. :D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Why don't you do the decent thing and tell her you've no interest instead of ignoring her texts?

Probably because she has text'd several times giving me ultimatums and text last week asking me to delete her detatils (which I had done several weeks in advance) and wishing me the best. And the text day text me again and has twice since.

It's not like we met up or even spoke on the phone, just sent a few texts.

I'm definitely not contacting her.

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    Probably because she has text'd several times giving me ultimatums and text last week asking me to delete her detatils (which I had done several weeks in advance) and wishing me the best. And the text day text me again and has twice since.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Think Im going to delete my pof profile later, might give ok cupid a look though. Or else just take a break from on line dating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

blacklilly wrote: »
    Think Im going to delete my pof profile later, might give ok cupid a look though. Or else just take a break from on line dating

At least you have made your mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

El_Drago wrote: »
    Another thing that bug me and seems to be on the rise is members uploading the most random pictures on their profiles.Pictures that I came across today include a castle,whale(maybe that's what she looks like?),and a bottle of makeup(wtf?).

People that put up animals/cars on their profile...I actually have the following written on my profile:

"If your profile contains a picture of a car/motorbike, I WILL assume you are a transformer".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

People that put up animals/cars on their profile...I actually have the following written on their profile:

"If your profile contains a picture of a car/motorbike, I WILL assume you are a transformer".

:pac:

HAHA brilliant :P

in other news, i deleted my profile yesterday.things progressing quite nicely with himself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Signed up to that okcupid site. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Varied wrote: »
    Signed up to that okcupid site. Fingers crossed.

Same here! Best of luck

Everyone gives great reviews about OKC, but I actually think the opposite. Granted, there aren't a whole pile of great ones on POF (you really have to weed out the "sup sxciii" and "hey ows u xxxx"), but on OKC it's like tumbleweed around there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Everyone gives great reviews about OKC, but I actually think the opposite. Granted, there aren't a whole pile of great ones on POF (you really have to weed out the "sup sxciii" and "hey ows u xxxx"), but on OKC it's like tumbleweed around there!

The OKC layout and question systems are good but yes its very bare profile wise in comparison to POF

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    The OKC layout and question systems are good but yes its very bare profile wise in comparison to POF

I just do the questions and tests for funsies :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement