Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Larianne wrote: »
    I decided to give a guy the benefit of the doubt once and within 5 minutes of mailing back and worth turned out he was 'horny'. :cool:

I think if someone starts off a conversation with just "Hi" in the message when there are numerous interests/hobbies/statements on a profile to comment on/question, they're not worth messaging back.

I have to disagree. I went on a few date with guy who just sent 'hi' messages or possible a bit more. They were very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I decided to give a guy the benefit of the doubt once and within 5 minutes of mailing back and worth turned out he was 'horny'. :cool:

I think if someone starts off a conversation with just "Hi" in the message when there are numerous interests/hobbies/statements on a profile to comment on/question, they're not worth messaging back.

More than a bit harsh. You're making an assumption that may or may not be based on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

mood wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I went on a few date with guy who just sent 'hi' messages or possible a bit more. They were very nice guy.

Fair enough, you met a nice guy that way. I just wouldn't waste my time replying to numerous "Hi" messages hoping that one of them would turn out to be a nice guy. I hid my profile for a good while to avoid those mails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Tell us more. I could do with a laugh :D

Jaysus glad I'm some entertainment anyway :pac:

Let's see. Swapped nums last Thursday was going grand few days, had a good laugh and banter she seemed cute and really good fun. Then on Saturday got chit chatting about how long been single, blah blah blah all that stuff :rolleyes:

She goes on about some lad she was seeing for last year but wouldn't commit to her. I was asking if they've been in touch lately, she said only one in last while since she was back from hols.

Anyway alarm bells ring in my head and I said ok sure if its a thing you and he have unfinished business its grand I don't want to get in the way. Anyway the dramatics have unfolded now, she's not sure what she wants, she's afraid of being hurt cause her ex dumped her via text, the whole lot. Says she really into me and is afraid I'll dump her and hurt her or she'll hurt me :rolleyes:

Said she needs time to think. I didn't leave it that long admittedly, only a day and a bit, but I haven't the energy to wait around on what seems to be a messer. So just FB messaged saying it's grand leave it. Then she says she hasn't made up her mind, but I'm obviously giving up on her ffs :rolleyes:

Anyway chit chat on FB. Says she's scared just wishes we could meet. Grand says I we can, she kinda avoided it for a bit, then agrees. I'm thinking maybe she is really worried about getting hurt so a quick coffee might help her get things in perspective if we get on. We talk about meeting halfway, she doesn't know when she can. Has no cash to afford to tax car, hasn't even been able to go out to meet friends cause her hols left her strapped and all that. I offer to drive to her she seems ok with that then says maybe I can meet you halfway she might be able to borrow her dads car. I said if you can't so will I drive out to ya, she says she'd prefer meet halfway as she'd feel awful making me drive a couple of hours leave it with her.

I said grand, I've made all the effort I can (too fcuking much effort at that) get in touch if you know the story.

So thankfully I think thats all I hear :D Cause it's either I'm being put on the back burner for some shaper that was happy to use her for a year but not get with her or she really genuinely has a few issues from past relationships. I'm glad it only took a day or so for it all to come out.

Jesus I need a drink :pac:

Herrick wrote: »
    Jaysus glad I'm some entertainment anyway :pac:

Let's see. Swapped nums last Thursday was going grand few days, had a good laugh and banter she seemed cute and really good fun. Then on Saturday got chit chatting about how long been single, blah blah blah all that stuff :rolleyes:

She goes on about some lad she was seeing for last year but wouldn't commit to her. I was asking if they've been in touch lately, she said only one in last while since she was back from hols.

Anyway alarm bells ring in my head and I said ok sure if its a thing you and he have unfinished business its grand I don't want to get in the way. Anyway the dramatics have unfolded now, she's not sure what she wants, she's afraid of being hurt cause her ex dumped her via text, the whole lot. Says she really into me and is afraid I'll dump her and hurt her or she'll hurt me :rolleyes:

Said she needs time to think. I didn't leave it that long admittedly, only a day and a bit, but I haven't the energy to wait around on what seems to be a messer. So just FB messaged saying it's grand leave it. Then she says she hasn't made up her mind, but I'm obviously giving up on her ffs :rolleyes:

Anyway chit chat on FB. Says she's scared just wishes we could meet. Grand says I we can, she kinda avoided it for a bit, then agrees. I'm thinking maybe she is really worried about getting hurt so a quick coffee might help her get things in perspective if we get on. We talk about meeting halfway, she doesn't know when she can. Has no cash to afford to tax car, hasn't even been able to go out to meet friends cause her hols left her strapped and all that. I offer to drive to her she seems ok with that then says maybe I can meet you halfway she might be able to borrow her dads car. I said if you can't so will I drive out to ya, she says she'd prefer meet halfway as she'd feel awful making me drive a couple of hours leave it with her.

I said grand, I've made all the effort I can (too fcuking much effort at that) get in touch if you know the story.

So thankfully I think thats all I hear :D Cause it's either I'm being put on the back burner for some shaper that was happy to use her for a year but not get with her or she really genuinely has a few issues from past relationships. I'm glad it only took a day or so for it all to come out.

Jesus I need a drink :pac:

Run this way Herrick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement

@ Herrick

What the hell is she doing on a dating site! Bullet dodged. She sounds very childish.

In bed sick so need some entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I can't run Tom, I think I need to lay down after all that drama :p

Ah poor you Mood, hope my escapades have put a smile on your face :p

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

It's a pity you'd a bad experience but some people are really shy or not very good with initiating conversation online or by text. My last boyfriend was terrible at texting but great in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm sure there are some lovely people on OD sites who send messages which just say, "Hi", but for me personally, that's off-putting. I really do appreciate when a guy puts some effort into the mail and I will always reply to those, but a simple 'hello' doesn't do it for me. Different strokes and all that.

Novella wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some lovely people on OD sites who send messages which just say, "Hi", but for me personally, that's off-putting. I really do appreciate when a guy puts some effort into the mail and I will always reply to those, but a simple 'hello' doesn't do it for me. Different strokes and all that.

I used a paid site so probably didn't get the volume of mails that other get on the free sites. After disregarding mails from unsuitable guys (age/location/etc) I had little option but to see where the 'hi' messages went. I was glad I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You know a lot of guys will fly solo when it comes to OD. I mean they wouldn't necessarily talk to friends or come to places like Boards to waffle about it and learn the taboo that it really is. I wouldn't be quick to assume that all "Hi" guys are mopes. I think a lot of them must be shy or private AND genuine...

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    It's a pity you'd a bad experience but some people are really shy or not very good with initiating conversation online or by text. My last boyfriend was terrible at texting but great in person.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    You know a lot of guys will fly solo when it comes to OD. I mean they wouldn't necessarily talk to friends or come to places like Boards to waffle about it and learn the taboo that it really is. I wouldn't be quick to assume that all "Hi" guys are mopes. I think a lot of them must be shy or private AND genuine...

This may be true, but in my experience, any of those guys I replied to the conversation never really went anywhere. The "Hi" message was followed by "How are you?" or "Been on this site long?" or "How are you finding the site?". It's annoying when you're laid out various conversation starters on your profile. Sometimes guys didn't even read my profile.

In comparsion, I usually had long conservations and/or had dates with guys who commented on one or two things on my profile.

I do agree cantdecide, that I think some people don't really know how to approach online dating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

cantdecide wrote: »
    I wouldn't be quick to assume that all "Hi" guys are mopes. I think a lot of them must be shy or private AND genuine...

The "Hi, how are you," messages are just a lazy attempt at starting a conversation. Shyness surely wouldn't be an issue when you're behind a computer screen either.
    in my experience, any of those guys I replied to the conversation never really went anywhere. The "Hi" message was followed by "How are you?" or "Been on this site long?" or "How are you finding the site?".

I've had the same experience. It's the same with some of the women who only reply to messages with 1 or 2 words. It's difficult to get any sort of conversation flowing. Both parties need to make an effort.

This may be true, but in my experience, any of those guys I replied to the conversation never really went anywhere. The "Hi" message was followed by "How are you?" or "Been on this site long?" or "How are you finding the site?". It's annoying when you're laid out various conversation starters on your profile. Sometimes guys didn't even read my profile.

In comparsion, I usually had long conservations and/or had dates with guys who commented on one or two things on my profile.

I do agree cantdecide, that I think some people don't really know how to approach online dating.

Would you suggest a coffee at that point, no? I know some people want to establish a rapport in email/via text first but if I had engaged with someone, however superficially, I would probably chance meeting them to see was there a spark.

Should online dating be approached differently to 'real-life'? I'm not sure. If I were in a pub and a guy strolled up to me and said 'Hi' and I liked the look of him I'd take it further. Online dating is only different in some people's minds, I think, because of the profile. But some people just aren't any good at writing them and some people will ignore them entirely and only email people they're attracted to. Should you have a certain amount of things in common first before you meet?

In a club situation I wouldn't stop someone trying to chat me up and say, 'Hang on, have we enough in common first?'. I understand a rapport is important but sometimes there'll be a spark in person with someone that might not exist via email. My ex was so atrocious at texting I used to wonder if he had any real interest at all. Then in person we had so much chemistry it was ridiculous. We didn't have much in common either, so if we had judged each-other by online profiles we probably wouldn't have met. If I had relied on his crap texting as an indicator of his interest I would have cut ties and never had a great relationship.

This isn't all directed at you Larianne, just wondering this for a while and your post prompted me to say it, so sorry if it seems like I'm jumping at you! It really isn't intended that way! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Guess who's back on OKCupid? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

G-Money wrote: »

goes to check new users ;)

G-Money wrote: »

Jessica Alba?

Would you suggest a coffee at that point, no? I know some people want to establish a rapport in email/via text first but if I had engaged with someone, however superficially, I would probably chance meeting them to see was there a spark.

Sorry, ViveLaVie, I'm not sure what part of my post you are referring to with this question?
    Should online dating be approached differently to 'real-life'? I'm not sure. If I were in a pub and a guy strolled up to me and said 'Hi' and I liked the look of him I'd take it further. Online dating is only different in some people's minds, I think, because of the profile. But some people just aren't any good at writing them and some people will ignore them entirely and only email people they're attracted to. Should you have a certain amount of things in common first before you meet?

Difference with a 'real-life' situation is that you have things like body language, tone of voice, use of language etc. to help you gain an idea of a person in those split seconds of meeting.

In theory, it should be easier to make contact with someone online as the person they are contacting have laid out a list of their interests, hobbies and personality compared to just meeting in a bar and trying to think of something to 'break the ice'.
    In a club situation I wouldn't stop someone trying to chat me up and say, 'Hang on, have we enough in common first?'. I understand a rapport is important but sometimes there'll be a spark in person with someone that might not exist via email. My ex was so atrocious at texting I used to wonder if he had any real interest at all. Then in person we had so much chemistry it was ridiculous. We didn't have much in common either, so if we had judged each-other by online profiles we probably wouldn't have met. If I had relied on his crap texting as an indicator of his interest I would have cut ties and never had a great relationship.

And that's the annoying thing with online dating!! A spark might not exist online but could if you happened to meet when out and about. But then again, it might not! Also, the opposite can happen - get on really well via mail/text and then when you meet, not much there at all.
    This isn't all directed at you Larianne, just wondering this for a while and your post prompted me to say it, so sorry if it seems like I'm jumping at you! It really isn't intended that way! :o

Ah, I know. This is a discussion forum :)

Sorry, ViveLaVie, I'm not sure what part of my post you are referring to with this question?

Sorry, I meant after exchanging a few generic messages. I assume if you are mailing that something about each-other has attracted ye already, be that the picture or something in the profile. The 'hey how are you' messages might be boring but maybe if ye met in person ye would get on well?

Difference with a 'real-life' situation is that you have things like body language, tone of voice, use of language etc. to help you gain an idea of a person in those split seconds of meeting.

In theory, it should be easier to make contact with someone online as the person they are contacting have laid out a list of their interests, hobbies and personality compared to just meeting in a bar and trying to think of something to 'break the ice'.

That's exactly my point. In a mail or a text you don't have any of those cues so it makes it much harder to get a sense of who someone is, to the point where people will dismiss people for less than they would in real life IMO.

I once had a great rapport texting with a guy. When we met up we were on completely different wavelengths. I've also had occasions where I've found texting someone so boring but have been really excited to be around them in person.

I think the list of hobbies etc is a guide only and can sometimes make it more difficult to meet people. You might be a perfect match with someone on paper but horrible together in reality. When it's reduced to matching up hobbies and interests I think it can go wrong. Some of the best couples are total opposites.

And that's the annoying thing with online dating!! A spark might not exist online but could if you happened to meet when out and about. But then again, it might not! Also, the opposite can happen - get on really well via mail/text and then when you meet, not much there at all.

That's why I think meeting up with someone soon or responding to 'Hi' messages might be worth it.

Ah, I know. This is a discussion forum :)

Anyone else wanna weigh in?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I dunno, an online profile at least gives some indication of how someone is. There are some crazy profiles on POF, mine could be seen as "not putting in the effort" for a profile, but I find it hard to take it all seriously. I think my approach is all wrong....

• Advertisement

S

That's exactly my point. In a mail or a text you don't have any of those cues so it makes it much harder to get a sense of who someone is, to the point where people will dismiss people for less than they would in real life IMO.

Anyone else wanna weigh in?? :D

No no. Carry on, shur :D

The thing about online profiles is that there's no mystery and no discovery. You put your best foot forward in a one page advertisement. If you aren't 'out there' in your profile, you come across as dull. IRL, you get the chance to show someone your 'true' self at a reasonable pace (assuming you meet certain other standards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Piliger wrote: »
    I am getting frustrated with girls who reply that they don't think we have much in common. What I don't like about it is this clothes rack shopping style of dating. In real life a lot of the best couple and relationships come from people who don't share loads of common interests. I really think it is a mistaken strategy to actively count how many things you have in common. Also people often fail to list everything .. I mean who can think of them ... often they are just so part of your life that they don't come to mind.

God, I'd find it awful hard to think of anything myself and himself have in common. :o And sure we still get on great!

Actually, a guy who had lots in common with me - I think I'd find him pretty boring?! Sure what's there to learn about, then?

'Twould be no fun ... like, I'd have no interest in dating a male version of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

On OKC - sent messages ... what is the smily that turns red if you click on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

some people will only email people they're attracted to.

Is there much point in emailing someone you're not attracted to though? Not to sound shallow, but are looks not more important than someone's hobbies or interests? Maybe men and women are just different that way. I think most men would rather message an attractive girl with nothing in common, than message a girl they didn't find attractive with similar interests.

In theory it should be easier. At least with the online dating you know what the people are there for. In a bar or club the people you approach may already have girlfriends or boyfriends, or they're simply not interested in meeting anyone.

I met a girl recently from POF. We had a couple of chats on Skype before we met up. Kind of like a test date. I find this helps as you can hear the person and get a better look at them. Sometimes profile photos can be flattering, cropped or even photo-shopped to make them look better. Although a lot of people are reluctant to use Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The problem I find with online dating when creating the profile is trying to weigh seriosuness with humour. Want to show you're taking the OD things seriously, but don't want the profile to seem like a CV with none of your personality coming across.

I would like to meet in person sooner rather than later. You get a better feel for the person then. As the saying goes "Know your audience". And if you leave it too long the messages wil become shorter and weather related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Set up a pof profile there. Interface is awful. Started looking through the meet me feature lazily clicking through, not realising that it immediately sent a notification to the other user. Feck I totally wasn't paying attention when I started using that :D

So I messaged a few of the girls and asked a few questions. I still feel like a bit of a dick for using that stupid meet me thing. I also came across a girl that I recognise from college a few years back, always fancied her but never had the courage to act on it. Sent her a message too :o

Slightly terrified/excited by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

hasn't posted since his impromptu date on Saturday! (that could be a good or bad thing! :pac:)
    Maybe he is still on his date.

:D

Maybe he dayudd :(

I have to admit though, the idea of a woman taller then me is a little scary for some reason!

My last girlfriend was taller than me. I know a lot of people find that weird, but hey that's their problem. I was quite happy dating a girl that looked like a model. :P
    Herrick wrote: »
    Says she really into me and is afraid I'll dump her and hurt her or she'll hurt me :rolleyes:

Ah, one of THOSE people. In the business, we call them lunatics.

re: "Hi" messages etc.
    I must admit when I started out with OD I sent a few of them. I only know it's considered a big no no because of this thread to be honest. My thinking was that is how you start a conversation in real life (as opposed to walking up to a girl in a bar and saying, "I see you like Batman, I too like Batman...")
    Ah well, the difference between online and IRL I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anybody else getting lots of ads for dog training on POF??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anybody else getting lots of ads for dog training on POF??? :confused:

Dafuq?!

• Advertisement

Tiiiiiiiiiired of the pub scene!!!

That is all! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement