Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Eeeekkkkk meeting up with a guy tonight from online, have NO IDEA what to do....also really havent been talking to him for that long..so I am really really really nervous!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

<mod snip>

To me, dating is a 1:1 personal thing, I'm not into the communal/speed dating thing where you're in a room full of people looking for the same thing as you. OD can work fine for me, but I do have to take a particular approach with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Eeeekkkkk meeting up with a guy tonight from online, have NO IDEA what to do....also really havent been talking to him for that long..so I am really really really nervous!!!!!!!

Woohoo first date!! You will be grand. You will probably find that you just fall into chat quite easily. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Anyone recommend a nice coffee place that will be open a little later this evening in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Anyone recommend a nice coffee place that will be open a little later this evening in Dublin city centre?

There's a starbucks off college green , with seat's out side, you might be lucky and get the weather.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Anyone dating it up this weekend?

Yurp. :)
    ..It's not nerves, it's just the idea of possibly going from single to not single, even just sticking my toe in the water is enough to make me shudder these days, I've gotten so used to doing my own thing and basically being able to do as I will without having to factor someone else into the equation.

I get what you're saying, but isn't that the joy of life, taking risks and see how you get on. It stops life being boring. :)
    I'm at my worst when I'm trying to approach getting ready, I feel like I'm on my way out the door to a wedding or something, having not met the person before, you start thinking, "what the fúck am I at here at all?!?"...

The problem when it comes to OD, just speaking for myself really is that you're putting in this big effort to present yourself well on an actual date, and when it's an OD, there's no avoiding the reality that because you haven't met the other person, there could just be nothing at all there...

Ha, I've felt like that many of times! I think when you've gone on a number of dates where they amounted to nothing you do wonder "what's the point?". Don't really have any advice to give you? Keep on truckin....?

Not sure about coffee, but the Tea Gardens is open until 11pm. I haven't been but a friend has gone there on a few dates and recommends it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

They are not cafes but you can get coffee at places like The Bailey and sit at tables outside.

I would love to see late night cafes open in Dublin because I really think there is a demand for at least one top-notch one in the city centre.

One thing that Dublin could really do with for dating purposes is a boat that you'd see on the Senne in Paris, I'd love to do a romance night time cruise up the Liffey, out into Dublin Bay and back, a one hour trip or something like that, before a dinner date.

EDIT: Obviously with your date on the cruise as part of the date, not me just going for a cruise up the Liffey before a date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I signed up to a site I used to use for a laugh years ago. Really surprised at the amount of responses I'm getting tbh.

3 or 4 girls started messaging me first and I've only been on a day or so.

This wasn't supposed to happen!

One girl in particular seems kick ass, definitely going to ask her if I can buy her a coffee. Seems like someone I'd be chuffed to have as a friend even, so nothing to lose really from my perspective.

I signed up to a site I used to use for a laugh years ago. Really surprised at the amount of responses I'm getting tbh.

3 or 4 girls started messaging me first and I've only been on a day or so.

This wasn't supposed to happen!

One girl in particular seems kick ass, definitely going to ask her if I can buy her a coffee. Seems like someone I'd be chuffed to have as a friend even, so nothing to lose really from my perspective.

I'm surprised at the number of new messages I'm getting from women, most are nice and are conversational enough, I get the odd, "hi" but have to say, most are chatty and entertaining first messages!

• Advertisement

I've just put €20 on my O2 Visa Debit card to entertain myself for a few hours, so it's either renew my Match.Com subscription for a month or else have a bit of a quick date with PaddyPowerPoker, haha bit of a no brainer really! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm surprised at the number of new messages I'm getting from women, most are nice and are conversational enough, I get the odd, "hi" but have to say, most are chatty and entertaining first messages!

Seems the women folk have realised there's plenty of us normals on the internet now. stayed up til 2 am talking to her, was win.

I've honestly always preferred chatting to girls online before I meet them. Gives you a great opportunity to get a measure of their personality, which normally you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe they've been reading this thread lately! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Which site?

Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe they've been reading this thread lately! :)

Have to say, what started off as an annoying experience has settled down into something that isn't annoying the absolute fúck out of me, as it clearly was doing at the start a few weeks ago. I'm chatting to some women on the site and if the dates worked out ok, I'd be happy to get into a relationship with any one of them. I do find it hard to put the initial effort in though, but that's just me...

EDIT: Had to add the word "initial"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I don't know if its been mentioned already, but what do you do at the end of the date? Do you move in for the shift, or is it just a handshake and a peck on the cheek? Suppose the guy fancies the girl but she doesn't feel the same way - and he's thinking will I or won't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I don't know if its been mentioned already, but what do you do at the end of the date? Do you move in for the shift, or is it just a handshake and a peck on the cheek? Suppose the guy fancies the girl but she doesn't feel the same way - and he's thinking will I or won't I?

If the chemistry's there ask he flat out if she wants a kiss ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

awkward,i felt awkward saying no to hand hold,imagine saying no to kiss,i think slowly lean in while talking,shell lean away if not interested,dont lunge at her! although if both leaning in you could ask to kiss her then,look for body language,eye contact etc

Had a date for 7.30 tonight arranged since Wednesday. She text to confirm this morning which was fine.

Just got a text now saying she she knows it seems cliche but she totally forgot her friend was doing her hair at 8.30 she isn't cancelling just wondered if we could meet later.

Is it me or is that a bit suss? This was arranged for 3/4 days and she only thinks of this now about two hours before meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Come on now lads, I ain't no Casanova but don't ask someone if you can kiss them!

Play it smooth and subtle and try to detect the right time, if the feeling is mutual it won't take too much.

What I would usually do is wait until well into the date, if the eye contact is there, etc, I would usually make hand contact...then based on the reaction go in for the kiss...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

riveratom wrote: »
    Come on now lads, I ain't no Casanova but don't ask someone if you can kiss them!

Yeah I would have thought asking someone for a kiss was a bit weird alright. Imagine if you were the other person and you didn't fancy them? "Can I kiss you? Ehh no, you're grand." Awkward!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I might be posting this a bit late for you but Accents coffee and tea lounge on Stephen Street Lower is open till 11pm Monday to Saturday. I've only been in it during the day so no idea how busy it gets at night but it's a nice place and they have board games which is a nice touch.

There's a thread from last year about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

riveratom wrote: »

Play it smooth and subtle and try to detect the right time, if the feeling is mutual it won't take too much.

What I would usually do is wait until well into the date, if the eye contact is there, etc, I would usually make hand contact...then based on the reaction go in for the kiss...

Ah what's wrong with asking? If you fancy them that is but if you just want to give it a go just to see no harm in asking, sometimes until you kiss someone before something can happen between people like a spark, also other ways be of giving a nudge/wink/puppy eyes or subtle way of wanting to kiss them before diving in that is as its hard to read their mind and know what they are thinking!? Some people need a sign or a signal sometimes to get a hint that you want to kiss them! Some people can misread signals very easily and misjudge a situation no matter how they feel or not feel. Asking is better than second guessing or having an awkward moment!

1st dates generally swing one way or the other handshake/kiss on cheek or kiss depending how the date goes....that is the general consensus I assume unless it doesn't swing either way and nothing happens...'friends'.

What ever the approach, approach nicely and confidently. Smile!

doovdela wrote: »
    Ah what's wrong with asking? If you fancy them that is but if you just want to give it a go just to see no harm in asking, sometimes until you kiss someone before something can happen between people like a spark, also other ways be of giving a nudge/wink/puppy eyes or subtle way of wanting to kiss them before diving in that is as its hard to read their mind and know what they are thinking!? Some people need a sign or a signal sometimes to get a hint that you want to kiss them! Some people can misread signals very easily and misjudge a situation no matter how they feel or not feel. Asking is better than second guessing or having an awkward moment!

1st dates generally swing one way or the other handshake/kiss on cheek or kiss depending how the date goes....that is the general consensus I assume unless it doesn't swing either way and nothing happens...'friends'.

What ever the approach, approach nicely and confidently. Smile!

I'm sure that I have what ever the romantic equivalent of Asperger's Syndrome is, when it comes to this moment! :D:D:D

It either goes so amazingly right, where I get the shiver down my back as we are kissing, or else I make a complete and utter awkward bálls of the whole thing and just do the quickest disappearing act ever, even though I'd be DYING to move in for a kiss...

Herrick wrote: »
    Had a date for 7.30 tonight arranged since Wednesday. She text to confirm this morning which was fine.

Just got a text now saying she she knows it seems cliche but she totally forgot her friend was doing her hair at 8.30 she isn't cancelling just wondered if we could meet later.

Is it me or is that a bit suss? This was arranged for 3/4 days and she only thinks of this now about two hours before meeting?

Well after a bit of chatting she was thinking she'd make 9.30. Said she'd let me know when she was done. Haven't heard a peep and I've seen her show as online a few times and even now. Could be the app I guess, but the drive there is about 45mins so can't see much happening here really at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Well after a bit of chatting she was thinking she'd make 9.30. Said she'd let me know when she was done. Haven't heard a peep and I've seen her show as online a few times and even now. Could be the app I guess, but the drive there is about 45mins so can't see much happening here really at this stage.

That's not on. She should have just rescheduled with you. Leaving someone waiting around like that is no very nice.

mood wrote: »
    That's not on. She should have just rescheduled with you. Leaving someone waiting around like that is no very nice.

Don't I know it. Have a gut feeling if I do hear from her it will be along the lines of "finished now but its too late to do anything really"

Think some how I've been back burned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Don't I know it. Have a gut feeling if I do hear from her it will be along the lines of "finished now but its too late to do anything really"

Better to find out what someone is like early on. Forget her and get emailing other girls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Would you still meet her after she messed you around like that?

• Advertisement

ladylost wrote: »
    Would you still meet her after she messed you around like that?

Oh no. Had an idea this was coming once I got that excuse this evening.

It's just mind boggling how some people carry on. All the trouble of giving me her num, swapping FB's, then she even text me early today to confirm for tonight.

But then this BS like an hour before we were due to meet. I didn't want to jump the gun and I decided to at least give the benefit of the doubt, but when I haven't even got a text by now its obvious.

You'd think there would be at least be a better excuse than that like.

Actually just got a text now "girls still here late night drive ;)" dunno if it's a statement or a question :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement