Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i kind of dated a musicain who was a bit like that.he often had to cancel dates last minute due to gigs and stuff.i think some of it was genuine but there was alot of stringing me along i think as well,cancelling last minute for babysitting.im more wary of people like that since but like to see good in people that they are being honest and genuine but its hard to tell when there are so many lying ***** out there

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Email of the day....

'You make me rock hard your hot wanna chat' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Email of the day....

So......how did the chat go??haha

So......how did the chat go??haha

Can't talk right now... busy throwing on my finest booty call out fit, I've got a date :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Email of the day....

Were you playing electric guitar, or jazz flute or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Email of the day....

translated that means you make him want to listen to very heavy metal music and he wants to talk about that.
    (maybe its causing tinitius)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Were you playing electric guitar, or jazz flute or something?
    translated that means you make him want to listen to very heavy metal music and he wants to talk about that.
    (maybe its causing tinitius)

Aaah now I feel mean for jumping to the conclusion that he's just a sleaze :o

so long as he keeps his love of music up youll be fine.
    :D

ive now got song, thunder, na na na na na ! in my head,think it could be theme tune for the chat

i think he will hear more of simon and garfunkel with the sound of silence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Why do people come out with that kind of stuff?!

You're not Charlie Sheen.

You never will be Charlie Sheen.

Stop talking like Charlie Sheen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Maybe he had an unsexy voice, like that guy from the old Meteor ad, "Hello its me, the guy from the bar... no honestly it is."

Acksherly that was a Digifone ad. My sister went out with that guy a few times.

/useless fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Pet OD peeve of the day, main profile pics & additional pics with people sticking their tongues out. On the rare occasion, it "can" look sexy, but 99% of the time that I'm seeing it on POF, it looks completely stupid, immature, retarded and ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Pet OD peeve of the day, main profile pics & additional pics with people sticking their tongues out.

Mine are the pics that are so blurry they look like they've been pixellated to protect an identity on "Cops" or something. They're usually the ones with the old Plenty of Fish banner on them. What's that about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Honey-ec wrote: »
    They're usually the ones with the old Plenty of Fish banner on them. What's that about?

It would mean they've been on the site for years and never updated the pics or they re-signed up and used pics from a few years ago.
    Either way it means pics are old and not what the person might look like now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Pet OD peeve of the day, main profile pics & additional pics with people sticking their tongues out. On the rare occasion, it "can" look sexy, but 99% of the time that I'm seeing it on POF, it looks completely stupid, immature, retarded and ignorant.

Often a method of errr... creating cheekbones.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Mine are the pics that are so blurry they look like they've been pixellated to protect an identity on "Cops" or something. They're usually the ones with the old Plenty of Fish banner on them. What's that about?

They probably saved a thumbnail and enlarged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's anything but a choice I'm afraid. Unlike someone in a PAYE job, what I pay myself is completely down to my business staying open & trading sucessfully on a day to day basis, which is my responsibility, and unlike someone in a PAYE job, if I can't manage for whatever reason to accomplish that, and my business fails, there is no possibility of me getting €188 a week to survive on.

So what do I do? Do I forget about internet dating, or dating in general, for as long as I'm self employed? Or do I try to put my best foot forward, even if that means that due to the nature of the job that I do, I might not be able to follow through on plans that were made, because I don't know from day to day, how much spare time I might have on any particular evening???

Well. I don't know about PAYE people because I work for myself. If I want something badly enough, I lose a bit of income. As I said it's about choices. I never said they are easy choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Thought I'd share something from my experience of online dating after tryin it out of curiosity for the last while. Originally I created a pof profile and in the about me section I pretty much done the "usual" thing of describing myself, interests etc. Mailed around 20 girls, usually mentioning something to show I had read their profile, got 2 replies in total.

Then randomly, I decided that seeing as I was getting next to no replies, I'd try a new approach for the laugh/out of boredom. Basically, come across as a funny/c*ocky bastard in the about me section, say next to nothing actually true about myself, and send an opening message something along the lines of "Pepsi or Coke?" After sending 20 messages, I got 17 replies..WTF!!

So basically lads, if you want to get more replies, be witty/arrogant and don't take it too serious. That's just my experience anyway!

Piliger wrote: »
    Well. I don't know about PAYE people because I work for myself. If I want something badly enough, I lose a bit of income. As I said it's about choices. I never said they are easy choices.

Well, I don't want to get off topic on this but for a lot of business owners at the moment, taking days off at short notice just isn't an option, it isn't simply a matter of just losing a day's income, if that was the only concern, I'd gladly forfeit a days pay to pursue something that I had a good feeling on. It's not a money thing, it's a worry about losing customers and damaging the business if I'm not around when I need to be, or worst case scenario, letting customers down and coming back the next day to a damaged business because someone has decided to take their highly valued business elsewhere on the basis of having been let down the previous day.

If you are self employed and are a sole trader, you might be able to schedule your work around a date, that isn't the case here sadly, or I would gladly have done it.

• Advertisement

R019912 wrote: »
    Thought I'd share something from my experience of online dating after tryin it out of curiosity for the last while. Originally I created a pof profile and in the about me section I pretty much done the "usual" thing of describing myself, interests etc. Mailed around 20 girls, usually mentioning something to show I had read their profile, got 2 replies in total.

Then randomly, I decided that seeing as I was getting next to no replies, I'd try a new approach for the laugh/out of boredom. Basically, come across as a funny/c*ocky bastard in the about me section, say next to nothing actually true about myself, and send an opening message something along the lines of "Pepsi or Coke?" After sending 20 messages, I got 17 replies..WTF!!

So basically lads, if you want to get more replies, be witty/arrogant and don't take it too serious. That's just my experience anyway!

This does actually work! I send out mails that are just banter filled arm chancing blags & I get loads of replies!

This does actually work! I send out mails that are just banter filled arm chancing blags & I get loads of replies!

How many would continue to reply after the initial messages? 17 out of 20 messages being replied to seems like a bit of a result. I think it might get people to reply to the initial message but unless you're a standup comedian IRL, how can it be sustainable?

Does it prove that most women are *'looking for a laugh' whereas as most men are looking for **a meaningful relationship?

*(phrase seems to be mandatory for all profiles)
    **except those who are just looking to 'bump uglies' of course...

cantdecide wrote: »
    How many would continue to reply after the initial messages? 17 out of 20 messages being replied to seems like a bit of a result. I think it might get people to reply to the initial message but unless you're a standup comedian IRL, how can it be sustainable?

Does it prove that most women are *'looking for a laugh' whereas as most men are looking for **a meaningful relationship?

no not in the slightest.id guess majority of men are looking for dating but not serious or no commitment whatsoever based on profile. women like guys with sense of humour,its very attractive. im personally drawn to more relaxed people who are laid back rather than being highly strung.ill go for someone who seems fun to be around.which is why im baffled by the amount of photos that people have up that they look scary in

cantdecide wrote: »

You don't really have to sustain the comedic value I guess. Although my opening message is never really anything funny, I just say something different, so then the person will view my profile and that's where they see the humour. Getting a girls attention is the hardest part IMO, seeing as most will have to sift through hundreds of messages a day. Once you have their attention it tends to work if you just be yourself and try be slightly witty.

most will have to sift through hundreds of messages a day.

i think this is a myth,theres probably a small proportion of women who get anywhere near that, i get a handful at most, im not gorgeous but im not hideous.im somewhere in the middle. im convinced there are hundreds emailing about ten hot women. richard hammonds advice on top gear "go ugly early" although completely horrible makes complete sense.

...women like guys with sense of humour,its very attractive. im personally drawn to more relaxed people who are laid back rather than being highly strung.ill go for someone who seems fun to be around.which is why im baffled by the amount of photos that people have up that they look scary in

It's a tough balance to strike. I don't spit one-liners like Jimmy Carr or have them rolling in the aisles. I'm easygoing and I like to think I'm funny IRL but I don't think it's accurate to think someone is highly strung because they're not the class clown.

Anyone wish to post examples of their humour??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Yep I started the exact same thing a while back. Send them a message with one or two funny opening questions along the lines of your pepsi or coke question and I usually get a ton of replies back.

The only thing I'm starting to think is that girls who aren't really interested message back with an answer as well cause they find it funny and original. Usually the replies stop after a message or two once you try to get to know them, even while staying witty.

It definitely help massively cause being witty and funny is good, but I think it creates a false hope at times as well. Although it keeps the confidence up so who am I to complain :p

i wasnt implying people who arent class clown are highly strung.was just stating i dont like that kind of person personally.can see where it might have come across like that alright. i find theres also a danger with humour veering off into innuendos and down wrong path completely

i wasnt implying people who arent class clown are highly strung.was just stating i dont like that kind of person personally.can see where it might have come across like that alright. i find theres also a danger with humour veering off into innuendos and down wrong path completely

I wasn't aiming my comment at you, btw. It was more of a general point about women who might over-valuing 'humour' in the context of OD profiles. That said, no one wants to end up with Fr. Stone, I'm sure!

• Advertisement

Herrick wrote: »
    Yep I started the exact same thing a while back. Send them a message with one or two funny opening questions along the lines of your pepsi or coke question and I usually get a ton of replies back.

The only thing I'm starting to think is that girls who aren't really interested message back with an answer as well cause they find it funny and original. Usually the replies stop after a message or two once you try to get to know them, even while staying witty.

It definitely help massively cause being witty and funny is good, but I think it creates a false hope at times as well. Although it keeps the confidence up so who am I to complain :p

Yeah I get that aswell haha, girls who are ridiculously hot (I'm talkin 9.5 outta 10 and probably outta my league) reply to these messages, and with some of them the conversation goes on for one or two messages and then stops. But ya just take it on the chin and move on :) I think the witty way is the best way to approach these sites anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement