Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Galvasean wrote: »
    It could be possible that she did have to meet her brother for something important. You'd never know really. Family issues generally trump dating in my book. I'd be inclined to say something like, "Hey, I'm still interested in meeting up. If you're still up for it let me know a time that suits". That way you can honestly say you've done everything in your power (within reason).

Took your advice because you seem more socially aware when it comes to dating than I am. Didn't hear anything back so I texted her again today to say I'd be busy over the next while, but would still really like to meet up when I can. Also said I completely understand her having more important things to do & if she's changed her mind it's totally cool.

She had picked up on what I was saying wrongly, so I apologised & corrected myself. She was absolutely lovely about it.

I can be a bit overly sensitive & dismissive sometimes, but I really try not to let it effect my decisions.

Probably going to hook up at some stage over the next few weeks. Have a really good gut feeling about her so I've no problem waiting around.

Let's just hope she doesn't meet anyone better between now and then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

cantdecide wrote: »
    I wasn't aiming my comment at you, btw. It was more of a general point about women who might over-valuing 'humour' in the context of OD profiles. That said, no one wants to end up with Fr. Stone, I'm sure!

no worries. there was no tone to my comment either.could come across as defensive. thats another thing od misses.tone and body language. texting is the same.its so easy to misinterpret things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

no worries. there was no tone to my comment either.could come across as defensive. thats another thing od misses.tone and body language. texting is the same.its so easy to misinterpret things

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Asking "Pepsi or Coke" is funny? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Asking "Pepsi or Coke" is funny? :confused:

Nope, didn't say the question part was the humorous bit. If you read my post, the point is it's a bit different than the normal "hey what's up" so then the person is inclined to check out your page, and that's where they see the humour...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I must admit I get more replies when I send the funny witty messages. It helps to be original. A lot of messages and profiles are very generic. However the girl will only continue to message you if she's attracted to you, or really likes your profile.

I wonder how many people on this forum have messaged each other on POF without realising it. Has anyone met a boardsie in real life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people on this forum have messaged each other on POF without realising it. Has anyone met a boardsie in real life?

I asked Galvasean out for a coffee the other day but he wasn't having a fúckin' bar of it! :D:D:D

I asked Galvasean out for a coffee the other day but he wasn't having a fúckin' bar of it! :D:D:D

Jasus how could he refuse an offer like that? Just imagine though, there could be plenty of singletons on boards that are compatible with each other. My soulmate could be in this very forum. :cool:

There's a very regular Boardsie in Dublin who's a 94% Match and 91% friend according to OKC. One of my best matches in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Folks a reminder that this is not a place to "pick up a boardsie"
    Pull the discussion back to online dating experiences only
    Please and thanks

• Advertisement

OK back on topic; why do some people feel the need to continuously and maliciously denigrate members of the opposite sex on their profile, when the purpose of using the site in the first place is to meet members of the opposite sex? It seems a bit counter-productive to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

OK back on topic; why do some people feel the need to continuously and maliciously denigrate members of the opposite sex on their profile, when the purpose of using the site in the first place is to meet members of the opposite sex? It seems a bit counter-productive to me.

Usually because they have issues from past relationships imo and they shouldn't be anywhere near a dating site with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 things I've been wondering lately are:
    Do all women need a glass/bottle of wine when watching a movie? Can't say I've ever seen anyone(in their late 20s or early 30s) sneaking a bottle of wine into the cinema.
    and
    Why do some women think it's a good idea to post a pic of them and a guy? I saw a woman post pics of her along with 2 guys and another woman post 2 or 3 pics and she's with the same guy in each one. Yet the status is single and looking for relationship.

And just as a matter of interest, when there are 2 people in the picture and the caption says they're on the left, do you assume it's your left or his/her left?

Herrick wrote: »
    Usually because they have issues from past relationships imo and they shouldn't be anywhere near a dating site with that attitude.

Nail - head. There are so many profiles with taglines like, "are there any men who aren't jerks?", "where have all the decent guys gone?" "Men are sucks dicks - prove me wrong"
    Seriously off putting.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why do some women think it's a good idea to post a pic of them and a guy? I saw a woman post pics of her along with 2 guys and another woman post 2 or 3 pics and she's with the same guy in each one. Yet the status is single and looking for relationship.

Um, because it's okay to have friends with members of the opposite sex?

Do all women need a glass/bottle of wine when watching a movie? Can't say I've ever seen anyone(in their late 20s or early 30s) sneaking a bottle of wine into the cinema.
    and

And just as a matter of interest, when there are 2 people in the picture and the caption says they're on the left, do you assume it's your left or his/her left?

Good questions. There seems to be quite a few wine connoisseurs out there alright, as well as regular gym goers. Maybe Irish singletons have more free time to work on the fitness.

The group photos can be a bit silly, especially when they don't tell you which person they are in it. I'd assume when they say they're the person on the left, they mean the left as you're looking at the photo. I don't think there's anything wrong with a girl posting a photo of herself with a guy as long as they're just friends and its casual. If it was an ex it would be weird. A lot of people post pictures of themselves pissed drunk with a fag in their hand, while their profile states non-smoker, occasional drinker. :confused:

Do all women need a glass/bottle of wine when watching a movie?
    Why do some women think it's a good idea to post a pic of them and a guy?

i dont need a bottle of wine to watch a movie but its nice ;) its just a nice way to relax at the weekend.in cinema ive nice popcorn which makes up for not having wine.

men post pics with women too,could be friend or hint that dated someone maybe
    i assume the left when looking at picture,so your left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Nail - head. There are so many profiles with taglines like, "are there any men who aren't jerks?", "where have all the decent guys gone?" "Men are sucks dicks - prove me wrong"
    Seriously off putting.

When you look at the entirety of profiles on POF (just speaking like yourself as a guy, but speaking for my own needs below), and remove:

* Smokers

* Immature/ridiculous/defensive/argumentative profiles

* Those outside of the age bracket that I want to date (either above or below)

* Women with kids, (in fairness I don't have kids and want to meet a girl who doesn't have any kids).

There isn't really that much at all, that you can consider to be suitable dating material, in terms of someone you can send a mail to, and then taking into account that when the availability pool is lowered using the criteria you want to use, there is then a 10% chance of a reply at the maximum...

So the odds of meeting someone you consider suitable really are fúck all I think...

Seriously off putting.

Yes imagine if I changed my profile description to, "There's some seriously stuck up women on this thing. Most of them don't reply to emails. Don't be messaging me if you're fat or too short because I'll block you. Girls are sluts. Is it so hard to find a nice girl? Prove me wrong biotches!" Yes I can see that going down a treat. Not only would I not get any replies, I'd probably get reported for making sexist remarks.

Question for you guys (perhaps more so for the ladies), what does it mean when you mail a girl and she doesn't reply but visits your profile 4 days in a row? (I only noticed because OKC likes to inform you every time someone does so)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

When you look at the entirety of profiles on POF (just speaking like yourself as a guy, but speaking for my own needs below), and remove:

* Smokers

* Immature/ridiculous/defensive/argumentative profiles

* Those outside of the age bracket that I want to date (either above or below)

* Women with kids, (in fairness I don't have kids and want to meet a girl who doesn't have any kids).

There isn't really that much at all, that you can consider to be suitable dating material, in terms of someone you can send a mail to, and then taking into account that when the availability pool is lowered using the criteria you want to use, there is then a 10% chance of a reply at the maximum...

So the odds of meeting someone you consider suitable really are fúck all I think...

I think that POF is really slim pickings tbf...definitely the bottom of the pile in terms of sites that are worthwhile.

• Advertisement

Ooh, here's another one:
    This girl showed up in my searches today. Seems really nice etc. I think we'd get on. I assumed she was new, but according to OKC I mailed her in May 2011 (she must not ahve replied at the time). I'm guessing she must have closed her account this last while (seeing someone maybe?).
    Would it be considered bad form/weird to send a mail now after all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Ooh, here's another one:
    This girl showed up in my searches today. Seems really nice etc. I think we'd get on. I assumed she was new, but according to OKC I mailed her in May 2011 (she must not ahve replied at the time). I'm guessing she must have closed her account this last while (seeing someone maybe?).
    Would it be considered bad form/weird to send a mail now after all this time?

Go for it, nothing to lose :-)

Question for you guys (perhaps more so for the ladies), what does it mean when you mail a girl and she doesn't reply but visits your profile 4 days in a row? (I only noticed because OKC likes to inform you every time someone does so)

i often click last message in my mail from okc to get into my account,which could explain why shes showing up as viewing your profile so many times, no harm contacting girl who contacted before again, tastes can change and youve nothing to lose
    on profiles giving out about men,plenty of any decent women out there type messages out there.no headwreckers, not interested in women who play games etc,no high maintenance.most or arguments about women on online dating can easily say is true fo the men

riveratom wrote: »
    Go for it, nothing to lose :-)

You're right!

*Puts on mailing hat*

Which is better... POF or OKC? I've only recently joined OKC but haven't used it much. There doesn't seem to be as many people on it as POF. The profiles don't seem to have as many photos on it either. Which has been the most successful for you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

i often click last message in my mail from okc to get into my account,which could explain

I do that all the time, i just click on the last mail in my inbox to get into okc for a quick look around, dose it really show up on the other persons notifications that ive visited his profile? :eek:

feel bad now, still learning this okc malarky:rolleyes:

i often click last message in my mail from okc to get into my account,which could explain why shes showing up as viewing your profile so many times,
    I do that all the time, i just click on the last mail in my inbox to get into okc for a quick look around, dose it really show up on the other persons notifications that ive visited his profile? :eek:

feel bad now, still learning this okc malarky:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if that's the case. Viewing a message and a profile are very different on OKC.

I'm not sure if that's the case. Viewing a message and a profile are very different on OKC.

Phew!! last thing i want do is come across as a stalker

On another note, whats up with someone mailing five times and ive never replied. (didnt reply because no point in starting something when he's not realy for me)

I dont get it!

Time for a block... through his front window.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Time for a block... through his front window.

haha as long as he dosent throw it back in my window il be ok

Just saw the "hide" button now....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement