Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I've noticed there's a lot of tall women on POF...

I was thinking there's a lot of shorter women on OKC, like 5'2"/ 5'3". Is there any such thing as a guy being too tall? I'm quite tall and wonder would being much taller be a turn off?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I find the rudeness of some women on POF, and it's always a pretty one, to be really sad.

I messaged a lady with the same name as that Theron actress, this evening and said I liked her profile and would she like to get in touch.

Her response was "welll u r tall, so i guess i can talk with u"
    I responded with a pleasant "Unfortunately there isn't much about you in your profile and that's what I would really like to find out about"

Her response was "good so , why bother rephying, how stuped are u" Just like that ... out of the blue.. :rolleyes:

I said "Why do you feel you have to be so rude ?"

She replies "because i am"

What is it with people like this ? I posted this to show ladies that it is not just men who can be rude and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

this post is dedicated to giving out about women on od!
    we can add rudeness to the list of womens annoying habits on od!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

this post is dedicated to giving out about women on od!
    we can add rudeness to the list of womens annoying habits on od!

Men are rude as well so why not just say 'rude people'.

mood wrote: »
    Men are rude as well so why not just say 'rude people'.

i think for every reaction on this thread there is an equal and oposite reaction,basically anything you can do i can do better,both men and women on od are guilty of similar offences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Piliger wrote: »
    I find the rudeness of some women on POF, and it's always a pretty one, to be really sad.

What is it with people like this ? I posted this to show ladies that it is not just men who can be rude and insulting.

Some people are just bitter after having bad experiences with the opposite sex. A dating site is the last place you should be complaining about it though.

I find it seriously off-putting when a woman puts a list of demands on her profile that men must adhere to. Who would want someone so high maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've noticed there's a lot of tall women on POF. Just wondering if either of you would date a guy shorter than you? Some women state in their profiles that the guy must be tall. Not that I'm judging. It's understandable but would probably limit your options.

Honestly, I do find it weird. I have tried it (and also when guys say they're 5'10 when they're really a few inches shorter:rolleyes:) and I feel like a man. I cannot describe it any other way. It does restrict my options but I cannot help the way I feel unfortunately.
    .....She replies "because i am"

Was she drunk?! Seriously? What an idiot. I guess you get all types on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Why on okc is there alot of guys who in there age have 35 or 31 yet in there profile there only 23 or 26.

We're all in the wars by the look of it. I got the cursed timewaster/ ego booster.

Messaged this girl who seemed like a real sweetheart. She was new to the site and had no pics up but her profile was really interesting and we IM'd back and forth until the wee hours for a couple of nights. Without doubt the best chat I'd had since I first tried OD. She hinted that I should ask her out, which I did and she said we'd talk the next day. She said she "really wanted to meet me".

Sent her a follow up message the next day and..... crickets. Noticed she'd put up pics and as it happens she's like a 10 by most guys' standards and she's online all the time. Must be getting mailed by every guy on the internet and I feel like I was just there to hold her handbag. OD for me is a terribly slow process and I always swear I won't get my hopes up but shur what can ya do...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

cantdecide wrote: »
    We're all in the wars by the look of it. I got the cursed timewaster/ ego booster.

Messaged this girl who seemed like a real sweetheart. She was new to the site and had no pics up but her profile was really interesting and we IM'd back and forth until the wee hours for a couple of nights. Without doubt the best chat I'd had since I first tried OD. She hinted that I should ask her out, which I did and she said we'd talk the next day. She said she "really wanted to meet me".

Sent her a follow up message the next day and..... crickets. Noticed she'd put up pics and as it happens she's like a 10 by most guys' standards and she's online all the time. Must be getting mailed by every guy on the internet and I feel like I was just there to hold her handbag. OD for me is a terribly slow process and I always swear I won't get my hopes up but shur what can ya do...

Well least you can take from it that she obviously thought you were nice enough to reply to and despite whats happened since.

You never know, she may have got scared about meeting up with someone, as she is only new to it all.

Chin up, if she was a time waster then least she is out of the way for the right girl.

• Advertisement

That girl sounds like a fake to me. Yeah I agree OD is a terribly slow time consuming process. After months and months of messaging women and getting little replies, I've been tempted to throw in the towel. I'm not giving up on it yet though as there's new women joining it all the time.

I still think its better than the pub/club scene. Women tend to be much more defensive in these places. Have do you have a conversation with someone in a noisy club anyway?

I read an article written by a man in a magazine while having my hair done this morning. He has been internet dating for 10 years in London. He said he is looking for the perfect woman and goes on loads of first dates. He think he hasn't got into a relationship because he is always thinks there is a more perfect woman out there... so he keeps looking. He also felt he has got a bit addicted to it all! He estimated that he has been on 1,500 first dates via dating sites.

And we thought we had problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What was her reply to you asking her out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Just signed up to pof this week. Just wondering, in general do girls write a first message if interested often or do they view a profile in hope of getting a return view and message?

On the height thing..im 5'6 and i would not date a girl taller than me, its just awkward.

Larianne wrote: »
    What was her reply to you asking her out?

An emphatic yes. It was late so I bid her good night and told her I'd send her a message with my number, which I did. She replied to the message a couple of days later saying 'only just saw this now blah blah' I replied and said 'shur drop me a text' but heard nothing since. I've seen her online most times I've been online since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Sort of been on and off OKCupid since I re-joined. Not making a huge effort really to be honest though.

Just signed up to pof this week. Just wondering, in general do girls write a first message if interested often or do they view a profile in hope of getting a return view and message?

On the height thing..im 5'6 and i would not date a girl taller than me, its just awkward.

for me personally it varies.if im really interested i tend to message.if i view you and dont send message doesnt necessarily mean im not interested. i havent found much success contacting guys directly so i sway more towards lazy option of if they like me theyl contact me or il send a flirt

mood wrote: »
    I read an article written by a man in a magazine while having my hair done this morning. He has been internet dating for 10 years in London. He said he is looking for the perfect woman and goes on loads of first dates. He think he hasn't got into a relationship because he is always thinks there is a more perfect woman out there... so he keeps looking. He also felt he has got a bit addicted to it all! He estimated that he has been on 1,500 first dates via dating sites.

And we thought we had problems!

Yeah I've heard its huge in London. It's actually uncool not to be online dating there. 1500? Lucky fecker. To be fair though, if you did have that many options you could afford to be picky, which is why some of the more attractive women who are getting up to 100 messages a day can have their pick of the litter.

To be honest it probably will hold you back a bit. I'm 5'8 and get turned down a lot on POF because of my height. (Strangely this is never an issue in real life.) It's not an issue for all women though, so don't be discouraged. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ugh, so annoyed. A man messaged me a number of times and kept popping up on my chat so I decided I'd message him to politely decline, before blocking him. He had been messaging me in a sexual manner so I just said that wasn't what I was looking for etc. He then messaged me back a really explicit message.

The fact that people think it's acceptable to send messages to people like that bugs me beyond belief. He is now blocked but still, I needed to rant.

If you report these guys, are they not banned? Are they free to pester other women??

• Advertisement

If you report these guys, are they not banned? Are they free to pester other women??

i would assume so but im guessing some peope dont bother reporting them and they can always sign back up with another account

i would assume so but im guessing some peope dont bother reporting them and they can always sign back up with another account

I would still report them. If everyone did they would get feed up creating different accounts. Oh, one guy on this thread or a different one asked why he couldn't join one of the dating sites again after being banned. He mentioned the site might remember his IP address so maybe after being banned it's not possible to join using the same computer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I find it strange when someone messages you, saying they found your profile interesting, send you photos, and then when you say the same back and ask a question about themselves you get no response.

Do some people send messages to so many people that they forgot they sent them??

Also just a question for you all......how far are you willing to travel to meet up with someone?

I find it strange when someone messages you, saying they found your profile interesting, send you photos, and then when you say the same back and ask a question about themselves you get no response.

Do some people send messages to so many people that they forgot they sent them??

Also just a question for you all......how far are you willing to travel to meet up with someone?

Yes, I think some people just send loads of emails out!

I'm not willing to do long distance and would like to meet someone in the came city/town as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

About an hours drive, maybe an hour and a half tops. It would also help if they had a car as well, you could take turns.

I'd drive any lenght for a good woman. Although if she lives near any of those big roundabouts with the multiple lanes around Dublin I'd be reluctant. I always get lost on them fecking things.

I have been in contact with a couple of girls over the last week that then went silent.

I would imagine the highest probability is that in the meantime they have been out on a date and decided to suspend interest in me.

I'd drive any lenght for a good woman.

I've been to LDR's and got the Tshirt ... and based on a lot of experience in Relationship Issues here on Boards ... I would advise strongly against it myself.

I have been in contact with a couple of girls over the last week that then went silent.

I would imagine the highest probability is that in the meantime they have been out on a date and decided to suspend interest in me.

there are a variety of reasons i might stop contacting someone,it could be that chatting to someone else,or was unsure if interested so chatted but if no longer interested would stop chatting,sometimes chatting to someone is like dragging blood from a stone so give up. i assume reasons for men stopping contact are simiar?

• Advertisement

there are a variety of reasons i might stop contacting someone,it could be that chatting to someone else,or was unsure if interested so chatted but if no longer interested would stop chatting,sometimes chatting to someone is like dragging blood from a stone so give up. i assume reasons for men stopping contact are simiar?

I agree ... when you receive repeated messages that are one sentence or two .... and have no questions or 'energy' in them ..... then interest is seriously lacking and euthanasia is the best solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement