Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was thinking there's a lot of shorter women on OKC, like 5'2"/ 5'3". Is there any such thing as a guy being too tall? I'm quite tall and wonder would being much taller be a turn off?

Bit late, but from personal experience being too tall isn't an issue. I've dated guys from 5'3 to 6'10 and am currently dating someone who's around 6'4 or a little taller, and I'm only 5'1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I guess I stopped chatting to people when I feel they are not interested or want different things.

It definitely is rude to just cut contact but explaining why usually leads to problems so best for both parties to just cease contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Piliger wrote: »
    I've been to LDR's and got the Tshirt ... and based on a lot of experience in Relationship Issues here on Boards ... I would advise strongly against it myself.

I am an hour away from my guy and that is far enough. Anything longer than that and we wouldn't see each other as much as we do... especially when you consider diesel prices these days :(

Just a quick check in. I am still with the guy I met online at the start of the Summer and it is all good. He has met the kids and they love each other. He has met my family and I have met his mother. It's all good :) In fact he is on his way here now... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Novella wrote: »
    Ugh, so annoyed. A man messaged me a number of times and kept popping up on my chat so I decided I'd message him to politely decline, before blocking him. He had been messaging me in a sexual manner so I just said that wasn't what I was looking for etc. He then messaged me back a really explicit message.

The fact that people think it's acceptable to send messages to people like that bugs me beyond belief. He is now blocked but still, I needed to rant.

I wouldn't have hesitated to block someone like that. I got a mail from a girl the other day and I was slow to reply because I was actually asleep when she sent a first mail to me so I replied the next morning saying hi and that I was asleep when she mailed, blah blah blah. Then last night I get a reply to that message saying, "oh you sound exciting-NOT!"...

Well may God forgive me for having the audacity to need asleep at the end of a hard days work! I just mailed her back saying "thanks for that" and blocked her. No point in rising to the bait with some of the clowns that use the site who clearly have no personality whatsoever & then getting yourself stressed after an argument with them and having insults thrown at you or listening to people who have no personality or intelligence so say the first thing that comes into their stupid little heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm starting to find OKCupid to be slim pickings but I'm determined not to go back on POF. At least not yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm starting to find OKCupid to be slim pickings but I'm determined not to go back on POF. At least not yet!

come over to the dark side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

come over to the dark side ;)

Don't tempt me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

After focusing my thoughts on the online thing I inadvertently found myself IRL on a date with a wonderful German fräulein. It went well. Seeing her again during the week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sweet Jones

Just wondering, what are the implications of one site vs another? By that i mean is POF more trashy than OKC or Match? Other way around? Or does it really make much difference?
    New to this and still finding my feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Just wondering, what are the implications of one site vs another? By that i mean is POF more trashy than OKC or Match? Other way around? Or does it really make much difference?

okc has way less people than pof. the increased number of people mean more variety in the profiles, you have everyone from those looking for one night stands to marriage and everything in between.no harm in joining both and seeing which you prefer.ive never used match to comment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I wouldn't date someone shorter than me. But I would never be rude enough to specify that in my profile or actually tell someone that's why I've no interest.

Regarding distance, tbh I don't even reply to messages from people in different counties. I do accept that I'm lucky in that I'm based in Dublin, though, and have the luxury of being able to do that.

Anyway, quick update on my online dating life; met a guy for a coffee on Wednesday. We ended up walking for MILES and got on great. Went out with him again on Friday night, ended up meeting him Saturday night for impromptu drinks (and met his dad and everything), and went for lunch with him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I wouldn't date someone shorter than me. But I would never be rude enough to specify that in my profile or actually tell someone that's why I've no interest.

Good to hear, as a guy who isn't tall or short I can't tell you how much of a turn-off to see those references in a woman's profile.

I actually think it's fair enough if you are a tall girl (5'9", 5'10"), but when you're 5"6? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I use a paid site and I have not come across a lot of the crap other have on the free sites (pen*s pictures, time wasters etc). Anyone who used a paid site obviously wants to meet someone and t not just there to pass time or get a ego bust or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

''JjjjjjjjjjjUguhgytfyfghgyhtrcgtdfgyrdctfcssggdxghudr. Ghdtgcrg gffhtdfgtddghfdhtdgydfv cthdthcefcgyusgvcdfcvgvxfhb cyyhxtt..ghdtyuitgfrtyittcdryyfsdfhjytchtdxydchcwtioyewsksuvaefcrthfhddfhuyfrfhurdh''

This as a description of themselves... I give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Vodkat wrote: »
    ''JjjjjjjjjjjUguhgytfyfghgyhtrcgtdfgyrdctfcssggdxghudr. Ghdtgcrg gffhtdfgtddghfdhtdgydfv cthdthcefcgyusgvcdfcvgvxfhb cyyhxtt..ghdtyuitgfrtyittcdryyfsdfhjytchtdxydchcwtioyewsksuvaefcrthfhddfhuyfrfhurdh''

This as a description of themselves... I give up!!

Must be Welsh :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

G-Money wrote: »

Am in a similar boat, thinking about deleting POF profile altogether...nothing but trouble so far!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How ok is it to tell someone that they are not the right age for you? Told by a guy after messaging him once that he'd prefer someone his "own age". He's 31, I'm 34. To me that is pretty much the same age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

miamee wrote: »
    How ok is it to tell someone that they are not the right age for you? Told by a guy after messaging him once that he'd prefer someone his "own age". He's 31, I'm 34. To me that is pretty much the same age :D

Sometimes stuff like that is just a euphemism for saying they don't fancy you, unfortunately!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sometimes stuff like that is just a euphemism for saying they don't fancy you, unfortunately!

Thought as much - he also mentioned another date next week. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Well that's enough OD for me! Met a guy, he was pretty nice. He was texting me yesterday, I didn't reply for about an hour because I was at a family function and was talking to various relatives I hadn't seen a while. I put my phone in my bag so as not to be rude. He text me asking did I not like texting him or something. I said I was sorry, I was just a little busy at the time and I'd text him when I got home.

I text him when I left which was about midnight so I guess he was asleep. That's cool, he replied this morning with a really vague, cold message and I'm back working nights tonight (which he knows) so I was sleeping at the time, didn't reply.

He then texts me again saying, "Forget it, bye!". I was slightly irritated at this point 'cause he seemed to expect me to have my phone in my hand 24/7. I was thinking of what to reply when he text again asking me what my problem is, and while I was writing a message back, he sends, "Seriously fuck you. Dickhead".

:confused::rolleyes: Enough is enough!

• Advertisement

Well that's enough OD for me! Met a guy, he was pretty nice. He was texting me yesterday, I didn't reply for about an hour because I was at a family function and was talking to various relatives I hadn't seen a while. I put my phone in my bag so as not to be rude. He text me asking did I not like texting him or something. I said I was sorry, I was just a little busy at the time and I'd text him when I got home.

I text him when I left which was about midnight so I guess he was asleep. That's cool, he replied this morning with a really vague, cold message and I'm back working nights tonight (which he knows) so I was sleeping at the time, didn't reply.

He then texts me again saying, "Forget it, bye!". I was slightly irritated at this point 'cause he seemed to expect me to have my phone in my hand 24/7. I was thinking of what to reply when he text again asking me what my problem is, and while I was writing a message back, he sends, "Seriously fuck you. Dickhead".

:confused::rolleyes: Enough is enough!
    I think that's what you call a lucky escape! Clearly he's either a bit nutty or incredibly insecure. Or both! Not a nice thing to happen especially if you thought you might actually like him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've been talking to a girl on POF that works in my local shop. I'm wondering should I pop in unannounced and say hello. Or would that be weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He text me asking did I not like texting him or something. I said I was sorry, I was just a little busy at the time and I'd text him when I got home.
    Holy fcuk, bullet dodged! Sounds like a right clingy SOAB!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I've been talking to a girl on POF that works in my local shop. I'm wondering should I pop in unannounced and say hello. Or would that be weird?

As a girl I would find it a bit strange unless we had been on dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

the_syco wrote: »
    Holy fcuk, bullet dodged! Sounds like a right clingy SOAB!

I blocked him on POF 'cause he kept messaging me, but now he keeps texting me - "Dickhead" and so on (like 6 messages in the last hour), so I guess if he doesn't stop, I'll have to call Meteor and have his number blocked. All this just because I was busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

riveratom wrote: »
    I think this girl was about 25/26, and I have no doubt that seeing my number flash up on her screen completely freaked her out - we are dealing with the text/Facebook-only generation here!

One thing I've picked up from OD is that there seem to be quite a few immature folks about - and given that an entire generation is growing up on a staple diet of Facebook, text-speak, reality TV and the Daily Mail Online (:eek:), it's probably only to get worse! :)

There's a very strong note of truth in this.

Depressing.

Well had my first real bad experience on an Internet date over the weekend. Again, my gut feeling was telling me to give this one a miss at the last minute after we talked on the phone, but I had already committed to meeting her so proceeded. We met & there was no chemistry whatsoever & conversation was really difficult, not something I usually would suffer with. I felt I was sitting in the company of someone incredibly cold & downright weird. I didn't want to continue with the date I felt that uncomfortable in her company so I said as much, that there was no point in us continuing with it & proceeded to head off. What happened then was a demonstration in the rudest & most childlike tantrum behavior that I've ever seen from an adult.

In a way, the experience has actually settled me into the whole thing and I'm enjoying OD now, every date I think makes you a little bit wiser as to what you want, or don't want as the case was here during my weekend!

I blocked him on POF 'cause he kept messaging me, but now he keeps texting me - "Dickhead" and so on (like 6 messages in the last hour), so I guess if he doesn't stop, I'll have to call Meteor and have his number blocked. All this just because I was busy...

This guy is a little PR*CK, get a guy to call him on his mobile & warn him not to text you again & I guarantee you it'll be the last txt you'll get from him ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Piliger wrote: »
    I find the rudeness of some women on POF, and it's always a pretty one, to be really sad.

I messaged a lady with the same name as that Theron actress, this evening and said I liked her profile and would she like to get in touch.

Her response was "welll u r tall, so i guess i can talk with u"
    I responded with a pleasant "Unfortunately there isn't much about you in your profile and that's what I would really like to find out about"

Her response was "good so , why bother rephying, how stuped are u" Just like that ... out of the blue.. :rolleyes:

I said "Why do you feel you have to be so rude ?"

She replies "because i am"

What is it with people like this ? I posted this to show ladies that it is not just men who can be rude and insulting.

Enough mugs out there indulge bratty behaviour by spoiled princesses just because they are, apparently, "beautiful". Which, in turn, makes their childish behaviour seem 'normal' to them. A bit like continually giving into a child throwing a tantrum. It's pathetic.

Lucky escape for you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sweet Jones

okc has way less people than pof. the increased number of people mean more variety in the profiles, you have everyone from those looking for one night stands to marriage and everything in between.no harm in joining both and seeing which you prefer.ive never used match to comment

That's more or less what I suspected.
    OD is more stressfull than I imagined. Signed up for a laugh and I was receiving loads of messages for my first two weeks... bit of a lull now though... stress...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement