Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I am going to die alone .....seriously .....I dont know if its because I am 21 ....and my age bracket just seems to be full of idiots ....or what but seriously....I have never felt as awful as I do now ....I just cant seem to win!!!!

You wont die alone, your nearly as dramatic as me :p!! I'm 23 and must say theres not many for the choosing in my age bracket, and im in the west. Have you a good profile do you think? Maybe try changing it around a bit? I only rejoined and have gotten a lot more replies, mainly because I put a good bit of effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Ugh I met the sweetest, funniest, most handsome man ever ....so obviously he turned out to be a dick ....and that's the way the cookie crumbles....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sometimes the in between guy/average-above average/cute is the best one in terms of how attractive he is. The nicest guys in the corners in bars are the ones to take note they too shy!? ;)

I am a few years older than you and getting concerned all the best ones gone or finding it harder when out and about. With the recession and emigration and a generation of 20 something almost fled the country don't know what come of us girlies in our 20's!

I don't even know if I even ever get married the rate I am going but to be honest I don't know if I even do if it happens it happens but I've yet to meet someone. I am fussy no doubt about that but think it has swung the other way for me, guys have a pick of the bunch :/

That's unfortunate jenny, you think him being sweet and funny he be nice? Sometimes think good looks come with a price but personality/sense of humour/nice/caring/kindness wins hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Ugh I met the sweetest, funniest, most handsome man ever ....so obviously he turned out to be a dick ....and that's the way the cookie crumbles....

Well I'm a humpty so I will be right up your street ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

doovdela wrote: »
    Sometimes the in between guy/average-above average/cute is the best one in terms of how attractive he is. The nicest guys in the corners in bars are the ones to take note they too shy!? ;)

I am a few years older than you and getting concerned all the best ones gone or finding it harder when out and about. With the recession and emigration and a generation of 20 something almost fled the country don't know what come of us girlies in our 20's!

I don't even know if I even ever get married the rate I am going but to be honest I don't know if I even do if it happens it happens but I've yet to meet someone. I am fussy no doubt about that but think it has swung the other way for me, guys have a pick of the bunch :/

That's unfortunate jenny, you think him being sweet and funny he be nice? Sometimes think good looks come with a price but personality/sense of humour/nice/caring/kindness wins hands down!

No way. Guys don't have a pick, they have to search for someone they like. Unlike the women on the sites who get more offers from ones that aren't good enough.

• Advertisement

Prick! wrote: »
    No way. Guys don't have a pick, they have to search for someone they like. Unlike the women on the sites who get more offers from ones that aren't good enough.

It might be the case in some places but find it the opposite in where I do be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have a date for Saturday woo hoo , I actually can't wait for Saturday . I got her phone number very quickly because she said it was easier to text. Lets hope this could be the one if not I think we will become very good friends and if thats all that comes about it then it would make me happy . She sent me the first message and gave me her number first aswell :D:D

doovdela wrote: »
    It might be the case in some places but find it the opposite in where I do be.

Where are you? A nunnery? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think I'm definitely flogging a dead horse so suspended my A/Cs. I didn't actually get to a single date over this last effort which is a bit poo but I have a couple of irons in the proverbial fire IRL which is quite a luxurious position to find myself so what harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

hid my profile for the time being. Was speaking to someone in a bar the other night, so much so, they held my jacket while I went to the bathroom, and at the end of the night I just went "See ya, I have to go now"

I get what I deserve after that!!! (I was a bit drunk though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think I'm definitely flogging a dead horse so suspended my A/Cs. I didn't actually get to a single date over this last effort which is a bit poo but I have a couple of irons in the proverbial fire IRL which is quite a luxurious position to find myself so what harm!

Sometimes I think you are better off taking a break from it every now and again to give your mind a rest if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

seachto7 wrote: »
    hid my profile for the time being. Was speaking to someone in a bar the other night, so much so, they held my jacket while I went to the bathroom, and at the end of the night I just went "See ya, I have to go now"

I get what I deserve after that!!! (I was a bit drunk though)

????????

I think a huge flaw with online dating is the superficial aspect - it's way too easy (and probably way more so for women than men) to just gloss over tonnes of people who you might actually fancy in real life, just because they aren't 'gorgeous' when you first encounter their profile.

I was out at the weekend, met a girl that I will freely admit I wouldn't have emailed on a dating site, but there was really something about her and it made me think about how I probably would have wanted to get with her, even though she was not strictly my type.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've been chatting to a guy on and off for a couple of months probably now. We've met up once, got on ok. We are texting about meeting up for dinner on Saturday and he just sent me a message saying we can't meet in town cos he doesn't want "my wife seeing my latest mistress :P :D"

He's a total messer, but at the same time...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

riveratom wrote: »
    I think a huge flaw with online dating is the superficial aspect - it's way too easy (and probably way more so for women than men) to just gloss over tonnes of people who you might actually fancy in real life, just because they aren't 'gorgeous' when you first encounter their profile.

I was out at the weekend, met a girl that I will freely admit I wouldn't have emailed on a dating site, but there was really something about her and it made me think about how I probably would have wanted to get with her, even though she was not strictly my type.

You do have a point but the weakness in your argument is that I don't believe that most people don't actually wait for someone 'gorgeous' to contact. Quite the opposite in my experience. People are more willing than in real life because they read a profile and are open to other factors. In real life people tend to totally blank the wrong kind of people in pubs and clubs. Also I have lost count of people here in this very thread who talk about sending dozens of contact messages. Clearly they are not just waiting for the gorgeous one.

OD is different to real life yes. But neither better nor worse. People are people and are as inconsistent in real life as they are online.

Where are you? A nunnery? :pac:

No, lol but might as well be there aren't many available fellows around near where I am and a lot of girlies so feel the lads have the pick of the bunch. I am based in Kerry! Though only the odd town has more lads than girls but depends they try to pick up any girl and so a girl does have the pick of the crop from that point of view.

Piliger wrote: »
    You do have a point but the weakness in your argument is that I don't believe that most people don't actually wait for someone 'gorgeous' to contact. Quite the opposite in my experience. People are more willing than in real life because they read a profile and are open to other factors. In real life people tend to totally blank the wrong kind of people in pubs and clubs.

OD is different to real life yes. But neither better nor worse. People are people and are as inconsistent in real life as they are online.

I sensed that 'gorgeous' was probably not quite the right word to use, what I mean though is that it just all too easy to filter out a tonne of people who don't automatically hit your attraction button, on a dating site. Let's face it, if you are a girl who gets dozens of messages a week, if not every day, then why would you bother with all those guys who don't light your fire straight away, but who you might easily fancy if they were a living breathing human being in front of you.

Body language, chemistry, flirting, humour, body shape and whatever else - all completely absent on a computer screen.
    Piliger wrote: »
    Also I have lost count of people here in this very thread who talk about sending dozens of contact messages. Clearly they are not just waiting for the gorgeous one.

And how many of those dozens of messages get replied to? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So, a 24-hour experiment on my POF profile resulted in - 427 messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Honey-ec wrote: »
    What was the experiment? You change location or something?

kiddums wrote: »
    What was the experiment? You change location or something?

Nope, profile pic :D

• Advertisement

Nope, profile pic :D
    Steal a celeb's? Or go naked?:p

Steal a celeb's? Or go naked?:p

Neither. Me in a bikini, ha ha!

Why would you do it? Confident boost eh?

I'm guessing that wouldn't have the same effect for me.:pac:
    At a guess I'd say it was to see how vain people are.:confused:

No, experiment, as I stated in my original post.

Did I not reply to you?

At a guess I'd say it was to see how vain people are.:confused:

It was to see how many people actually read the profile of a chick with a semi-revealing picture up, seeing as I actually put a note *in* my profile to say that was what I was doing.

The result? Depressingly few.

No, experiment, as I stated in my original post.

Did I not reply to you?

I wouldn't mail you.

Nice of you to mess with people, using the site as an "experiment". How about I be a prick to women as an experiment? Wouldn't be deemed too nice now would it?

I wouldn't mail you.

Nice of you to mess with people, using the site as an "experiment". How about I be a prick to women as an experiment? Wouldn't be deemed too nice now would it?

How was I messing with anyone? I was perfectly upfront about what I was doing, the picture wasn't a fake. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

:eek: How many did you manage to read? And what kind of messages were they?

• Advertisement

How was I messing with anyone? I was perfectly upfront about what I was doing, the picture wasn't a fake. What's the problem?

You called it an experiment. Was it not an experiment?

Hypocritical of you to damn people for not reading a profile when you previously said you wouldn't respond to someone without a profile pic :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement