Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

hollypink wrote: »
    :eek: How many did you manage to read? And what kind of messages were they?

I read them all - literally did not do a tap of work today. Ah, there was the usual quota of weirdos and chancers, but proportionally not a whole lot more than I'd normally get. A LOT of "Hey hunni" type messages. But most people were grand. I did have one or two take it very personally that I didn't reply to them, but that happens the odd time anyway.

Prick! wrote: »
    You called it an experiment. Was it not an experiment?

Hypocritical of you to damn people for not reading a profile when you previously said you wouldn't respond to someone without a profile pic :rolleyes:

It was an experiment. I still fail to see how that's messing with anyone, given that I stated on my profile that that's what it was.

And hypocrisy would be me saying I don't respond to profiles without a pic, while not having a picture up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Honey-ec wrote: »
    No, experiment, as I stated in my original post. Did I not reply to you?

If it's any consolation I wouldn't have messaged you or any girl with a bikini shot on her profile. Personally I think that was a pretty tacky "experiment". You only proved what everyone already knew so I don't see the point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

cantdecide wrote: »
    If it's any consolation I wouldn't have messaged you or any girl with a bikini shot on her profile. Personally I think that was a pretty tacky "experiment". You only proved what everyone already knew so I don't see the point?

Cries of a confident booster tbh. What did the "experiment" actually tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

You called it an experiment. Was it not an experiment?

Hypocritical of you to damn people for not reading a profile when you previously said you wouldn't respond to someone without a profile pic :rolleyes:

I have to back Honey here - she didn't lie, so what's the problem? If guys revealed themselves to be messaging on pics alone - that's their own fault.

I have two profiles set up - one with pics and a blank one with no pics - the blank one helps me see the guys who are indiscriminately messaging every profile.... sometimes those copy/paste messages can be pretty convincing...

• Advertisement

It was an experiment. I still fail to see how that's messing with anyone, given that I stated on my profile that that's what it was.

And hypocrisy would be me saying I don't respond to profiles without a pic, while not having a picture up myself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79553659&postcount=1528

Posted by you
    Regarding the pics, I don't reply to anyone who doesn't have one/send it with the first message.

Yes, it's true you might have a pic up, but you're judging them on their lack of pic, they could have the best personality ever.

What's wrong with lads messaging judging you on your pic then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I think it proved the severity of what everyone already knew.

I knew girls got tons of messages of questionable quality as I even setup a female friends profile for her before and before we were finished filling in all the details she already had a dozen messages. A dozen messages for an incomplete profile I thought was pretty bad.

Over 400 messages in 24 hours that failed to even bother reading the profile is pretty bad and is actually informative for me. I came across a couple of profiles were women asked guys to include a certain phrase in the subject to prove the sender has actually read their profile. This used turn me off to be honest, I saw it as a bit sanctimonious however after seeing this experiment I think I will be cutting these girls some slack in the future as it looks like a good bit of sense now!

What did the "experiment" actually tell you?

I've already stated what: that the vast majority of the men on POF don't bother reading profiles. Which kind of negates the hours of "Is my profile ok?" wonderings that a lot of the women on this thread (myself included) have had.
    Yes, it's true you might have a pic up, but you're judging them on their lack of pic, they could have the best personality ever.

That could very well be true, but I'm not going to date someone based on their personality alone, there has to be physical attraction there. And I just don't have the time or the inclination to go reply to every person who messages me without a pic and ask them for one. This one has been done to death on here; it puts the asker in an awkward position if they then don't fancy the person and they have to extricate themselves from the conversation without coming across as an asshole/being hurtful.
    What's wrong with lads messaging judging you on your pic then?

Nothing, I don't doubt that a lot of the men who've messaged me based on my "normal" pic are doing just that. But I will reserve the right to judge people who clearly haven't read my profile, as I always have done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maguined wrote: »
    I came across a couple of profiles were women asked guys to include a certain phrase in the subject to prove the sender has actually read their profile.
    Not a bad idea actually! Might try that out for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think it proved the severity of what everyone already knew.
    I've already stated what: that the vast majority of the men on POF don't bother reading profiles. Which kind of negates the hours of "Is my profile ok?" wonderings that a lot of the women on this thread (myself included) have had.

So you've deleted your profile at this stage having proven POF to be an utter waste of time? Or at least deleted all pics?

• Advertisement

A bit of a pointless experiment. Why didn't you just put a line in your profile along the likes of "I don't want any mails, seeing someone". Would prove the same thing. But this way you get a little "I'm so hoooootttttt" along with it.

So you've deleted your profile at this stage having proven POF to be an utter waste of time? Or at least deleted all pics?

No, because as I've said, there are some genuine guys on there. But yes, I've deleted the pic in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Its an interesting point from the experiment, though I think it was fairly obvious that putting up a provocative picture would get that response.
    Was there anyone that messaged you because of it you'd be interested in keeping in contact with? Or was it really just to make the point and therefore you're no further on than you were previously?

I'd also go nowhere near someone wearing a bikini as a profile pic, or a pic at all on a site like that. Very egotistical. Comes across as shallow, can't be seen wearing penneys clothes type. So add to your experiment honey-ec ;) A picture can tell a lot about someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

the girl just wanted attention, calling it an experiment is a fun way of making it seem acceptable

gilmour wrote: »
    the girl just wanted attention, calling it an experiment is a fun way of making it seem acceptable

Couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Neither. Me in a bikini, ha ha!
    It was to see how many people actually read the profile of a chick with a semi-revealing picture up, seeing as I actually put a note *in* my profile to say that was what I was doing.

The result? Depressingly few.

Ha! I actually clicked into your profile last night. I was going to mail and say, "what on earth could you be trying to prove with such an experiment?" ah well, guess I know now.
    It's funny, you mention that as I actually popped in here to bring up the very topic of bikinis/underwear photos in profiles.
    If it's any consolation I wouldn't have messaged you or any girl with a bikini shot on her profile.

I'd be in the same boat. Perhaps many guys did read your profile Honey-ec, but decide against messaging? Personally, when I see a profile with such revealing pictures alarm bells go off in my head as I would assume said women are just posing for attention or are a bit too on the 'slutty' for my personal taste.
    Now, I know you aren't the type Honey-ec, having known you for some time from our boards related encounters, but I cannot help but think that your experiment might have backfired. Who knows, maybe someone really nice dismissed your profile based on the bikini shots and you've missed out?
    Plus, God only knows whose saved those photos and could potentially use them for God knows what! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The last five women (all in the 40-50 age range) who have approached me on POF have failed to read ANY of my profile, not even the first three words, which say where I am living in Dublin now. I know that because they all asked me where I live in their second or third message..... three also followed that by asking if I was tall .... another clearly indicated fact in my profile ...

Me .. I have never ever messaged a women without reading and digesting everything in their profile. It's all I have to go on to tell me what she's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I'd also go nowhere near someone wearing a bikini as a profile pic, or a pic at all on a site like that. Very egotistical. Comes across as shallow, can't be seen wearing penneys clothes type. So add to your experiment honey-ec ;) A picture can tell a lot about someone.

Do you honestly not think that is an extreme deduction of a persons character based upon a single photo?

What do the pictures on your profile say about your character?

Do you honestly not think that is an extreme deduction of a persons character based upon a single photo?

What do the pictures on your profile say about your character?

For one, I said "can".

Secondly, my pictures show I have a good time with my friends, have an education, and that I play sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

So, a 24-hour experiment on my POF profile resulted in - 427 messages.

Ha i feckin knew it !! the moment i spotted it though .. what's she up to now .. clearly i didnt read your profile.. as i wasnt gonna be replying to you anyway .. but interesting all the same ...

And I can confirm it's deffo not an ego boot honey-ec needs lol ,,

Ha i feckin knew it !! the moment i spotted it though .. what's she up to now .. clearly i didnt realy your profile.. as i wasnt gonna be replying to you anyway .. but interesting all the same ...

And I can confirm it's deffo not an ego boot honey-ec needs lol ,,

More of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Galvasean wrote: »
    God only knows whose saved those photos and could potentially use them for God knows what! :(

W*nking material??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    W*nking material??? :D

I would imagine that is the least of it. I'd be more concerned about such pictures showing up on an advert to a dodgy site. One of those "Meet horny girls in your area now!" kind of things. *shudder*

I would imagine that is the least of it. I'd be more concerned about such pictures showing up on an advert to a dodgy site. One of those "Meet horny girls in your area now!" kind of things. *shudder*

How do you know the horny girls sites are dodgy? Have you tried them? :) I've seen a few girls profiles with revealing photos. Sometimes I do message them for the hell of it, but I never get a reply tbh. When you message a girl like that, your message and picture are just going to get lost in a sea of horny men.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They're dodgy? Hmmm, that would explain why that one who looked identical to Elisha Cuthbert never got back to me.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How do you know the horny girls sites are dodgy? Have you tried them? :) I've seen a few girls profiles with revealing photos. Sometimes I do message them for the hell of it, but I never get a reply tbh. When you message a girl like that, your message and picture are just going to get lost in a sea of horny men.

...and why would you mail a girl with a pic like that up? ;)

Perhaps because you think she might be a bit...easier than someone with all their bits covered well up? Pretty much scoops the above "experiment" into the bin.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They're dodgy? Hmmm, that would explain why that one who looked identical to Elisha Cuthbert never got back to me.

Not to mention those ads with beautiful model-type girls from Russia and Asia. Do these places not have average looking women? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Yeah like the site she's actually on, saying these girls are online now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Prick! will be taking a week's holiday from this thread as he/she went down a road that's not taken too kindly round these parts, he/she was uncivil to another poster.
    Simple moral of the story folks, don't go down that road,
    Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement