Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The irony - the bikini was from Penney's!

Anyway, I don't feel the need to defend myself or the experiment at all. Any regular posters on this thread know I couldn't be more genuine about myself and my online dating exploits. Anyone else - meh. They can think what they want.

And I can't remember who it was, but someone asked whether I got any genuine "potentials" out of it and the answer is yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Honey-ec wrote: »

And I can't remember who it was, but someone asked whether I got any genuine "potentials" out of it and the answer is yes.

That was me. Just out of interest, would you not wonder why this person only mailed you when seeing a bikini pic?
    Don't get me wrong I think it's great if it's been a success but I know I'd be wondering why they didn't contact me before!

That was me. Just out of interest, would you not wonder why this person only mailed you when seeing a bikini pic?
    Don't get me wrong I think it's great if it's been a success but I know I'd be wondering why they didn't contact me before!

No, sure you could say that about any message - why didn't they send it before, why are they only sending it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

How is the online dating going for everybody? I'm not bothered with it anymore, too much hassle and I'm not even sure about what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

How is the online dating going for everybody? I'm not bothered with it anymore, too much hassle and I'm not even sure about what I want.

I was looking at this thread signed up on friday, nearly deleted it this evening but will give it till the weekend, just more of a face to face person. That's my excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No, sure you could say that about any message - why didn't they send it before, why are they only sending it now?

Yeah true, you'd drive yourself mad wondering anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

All the poor guys who upload topless photos of themselves and send out dic pics to women and get no response. All a woman needs to do is upload one bikini photo and her inbox is flooded. It's easy to see who has the advantage with online dating.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    All the poor guys who upload topless photos of themselves and send out dic pics to women and get no response. All a woman needs to do is upload one bikini photo and her inbox is flooded. It's easy to see who has the advantage with online dating.

Have you spoken to any guys who've done the topless thing and not gotten one single response? Honestly?

I'll add the caveat that I'm taking it as a given they were in good shape.

Have you spoken to any guys who've done the topless thing and not gotten one single response? Honestly?

I'll add the caveat that I'm taking it as a given they were in good shape.

No but plenty of women have complained about it on this and POF. It's obvious that women don't want to see dic pics. Men on the other hand probably wouldn't mind seen a few tit pics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    No but plenty of women have complained about it on this and POF. It's obvious that women don't want to see dic pics. Men on the other hand probably wouldn't mind seen a few tit pics. :D

Speak for yourself :confused: Aren't there enough photos of ample cleavage all over the web without feel the ned to see them on a dating site ?

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Speak for yourself :confused: Aren't there enough photos of ample cleavage all over the web without feel the ned to see them on a dating site ?

Well who's going to object? There's plenty of photos of women in bikini's on the web too, but as we've just found out... many men like to see them on a dating site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

A a guy of 50+, my personal contribution to the discussion on profile photos is that I NEVER cease to be amazed at the pure cringeworthy awfulness of some of the photos that ladies put up on their profile. Ladies being in the bracket 39 - 53 or so. I sometimes (strike that, regularly..) look aghast at profile photos taken at drunken parties and weddings, with flushed distorted faces, dress malfunctions and at smiling burnt faces on holidays wearing clothing that makes them look .... well .... let's say less than alluring ;)
    And these are not rare ! Do women not 'think' before they put them up ? Now and again a profile leaps off the page where the lady has actually gone to some trouble to show themselves at their best. That speaks volumes about their character and self respect to me.

I sometimes (strike that, regularly..) look aghast at profile photos taken at drunken parties and weddings, with flushed distorted faces, dress malfunctions and at smiling burnt faces on holidays wearing clothing that makes them look .... well .... let's say less than alluring ;)

Yeah I agree there are a lot of terrible photos on dating sites, but a lot of that is down to the photographer. People get drunk at parties. People get burnt faces on holiday. What would you rather see? Professional photos done in a studio? Some people just can't take a decent photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

A a guy of 50+, my personal contribution to the discussion on profile photos is that I NEVER cease to be amazed at the pure cringeworthy awfulness of some of the photos that ladies put up on their profile. Ladies being in the bracket 39 - 53 or so. I sometimes (strike that, regularly..) look aghast at profile photos taken at drunken parties and weddings, with flushed distorted faces, dress malfunctions and at smiling burnt faces on holidays wearing clothing that makes them look .... well .... let's say less than alluring ;)
    And these are not rare ! Do women not 'think' before they put them up ?U Now and again a profile leaps off the page where the lady has actually gone to some trouble to show themselves at their best. That speaks volumes about their character and self respect to me.

This is what I have been wondering about guys profile pics!!! Ok apart from the dodgy ones, a lot of guys don't do themselves any favours with the pics they put up. Obviously a lot of people go out and get hammered, but is that how you want to represent yourself to a prospective date?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know the only recent pics I had were from my mum's birthday party in May. Apart from that I think it's a couple years, so I didn't have much choice if wanted to show what I look like. Though I don't think I've changed much in the past 10 years. :)

But, yeah, I know some people want to show how they enjoy "having the craic" but at 30+ years of age you might also want to show you can be sensible as well. So a main photo of being sober(or in a bikini if you prefer. :)), then the rest can be whatever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is what I have been wondering about guys profile pics!!! Ok apart from the dodgy ones, a lot of guys don't do themselves any favours with the pics they put up. Obviously a lot of people go out and get hammered, but is that how you want to represent yourself to a prospective date?!!!

I don't see any reason to have more than 1 or maybe 2 'out with my mates' type pics. I see so many profiles that show nothing of the person other than half a dozen of duck impressions...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say a lot of people find it hard to find photos of themselves where copious amounts of alcohol have not been involved and settle for them. That said, the question that pops into my head when I see such a profile is, "Have they nothing else?". I mean, I like to get buckled the odd time like most people, but it's not the be all and end all of my life.
    actually, come to think of it I don't mention alcohol once in my profile and am sober in all of my photos. Maybe that's why nobody messages me these days? They probably think I'm a dry shyte :o

I just figured out now, after seeing it posted on many profiles, that '4um' means 'from'.
    The English language bled....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Date last night. Went absolutely brilliantly. I find it hilarious that the first person I got chatting to, on the first day I signed up turned out to be such a kick ass girl... and to top it off she messaged me first.

I are a happy panda, can't wait to see her again.

. I find it hilarious that the first person I got chatting to, on the first day I signed up turned out to be such a kick ass girl... and to top it off she messaged me first.

Beginners luck! :mad:

Congrats man! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Date last night. Went absolutely brilliantly. I find it hilarious that the first person I got chatting to, on the first day I signed up turned out to be such a kick ass girl... and to top it off she messaged me first.

I are a happy panda, can't wait to see her again.

Gerrr outta this thread!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just kiddin'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Galvasean wrote: »
    Beginners luck! :mad:

Congrats man! :pac:

I've been so unlucky in the past it had to even out somewhere!

She's incredibly smart, funny, pretty ,great body. I think the only problem is that she's totally out of my league :pac:.

Went out to a really quiet bar, she was driving so neither of us had a drink. Took a drive out to the beach at night & chatted for hours. Was really surprising how much we had in common.

Zero intention of meeting up with anyone else until I know where this is going.

Honestly though, it's refreshing to hear of a success story.
    Been having a frustrating few weeks with the ol' online dating myself. It seems like I've been putting in a lot of effort, with no reward, despite (based on what I've been reading on this very thread) I've been doing everything right. I'm beginning to wonder if what is considered good practice by the general consensus of females on this thread in fact represents a distinct minority in the grand scheme of things re: OD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Annnnnd I'm back. Ha. Lets see how things go this time.

We saved you a seat. Tell us all about it champ.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if what is considered good practice by the general consensus of females on this thread in fact represents a distinct minority in the grand scheme of things re: OD.

You may be on to something there. I don't think the demographic of people who post on this thread (male and female) is necessarily representative of the people on POF. We're all literate, for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

We're all literate, for one...

spk 4 ur slf

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Hey!

Can I ask, how do you reject someone without sounding like a horrible person and without them turning into one.

Everytime I try I either get the creepy "aw come on ;);)" or something along the lines of "stop being a stuck up b*itch, do you think your good looking or something?"
    I don't like not replying to people...but I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Is there a way to hide your profile on OKC?

• Advertisement

openup wrote: »
    I don't like not replying to people...but I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

It's not worth it. Seriously, just stop replying. It's easier on both parties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement