Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree. When I go to meet a lady for a first date, or in fact any date, I expect that she has made an effort to look nice, dress nice and brush her hair ...not put a photo of her standing on a rock at the local sailing club, in a life vest and lycra shorts, soaking wet and with her hair flying all over her face in a storm...... and a silly grin....In her photo she is introducing herself to me as a prospective date, and someone who makes an effort is saying that she cares about how she looks for the man in her life.....That may seem, on the surface, to be rather serious and stuffy - but this is a dating site and the stakes are important...

With all due respect, I think this is pretty backward. It sounds to me like you wish a lady to give up her own life and interests. How can that be healthy?
    Piliger wrote: »
    I'm not looking for someone to tag along on a hill walk through a mucky glen ... I'm looking for someone to spend quite a lot of time with in the coming months and years and maybe more. And I think most people here are doing more or less the same..

Like your idea of fun has to overtake her idea of fun? Would it mean nothing to you if said mucky glen were her idea of fun? Are you just looking for a clone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hmm, the last 6 or so girls I messaged on POF have viewed my profile. No replies though.
    "What's the matter, too articulate for ya!?!?!?" :mad::pac:
    They're obviously intimidated by your charm and good looks!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

riveratom wrote: »
    Lads, how long do you normally wait before texting, post-first date? Date went well last night, I think anyway, was gonna send a casual text this eve just saying, but don't wanna appear too eager. Would usually wait a day anyway, but at same time don't feel there should be any rules around this sort of thing either.
    Text early this evening just in case she is busy later. It's not too early IMO, first thing this morning may have been a little eager. No harm letting her know you are interested and had fun :)

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Maybe I look more attractive while drunk?

What it is for me is that I detest having my photo taken. I have too much things going on that Im paranoid about, is my head too fat, does my smile make me look like im interested in children, ect. I hate it. So in photos, sober, I look uncomfortable and the photo looks forced.

With a few drinks, i don't care. Meh, is my head big?? Lets blow out my cheeks and make it bigger. Cheeky smile?? Might as well give it the thumbs up too. I'm more relaxed, and I guess look more like me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hmm, the last 6 or so girls I messaged on POF have viewed my profile. No replies though.
    If its of any help, I normally view messages and the senders profiles on my phone but if someone sounds really interesting I usually don't reply right away. I want to take the time to reply properly, take some time and make an effort rather than firing off any old rubbish and ruining my first impression :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Was talking to one of my mates the other day, he's twenty and is thinking about trying online dating, I said to him that he's probably too young and that the crowd online would be a bit older? (based this on my girlfriend knowing no women her age using online dating... not exactly a scientific method)

What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭defadman

Met this amazing girl a couple of months ago and was mad about her!! she seemed to have lovely personality,goodlooking and was into the same hobbies I liked!I keep in quite frequent contact with her despite us living 50/60 miles away from each other!! I knever told her that I like her cause I thought I probably won't see her again unless it's just coincidence!I'm afraid to tell her how I feel because of the distance and also that she'll think I not to her liking!! what do I do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

On a personal note, I have not been on a date in a couple of weeks and feeling lonely at this stage......anyone out dating this weekend? Good luck to anyone that is!

Only a couple of weeks??? God I've lost count of how many months its been. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Honestly though, it's refreshing to hear of a success story.

False alarm. Sent her a text during the week to ask if she'd like to go out again sometime soon. No reply, so I left it for a few days. Saw she had been online so thought it a bit strange because things had gone so well.

Sent her one more message today, just to say I hoped everything was alright. Said I do like her & if she changes her mind she knows where I am.

Seems now she's blocked me. Bit harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yikes. I think you were entitled to make reasonably sure it was a cold trail and it sounds a bit heavy handed of her. All you can do now is pick yourself up and dust yourself off, matey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

TBH, that was harsh and extremely rude! you have every right to know if its a dead end so to speak but the least she could do is just reply to a text and be honest, not block you and be a coward!

Like cantdecide said, just pick yourself up. Its just a step back but its fine, you can do better than her! :)

Honestly though, it's refreshing to hear of a success story.

False alarm. Sent her a text during the week to ask if she'd like to go out again sometime soon. No reply, so I left it for a few days. Saw she had been online so thought it a bit strange because things had gone so well.

Sent her one more message today, just to say I hoped everything was alright. Said I do like her & if she changes her mind she knows where I am.

Sounds harsh alright, that sucks. Some people don't know how to just say that they don't feel.the same way or don't want a second date. Bit of an.extreme way to do it all the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

If she hasn't the balls or even the common decency to get back to you then you've moved into 'bullet dodged' territory mate. You might like her, but she is not the person you thought you liked, if you think about it logically.

Sounds very familiar to a scenario I had a while back, difference was the girl in question did get back to me within a couple of days.

miamee wrote: »
    Text early this evening just in case she is busy later. It's not too early IMO, first thing this morning may have been a little eager. No harm letting her know you are interested and had fun :)

That I did! In fact I did that before I even read your message, good to have the seal of approval too though!

It was a good date but hard to know how it went at the same time, if you know what I mean? We also had to cut it kinda short too, as we were both meeting friends later that night.

riveratom wrote: »
    miamee wrote: »

That I did! In fact I did that before I even read your message, good to have the seal of approval too though!

It was a good date but hard to know how it went at the same time, if you know what I mean? We also had to cut it kinda short too, as we were both meeting friends later that night.
    Sounds like a good excuse for a second date if one was needed!

Wouldn't pass any remarks dude. They get hundreds of messages, I would say a lot are also on there mainly just to pass the time as well.

Plus, unless you match up VERY closely to what they're after (and that's everything to do with their preferences and nothing to do with you), then it's possibly too easy for them to pass you over and wait for someone who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Removed my account on that particular site. Didn't really like anyone I was talking to apart from that one person to be honest. Might try one of the other ones later on but I'm a bit too bummed out now to be bothered. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm completely soft.

I'm just puzzled. It did actually go really quite well. I was worried at first something had happened with her, it's such an unusual response.

Even lying, and making up a reason to decline would have been better in my opinion. Or even just say no, flat out. I don't expect someone I don't really know to explain themselves to me.

Removed my account on that particular site. Didn't really like anyone I was talking to apart from that one person to be honest. Might try one of the other ones later on but I'm a bit too bummed out now to be bothered. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm completely soft.

I'm just puzzled. It did actually go really quite well. I was worried at first something had happened with her, it's such an unusual response.

Even lying, and making up a reason to decline would have been better in my opinion. Or even just say no, flat out. I don't expect someone I don't really know to explain themselves to me.

Don't suppose the site was Match no...? Prob not, seeing as most people are on the free ones mainly here.

Of course you are bummed if you genuinely liked her and thought it went well. Give yourself a little break from the sites for a bit, then decide what to try next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Is there any way of limiting your search results on POF to the Republic? Keep getting people from Northern Ireland chatting to me as I'm just south of the border. They just don't float my boat :-(

• Advertisement

Is there any way of limiting your search results on POF to the Republic? Keep getting people from Northern Ireland chatting to me as I'm just south of the border. They just don't float my boat :-(

Well yes you can search by county.

screenshot_2012_09_02_1022.jpg

Happened to see this on the POF mobile app and it made me laugh. That woman on the left must have a really long arm.

And here's the biggest problem with online dating...

Women's Photos.jpg

I think to be fair, if someone is fat, they're going to be fat all over.
    Chick still has a fat face.

I think to be fair, if someone is fat, they're going to be fat all over.
    Chick still has a fat face.

Well I've seen a few head shots of women where they looked very nice, usually the main profile pic. A slight tilt of the head or placement of the shoulders can make a huge difference in a photo. Then they might have one full lenght shot and they look completely different in that. Many people have pointed out that the person they meet often looks a lot different in person, sometimes in a good way though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

POF

What exactly is entailed in hiding a profile on POF and to what extent does it actually hide it ? I gather it hides it from searches, but what about from people's inbox ? and can it be clicked through to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Well I went on a date last night with a gorgeous girl who has me thinking of hanging up my OD boots, but for all the right reasons! Early days obviously but watch this space folks!

Well I went on a date last night with a gorgeous girl who has me thinking of hanging up my OD boots, but for all the right reasons! Early days obviously but watch this space folks!

Fecking rub it in why don't ya? :mad: :pac:

It's nice to see someone's doing well. Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Best of luck, great to see success stories :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Pembily wrote: »
    Best of luck, great to see success stories :)

Does that mean everyone on this thread gets wedding invites? :P

Anyway my turn to get started on actually making an effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement