Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Got another date lined up for next week...

Out of all the girls I've met or chatted with, she seems the most interesting thus far, I had a few 'raised eyebrows' moments reading her profile, she just sounds real interesting and independent. Two musts when it comes to the opposite sex :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Piliger wrote: »
    POF

What exactly is entailed in hiding a profile on POF and to what extent does it actually hide it ? I gather it hides it from searches, but what about from people's inbox ? and can it be clicked through to ?

It will hide it from all searches, but if someone you've been messaging still has the conversation in their inbox, they can still access your profile.

Hmmmmmmm.

Here's an interesting one. I got chatting with this girl who is supposedly from Dublin on one of the free sites, now it was mainly purely out of interest because her main profile photo looks like something out of a magazine or MTV. Have had only a few emails back and forth, with her mainly giving short one-line answers.

The last email I sent was 'what brings you to {Site Name}', and this morning I saw that she had read my last email and has replied with 'I'm here to meet someone, my number is xxx-xxxxxxx' !!

Just like that!

My thinking is that this could be a way of getting numbers so you can be sent lots of phone chat messages and what not! Thoughts?!

riveratom wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmm.

Here's an interesting one. I got chatting with this girl who is supposedly from Dublin on one of the free sites, now it was mainly purely out of interest because her main profile photo looks like something out of a magazine or MTV. Have had only a few emails back and forth, with her mainly giving short one-line answers.

The last email I sent was 'what brings you to {Site Name}', and this morning I saw that she had read my last email and has replied with 'I'm here to meet someone, my number is xxx-xxxxxxx' !!

Just like that!

My thinking is that this could be a way of getting numbers so you can be sent lots of phone chat messages and what not! Thoughts?!

Spambot. Or possibly a real person, but still collecting numbers to spam.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Spambot. Or possibly a real person, but still collecting numbers to spam.

Yep, my money is on spam-bot too alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Uninstalled the POF app from my phone this morning. I have had it up to the proverbial with that site and its woeful layout. Still gonna pop in and out of OKC. Yeah, there's a lot less users on it, but by in large they are a hell of a lot more literate and 'pound for pound' the profiles are vastly better, with much more genuine people.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some nice people out there on POF, but I really can't be bothered searching for them in a sea of txt spk. I just don't have the time or patience these days.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Uninstalled the POF app from my phone this morning. I have had it up to the proverbial with that site and its woeful layout. Still gonna pop in and out of OKC. Yeah, there's a lot less users on it, but by in large they are a hell of a lot more literate and 'pound for pound' the profiles are vastly better, with much more genuine people.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some nice people out there on POF, but I really can't be bothered searching for them in a sea of txt spk. I just don't have the time or patience these days.

Tis a site full of little princesses!

I've been mailing back and forth with a girl on it though, who seems really nice (and literate!!), only thing is there's always a bit of a pause in between her replies. I hadn't heard from her in about a week or so and had written her off until I got a nice surprise email from here last night. Replied with a nice breezy message so hopefully will hear back later!

If and when she does reply, I'm just gonna ask her out. My last message had strong hints of that, as I was asking when she was up in Dublin next..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

A quick observation on profile pics.

I've just noticed quite a large number of girls with one or two photos and they are wearing sunglasses.

Honestly, why bother if you can't even see someone's eyes?

I suppose they think they look cool. No, you just look a bit, well... shifty.

The same applies to men as well, obviously.

A quick observation on profile pics.

I've just noticed quite a large number of girls with one or two photos and they are wearing sunglasses.

Honestly, why bother if you can't even see someone's eyes?

I suppose they think they look cool. No, you just look a bit, well... shifty.

The same applies to men as well, obviously.

I think there's an element of not wanting to be recognised...

There's also an element of "everybody looks good in sunglasses", which is why I never trust a profile where the only pic they have up is a sunglasses one. Same goes for baseball caps. All men look good in a baseball cap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I think there's an element of not wanting to be recognised...

I realise there's an element of that, but I would question the motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Yeah but why would you put up a hot photo and then show up and be mad ugly?? It doesn't make sense to me. I would rather put up a rough out picture, and show up looking a little bit better.

Its kind of like when youd get in trouble at home as a teenager.

"Im not angry, Im disappointed". Disappointment is always worse than anger. I would hope nobody would freak out at their date, "how dare you, pretend to me you weren't fat, you're a troll!" - rather, they would make polite conversation, never to contact you again after the date because they were disappointed that you turned out not to be as pretty as they thought??

well wouldnt it be nicer to have it the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Yeah but why would you put up a hot photo and then show up and be mad ugly?? It doesn't make sense to me. I would rather put up a rough out picture, and show up looking a little bit better.

For one thing people aren't necessarily honest with themselves about how they look - they want to believe the best picture from the best angle is what best represents them.

For another there are those that think if they can get someone interested they can win them over with their other attributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It's a bit like a McDonald's menu. You walk in and see a picture of a big fat juicy burger and you say, "Ohh I fancy some of that." Then you get it and its a little flat fecking burger which looks nothing like the picture. Now on the other hand... if they were to put up a picture of a flat unappealing burger then not as many people will want to buy it. So a good photo will get more attention. At least if you meet a person who doesn't look as good as they do in their photo, you might still like their personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MizzWolfie

I've a close-up of myself wearing absolutely no make-up as one of my pics (not the profile :o) so no one can be crying caveat emptor! Was a teensy bit tempted to use flattering pics from a few years ago but picked a bunch of badly lit though somewhat accurate shots from the last year.

I'm 30 and was on dating sites briefly when I was 23 and 26. Though I'm receiving less mail overall it's not at all as little as I feared. And a lot less messers too, which is good.

im so conflicted on what to do. start with od again, or just stick to what i know in teh form of an ex-boyfriend. he made it clear last night what he thought, initally i wasn't interested, but now i have no idea what to do. bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Whatever you do Drama Queen, don't go back to the ex just because OD doesn't seem to be working. And make sure that whatever broke ye up has been resolved and things will be different this time.

it was my fault we broke up, im a much better person when hes in my life, but then - im thinking, move on?? online dating is much easier, for that i suppose. dunno what to do. am meeting him later so might see what happens and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Hey I'm thinking of giving this whole interweb dating a shot but haven't a clue where to start, what sites do people recommend?

There seem to be two main choices:

Pof - lots of people, quality questionable
    Ok Cupid - almost no-one, suits a certain type

Pof is unbelievably ugly, Ok Cupid is quite a pretty site.

I wouldn't bother with any others though I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There seem to be two main choices:

Pof - lots of people, quality questionable
    Ok Cupid - almost no-one, suits a certain type

Pof is unbelievably ugly, Ok Cupid is quite a pretty site.

I wouldn't bother with any others though I may be wrong.

What happened to Match.com ? Used it to good affect a couple of years ago but haven't visited it since.

Match and CupidRocks are both good options too.

Piliger wrote: »
    What happened to Match.com ? Used it to good affect a couple of years ago but haven't visited it since.

I've no experience of it so couldn't comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've never tried Match but I'd imagine it would be a bit like OKC, slim pickings. I could be worng but I couldn't see as many people paying for a site when there are free ones out there. How much does Match cost anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I've never tried Match but I'd imagine it would be a bit like OKC, slim pickings. I could be worng but I couldn't see as many people paying for a site when there are free ones out there. How much does Match cost anyway?

30 euro a month. slim pickings is right. Problem with it is people put up pics and never take them down, you end up messaging people who haven't logged in for months and need to fork out to read the bloody thing anyway.

godeas16 wrote: »
    30 euro a month. slim pickings is right. Problem with it is people put up pics and never take them down, you end up messaging people who haven't logged in for months and need to fork out to read the bloody thing anyway.

Completely disagree, there are loads of very recent profiles, you can see when they've last logged in and the quality of people/profiles is a million years higher than the like of POF and OKC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

OK, sorry but I'm not up with all the acronym's, POF, OKC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Completely disagree, there are loads of very recent profiles, you can see when they've last logged in and the quality of people/profiles is a million years higher than the like of POF and OKC!

I haven't had a paid subscription for months but I logged in today when I got the usual daily mail of my matches and clicked on a profile of a pic I liked. If someone saw that and mailed me they wouldn't be hearing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Honey-ec wrote: »
    There's also an element of "everybody looks good in sunglasses", which is why I never trust a profile where the only pic they have up is a sunglasses one. Same goes for baseball caps. All men look good in a baseball cap...

I beg to differ

kevin_teenager_270.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

dylbert wrote: »
    OK, sorry but I'm not up with all the acronym's, POF, OKC?
    Pof = Plenty of Fish
    OKC = Ok Cupid

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement