Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

riveratom wrote: »
    Is that why you called it off after the second date with this most recent girl?

I wouldn't think it is something to be concerned about, because most people will want chemistry. I'm sure there might be some who would continue with things maybe because they are bored or getting desperate or whatever, but I'm sure that would become obvious pretty quickly.

Yeah pretty much... I suppose I'm just after getting fairly serious in my head about meeting someone for a long term relationship and if there isn't a strong mutual attraction from the get-go, making allowances of course for a first date & all the nervousness that goes with that for both parties, sure why pursue it any further?

In this case, I definitely fancied her but wasn't feeling it back on that level to any great extent so that was were we ran into the quicksand so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

In this case, I definitely fancied her but wasn't feeling it back on that level to any great extent so that was were we ran into the quicksand so to speak.

I think when you're not getting the 'vibe' off them, you lose interest yourself pretty quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Why would a woman meet someone who refuses to give her his phone number?

I'm seeing a definite male/female split on this one.

I don't think it's a gender split (or maybe I'm just a big girlie man). I would be hesitant to meet up with someone who hadn't given me their number. I've been on dates where the girl was anything up to an hour late (legitimate reasons). If we hadn't had exchanged numbers I could have easily thought I was being stood up (as it happened once before) and left before the girl arrived.
    And no, not everybody has a smart phone either.
    I suppose I would meet up with someone who didn't want to exchange numbers, if I felt they genuinely might have bad experiences with creepy stalkery types, but I'd defanatley have some form of backup plan in case of a now show (actually, I ALWAYS have aback up plan now...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Any dates this weekend folks??

Larianne wrote: »
    I think when you're not getting the 'vibe' off them, you lose interest yourself pretty quickly too.

Tis weird cos I felt it on the first date big time, to the point where I probably let myself get my hopes up prematurely, but on the second, it just seemed to have waned off an awful lot. Sure that's the way the cookie crumbles... Not really in the mood now for going back to OD now I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Why would you meet someone you suspect might be a complete nutter or crazy stalker?

Why would a woman meet someone who refuses to give her his phone number?

Because you're meeting up to see what they're like? That could be good OR bad.

Sure that's the way the cookie crumbles... Not really in the mood now for going back to OD now I have to say.

Take a break perhaps? I haven't logged into an OD site in a few days now and it is quite refreshing as I was getting very frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing (to the point where I could feel myself becoming bitter and nasty on the inside... my inner troll was starting to stir and I'd rather leave him lie because frankly, he's an asshole).
    I'll probably pop back onto OD in a week or two when I'm more in the mood for it. There's no point 'going through the motions' on it when you aren't really feeling up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Yesterday's nice date went nicely. :D

Round 2 in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't think it's a gender split (or maybe I'm just a big girlie man). I would be hesitant to meet up with someone who hadn't given me their number. I've been on dates where the girl was anything up to an hour late (legitimate reasons). If we hadn't had exchanged numbers I could have easily thought I was being stood up (as it happened once before) and left before the girl arrived.
    And no, not everybody has a smart phone either.
    I suppose I would meet up with someone who didn't want to exchange numbers, if I felt they genuinely might have bad experiences with creepy stalkery types, but I'd defanatley have some form of backup plan in case of a now show (actually, I ALWAYS have aback up plan now...).

How could anyone stand you up, Galva? :eek: :P

Also, no date this weekend as the guy I've been seeing is busy with family stuff, and I have a pretty painful back injury so can't really walk much at the moment. Absolutely fantastic date last time I saw him, though, and date planned during the week. :) I think it's nearly 3 months now. :)

Anyone else got dates planned this weekend? :)

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Also, no date this weekend as the guy I've been seeing is busy with family stuff, and I have a pretty painful back injury so can't really walk much at the moment. Absolutely fantastic date last time I saw him, though, and date planned during the week. :) I think it's nearly 3 months now. :)

Anyone else got dates planned this weekend? :)

Hardly called dating now is it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I'm a man ......

LyndaMcL wrote: »

It's easy. Don't turn up and stick your phone on silent. :rolleyes:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Take a break perhaps? I haven't logged into an OD site in a few days now and it is quite refreshing as I was getting very frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing (to the point where I could feel myself becoming bitter and nasty on the inside... my inner troll was starting to stir and I'd rather leave him lie because frankly, he's an asshole).
    I'll probably pop back onto OD in a week or two when I'm more in the mood for it. There's no point 'going through the motions' on it when you aren't really feeling up to it.

Yeah ... met a gorgeous lady on Sunday - perfect age and everything else for me .. had a great conversation for 90 mins .. got the "best of luck" message on Monday ... still really sore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm surprised so many people don't exchange phone numbers before meeting up for a date. What if you had to cancel last minute or your car broke down or something? You may not be able to let them know. If you're willing to take the risk of meeting a complete stranger, then you shouldn't have a problem giving them your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Larianne wrote: »

You've got to have good vibes initially at least or it's game over really. A waste of effort.

Piliger wrote: »
    Yeah ... met a gorgeous lady on Sunday - perfect age and everything else for me .. had a great conversation for 90 mins .. got the "best of luck" message on Monday ... still really sore :(

That's too bad Piliger.

If it's any consolation the same thing has happened to me as well.

Kind of makes you wonder what some people actually want...

It's her loss. Honestly.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'm surprised so many people don't exchange phone numbers before meeting up for a date. What if you had to cancel last minute or your car broke down or something? You may not be able to let them know. If you're willing to take the risk of meeting a complete stranger, then you shouldn't have a problem giving them your phone number.

I agree.

I haven't heard anything yet from the girl I'm supposedly meeting on Sunday. Being the gallant kinda guy I am, I gave her my number to reassure her I'm not a nutcase, but so far haven't heard from her.

Part of me is now thinking that I can't be arsed. Difficult people are everywhere. It's just a cup of coffee for fck sake.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I re-joined POF and within about 2 hours had an email from that girl who was sending me the strange texts, even though I created a brand new profile with a new username. Almost ended up deleting my profile straight away!

I guess I'm expecting too much by wanting a normal single girl who I'm interested in who's interested in me the same way.

G-Money wrote: »
    I re-joined POF and within about 2 hours had an email from that girl who was sending me the strange texts, even though I created a brand new profile with a new username. Almost ended up deleting my profile straight away!

I guess I'm expecting too much by wanting a normal single girl who I'm interested in who's interested in me the same way.

Waayyyyyy too much to expect :P

Have a date tomorrow night. Met her twice before and she has a free house for the evening so a DVD night in store!

Also I messaged a woman and she replied with "you mentioned your parish priest, no thanks".

I mentioned it in regard to being asked by him to be a Eucharistic minister which I was proud of.
    I told her she could have just ignored my mail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

What do you say for your first message in general? Just read the profile and say aw I like Mr. X too, that's so cool blah blah blah?

I was on pof before but just never really bothered sent out a few messages to no reply's so just gave up.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    What do you say for your first message in general? Just read the profile and say aw I like Mr. X too, that's so cool blah blah blah?

I was on pof before but just never really bothered sent out a few messages to no reply's so just gave up.

I sent round messages tonight and basically asking " have you any plans for the weekend", could always ask them did they "do anything nice for the weekend" on Monday. Depends on the day and yeah mention something from the profile, like asking what their unusual interest involves,etc!

I sent round messages tonight and basically asking " have you any plans for the weekend", could always ask them did they "do anything nice for the weekend" on Monday. Depends on the day and yeah mention something from the profile, like asking what their unusual interest involves,etc!

I don't know what age group you are in ... but my goodness there must be oodles of eligible women online in that group if you can pick multiple ones that you fancy and send around the same message ... ? or are you just sending a message to everyone ?

Piliger wrote: »

I don't know what age group you are in ... but my goodness there must be oodles of eligible women online in that group if you can pick multiple ones that you fancy and send around the same message ... ? or are you just sending a message to everyone ?

Just any I like the look of. And even though my message may have given the impression that I spent all night sending round the same message I didn't. Was 4/5 at most.

They really need to come up with an "Ignore Profile" button for POF. Nothing more annoying that looking at the who's viewed you list and seeing someone there who rubbed you up the wrong way previously...

They really need to come up with an "Ignore Profile" button for POF. Nothing more annoying that looking at the who's viewed you list and seeing someone there who rubbed you up the wrong way previously...

Yeah, that's one of the best things about OKC. I honestly think POF want it to be difficult to filter through profiles - makes you spend longer on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Yeah but the pickings are very slim on OKC. POF is still more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Why do you look through that list in the first place? Would you message someone afterwards?

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah but the pickings are very slim on OKC. POF is still more popular.

That is true, but I find with POF there are too many profiles and the vast majority are, frankly, not worth the time spent looking at them. There's a bit of structure to OKC profiles by n' large and they tend to be of higher quality overall (that said, I noticed an influx in rubbish profiles recently).
    But then again, I'm Dublin based. If you're outside the Pale OKC is pretty poor as there's virtually no one on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

So the dude I'd been seeing for a few months is gone. :rolleyes: Things had gotten weird after his dad died, but then a mutual friend let it slip that he slept with someone else last week, despite us being 'exclusive.'

Bit disillusioned with OD now because he seemed lovely online. Guess you never know which ones are douches and which ones a genuine.

Give it a day or two and I'll be back on POF and OkC :D

Good luck with dates this weekend! For me, it's a night of drinking, dancing and licking my wounds! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement