Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Galvasean wrote: »
    That is true, but I find with POF there are too many profiles and the vast majority are, frankly, not worth the time spent looking at them. There's a bit of structure to OKC profiles by n' large and they tend to be of higher quality overall (that said, I noticed an influx in rubbish profiles recently).
    But then again, I'm Dublin based. If you're outside the Pale OKC is pretty poor as there's virtually no one on it.

Ohh I agree the profiles are much better on OKC, but that's not much good to me if there's nobody on it in my area. It's a bit like building a very fancy night club in the middle of nowhere. You walk in on a Saturday night and its empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    So the dude I'd been seeing for a few months is gone. :rolleyes: Things had gotten weird after his dad died, but then a mutual friend let it slip that he slept with someone else last week, despite us being 'exclusive.'

Bit disillusioned with OD now because he seemed lovely online. Guess you never know which ones are douches and which ones a genuine.

Give it a day or two and I'll be back on POF and OkC :D

Good luck with dates this weekend! For me, it's a night of drinking, dancing and licking my wounds! :pac:

Aw that sucks Lynda, sorry to hear it :( What a tool.

Don't worry there are plenty of good ones there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Herrick wrote: »
    Aw that sucks Lynda, sorry to hear it :( What a tool.

Don't worry there are plenty of good ones there too.

It's all good. Onwards and upwards! Bit gutted obviously, but it was a few months, no love of my life romance. :) Met plenty of lovely guy from OD, so I'm sure it'll happen again when I jump back into it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm taking a break from OD for a while. Not having much luck lately. I'm gonna try approaching random strangers when I'm out. See how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Larianne wrote: »
    Why do you look through that list in the first place? Would you message someone afterwards?

Yeah if someone ads me as a fav or I get a new mail, or I get one of those "Flirt" or Meet me" messages, I always check if they've bothered looking at my profile before deciding to reply or whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Taken the advice about not messaging someone for too long and have just agreed to meet a guy tomorrow for coffee. We just started chatting this morning!
    It's more of an opportunity thing, he lives in Limerick and says he is coming to Dublin for the day tomorrow. We'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Completely out of the blue but I have a dinner date tonight at 9. The unexpected dates are always the best, hope this doesn't disappoint :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Was mailing a guy a bit on OKC. He said he really liked me and wanted to meet up, so I suggested this evening.

So as I approached the meeting point I though I saw someone that could have been him, and we had been texting up to this point because I was trying to find the place, so I knew he was there already. Next thing this person seems to walk away very suddenly, so I presumed it wasn't him.

I waited around a bit, looking for him, because I don't know the place too well I didn't know exactly where he might be waiting. Then I got a text just saying "sorry, had to go"

I'm so confused! He knew what I looked like already, and anyway I was kinda too far away for that to be the reason..

Hmmm. I'm not even upset by it, as I only kinda wanted someone to hang out with for the evening rather than thinking it was going to be a long term thing... but I'm so confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

wha wrote: »
    Was mailing a guy a bit on OKC. He said he really liked me and wanted to meet up, so I suggested this evening.

So as I approached the meeting point I though I saw someone that could have been him, and we had been texting up to this point because I was trying to find the place, so I knew he was there already. Next thing this person seems to walk away very suddenly, so I presumed it wasn't him.

I waited around a bit, looking for him, because I don't know the place too well I didn't know exactly where he might be waiting. Then I got a text just saying "sorry, had to go"

I'm so confused! He knew what I looked like already, and anyway I was kinda too far away for that to be the reason..

Hmmm. I'm not even upset by it, as I only kinda wanted someone to hang out with for the evening rather than thinking it was going to be a long term thing... but I'm so confused!

Jasus that sounds downright odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Thats so rude :eek:, did you think it might have been him that was standing there?

Were you late or anything like that. You said that you were to far away for him to have seen you, so maby he had an emergency or something like that, but even still he should have at least met you and said "listen somethings came up and i really have to go" at least he wouldnt have stood you up or left you wondering, thats just plain bad manners.

Tbh your probably better off. Forget him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Oh the joys of online dating,I'm just back from the beach and drove through Lisdoonvarna.
    There's plenty of 30 somethings strutting their stuff.

The Q club will be rockin tonight :)

There's at least 5 women from Dublin who are on POF up this weekend.

So il be keeping my eyes peeled ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Some kind of social anxiety maybe causing him to bottle it. Sounds weird for sure. I wouldn't pursue this guy any further unless he offers the mother and father of all explanations...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Oh yeah I'm not going to bother with him again!

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad other people think it's as weird as I did

Strange strange boy

just wondering is there a way on okc to be offline when your on your profile

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Changed a pic, unhid my profile. Come here fishy fishy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Compo82

I'm thinking of trying on-line dating but don't really know what websites are the best. Pub and nightclubs doesn't seem to be working for me. I've heard of POF and few others but could anyone recommend the best websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Compo82 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying on-line dating but don't really know what websites are the best. Pub and nightclubs doesn't seem to be working for me. I've heard of POF and few others but could anyone recommend the best websites?

I've used Ok Cupid, Match, Plenty of Fish, CupidRocks and Another Friend.

Ok Cupid - got one date, sent out several other mails with no replies, but haven't used it to a huge extent.

Match - have had the most success here. Profiles are a cut above the free sites, and have had several dates from it.

Plenty of Fish - pretty atrocious. Have sent dozens of emails and one reply in total. Profiles appear to be copied from a template somewhere.

CupidRocks - seems good and some attractive profiles for sure, need to revisit it soon.

Another Friend - used it for a while, seemed fairly ok, terrible website usability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Got an email informing me I had a mail on OKC so logged in no mail...

Damn their dirty tricks!

I'm staying off OD... I mean it this time! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I came back to OKC about 2 weeks ago. Don't know what I did different this time but I get on average 1 message a day from women and a fair few views. Not boasting or anything but something must be a miss !!! :confused:

Seem to be getting a fair few views from women in their late 30s and 40s...

And just got a wink from a 42 year old lady...she doesn't look it really though!

Should I email? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

riveratom wrote: »

And just got a wink from a 42 year old lady...she doesn't look it really though!

I have no idea how old you are but why not? I've done the younger guy thing and now meeting a 42 year old man for coffee tomorrow. Not sure about it, last time I dated an older man was a long time ago. Sure what's the worst can happen? :D

miamee wrote: »
    I have no idea how old you are but why not? I've done the younger guy thing and now meeting a 42 year old man for coffee tomorrow. Not sure about it, last time I dated an older man was a long time ago. Sure what's the worst can happen? :D

Yeah realised I hadn't said! I'm early 30s.

What was the age gap when you 'did the younger guy thing', can I ask? :D
    Sure what's the worst can happen? :D

Now this attitude I like! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Compo82

I've used Ok Cupid, Match, Plenty of Fish, CupidRocks and Another Friend.

Ok Cupid - got one date, sent out several other mails with no replies, but haven't used it to a huge extent.

Match - have had the most success here. Profiles are a cut above the free sites, and have had several dates from it.

Plenty of Fish - pretty atrocious. Have sent dozens of emails and one reply in total. Profiles appear to be copied from a template somewhere.

CupidRocks - seems good and some attractive profiles for sure, need to revisit it soon.

Another Friend - used it for a while, seemed fairly ok, terrible website usability though.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I heard that Match is probably one of the better ones. Might be worth the money.

Yeah realised I hadn't said! I'm early 30s.

What was the age gap when you 'did the younger guy thing', can I ask? :D
    Sure what's the worst can happen? :D

Now this attitude I like! ;)
    Ah not a huge gap to be honest, just 5 years younger :) Never really noticeable.

sure what harm can it do?
    if you like her then why not ;)

sure what harm can it do?
    if you like her then why not ;)

Yeah, I guess I just have this in-built age range that I have in mind usually (kind of early 20s to early 30s), but sure who really cares about that!

I've actually never dated an older woman....could be an experience if it happened...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Do dates always come along like Dublin buses?

I've had no luck with OD for ages, but I have (ahem) not one, but two dates tomorrow!

The first date is a coffee at 2pm and the second is a drink at 6pm. Both ladies seem interesting but we've just exchanged maybe 3-4 messages then straight to the date.

Somebody stop me!

Yeah, I guess I just have this in-built age range that I have in mind usually (kind of early 20s to early 30s), but sure who really cares about that!

I've actually never dated an older woman....could be an experience if it happened...:)

ah i think we all have that, i think its different for guys though, i would be around same as you early 30's and i wouldnt have early 20's in my range. i would prefare to go our with someone older or same age ideally.

ah i think we all have that, i think its different for guys though, i would be around same as you early 30's and i wouldnt have early 20's in my range. i would prefare to go our with someone older or same age ideally.

Yeah think you're right, well by early 20s I guess I mean more 23/24+, more mid-20s really. I guess men usually have a wider age range though alright.

• Advertisement

God lads, two months after about 3 dates with one guy, I am still being asked by him why it didn't work out and can we try again. Trying to be nice about it but not getting very far :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement