Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

hey, a bit of a silly question but im just curious, would a username put you someone's profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

hey, a bit of a silly question but im just curious, would a username put you someone's profile?

Put you off? Yeah I think it would. Depends on what it was. Like if it was sluttyslutmcslut it wouldn't encourage me, at least for a relationship, or even worse a name like missrandomer. :P

Seriously though I have seen names like Fiftyshadesofgrey24. Mine is just similar to my one here. So maybe people think I'm foreign. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Put you off? Yeah I think it would. Depends on what it was. Like if it was sluttyslutmcslut it wouldn't encourage me, at least for a relationship, or even worse a name like missrandomer. :P

Seriously though I have seen names like Fiftyshadesofgrey24. Mine is just similar to my one here. So maybe people think I'm foreign. :)

haha oi you leave my username alone... it dose what it says on the tin!

yep im the same, like your example above, them usernames really just make me think obviously this is what first came to mind and you thought thats a winner..

But any usernames ive used, i put a bit of thought into it, there's usually a reason for the names imo.

some of them are just bizar :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

match.com any good?

Scratch that, setting up the profile is a nightmare. I jacked it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

match.com any good?

Scratch that, setting up the profile is a nightmare. I jacked it in.

Find it quite good, all of the dates I've been on have been from Match, bar one (about 8 dates with 5 different women).

• Advertisement

'hunniixx3748' type-names would put me off alright :)

riveratom wrote: »

but thats not even that bad of a name, there obviously trying to go for cute.

for me its the nasty type names, but i had a look at one profile few minutes ago and as his username was pretty full on lets say, and yet in his profile, he likes butterflies and helping his mum and dose wants to find his soul mate... name and profile just didnt match at all

for me its the nasty type names, but i had a look at one profile few minutes ago and as his username was pretty full on lets say, and yet in his profile, he likes butterflies and helping his mum and dose wants to find his soul mate... name and profile just didnt match at all

Ah yeah twas more tongue in cheek :)

Names are a funny one, I think it's actually difficult to come up with something that sounds good, and then it's so subjective as to what sounds good. So I don't read much into them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Sounds like Buffalo Bill or was that moths?

Whats a good opening line in these things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

riveratom wrote: »

XOXOXlaurasaurusXOXOX...bleurgh

I'd read the profile but she's a goal down in my estimation...

cantdecide wrote: »

why is she a goal down? because of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe she's a fan of Gossip Girl?? Hardly a reason not to message someone. That used to be my trash tv viewing. :o

And she did use a play on words. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lotta girls with 'saurus' in their names. They never reply to me though. I must fetishise them or something...

why is she a goal down? because of the name

I just think it might demonstrate a lack of imagination. You see a lot of these types of usernames. I'm not going to hold it against someone with a username like this, I just won't be expecting a whole pile up.

Conversely, if a girl has a clever, funny or interesting username, it would draw me in.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe she's a fan of Gossip Girl?? Hardly a reason not to message someone. That used to be my trash tv viewing. :o And she did use a play on words. :pac:

Are you XOXLarianneasaurausXOX? If so, I messaged you 23 times and you haven't replied yet... WWWWHHHHYYYYY???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I know people have told me they were put off by my username.....it was just a nickname (a cool one I thought) I was given in college. I wasn't literally hired to kill people (which is what it implies)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Whats a good opening line in these things?
    Usually I start with telling them I like their profile then tell them what things I think we have in common, e.g. similar interest in films or music or something.
    Maybe ask a question or two about that or something else interesting I liked on their profile.

Of course I'm not too sucdessful on these things at the moment so I wouldn't take that as gospel at all. More of a starting point :D

miamee wrote: »
    Usually I start with telling them I like their profile then tell them what things I think we have in common, e.g. similar interest in films or music or something.
    Maybe ask a question or two about that or something else interesting I liked on their profile.

Of course I'm not too sucdessful on these things at the moment so I wouldn't take that as gospel at all. More of a starting point :D

Ok, I was just going for my "in the pub" line of "Hi, how are you?"

Not too effective online... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ok, I was just going for my "in the pub" line of "Hi, how are you?"

Not too effective online... :D

Oh no, definitely not :D To be honest, I mostly ignore any messages that are the sum total of "hi" "hi how are you" or any similar one-liner that shows no interest in me or my profile whatsoever :)

Ok, I was just going for my "in the pub" line of "Hi, how are you?" Not too effective online... :D

Rookie mistake. You need to put on a pot of coffee and start reading the thread back along, matey.

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Oh no, definitely not :D To be honest, I mostly ignore any messages that are the sum total of "hi" "hi how are you" or any similar one-liner that shows no interest in me or my profile whatsoever :)
    Rookie mistake. You need to put on a pot of coffee and start reading the thread back along, matey.

No need, I will make more of an effort with messages in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Great date with a lovely lady last night and we're gonna see each other again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just an interesting discussion on the effect of the recession on gender balance amongst young Irish people at the moment! Hopefully relevant to the current subject matter!
    Mod Edit:
    Gender balance effects as a result of the recession would be a pretty broad topic and deserving of it's own separate thread discussion, whereas this thread is moreso for individual experiences of Online Dating only.
    Panthro

I spent the early noughties watching Reeling in the Years pictures of people abandoning a sinking Ireland in the eighties. Having seen members of my large extended family leave a country which couldn't sustain it's children, I always thought it was just so sad to see families break up. Now, it seems most of my generation have been dismissed to the four corners again. It's just so sad.

You'll need time to truly realise the catastrophe that we are still in the middle of. Only now will we begin to see the true social cost of what each of us are going through.

Dating is fun...

These trends have enormous implications for the nature of the city in the years ahead. If young Irish women continue to leave in such huge numbers, the country will find itself with a slew of Irish bachelors like we had in the 1960s.

What were the reasons for this? I grew up in rural Ireland in the 80s and always noted the number of brothers that shared houses. I have always wondered why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm a little bit freaked out, and I'm only back on POF since yesterday. :(

Now, I know you tend to get your fair share of crap messages and explicit messages, I'm used to that.

But, in the middle of a conversation with someone, he asked me what I'm doing musically (my profile says I have a huge interest in music and do some singing). So, I told him about my gigs and how I'm doing an audition for the Voice (which I probably won't get, lol), asking some questions in return because we seemed to have a lot in common. We had exchanged about 6 messages each at this stage.

I get a response giving out stink to me for doing the Voice. Apparently I'm not a 'real' metal-head if I do that. Now, I'm FAR from a metal head, I'm pretty girlie actually, I just happen to like some pretty heavy music. It also clearly states that I like Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars on my profile, ffs!

Little bit freaked that someone who seemed pretty nice could have a full blown conversation for about an hour and then send me a message full of swearing and abuse just because I don't listen exclusively to heavy metal. Is that REALLY a criteria for a relationship? :pac::pac::pac:

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm a little bit freaked out, and I'm only back on POF since yesterday. :(

Now, I know you tend to get your fair share of crap messages and explicit messages, I'm used to that.

But, in the middle of a conversation with someone, he asked me what I'm doing musically (my profile says I have a huge interest in music and do some singing). So, I told him about my gigs and how I'm doing an audition for the Voice (which I probably won't get, lol), asking some questions in return because we seemed to have a lot in common. We had exchanged about 6 messages each at this stage.

I get a response giving out stink to me for doing the Voice. Apparently I'm not a 'real' metal-head if I do that. Now, I'm FAR from a metal head, I'm pretty girlie actually, I just happen to like some pretty heavy music. It also clearly states that I like Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars on my profile, ffs!

Little bit freaked that someone who seemed pretty nice could have a full blown conversation for about an hour and then send me a message full of swearing and abuse just because I don't listen exclusively to heavy metal. Is that REALLY a criteria for a relationship? :pac::pac::pac:

Metal-heads can be like that. Ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Metal-heads can be like that. Ignore him.

Yeah, I blocked him. It's just strange. I mean, he clearly read my profile because he asked me questions based on it. So, if you want to date someone who listens exclusively to metal and is a 'metal-head,' why message me at all? I might love heavy metal, but I also love pop, hip-hop, opera and stuff, and say that on my profile!

Before I blocked him, he messaged me again saying 'does it bother you that I'm weird?' Immediately hit the block button after that. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Yeah, I blocked him. It's just strange. I mean, he clearly read my profile because he asked me questions based on it. So, if you want to date someone who listens exclusively to metal and is a 'metal-head,' why message me at all? I might love heavy metal, but I also love pop, hip-hop, opera and stuff, and say that on my profile!

Before I blocked him, he messaged me again saying 'does it bother you that I'm weird?' Immediately hit the block button after that. :pac::pac:

Some guys really don't get what turns women off...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement